Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Eejit posted:

That's how I was leaning as well. Is there a way to get Assistant on the S8? From what I'm reading, Bixby is nowhere as good

I'm going to be sad because I love my Nexus 6 and am pretty much balls deep in the Google ecosystem, but it is starting to show its age

Yes, it has Google Assistant. You can access it by holding down the Home button. I saw it on some video review of the S8, so assuming nothing changes between now and release, it should be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Eejit posted:

Ding ding ding

Gonna go chat with a rep tonight and double check my math, but I'm pretty sure preordering an S8 is gonna be my best option

If you really wanted the Pixel, you could probably buy an S8 and sell it. You'd still have to deal with Google's lovely wait times though unless the Pixel is no longer on a 1+ month wait.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I want to sync podcasts to my phone. Key features for me are:

• RSS feed support
  • Only download over LAN
  • Auto-delete after certain age/max number on phone

Any recommendations?

If there's nothing good I can always download them to my PC and set it up as some kind of a generic filesync-over-lan but I'd probably prefer having a real app so I could download more on the go if needed.

Also - any recommendations for a wifi-only Android MP3 player, ideally unlocked and with some decent open firmware ala Cyanogen or whatever the open fork is now?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Paul MaudDib posted:

• RSS feed support
  • Only download over LAN

Any recommendations?

If there's nothing good I can always download them to my PC and set it up as some kind of a generic filesync-over-lan but I'd probably prefer having a real app so I could download more on the go if needed.

Also - any recommendations for a wifi-only Android MP3 player, ideally unlocked and with some decent open firmware ala Cyanogen or whatever the open fork is now?

Pocket Casts does all of what you mention. It's nice too as it can sync its state across multiple devices so you start listening on phone then pick up exactly where you were later on tablet, etc. (even across Android, iOS, etc.).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

• RSS feed support
  • Only download over LAN

Any recommendations?

Podcast Addict

If there was any Podcast app with every feature under the sun, that seems to be it. I love it.

^That is a cool feature that upon closer inspection Podcast Addict doesn't have, but looks like the Dev is looking into. There are constant new features and updates so I could bet it will make it in soon.

Sadly it won't play on PC unless you have ChromeOS yet. Unfortunate for sure.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 3, 2017

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Samsung is very slow in providing any updates for your phone once it has a new flagship out. My spare S6 is still on Marshmallow when Google is now testing Android O and probably won't get any official update until July unless I want to flash another region's. It also hasn't received any security updates since Oct 2016 despite Samsung publically committing to them every year.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Ragingsheep posted:

Samsung is very slow in providing any updates for your phone once it has a new flagship out. My spare S6 is still on Marshmallow when Google is now testing Android O and probably won't get any official update until July unless I want to flash another region's. It also hasn't received any security updates since Oct 2016 despite Samsung publically committing to them every year.

1) Samsung is very slow at providing updates no matter what
2) Quantity of security updates is per your carrier. For example, Rogers has an agreement for 4 security updates every year, so 1 per quarter. Samsung makes them anyways but they defer to the carrier to test/deploy whenever they want.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Nougat should be coming out for S6/S6E in the next month.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

vyst posted:

Nougat should be coming out for S6/S6E in the next month.

The issue is that each phone actually has a billion subversion e.g. the S6 has the 920i, 920a, 920f, etc and many subversions have their own subsubversion e.g. the 920i has the XSA, INU, etc. When Samsung releases an update, they release it for the 920i INU where as the update for the 920i XSA doesn't come out for another 3 months - even though both 920i have the same hardware.

CLAM DOWN posted:

1) Samsung is very slow at providing updates no matter what
2) Quantity of security updates is per your carrier. For example, Rogers has an agreement for 4 security updates every year, so 1 per quarter. Samsung makes them anyways but they defer to the carrier to test/deploy whenever they want.

1. The speed slows down once a new flagship is released. While it was new, there were quite a few updates.
2. My S6 is unbranded - it shouldn't be carrier dependent.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 4, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Ragingsheep posted:

1. The speed slows down once a new flagship is released. While it was new, there were quite a few updates.
2. My S6 is unbranded - it shouldn't be carrier dependent.

1) Do you have proof of this? We've been running Samsung devices for a couple years through multiple flagship releases and I have not seen this at all on Rogers
2) Doesn't matter if it's unbranded, all of ours are too, it's still activated on a carrier.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

1) Do you have proof of this? We've been running Samsung devices for a couple years through multiple flagship releases and I have not seen this at all on Rogers
2) Doesn't matter if it's unbranded, all of ours are too, it's still activated on a carrier.

