Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I can only assume ours went to a local food bank or something because they were always a bit vague about where they went except that it was usually accompanied by general "there's kids starving in Africa" sentiments.
We went round in groups and handed ours out to old people in the local community. I think that was before literally everyone was a nonce though.

e: Are we still doing the dog thing?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EmptyVessel posted:

We had this when I was in primary (70s), don't think any of us kids actually picked tatties during it though.

Oh, I'd not argue my mam's experience was the norm, but she grew up in a pretty poor rural family, her dad was a shepherd so I guess there were plentiful fields of tatties nearby.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
^^^ We had tattie fields nearby (this was in East Lothian) but by then no real need for child labour I guess. There was a bothy outside the village where gangs of labourers would stay when they were needed.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Tigey posted:

I can genuinely see it being made a holiday in future - not out of bringing people together - but that without immigrant agricultural workers, we are probably going to have to force schoolkids to work for free in the fields so may as well justify it with flimsy cultural excuses.

I love this thread so much haha

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/s...r%3D290%23pti15

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Guavanaut posted:

e: Are we still doing the dog thing?

yes. thank you for complying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

yes. thank you for complying.

I am uncomfortable with the body policing inherent in this rule. Greyhound erasure is real, and it is on these forums.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Darth Walrus posted:

I am uncomfortable with the body policing inherent in this rule. Greyhound erasure is real, and it is on these forums.

i have good news for you

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

i have good news for you

This is not good news. :stonk:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

R. Guyovich posted:

i have good news for you

what the gently caress is this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Part hamster part ferret part rat I think.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that's a big dogge

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
That's 100% body fat on an animal meant to have 0% body fat.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i think it could still be fatter

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

I love this thread so much haha

When I was young and dumb I thought the world was going to be ok too.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

I don't eat nestle products.
Nestle=/= Cadbury but you have a good idea at the heart of this.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Flaps I'm not going to give you credit for the success of the pert boycott.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I refuse to eat those chocolates for ethical reasons, so I tend to stick to Coca Cola for my weekend treat

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jBrereton posted:

Nestle=/= Cadbury but you have a good idea at the heart of this.

Yorkies are made by nestle.

Namtab posted:

Flaps I'm not going to give you credit for the success of the pert boycott.

I'm not seeking your credit. Also the pert boycott sounds like the headline to your mother's page three debut.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

When I was young and dumb I thought the world was going to be ok too.

What changed do you think, you or the world

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/GibraltarGov/st...genumber%3D3825

i'm a fan of this tweet

https://twitter.com/GibraltarGov/status/849123311690895360

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
is it possible for allies to illegally enter each other's territorial waters? when they are both members of NATO and there is a nato base on Gibraltar?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

is it possible for allies to illegally enter each other's territorial waters? when they are both members of NATO and there is a nato base on Gibraltar?

Apparently so ?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
will you be joining the army to fight for gibraltar pissflaps?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
at least global warming will claim gibraltar, hopefully

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKoeh_ivqsE

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
we're gonna spend the next two years arguing about that stupid rock and the UK is gonna be out on WTO rules

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

will you be joining the army to fight for gibraltar pissflaps?

I'm not planning to.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why not?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
don't mention the war

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Kurtofan posted:

at least global warming will claim gibraltar, hopefully
let's just think for a moment about the characteristics of areas at risk of being inundated by rising seas and then the characteristics of gibraltar and see if they have anything in common, shall we?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they have monkeys

They can't live underwater, known fact

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

let's just think for a moment about the characteristics of areas at risk of being inundated by rising seas and then the characteristics of gibraltar and see if they have anything in common, shall we?

It might retroactively make people referring to it as an island, correct.

Kurtofan posted:

they have monkeys

They can't live underwater, known fact

What do you think Sea Monkeys are?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
a lie

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

What do you think Sea Monkeys are?

Other than the biggest disappointment a child can know? No idea.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

NATO membership is a red herring because NATO membership confers no rights of transit over member states territories (hence American planes and boats carrying nukes having to detour around Spain for most of the sixties and seventies and British ships having to skirt Turkish waters to get to Cyprus, for example)

Anyway, legally speaking, sovereign nations have the right to deny access to their territorial waters to any craft, but "territorial waters" is a slippery one, with Spain not recognising the British claim to the three-mile territorial waters. Britain can claim up to 12 miles but this would take it up to the limit of Morocco's waters and leave Spain in the strange position of having no legally-guaranteed right to transit ships from their Mediterranean ports to their Atlantic ports - Britain presumably don't want this to happen because it would make the legal dispute much more likely to go Spain's way.

As with most maritime law it's all a clusterfuck and is mostly settled with a bit of sabre-rattling and the occasional exchange of gunfire that everyone agrees was regrettable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LemonDrizzle posted:

I'm trying to think what India, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Burma, Malaysia, the East Coast of the USA, and a bunch of Pacific Islands have in common.

All former parts of the British Empire?

Gibraltar's hosed in a couple of years.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

Almost all of the inhabited bits of Gib (and certainly the only bits that make it strategically important) are at sea level or close to it. However it's comforting to know, come Waterworld, that there will be three Royal Marines still flying the Union Flag on the six square feet that is all that is left of the Empire.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I don't want to be a soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
you could be a troop instead

• Locked thread