Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

lovely Wizard posted:

I loving own a Switch and I don't get all the emulation making GBS threads-on going here. If the Switch wasn't portable, I'd probably be doing the same thing as him, so for people who don't care about couch(scratch this if he has a media pc setup)/bed/toilet gaming he is an upstanding gent. Plus there's a good chance they get 60fps working for Zelda without janky physics problems, so it'd make it go from a resolution bump to a gameplay improvement as well.

All the good games for Wii U will get ported to Nintendo "let's pretend the Wii U didn't exist" Switch WITH tons of new content/features (except maybe w101), so if he has no immediate interest in those I don't see the point of being a bitch to a guy who doesn't want to drop $250-$300 on a console for one game.

I said there were perfectly good reasons to emulate? :shrug: No need to get worked up my dude.

But you answered it yourself. The Switch is going to be Wii U+. Might as well get in on the ground floor.

Edit:

Asimo posted:

You can emulate all you want but it kinda also invalidates all your complaints about the game being broken, slow, or buggy since you're very much not using it in the intended environment. That's about it really.

Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

The Lobster posted:

I said there were perfectly good reasons to emulate? :shrug: No need to get worked up my dude.

But you answered it yourself. The Switch is going to be Wii U+. Might as well get in on the ground floor.

Edit:

Also this.

True. I mean CEMU seems to be at a point where the game isn't a hot mess anymore now, but using speedhacks on an emulator is probably the issue rather than the emulator itself.

I mean the Switch will eventually be a top tier system even if it just ports/upgrades Wii U's best games, but dropping $360 for effectively 1 game as of now (3.5 weeks till Mario Kart, several months for that punching game and splatoon 2, and over 6 months for Mario Odyssey) as well as keeping an active eye on inventory for it is probably a big hassle for someone interested in just one game for now.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lovely Wizard posted:

True. I mean CEMU seems to be at a point where the game isn't a hot mess anymore now, but using speedhacks on an emulator is probably the issue rather than the emulator itself.

There's no telling what quirks in a game this open, dynamic, and physics-driven might be due to bugs in the emulator. Dude was complaining about animals disappearing quickly, a bug that I've not heard of anyone experiencing on the intended hardware. If you're emulating, maybe put a disclaimer at the top of your list of complaints. You are not using a consumer product anymore, you are messing around with an unfinished reverse engineering project.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

acksplode posted:

There's no telling what quirks in a game this open, dynamic, and physics-driven might be due to bugs in the emulator. Dude was complaining about animals disappearing quickly, a bug that I've not heard of anyone experiencing on the intended hardware. If you're emulating, maybe put a disclaimer at the top of your list of complaints. You are not using a consumer product anymore, you are messing around with an unfinished reverse engineering project.

You'll almost always get occasional issues with emulators unless they go the BSNES/Higan route of absolute compatibility, but yeah if you're asking for help with a glitch while using an emulator you need to say that ahead of time while asking for a remedy.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

lovely Wizard posted:

I mean the Switch will eventually be a top tier system even if it just ports/upgrades Wii U's best games, but dropping $360 for effectively 1 game as of now (3.5 weeks till Mario Kart, several months for that punching game and splatoon 2, and over 6 months for Mario Odyssey) as well as keeping an active eye on inventory for it is probably a big hassle for someone interested in just one game for now.

No I agree. That's why I said financial reasons were a perfectly valid reason to emulate. If you can't afford/justify a purchase, then go ahead. But you can't complain when weird poo poo happens. Though I will try my best to give you solutions that work for me, anyway, though for all I know they don't apply.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Just beat it and I have a question:

Zelda says Ganon abandoned the cycle of reincarnation to turn into dark beast Ganon, but then in the epilogue scene she says he'll be back?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

Zelda says Ganon abandoned the cycle of reincarnation to turn into dark beast Ganon, but then in the epilogue scene she says he'll be back?