1. Looks like its a regional/subsubversion thing. I'll withdraw that then.
2. No, the carriers have their own software versions. So in a country, you will have 1. The unbranded software, 2. Carrier A's software, 3. Carrier B's software. If you're on the unbranded software, you get updates directly from Samsung, not the carrier.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 4, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

Had a good full day of usage and so far battery life on G5 plus is excellent.

I've had the g5+ since friday. It needs to be charged WAY less than once a day. It normally runs out in the mid afternoon the following day. I went for a pokemon go walk for 1.5 hours about 22 hours ago with a fully charged phone, and it was about 75% or 80% when I got home. I browsed and played fire emblem too for about 40 minutes last night. I sort of used it a bit throughout today, and the battery is still at 25% without having charged it since yesterday afternoon.

Apart from the amazing battery life, I like it a lot. There are no slowdowns, fingerprint sensor is great, download speeds on my 7 year old t-mobile sim are great, everything works well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, so I'm trying to get 7.1.2 on my PXL sooner than it hits VZW's network, and I'm having a hell of a time with it. My PXL is on Verizon, and I unlocked the bootloader before they permalocked it with the first official firmware. I downloaded and loaded the newest adb/fastboot drivers from Google and replaced the ones I was using before (circa 2015ish), and tried an OTA update first. My phone won't show up when I type 'adb devices' so obviously I can't sideload.

Okay, so let's try the Factory Image, right? Fastboot commands won't register, even though the adb daemon will recognize the phone when it's first plugged in. I also even tried the flash-all.bat script (after extricating the -w modifier) and still, no dice. And I'm sure I'm not using the German Telekom version, either - N2G47E.

And in Device Manager (Windows 7), it's still showing "Samsung Android Phone," even though the USB Driver is Google's 11.0, and I haven't used a Samsung phone since the GNex.

Help (other than 'wait until the OTA drops on its own')?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Do you have allow adb debugging over usb in the developer's menu?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just wait man. It took me a day last time to get the update on Verizon

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

Do you have allow adb debugging over usb in the developer's menu?

Yeah, otherwise 'adb devices' would show nothing. I've also tried switching to file transfer mode, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Ragingsheep posted:

2. No, the carriers have their own software versions. So in a country, you will have 1. The unbranded software, 2. Carrier A's software, 3. Carrier B's software. If you're on the unbranded software, you get updates directly from Samsung, not the carrier.

Hmm, I wonder if this is region specific too. All Samsung flagships sold in Canada have a model number ending in W8. They are factory unlocked and unbranded when shipped. But, the first SIM card you put into them, they reboot, lock to that carrier, and download any carrier specific partition/software stuff. So the scenario you're describing, having the unbranded one with updates straight from Samsung, doesn't exist here. The only exception maybe would be if someone bought one in another country and brought it home.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hmm, I wonder if this is region specific too. All Samsung flagships sold in Canada have a model number ending in W8. They are factory unlocked and unbranded when shipped. But, the first SIM card you put into them, they reboot, lock to that carrier, and download any carrier specific partition/software stuff. So the scenario you're describing, having the unbranded one with updates straight from Samsung, doesn't exist here. The only exception maybe would be if someone bought one in another country and brought it home.

Either way something has to be wrong with his phone, my Note 4 is older and has been getting monthly security updates pretty steadily so far.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

Either way something has to be wrong with his phone, my Note 4 is older and has been getting monthly security updates pretty steadily so far.

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G920I/XSA/

Last update October 2016. Anyways, I've switched to the Pixel so it's not a massive concern for me anymore.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ragingsheep posted:

My S6 got the March 2017 security update last night. I have T-Mobile. I guess maybe you'll see an update soon?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Nalin posted:

My S6 got the March 2017 security update last night. I have T-Mobile. I guess maybe you'll see an update soon?

Like I said, there are lots of region/country/carrier specific versions so while one is relatively up to date, another is half a year out of date, including devices directly updated by Samsung.

Some interesting stuff here about the support Google is providing for the Pixel vs their support for Nexus devices previously.

https://plus.google.com/+FranciscoFranco1990/posts/2a76QQum68J

quote:

1 - There is a clear commitment from Google as an OEM to get every last bit of performance and the continued improvement of security. Things like disabling build flags from the Kernel config to reduce overhead, improve boot up time, produce smaller Kernel binary size and reduce the attack surface are a big focus and they were rare when they had the Nexus program, specially after the devices were out for production. Development on the Pixel phones haven't slowed down one bit since release, contrarily to what happened with Nexuses;

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What if Google somehow manages to start eating flagship market share from LG and Samsung? Like just straight up offering a better device and user experience for the same money while somehow being able to fulfill orders on time?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FAUXTON posted:

What if Google somehow manages to start eating flagship market share from LG and Samsung? Like just straight up offering a better device and user experience for the same money while somehow being able to fulfill orders on time?

