Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Millennial Sexlord posted:

You can plsy it through the Dragonfall client if you own that too, and it improves the game with all the advances in UI and mechanics that Dragonfall brought to the board. That's what I would do.

is there a guide for this anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gyshall posted:

is there a guide for this anywhere?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=343908392

First google result.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to play one of those "Choose your own Story" games like Torment, or Planescape, but I want it to be turn based combat.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Turtlicious posted:

I want to play one of those "Choose your own Story" games like Torment, or Planescape, but I want it to be turn based combat.

Torment has turn based combat, and most (if not all?) of it is completely skippable.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grate deceiver posted:

Torment has turn based combat, and most (if not all?) of it is completely skippable.

I probably should have noted that I've beaten both of those, so more like Torment please.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

Much lighter and on mobile, but the sorcery series from inkle is very good. It's literally a choose your own adventure game with more modern stuff.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Tyranny is real time with pause, and a little bit more combat heavy, but there's still a heavy focus on choice and dialogue. If you liked the new Torment, you'll probably enjoy it. Also, the Banner Saga 1 and 2.

For pure choose your own story games, 80 Days and The Curious Expedition are really cool.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have a few semi-related requests.

Back in the day I loved Baldur's Gate I & II, specifically for the Mage playstyle of having loads of different spells to choose from, sequencers, timestop etc. It turned a fight into a magical chess match at the start. Pillar's of Eternity didn't scratch this itch for me even though its a fine game. Is there anything else out there like that? (Also David Warner's voice acting in BG2 was incredible).

Sticking with Pillars (and I probably should take this to its thread) but I fell off it after about 10-12 hours specifically because I didn't like its magic system. Should I give it another go with a different class? I am less inclined now to insist on playing a mage-style.

Finally, I have dabbled in and out with Skyrim over the years and might be tempted to go back. Again, I think the reason why it didn't stick with me is because of its magic system. But in general, has Skyrim aged ok and should I go to its thread to find out more about mods etc or would I better looking into Witcher 3 these days?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There are a lot of mods that change magic in Skyrim, but I think it's mostly along the lines of adding new spells or rebalancing existing ones - I don't know if anything fundamentally changes how the magic system itself works.

As for the other requests, I liked the magic in Dragon Age: Origins. There isn't a huge variety in spells but there are some special synergies you can set up, and on the default difficulty setting friendly fire exists for magic so there's a lot of tactical positioning involved to make the most out of your AoE attacks.

I haven't played it, but I have read that Divinity: Original Sin does a lot of interesting stuff with elemental interactions, which might make for some fun mage-based gameplay.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

Finally, I have dabbled in and out with Skyrim over the years and might be tempted to go back. Again, I think the reason why it didn't stick with me is because of its magic system. But in general, has Skyrim aged ok and should I go to its thread to find out more about mods etc or would I better looking into Witcher 3 these days?

Skyrim has aged well and as long as you're not using the Special Edition, there's a slew of great magic mods to choose from. Apocalypse and Midas are the two big magic mods, both add a huge number of new spells to the game and make a pure mage playthrough far more interesting. I personally preferred Apocalypse because it felt a little more balanced to me – a lot of the best spells will have both a positive and negative effect (ie. do a bunch of damage while taking damage yourself, or a summon that breaks out of your control after X seconds), which makes combat interesting.

SKSE (the third party script extender that allows many mods to work) hasn't been updated for the Special Edition yet, and as such a lot of mods won't work with it. So if you really want to get into modding, vanilla Skyrim is still your best bet. Special Edition is fine if you only want to use one or two mods and want all the pretties without mucking about with ENB.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a game to play. It has to be for the PC and I'm looking for something based around collecting resources and upgrading. I already have Terraria and Starbound, so something else would be good.