It's kind of a confusing translation. He abandoned this current reincarnation attempt and is just trying to kill Link now. He didn't give it all up, which is why Zelda seals him away, again.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Uncle Wemus posted:

Being the nerd incarnation she's aware or the risk sequels pose. No matter how "super permanent for reals this time" hard they killed him this time.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

And a full month later, I finally beat the game

With 60.87%

No stone unturned before fighting ganon

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Drakenel posted:

Oh gently caress off, stable guy. My stalhorse isn't a monster, he's better behaved than the nags you have hitched up. And he can't eat the other horses. He has no stomach.

You can feed stalhorses apples, and they'll eat them and up their bond like a normal horse.

Plus you get the monster horse tack; they must make them registerable at some point, right? Right?

Spacebump posted:

The Wind Waker Link amiibo dropping fish is hilarious every time.

I tried invoking them over a pond to see if they survived , but sadly no, they still thrash around and die.

I want fish in my pond dammit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Runcible Cat posted:

You can feed stalhorses apples, and they'll eat them and up their bond like a normal horse.

Plus you get the monster horse tack; they must make them registerable at some point, right? Right?

Raising your bond with a Stalhorse does not keep them from leaving. But it does mean their spirit is soothed and they move on to the proper horsey afterlife where they can hang out with the cool horse goddess :3:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

the power slide lives on in botw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phantasium posted:

I feel like I ruined Typhlo Ruins because if you nock a fire arrow it acts like a giant flashlight and you can keep it like that without ever using it so I just walked right up to the ruins and climbed into them.
I trivialized Typhlo Ruins with Time Stop. Just whip it out and it highlights anything nearby.

This also works for any lootables in the overworld like carrots, herbs, radishes, apples, durians, mushrooms, etc but does not work on lizards or beetles sadly.

Copper Vein posted:

Goddamn I love plopping rocks on korok heads.
I meant to ask earlier if anyone else makes sure to do this with any rock-based Koroks. Every. Single. One.

Uncle Wemus posted:

I took it as Ganon abandoned the whole human shenanigans thing with Ganondorf et al and just goes straight to Pig Demon mode nowadays

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

lovely Wizard posted:

Plus there's a good chance they get 60fps working for Zelda without janky physics problems since it's the main draw for CEMU, so it'd make it go from a resolution bump to a gameplay improvement as well.
It's actually closer than you think. Someone found a bug in a hook file that uncaps the 30fps and if your machine is a beefmaster and you have all the right optimizations and you're standing in the right places.... it hits a solid 60fps and runs at 2x speed. Turns out that then running Cheat Engine with the .5x speedhack halves the runtime of the game but not the rendering, thus achieving 60fps with a normal speed game. This is all via a hack with nothing properly locking the framerate, so it can still jump around a bit, but it's close enough that yes, you can get excited for 60fps 4k (I only care about 1080, though) Breath of the Wild. It's coming.

For the record, I've got 110 hours spent in my Wii U version, so no blasting me plz. ;)
Leave it to fuckin' Helix Snake. Dude's a genius.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 4, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just found a star fragment in a chest southeast of tal tal peak, in the little alcove along the cliffside with the trees on the map. Dunno if chest contents change with game completion though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Should I sell my excess rubies, etc to any vendor or is there a specific vendor that pays more? I thought I saw discussion weeks ago about that but there only vendor I've found who pays higher prices is a Gerudo woman in Goron City but she seems to only want a big stack of diamonds.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Any vendor.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I defeated ganny. Fight could have been fun but I went in with 76 armor, +3 grades from food, and a Royal Guard Bow with 35 ancient arrows. RIP

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wildtortilla posted:

Should I sell my excess rubies, etc to any vendor or is there a specific vendor that pays more? I thought I saw discussion weeks ago about that but there only vendor I've found who pays higher prices is a Gerudo woman in Goron City but she seems to only want a big stack of diamonds.

Said lady regularly rotates her desired gems, so you could wait it out if you wanted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

She also doesn't buy them for that much more than the shop, at least it didn't seem like it, so I didn't really worry too much about who I was selling my gems to.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Doing a four heart, no fairies run of this game has really revitalized my respect for enemies and made me up my strategy game. It's also had the effect I think Nintendo intended for night time adventuring in that it's made me very wary of it. Even the night trash is now a pretty significant threat to me if I'm not quick on the draw. The REAL threat, though, is getting gang-banged by skeletons and keese when I'm trying to fight actual enemies.