Android implodes like a dying star

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Samsung will just switch to Tizen

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Help (other than 'wait until the OTA drops on its own')?
Is the phone in fastboot mode? What device does it show as in Windows then?

Usually the way to fix these problems is to delete/uninstall the device, disconnect it, reconnect it, and repeat until Windows stops installing it with some arbitrary driver that it has selected. When it becomes an unrecognised device or whatever, then manually chose the latest Google USB driver for it. Do this process for both ADB and fastboot.

Otherwise just connect it to a Mac or Unix machine and have it work first time with no drivers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tunga posted:

Is the phone in fastboot mode? What device does it show as in Windows then?

Usually the way to fix these problems is to delete/uninstall the device, disconnect it, reconnect it, and repeat until Windows stops installing it with some arbitrary driver that it has selected. When it becomes an unrecognised device or whatever, then manually chose the latest Google USB driver for it. Do this process for both ADB and fastboot.

Otherwise just connect it to a Mac or Unix machine and have it work first time with no drivers.

I finally got it working. There was no bootloader-level driver loaded. An Android Toolkit program installed the necessary drivers, and the ADB drivers/software one release before current did the job.

In the process I broke my computer's ability to access the phone's storage, but ADB functions work - I have dozens of workarounds to get files from my phone to my computer.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Read the post you quoted again

Thermopyle posted:

AFAIK, no one has a consistent record of timely updates. The best in that regard has always been Google devices. You shouldn't buy from anyone else if updates on Android are of paramount importance to you.

I thought Google did have a consistent record of timely updates.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

monster on a stick posted:

Ever since they bought Bitspin they have absolutely had a consistent record of Timely updates :hurr:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
361.2MB update installing on my Pixel in the UK here. I'll update if it's 7.1.2.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

361.2MB update installing on my Pixel in the UK here. I'll update if it's 7.1.2.

That's roughly the size the 7.1.2. update was for my 6P this morning, so it probably is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Same, but in the US.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Yeah it's 7.1.2, April 5th Security Patch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ragingsheep posted:

Samsung will just switch to Tizen

This link deserves more attention.

quote:

"It may be the worst code I've ever seen," he told Motherboard in advance of a talk about his research that he is scheduled to deliver at Kaspersky Lab's Security Analyst Summit on the island of St. Maarten on Monday. "Everything you can do wrong there, they do it. You can see that nobody with any understanding of security looked at this code or wrote it. It's like taking an undergraduate and letting him program your software."

These are the same people you are letting write all the extra 'features' on your Samsung device including things related to security like face detection and retina scan.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

monster on a stick posted:

Nope. They do the best by far but they've got their share of update snafus in the past.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

This link deserves more attention.

These are the same people you are letting write all the extra 'features' on your Samsung device including things related to security like face detection and retina scan.

I don't think he's wrong or anything, but an undergrad isn't any more or less likely to write bad code.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, it's shorthand for lack of experience. Sure an undergrad may write great code, but they often times don't have enough experience in the real world to catch as much as someone more experienced (especially when talking about large commercial products.)

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think he's wrong or anything, but an undergrad isn't any more or less likely to write bad code.

Sure they are. Of course it's possible for an undergrad to write good code, just like it's possible for an experienced developer to write terribly naive code. But in general experienced developers write much better code than those that lack experience, like your average undergrad.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

..btt posted:

Sure they are. Of course it's possible for an undergrad to write good code, just like it's possible for an experienced developer to write terribly naive code. But in general experienced developers write much better code than those that lack experience, like your average undergrad.

The correct terminology is unexperienced, not undergraduate. I spend a lot of time in academic code and I can't draw any meaningful code-quality distinction based on education level. Likely because software dev is fairly unique amongst disciplines in that many people are deep into coding before they ever even get a formal education.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I imagine insulting "undergrad" coders is a good way to make sure none of your more knowledgeable students participate in... well... anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I know this place isn't tech support and this seems like a stupid problem to have, but you guys are a smart, good looking bunch so thought I would see if anyone knew.

I have a S7 Edge and every time I try to back up to samsung cloud, it fails with two messages saying ' a server error has occured'. I have a Saunsung account tied to a gmail address, and can log into that fine, so it definitely exists. Have tried over wifi and data connection. Backups to Google seem to work.

Why the gently caress won't it backup?

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 4, 2017