You should check out Dig or Die, it's basically a shittier version of both games you gave as examples, but it's still really fun, in a "Boy am I glad I spent $5 on this cheap Chinese knockoff instead of $20 on the real authentic American equivalent". There's also Nom Nom Galaxy, which is neat. Same sidescrolling mechanics with largie-ish open worlds, but instead of crafting gear and fighting monsters, you craft better base facilities and hunt monsters and local flora to turn into soup that you ship throughout the galaxy. Or Stardew Valley, which changes from 2D sidescroller to topdown game. You upgrade tools and your farm to get better tools and a better... farm? Finally, there's Rimworld. I dunno why I'm putting this here since it's drastically different from both Terraria and Starbound, but I get the same vibes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kaesarsosei posted:

I have a few semi-related requests.

Back in the day I loved Baldur's Gate I & II, specifically for the Mage playstyle of having loads of different spells to choose from, sequencers, timestop etc. It turned a fight into a magical chess match at the start. Pillar's of Eternity didn't scratch this itch for me even though its a fine game. Is there anything else out there like that? (Also David Warner's voice acting in BG2 was incredible).

Seconding Divinity: Original Sin

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just get Divinity: Original Sin already. It has magic + great environmental interactions. The sequel is coming out this year, too.

Maybe the KOTOR series, too. It has a combat/magic (sorry, 'Force') system based on D&D rules, even though it's not terribly deep.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
KOTOR is so unbelievably busted on PC. I gave up when I realized to play the game at a proper, non stretched resolution I would have to launch it repeatedly every single time I wanted to play until the shady wide-screen patch worked. And even when it does work half the time the UI is broken and can't be fixed even with the patch's suggested fix.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Divinity's combat is definitely what you're looking for. Just a warning though, the writing is intentionally cheesy fantasy schlock. Some of it quite funny, a lot of it really dull.

Dragon Age Origin's spellcasting isn't quite as intricate as BG2's but it also has a fairly in-depth system for programming the party's AI which I found scratches the same itch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

KOTOR is so unbelievably busted on PC. I gave up when I realized to play the game at a proper, non stretched resolution I would have to launch it repeatedly every single time I wanted to play until the shady wide-screen patch worked. And even when it does work half the time the UI is broken and can't be fixed even with the patch's suggested fix.

I didn't have this problem at all playing on my Windows 10/1920 x 1080/i7-6700k/GTX 1070 build. I had to fiddle around with the patches at the very beginning, but after that it was smooth sailing. Only problem I had was with conversations sometimes speeding up to a comical extent, which was apparently due to my 144Hz monitor.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I didn't have this problem at all playing on my Windows 10/1920 x 1080/i7-6700k/GTX 1070 build. I had to fiddle around with the patches at the very beginning, but after that it was smooth sailing. Only problem I had was with conversations sometimes speeding up to a comical extent, which was apparently due to my 144Hz monitor.

What patches did you use? I followed a guide from Steam Community.

I'm on Windows 10 with a Radeon 7950. Other than the fact that I have an AMD card I don't think there's any substantial difference between our setups.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It was only a month or two ago, but I honestly don't remember. Looking at my Steam game files, I'm pretty sure the Override folder was created by whichever patch I used (for KOTOR 1). Don't know if you have that too.

I will say, I remember it took quite some effort to get everything set up right. But after that, it worked fine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

KOTOR2 is the one that's broken and needs massive fan patches just to work. The first is all right.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fruits of the sea posted:

KOTOR2 is the one that's broken and needs massive fan patches just to work. The first is all right.

KOTOR2 was buggy on release. This is just shoddy compatibility with modern hardware. Separate issues.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I'm looking for something RPGish that offers me getting nicely powerful and is limited in the amount of story it monologues at me. I have played (obviously) the Dark Souls games and D3/Path of Exile. PC and PS4 for possible platforms.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Xeras posted:

I'm looking for something RPGish that offers me getting nicely powerful and is limited in the amount of story it monologues at me. I have played (obviously) the Dark Souls games and D3/Path of Exile. PC and PS4 for possible platforms.

