Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Maluco Marinero posted:

lol it's how men thought programming was going to work when they decided programming was 'women's work'. (it didn't)

Dirk the Average posted:

It's also analogous to how engineers and technicians work in R&D. An R&D engineer writes test protocols and reports, and technicians execute the protocols and reports. Engineers are also expected to do the executions from time to time depending on staffing levels and seniority.

Of course sexism is a major systemic problem in engineering professions, and was especially in the past. However, one thing that people conveniently leave out when they go on their spiel about how programming used to be women's work and once it became a man's job, it became extremely lucrative is that software & process automation has killed a lot of the lower-skilled jobs in engineering, and now there aren't as many technician and lower-skilled jobs in engineering as there used to be. To equate the really highly-compensated, tip-top talent software engineer jobs in Silicon Valley with the ENIAC programmer jobs during WWII is more than a little misleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

silence_kit posted:

Of course sexism is a major systemic problem in engineering professions, and was especially in the past. However, one thing that people conveniently leave out when they go on their spiel about how programming used to be women's work and once it became a man's job, it became extremely lucrative is that software & process automation has killed a lot of the lower-skilled jobs in engineering, and now there aren't as many technician and lower-skilled jobs in engineering as there used to be. To equate the really highly-compensated, tip-top talent software engineer jobs in Silicon Valley with the ENIAC programmer jobs during WWII is more than a little misleading.
Never was red text more apposite.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Working on the team that literally invented the computer: less valuable than being a dev at Nachr, an app that provides home delivery of nacho ingredients in the Bay area and NYC.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Working on the team that literally invented the computer: less valuable than being a dev at Nachr, an app that provides home delivery of nacho ingredients in the Bay area and NYC.

Please tell me that was a joke and not an actual startup.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

MiddleOne posted:

At this point, I can't tell fact from fiction with startups either. :(

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/feldpos/status/848554527204794368

Wow these people are sensitive!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MiddleOne posted:

I just made it up but that doesn't mean it can't be real, all you have to do is open your minds and your checkbooks...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

silence_kit posted:

To equate the really highly-compensated, tip-top talent software engineer jobs in Silicon Valley with the ENIAC programmer jobs during WWII is more than a little misleading.

Yeah, the ENIAC programmer jobs were far more important and difficult.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Never was red text more apposite.

Obviously a huge reason why the women ENIAC programmers weren't doing more highly skilled work was because they weren't afforded the opportunities to do so.

However there is a hidden assumption in that narrative which is that software/engineering jobs are all the same and that the nature of software/engineering jobs hasn't changed in 80 years, which is kind of wrong.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this is true, they've gotten much easier and lucrative as they've become increasingly dominated by men who are, generally, lazy spoiled pissbabies

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow. "You left a bad Amazon review, therefore we're bricking your device."

I've only ever worked in the OS-development/language-development side of the industry, so I have a weird POV. I thought the top-down "senior guy designs the whole thing, junior guy just implements from detailed spec" model was deader than Haman. Is it still common?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've only ever worked in the OS-development/language-development side of the industry, so I have a weird POV. I thought the top-down "senior guy designs the whole thing, junior guy just implements from detailed spec" model was deader than Haman. Is it still common?

Well the funny thing about that device, is that it was an indiegogo project:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/garadget-app-smartphone#/

Which uh, adds a camera to show that your garage door is in fact closed, and allows you to remotely close or open your garage door when you're out of visible range, by controlling your actual garage door opener.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Expose the opening and closing of my garage door to the internet at large? What could go wrong!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've only ever worked in the OS-development/language-development side of the industry, so I have a weird POV. I thought the top-down "senior guy designs the whole thing, junior guy just implements from detailed spec" model was deader than Ha...

Boo!!! Beep! BEEP!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah working at Google and Amazon, even junior engineers are making 'design decisions' on some level, even it's just designing individual classes and methods.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

why are these people so bad at renaming/naming new poo poo. alphabet. oath. xi. academi.

well in those cases they were deliberately trying to disassociate their company with the previous name, but using an actual word might have been helpful.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Xae posted:

A programmer is a developer with little or no autonomy. They receive a specification that details what they are going to build. They are told to build a function that takes parameters A, B and C and then runs them through formula D and returns result E.

The Software Engineer is the guy who wrote those specs. And designed the application around it.

