Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently some rear end in a top hat signed my number up for every loving spammer on the planet and I am now inundated with spam marketing calls and texts. I went and registered myself on the do not call list, and they mentioned that some apps can be used to block spam calls and messages. Anyone here aware of anything like that? These messages are getting out of hand.

I've used Hiya for this in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently some rear end in a top hat signed my number up for every loving spammer on the planet and I am now inundated with spam marketing calls and texts. I went and registered myself on the do not call list, and they mentioned that some apps can be used to block spam calls and messages. Anyone here aware of anything like that? These messages are getting out of hand.

T-Mobile will start blocking spam at the network level on April 7th. Google's dialer also flags spam calls (but doesn't have an option to silence them, as far as I know).

sleepwalkers posted:

I personally like Flamingo better than any of the other alternatives. It's not perfect, but it's the closest I feel any of the third-party apps get to giving me a clean space to read and navigate my timeline. It's still mindblowing that Android still doesn't have something on the level of Tweetbot, honestly.

I agree with this but I'm a very light Twitter user.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

So I'm in a situation where I may need to record a couple of phone calls for legal purposes- is there a dece recording app that I can trust not to visit any fuckery on me?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Peanut Butler posted:

So I'm in a situation where I may need to record a couple of phone calls for legal purposes- is there a dece recording app that I can trust not to visit any fuckery on me?

Google Voice does this natively.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Google Voice does this natively.

Google Voice isn't available in most countries, so might not be an option.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I can vouch for this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nll.acr

Definitely do the trial first. Some phone manufacturers don't allow call recording. I know Moto, Samsung and HTC do. Huawei doesn't if I recall. Something to do with the way the firmware is set up.

Won't record on wifi calling but as long as you are on the cell network​ it works great.

Edit: the G5+ records fine on wifi calling. LG phones do too. Nice surprise as this normally doesn't work.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 5, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Now that goog is ditching SMS what is a good all in one app that combines messenger and idk, skype text?

Like Trillian but good.

Whatsapp, Signal and Textra don't seem to be it, fb mess just does SMS and fb.

Am I missing something?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Now that goog is ditching SMS what is a good all in one app that combines messenger and idk, skype text?

Like Trillian but good.

Am I missing something?

Doesn't exist. Welcome to fragmented messaging

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Like Trillian but good.

Am I missing something?

Nope. Messaging is fragmented to poo poo. I've resigned myself to having several installed constantly. To pick a favorite, it's definitely telegram, it's fabulous seamless in its cross platform capabilities and does extremely well embedding content of all types within the chat. I try to get people to use it, but of course it's as fragmented as everything else.

Maybe in another 10 years Google will finally make one that isn't poo poo. Probably not, though.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google Voice isn't available in most countries, so might not be an option.

I'm in the US and I have it, but not on my phone- its sort of my backup PC landline and I don't use it for much unless money's tight

Ended up using Automatic Call Recorder, which is okay- a little distorty on cell-to-cell calls, but clear on landline calls. I hear the best way to enable call recording is to root the device and add a tweak for it, but jiminy wafers I don't want to do that when I have another year to pay off the phone still

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
From the recent Twitter client chat, I tried to replace Tweetcaster with Flamingo, but I couldn't even log on to Flamingo - nothing happened when I tapped the "Log in with Twitter" button. I emailed the dev yesterday morning, but no response yet (which is fine, it's the weekend). Has anyone else ran into this? I tried both with and without wifi.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I'm looking to unload some stuff on Craigslist, so I was hoping to get a recommendation on a burner phone number app. I would prefer that the app doesn't require re-purchasing of minutes/credits every month, which it looks like Burner does? Hushed is offering a lifetime number that doesn't appear to need monthly credits, but the reviews make them sound unreliable. I saw there are other apps, like Text Me Up, but I don't know much about it. I wouldn't even mind if it's texts only. Any ideas, or would it better and/or more cost effective to get an actual pre-paid phone?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Why not just get a Google voice number

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Why not just get a Google voice number

Oh I forgot to mention I'm on project Fi, so I think that means you can't use Google voice with the same account you use with Fi. I've never used Google voice before. Would it work if I activate a voice number on another account and somehow forward calls to my number?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

crack mayor posted:

I'm looking to unload some stuff on Craigslist, so I was hoping to get a recommendation on a burner phone number app. I would prefer that the app doesn't require re-purchasing of minutes/credits every month, which it looks like Burner does? Hushed is offering a lifetime number that doesn't appear to need monthly credits, but the reviews make them sound unreliable. I saw there are other apps, like Text Me Up, but I don't know much about it. I wouldn't even mind if it's texts only. Any ideas, or would it better and/or more cost effective to get an actual pre-paid phone?

