Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i'm celebrity chef gordon ramsey and this is my executive kitchen *opens cupboard door to reveal a smaller cupboard made entirely of identical knives*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

they aren't loving cheap

oh you didn't say they were nm

I bought one for $7 from a camping store, works great; no cancer yet

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Lol at all the people saying they are washing cast iron pans with steel wool, or aren't washing their pan at all.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

enameled cast iron skillets and dutch ovens and stuff are the way to go imo. lodge makes some real good cheap ones so you dont have garbage teflon which scratches off and becomes p grody. ive had some of their stuff for years and it still looks almost brand new

ive got a dutch oven for you

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I dont know why the concept of buying poo poo thats low maintenance is so abhorrent to you guys

Im just gonna do whatever most goons arent doing because thats always the correct option

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SBJ posted:

just do whatever most goons arent doing because thats always the correct option

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

where can I buy this????

just call 1-800-FAT-TITS according to the new square red copper pan ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c_1QdIEElc

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Honky Dong Country posted:

Holy poo poo siding with the bear, people are loving insane.

Animal rights activists are easily the craziest group of people on the internet. There's like a hundred million of them, and they'll all resort to violence for the most ridiculous poo poo.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

:same:

edit: I always use soap with mine and it's fine lol

well now I have to hear about the fishing accident in Sasketoon

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I know right? my imagination is going loving nuts about ryans hosed up fishing journey

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

satanic splash-back posted:

I sigh and draw my Teflon skillet.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People keep bringing up how "indestructible" they are but when is the last time you broke a regular pan? Unless you're cooking on glass all pans are basically indestructible too unless you intentionally gently caress it up.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People keep bringing up how "indestructible" they are but when is the last time you broke a regular pan? Unless you're cooking on glass all pans are basically indestructible too unless you intentionally gently caress it up.

look at the bottom of your non-stick pan

do you see a scratch?

throw your non-stick pan in the garbage because it's broken

stainless steel is indestructible but everything sticks to it. carbon steel is indestructible but it's exactly as much of a pain in the rear end to maintain as cast iron.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

what's the best pan for making smooty chicken

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
all my pots and pans came in the same box for like $30, what can i say i have an eye for bargains

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Hah what's with all this pan talk cook your eggs into tubes you pieces of poo poo.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

This actually made me lol as I used Teflon pans for ages but got fed up as they couldn't sear a steak very well and bought a cast iron pan, and then proceeded to tell everyone it was a bitch to maintain but the steak is awesome. I had no idea I was part of a fad.

Oh, so this is why my steaks sear poorly. Good to know

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

All of the bizarre seasoning rituals and upkeep you're supposed to do are inventions of the Internet age. I use a cast iron skillet daily and I just loving cook with it. When it gets dirty, I just spend 10 seconds cleaning with a pan scraper like I would with anything else. I like it because it was $10 at Walmart and I can use it both on the stove top and in the oven and I can get it really hot without something breaking.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Drunk Nerds posted:

Oh, so this is why my steaks sear poorly. Good to know

Apprently Teflon is much poorer at transferring heat than iron is, so the pan heats up to a temperature just the same as a cast iron one but the speed at which that hest is transferred from the surface of the pan to the meat is much lower.

Essentially anything you want specifically seared or whatever Teflon is pretty bad, but for poo poo like eggs or sausages or whatever Teflon is just way easier

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Can the guy selling cast iron and drugs pm me? Thx

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Hot take - carbon steel is better.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I don't know any fancy seasoning rituals but I've been using the same cast iron griddle for over a decade and it makes steaks and pork chops better than anything else I can have in an apartment.

lol at cooking eggs on it though. Jesus, teflon was invented for a reason.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People keep bringing up how "indestructible" they are but when is the last time you broke a regular pan?

yeah the frying pan i use the most is one I bought in a budget grocery store for like $4, i cook with it just about every day and ive had it for five years, its doing just fine. i dont even know what kind of metal its made of tbh

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol if you sear steaks on a pan and not on the charcoal grill.

Stainless pans work fine. Cast iron has few applications. "Seasoning" is just a layer of polymerized oil, it's not adding any flavor to your food. You can wash it with soap, just don't soak it or go nuts scrubbing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Naerasa posted:

lol at cooking eggs on it though. Jesus, teflon was invented for a reason.

basically all pans are nonstick if you preheat them, the real issue with cooking eggs in cast iron is that preheating it takes a while compared to lighter/thinner stuff and nobody wants to wait on that poo poo just for a couple of eggs

ideal pan for eggs is a flimsy as poo poo camping aluminum one that costs like 89 cents

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I cook a mean roast chicken in my cast iron. You should have some OP

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Lol if you sear steaks on a pan and not on the charcoal grill.

this reminds me, grill pans can gently caress right off

i have no basis for this at all, something about them just makes me angry and i don't know why

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kitchner posted:

Apprently Teflon is much poorer at transferring heat than iron is, so the pan heats up to a temperature just the same as a cast iron one but the speed at which that hest is transferred from the surface of the pan to the meat is much lower.

It's actually the opposite, iron has much lower thermal conductivity than aluminum and copper which is why skillets are made of iron and can maintain their heat while cooking something and heatsinks are made out of aluminum and copper, because they can absorb and release heat incredibly quickly.

Also the whole pan isn't made out of teflon you loving goober

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Grill pans are cool for fish.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

all my pans are tungsten-carbide

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Grill pans are cool for fish.

I cook my fish on an actual grill as god intended.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah but sometimes it snows and poo poo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just lol if a little snow prevents you from grillin'

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Xaris posted:

enameled cast iron skillets and dutch ovens and stuff are the way to go imo. lodge makes some real good cheap ones so you dont have garbage teflon which scratches off and becomes p grody. ive had some of their stuff for years and it still looks almost brand new

I don't want my food to smell like farts thank you very much :smuggo:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bo-Pepper posted:

Hah what's with all this pan talk cook your eggs into tubes you pieces of poo poo.

I can't think of a more disgusting way to eat eggs, everyone involved with this deserves death

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

signalnoise posted:

It's actually the opposite, iron has much lower thermal conductivity than aluminum and copper which is why skillets are made of iron and can maintain their heat while cooking something and heatsinks are made out of aluminum and copper, because they can absorb and release heat incredibly quickly.

Also the whole pan isn't made out of teflon you loving goober

Listen nerd don't come in here with your science talk, some article online was talking about how much quicker iron as a surface transmits heat than Teflon and stainless steel which are the other two choices (other than copper which is not a good choice for a pan or skillet but should be considered for pots apprently).

I don't really get the science behind it all, I just know steaks in my Teflon pan struggle to get to medium rare because by the time you cook the outside enough the inside is also cooked, whereas the iron skillet I've got seared the poo poo out of those steaks and it was still basically raw on the inside demonstrating I in fact needed a lower heat than when cooking on Teflon.

Whatever the science is, cast iron > Teflon for searing meat.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

I can't think of a more disgusting way to eat eggs, everyone involved with this deserves death

That looks like a home dilldo maker

Yall want some dilldo eggs?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here is how to clean a cast iron pan. Pour in some salt. Rub with wet paper towel until you've got all the food matter out or absorbed by the salt. Rinse with hot water.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
lol itt retards who dont own a microwave

this thread is so far beneath me it's unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Bo-Pepper posted:

loving pardon?

what's happening here? what are the tongs holding on to? what am I looking at?

• Locked thread