But this is IT titles land. The job title frequently has nothing to do with what the position does. I've seen places hire people with 2 year degrees and call them Software Engineers. I've also seen people with multiple advanced degrees and decades of experienced titled as Programmers.

No one cares about or respects these definitions of yours.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I don't think you read his entire post.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

Boo!!! Beep! BEEP!

What did I say?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Mozi posted:

I don't think you read his entire post.

That's the thing - these aren't actual titles, so no one cares that someone with 20 years of experience is called a programmer. The nomenclature is fake.

I'm a machine learning phd, and my title is developer.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

this is true, they've gotten much easier and lucrative as they've become increasingly dominated by men who are, generally, lazy spoiled pissbabies

Speaking as a lazy spoiled pissbaby and a man in tech I agree with this post.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

a foolish pianist posted:

That's the thing - these aren't actual titles, so no one cares that someone with 20 years of experience is called a programmer. The nomenclature is fake.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that he said the exact same thing, that the titles don't matter.

FWIW I'm called a software engineer for the sole reason that it sounds more impressive.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What did I say?

Did I misunderstand you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haman#Purim_traditions

quote:

A special noisemaker called in Hebrew a ra'ashan (רעשן) (in Yiddish: "gregger" or "hamandreyir") is used to express disdain for Haman.
(also people boo, etc)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

Did I misunderstand you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haman#Purim_traditions
(also people boo, etc)

Ohhhhh. I was referring to the book of Esther, yes, but I didn't know about that Purim tradition. Sounds like enormous fun! (I'm Christian, but I always loved reading Esther when I was a child.)

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

At my shop we have a rather top down approach but I guess that's what happens when our DMTS (Distinguished Member of Technical Staff) was one of the people who wrote the IEEE spec. In day to day operations developers are left to their own.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Mozi posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that he said the exact same thing, that the titles don't matter.

FWIW I'm called a software engineer for the sole reason that it sounds more impressive.

(Being pedantic here) He implied that those were/are the standards for position titles but "lol anything goes nowadays in SV". We're saying that the jobs were never organized in a system like that and the first part of his post is an opinion. Same for "Architect" and "Senior __" in tech, the meaning is totally subjective and we should ignore people whining about 20-somethings with "inflated" titles. We're not ABET-accredited engineers, we don't have a governing body, and this poo poo is every-person-for-themselves. Like you said about "Engineer", go for what the MBAs think is most impressive

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 4, 2017

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Those are the worst kind of developers

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Analytic Engine posted:

Like you said about "Engineer", go for what the MBAs think is mist impressive

In that case, just call me 'Grand High Exalted Mistwalker Technician (2nd grade)'

Orkiec
Dec 28, 2008

My gut, huh?

No one cares about or respects these definitions of yours.

The tech world certainly doesn't. There's no pecking order between a Programmer, a Software Developer, a Software Engineer, or a Software Analyst. Hell, one company's senior developer is another's junior. But, in the H1B world, they do care. In the government's eyes, a Software Developer is the architect up high that designs the system, and a Programmer is the code monkey that writes it all out. It seems to be only H1B workers with the title "Programmer" that are in trouble.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mozi posted:

In that case, just call me 'Grand High Exalted Mistwalker Technician (2nd grade)'

You're hired, it'll make the team look better at the next presentation for our VCs

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Orkiec posted:

There's no pecking order between a Programmer, a Software Developer, a Software Engineer, or a Software Analyst

True, though from what I've seen in NYC the same doesn't apply to Data Analysts / Data Engineers / Data Scientists. There's blatant elitism and snobbery in engineering departments over only hiring PhDs or exceptional Masters holders into Data Science roles. We have a lot of bitter 35+ year old statisticians who've been doing unsexy underpaid work for 10 years, and now that the job is popular and supported with better tools they couldn't be more jealous of the new kids.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Remember that guy who stole self-driving car prototypes from Google to start his own business, and then sold that business to Uber? Turns out he was still working for Google at the time he did it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/uber-exec-accused-of-stealing-from-google-made-120m-while-working-on-the-side/

quote:

According to a Google document filed in court yesterday, Levandowski created "competing side businesses" as early as 2012 while he was still working for Google. That's when Levandowski is said to have incorporated a company called Odin Wave LLC, with a physical address at a building he owned in Berkeley, California.

quote:

Levandowski not only started work on his competing self-driving car business while he still worked at Google, he tried to recruit more Googlers to join him, according to the filing. He worked together with a partner who also was at Google and whose name is redacted from the filings. However, as TechCrunch notes in its review of the new documents, the work history described matches that of Otto cofounder Lior Ron.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The industry uses neither "engineer designs, programmer implements" nor "senior designs, junior implements" and in many parts of it has never used that kind of process.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Doggles posted:

Remember that guy who stole self-driving car prototypes from Google to start his own business, and then sold that business to Uber? Turns out he was still working for Google at the time he did it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/uber-exec-accused-of-stealing-from-google-made-120m-while-working-on-the-side/

Jesus they are proper hosed, next it'll turn out he's got a mycrimes.txt hanging around too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Analytic Engine posted:

(Being pedantic here) He implied that those were/are the standards for position titles but "lol anything goes nowadays in SV". We're saying that the jobs were never organized in a system like that and the first part of his post is an opinion. Same for "Architect" and "Senior __" in tech, the meaning is totally subjective and we should ignore people whining about 20-somethings with "inflated" titles. We're not ABET-accredited engineers, we don't have a governing body, and this poo poo is every-person-for-themselves. Like you said about "Engineer", go for what the MBAs think is most impressive

This is not pedantic at all for anyone in the industry. Titles are nearly non-comparitory between companies and are also used in lieu of actual monetary compensation for those who don't know better.

"Engineer" "Junior" "Senior" have literally mo meaning outside of the context of a specific company when it relates to software and network people. "Engineer" was coopted and never should have been (I've spent most of my career as some level of network "engineer" and having that word in my title makes me cringe) and the rest is completely arbitrary.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

*spins ratchet*

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

silence_kit posted:

Last I checked, ENIAC didn't exist until after WWII.

Edit: To clarify, was operational. The project started during WWII - but nobody was programming it at the time.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 5, 2017

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

In my experience specs are usually written by a nontechnical product manager/designer, unless the task is highly technical or the team is too small to have a PM, in which case it's pretty much whoever on the team knows about the topic and has time.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Doggles posted:

And new updates roll in. Now Uber/that guy are claiming they can't disclose anything related to the acquisition on grounds of self-incrimination in criminal proceedings.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/ubers-levandowski-really-doesnt-want-to-talk-about-any-waymo-documents

quote:

When Uber bought Anthony Levandowski's startup Otto for $680 million, an unnamed third party conducted a "due diligence review." Now, Levandowski and his lawyers are fighting hard to keep that review under wraps.

Google's Waymo self-driving car spinoff sued Uber in February. Waymo said that Otto, and now Uber, is using technology that Levandowski stole from Google, where he worked until early 2016.

In a document filed in court this afternoon, Levandowski says that US District Judge William Alsup should modify an earlier discovery order to protect Levandowski's Fifth Amendment rights. Levandowski's lawyers want the court to make clear that neither Uber nor Levandowski should be compelled to say who did the review or what documents, if any, were reviewed.

"[R]equiring disclosure of these facts would separately violate Mr. Levandowski's Fifth Amendment right not to be compelled to reveal the existence, location, possession, or identity of any documents that might furnish a link in a chain of possible incrimination," states the motion (PDF).

Levandowski's lawyers want to avoid disclosing even a "privilege log," which would be a list of documents they believe are protected by attorney-client privilege. Even revealing such a log "would violate Mr. Levandowski's right against self-incrimination," the motion advises.

Tuesday's motion continues:

Plaintiffs are certainly free to use any legitimate tools of civil discovery to locate evidence they deem relevant to their civil lawsuit. But they are not free to use the power and authority of this Court to order disclosures that are protected under Mr. Levandowski's Fifth Amendment rights.

The Court cannot, consistent with the Fifth Amendment, order Mr. Levandowski—or any counsel owing obligations of attorney-client confidentiality to him—to disclose information that could furnish a "link in the chain" to the existence, possession, location, or identity of evidence that may be used in any possible criminal prosecution of Mr. Levandowski.

Google must reply to Levandowski's motion tomorrow, and a hearing on the matter is scheduled for Thursday. US District Judge William Alsup will address other discovery matters in a hearing today.

What the gently caress did they do? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

axeil posted:

And new updates roll in. Now Uber/that guy are claiming they can't disclose anything related to the acquisition on grounds of self-incrimination in criminal proceedings.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/ubers-levandowski-really-doesnt-want-to-talk-about-any-waymo-documents

What the gently caress did they do? :stare:

Uber took a bunch of VC and paid a Google executive to commit industrial espionage