Feeling endgame powerful is cool and all but I like being a glass cannon now that I know what I'm doing. It's exciting to have enemies who actually feel threatening again and force me to play at my very best, and it's not like there's any point where you HAVE to be hit in this game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Should I sell luminous stones or do they turn into something more valuable?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

You can trade 10 luminous stones for one diamond at Zora's Domain (two diamonds the first time you do it, so definitely do it once). But if you're looking for rupees, sell the stones. It takes 10 luminous stones (700 rupees total) to make 1 diamond (500 rupees), so you should only do that if you specifically need diamonds for something and not money.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Wildtortilla posted:

A quest needs 10 of them once and they can dye your clothes. I say sell.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Novum posted:

A quest needs 10 of them once and they can dye your clothes. I say sell.

Keep nine beyond this to help craft a certain armor set.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well and enough to get the set bonus

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also luminous stones aren't rare at all so do whatever you want with them I guess.

If anyone isn't doing this already, start marking good ore spots with stamps on your map and you'll never want for ore again.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Does the ore regenerate or am I going to mine those mountains dry?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

lifts cats over head posted:

Does the ore regenerate or am I going to mine those mountains dry?

The blood moon rises once again

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spergatory posted:

Doing a four heart, no fairies run of this game has really revitalized my respect for enemies and made me up my strategy game. It's also had the effect I think Nintendo intended for night time adventuring in that it's made me very wary of it. Even the night trash is now a pretty significant threat to me if I'm not quick on the draw. The REAL threat, though, is getting gang-banged by skeletons and keese when I'm trying to fight actual enemies.

Feeling endgame powerful is cool and all but I like being a glass cannon now that I know what I'm doing. It's exciting to have enemies who actually feel threatening again and force me to play at my very best, and it's not like there's any point where you HAVE to be hit in this game.

I'm v curious what hard mode will be with how the gameplay/difficulty is already

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

bef posted:

I'm v curious what hard mode will be with how the gameplay/difficulty is already

I'm really hoping new monsters along with turning food into regeneration. In the past Nintendo seems to go all out with DLC so I kind of have high hopes for a game that two system hit.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

El Burbo posted:

And a full month later, I finally beat the game

With 60.87%

No stone unturned before fighting ganon

How do you find your percentage? I can't even find how many shrines I've beaten unless it's during a loading screen :saddowns:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

How do you find your percentage? I can't even find how many shrines I've beaten unless it's during a loading screen :saddowns:

It doesn't show up until you beat the game, where it shows up on the map screen in the bottom left corner.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can you keep playing after you beat Gannon? Do Blood Moons still happen?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can you keep playing after you beat Gannon? Do Blood Moons still happen?

I mean after the credits and everything it goes back to the title screen and your most recent save will be right outside the final room with a star on your save file. There's no, like, saved Hyrule to go back to with no enemies or whatever.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Phantasium posted:

I mean after the credits and everything it goes back to the title screen and your most recent save will be right outside the final room with a star on your save file. There's no, like, saved Hyrule to go back to with no enemies or whatever.

Ok cool.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

It doesn't show up until you beat the game, where it shows up on the map screen in the bottom left corner.

Thank you!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can anyone give me a hint how to at least take a step into Thyphlo Ruina without falling into muck? Oh there is a bridge over to it that I just found...

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 4, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Can anyone give me a hint how to at least take a step into Thyphlo Ruina without falling into muck?

I paraglided in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BexGu posted:

I'm really hoping new monsters along with turning food into regeneration. In the past Nintendo seems to go all out with DLC so I kind of have high hopes for a game that two system hit.

Turning food into regeneration instead of an immediate heal would be a great change, I think. Probably make it so that Hearty food doesn't automatically restore full hearts, though they could also just make Hearty ingredients extremely rare so that temporary hearts are more valuable.