I've used Burner for this purpose. Yes, the credits thing is dumb, but it's just a few bucks so I didn't worry about it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

crack mayor posted:

Oh I forgot to mention I'm on project Fi, so I think that means you can't use Google voice with the same account you use with Fi. I've never used Google voice before. Would it work if I activate a voice number on another account and somehow forward calls to my number?

Doesn't look like it

Note: You won’t be able to forward a Google Voice number to a Project Fi number or forward a Project Fi number to a Google Voice number. 

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:siren: Edge case user request incoming! :siren:

I'm looking for a calendar widget that will show both appointments and reminders like the default widget but is also transparent.

Thank you!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:siren: Edge case user request incoming! :siren:

I'm looking for a calendar widget that will show both appointments and reminders like the default widget but is also transparent.

Thank you!

I'm also wanting to update my calendar widget.
Currently using APW (still). Its old as poo poo and all the themes are ugly. If they had a material design one that fit with N, it'd still be fine.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Try Month. It should do everything you want and it's got a lot of great themes. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the app shows up in my app drawer even though it's just a widget, but I'm a fuckin insane person so you'll probably be fine.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Try Month. It should do everything you want and it's got a lot of great themes. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the app shows up in my app drawer even though it's just a widget, but I'm a fuckin insane person so you'll probably be fine.

Looks cool but it doesn't seem to have a schedule widget which is what I'm looking for. Also one that incorporates upcoming reminders.

Basically I want the schedule widget for the calendar except transparent :spergin:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Oh sorry, I didn't see the schedule request. If you look in the more apps by that developer they have a schedule one too.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Looks cool but it doesn't seem to have a schedule widget which is what I'm looking for. Also one that incorporates upcoming reminders.

Basically I want the schedule widget for the calendar except transparent :spergin:

Looks like the "reminder" calendar is not exposed to third party apps. So you're stuck with the Goog

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't see the schedule request. If you look in the more apps by that developer they have a schedule one too.

No worries I wasn't explicit about what I was looking for.

nimper posted:

Looks like the "reminder" calendar is not exposed to third party apps. So you're stuck with the Goog

Goog-ed again :negative:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Does this help?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

My needs have (mostly) been suited :buddy:

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I know it's too late but I used Today pretty effectively for a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use Today as well but that Calendar Widget one looks nice.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

f#a# posted:

I know it's too late but I used Today pretty effectively for a while.

That one has an updated version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.underwood.calendar_beta
7 day free trial, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've had a surprising amount of success getting friends and family onto Discord as our messaging solution. It's pretty good for this purpose! I've been using it for gaming and chatting with other programmers for a long time but I never really considered using it for this purpose until recently.

Things to say about it:

• Some of them are pretty excited about being able to chat from their desktop via web browser.
  • It does a nice job embedding media.
  • Though most of you won't care about this, as a developer I especially like that it's got an API for making bots and stuff.
  • It's a high quality application. Its one of those things that I guess I can't say "this and this and this make it high quality", it just works well without jank.
  • Group chat is the default mode of communication, like it's IRC. Of course you can message individual people easily as well.

Anyway, just thought I thought I'd throw out there since lately we've been talking about how poo poo messaging is in general.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There's no way I'll ever be able to convince even a single normal/non-gamer friend to use Discord as a messaging app.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's no way I'll ever be able to convince even a single normal/non-gamer friend to use Discord as a messaging app.

I've had great success with 'hey you know how much skype sucks? this is better in every way'

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I've had great success with 'hey you know how much skype sucks? this is better in every way'

No one here uses Skype either so that's an odd comparison to make.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Few of my friends or family are gamers or even technical at all. I mean, convincing anyone to switch or use a messaging app is almost always an exercise in frustration, I think it has less to do with which app you're asking them to use and more to do with asking them to use something new at all.

I think I just happened to make a push for it at the right moment in time. The confluence of circumstances and the zeitgeist of our group was just right.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm curious why you went with Discord instead of say, WhatsApp.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm curious why you went with Discord instead of say, WhatsApp.

Because I already use Discord and Discord is just a better experience than WhatsApp. Also I know literally one person who uses WhatsApp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Because I already use Discord and Discord is just a better experience than WhatsApp. Also I know literally one person who uses WhatsApp.

That's really odd to me haha, this just proves how subjective and region-specific this is and how badly we need something like iMessage. I can't stand Discord and use WhatsApp daily. A good portion of my friends use WhatsApp, my major group chats are all on there and I use it the most, followed by SMS, followed by Hangouts. I have one person on Allo who refuses to move to anything else and I actually want to punch him in the nuts over that.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

WhatsApp is cool but it's web client is horrible.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TwistedNails posted:

WhatsApp is cool but it's web client is horrible.

It's basically the same as the mobile app and works totally fine? :shrug:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is there seriously no way to remove an autocomplete address from the Outlook app? There's addresses I sent one email to years ago that come up before people I email often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The balkanization of messaging apps has got to stop.

I'm going to write the president about this.