Hollow Knight is basically a cartoonish Dark Souls,but it's a bit more of a metroidvania,so I don't think it counts. There's also the Momodora games,which might scratch the Souls itch. If you want a game that is literally just Souls,there's also Nioh on PS4.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Xeras posted:

Salt and Sanctuary is basically sidescrolling Dark Souls, and is on both platforms.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I'm assuming that you're lumping Bloodborne in with the Souls games?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Unbelievably White posted:

I'm assuming that you're lumping Bloodborne in with the Souls games?

If you are, don't, because gently caress Bloodborne.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I was just broadly suggesting it as another From Software game, stay calm

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Unbelievably White posted:

I was just broadly suggesting it as another From Software game, stay calm

I'm calm, but my point stands.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Bloodborne is good. Hollow Knight is good. Salt & Sanctuary feels more like fanfiction but if you can tolerate that it's serviceable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Xeras posted:

Grim Dawn. There's an active-ish thread here on it too, and they'll be happy to help you out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lorini posted:

Grim Dawn. There's an active-ish thread here on it too, and they'll be happy to help you out.

Yeah I second this. It does a good job of sort of meeting in the middle between D3 and PoE.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Millennial Sexlord posted:

If you are, don't, because gently caress Bloodborne.

what even is this opinion here, millenial sexlord

bloodborne is my favorite souls game

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

KingSlime posted:

what even is this opinion here, millenial sexlord

bloodborne is my favorite souls game

Just my opinion. The graphical style was cluttered and noisy, and the gameplay was more frustrating to me. I prefer the methodical timing based dance of the core Souls over the frantic twitch stuff.

Alot of people like Bloodborne, but I hate it. And therefor can't recommend it in a recommendation thread. That's all.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You must have hated DS3 then

I was unhappy to see the switch from methodical, deliberate combat to bloodborne levels of YEAAAAAAAAARGH within Dark Souls once 3 was released

It works great within Bloodborne but imo, made DS3 into an unfun, though admittedly satisfying, slog

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

KingSlime posted:

You must have hated DS3 then

I was unhappy to see the switch from methodical, deliberate combat to bloodborne levels of YEAAAAAAAAARGH within Dark Souls once 3 was released

It works great within Bloodborne but imo, made DS3 into an unfun, though admittedly satisfying, slog

Ds3 found a middle ground I was mostly happy with. The faster pace was nice, without it being so twitchy and spastic.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i never found Bloodborne particularly frantic? there's more pressure to be aggressive for sure but you can take it at a pretty steady rhythm if you have the setup for it. nowhere on the level of, say, mid to high difficulty DMC.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

a medical mystery posted:

i never found Bloodborne particularly frantic? there's more pressure to be aggressive for sure but you can take it at a pretty steady rhythm if you have the setup for it. nowhere on the level of, say, mid to high difficulty DMC.

Cool.

Mr. Dragoon
May 7, 2008
Having just finished Wizardry 8, I was looking for another game where a major feature of it is making your own very customized party. I'm looking for something maybe a bit more modern and not in the vein of the grid based first person crawler like Legend of Grimrock or the older Wizardry games. I'd prefer if it was entirely based on the party with no real "Main" character and the larger the possible party and player made characters the better.

Setting doesn't really matter and real time or turn based I can take either or.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Wasteland 2, Icewind Dale

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mr. Dragoon posted:

Having just finished Wizardry 8, I was looking for another game where a major feature of it is making your own very customized party. I'm looking for something maybe a bit more modern and not in the vein of the grid based first person crawler like Legend of Grimrock or the older Wizardry games. I'd prefer if it was entirely based on the party with no real "Main" character and the larger the possible party and player made characters the better.

This might be a bit out of left field but - Dungeon Siege 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgsR3qZp3-M&t=9m35s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mr. Dragoon posted:

While "new," the Avernum games are remakes of much older games, but fit this mold pretty well. Temple of Elemental Evil does too--it has very grognardy turn-based combat though which turns some people off. (I love it though)

Alternatively there's Lord of Xulima--you get one main character to drive the (entirely forgettable) plot but the rest of the party is entirely custom-made and the MC is highly customizable as well. It can get really tedious if you put it on the higher difficulty levels though.