Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
According to Rosewater there are no black embalm creatures. Focused on UW but present in all others except B.

Amonkhet flavor aside, to me it's the most black mechanic ever. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

The nonlegendary clause is really loving dumb if it's to "protect" new players. A lot of conversations are going to happen explaining to them how planeswalkers aren't actually legendary.
My guess is, it's there to prevent people from discarding Gods in limited.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

FordCQC posted:

The CMC change to split cards may kill Birdbrain.dec but it does open up cascade decks like Living End (are there any others?)

There's Restore Balance, if you use a loose definition of deck

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
All these zombies floating around hopefully we get a Zombie Apocalypse or Angel of Glory's Rise reprint

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uncommon legendaries, also I for one am glad to see Unstable Mutation get colorshifted

you know, the important things

Elyv fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 4, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The thing that annoys me about having Aftermath instead of regular old Flashback isn't the goofy frames, it's that it means we won't get an Unburial Rites reprint.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I tried to grab all the images from the Magic site but there were too many and I was left with

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You, you bother me.

Specifically, your token.

How does this work if he's your EDH commander?

Like, if you exile it from your graveyard, can you choose to put him in your command zone?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Another day of unexciting spoilers? Is WotC just saving all the exciting stuff for later on? Isn't one of the keys to a spoiler season trying to hype people up? This spoiler season seems like it's missing the mark by a lot.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The "-1/-1 counters as downside for low cost, but also a resource" mechanic is kind of a neat. And it's cool how the colorshifted Unstable Mutation works with those. You can use it to permanently buff and supply counters for anything with "T, remove a -1/-1 counter, do a thing".

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Count Bleck posted:

You, you bother me.

Like, if you exile it from your graveyard, can you choose to put him in your command zone?

Yes.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Count Bleck posted:

You, you bother me.

You should be able to yeah? Anytime exiling is on the table you can choose to put your general in the command zone instead.

Also BIG fan of unstable mutation reprint as red.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So basically I want to hope for a stupidly powerful legendary creature with Embalm.

I mean, this guy's good, but I can't think of a UW beatdown deck.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Good. This is a good thing. More of this, please.

Also, I am loving the green creatures with -1/-1 counters on them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sampatrick posted:

Another day of unexciting spoilers? Is WotC just saving all the exciting stuff for later on? Isn't one of the keys to a spoiler season trying to hype people up? This spoiler season seems like it's missing the mark by a lot.

They're starting with the spoilers for Limited players apparently, for once. :toot:

Oh hey. It's been a while.

Count Bleck posted:

So basically I want to hope for a stupidly powerful legendary creature with Embalm.
It would be cool to even just get the Embalm equivalent of Roar of the Wurm. Like a 6G 6/6 creature with Embalm 3G.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Count Bleck posted:

You, you bother me.

Yes. However, note that the token does not deal commander damage

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It's worth noting that the template appears to be that you can assign the -1/-1 counters to any creature you control. So if you have a servo out you could just nuke it and get a 4/4 for 1G with that uncommon.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Holy poo poo these cards are so bad.

Monuments are OK (for EDH)

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Nest of Scarabs is looking kind of disgusting with all these cheap green creatures that make a million -1/-1 counters. If it wasn't a 3 drop it would be so sweet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's worth noting that the template appears to be that you can assign the -1/-1 counters to any creature you control. So if you have a servo out you could just nuke it and get a 4/4 for 1G with that uncommon.

it's basically tarmogoyf wizards pls ban

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

80s James Hetfield posted:

Holy poo poo these cards are so bad.

Monuments are OK (for EDH)

They're good for Limited, which is the only format that really matters.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want an uncommon build-around that lets you move -1/-1 counters from these beefy undercosted green dudes onto your opponents' creatures.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

cast out seems, good?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A few of those monuments seem playable? I'm shocked.

Also the -1/-1 guys are not going to be fun to crash into each other while trying to keep combat math straight. Better stock up on dice. Looks like there are a lot of cheap pump effects too, limited might be very fast paced.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This was my thought as well. There's a way to really abuse these but I'm not smart enough to figure it out right now.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Okay, thank you for a cycling payoff card WotC. Drake Haven looks pretty exciting. Also combos really well with Collective Brutality. I kinda dig it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Cast Out seems pretty drat good to me.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I can't tell if this will do anything to Standard, but Limited looks like it might be really fun.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

C-Euro posted:

This was my thought as well. There's a way to really abuse these but I'm not smart enough to figure it out right now.
Well the easy one is that you can use the mana ramp creature's counters up, then replenish it and get a 4/4 out for 2 mana. Not really abuse, but pretty good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

If there's any good 1-drop Embalm guys, sacrificing them to get a turn two 4/4 seems pretty good in draft.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Insolent Neonate seems like a pretty good way to abuse the guys who shrink a creature on your side on ETB

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://twitter.com/TokyoMTG/status/849278145559539713

(the return land is actually a "may" apparently)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
OK this is the card I want to P1P1 in every draft.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You know what would be really great with that?

Smuggler's Copter. :smith:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

This card is cool and would be a fun 1-of in Mono-U Turns instead of Thassa but they are pretty comparable.

Why yes I did just build that deck because it does cool things like draw cards and take extra turns.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Elyv posted:

Booooring.

Hellbent Dog is neat because hellbent is actually a condition that you don't want. 7+ cards in hand? Great. That's already something good. Having a good thing turn on a 5/5 indestructible flyer is just an uninteresting win-more condition.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

I'm an idiot and I'm going to CoCo for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like the blue ibis god will do a lot of blocking and then leaving combat as it stops being a creature because you cast a removal spell on their other unblocked creature.

Also it encourages your opponent to first-main-phase their spells so you have to choose between countering and blocking, which is kind of interesting.

• Locked thread