Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Does anyone have a suggestion for general zone progression? Just finished getting the data slate upgrade last night , trying to figure out which direction to go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Meridian posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for general zone progression? Just finished getting the data slate upgrade last night , trying to figure out which direction to go next.

Go where your heart leads you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meridian posted:

Honestly, totally up to you. If you look at the map markers for the Free the Divine Beasts quest, it will give you some general areas to go to, and you can honestly do them in any order you want to. The Zora one is the closest to Kakariko/Hateno so it makes some sense to do that first, and the reward you get for the northwest one (which is the Rito one) is really awesome so that one's a good one to do first as well.

I'd save the southwest one for last for a couple reasons. It's not necessarily harder than the others (though the boss might be), I just thought it made sense to do last, especially given the reward it gives you. That said, if you dig desert regions, it's not a bad idea to do that one first, too. You really can't go wrong.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Meridian posted:

Follow a road till you hit something. Or climbing a mountain. Your call. No direction is the wrong direction.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Can anyone give me a hint how to at least take a step into Thyphlo Ruina without falling into muck? Oh there is a bridge over to it that I just found...

RCarr posted:

I paraglided in.

There's a bridge but also the way the zone works is that if you drop the second it goes into darkness while paragliding you're still over the mud, it's kind of disorienting. I know I fell in the first time but you can just fly in as long as you keep moving forward after the cutscene.

Also for those who were wondering where they're going for the next Zelda...

quote:

The next game might be an even greater challenge, but will it evolve the open air concept of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or will you make a dungeon clearing-type game?

Aonuma: “In the future, this will probably become the standard form.”

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/legend-zelda-breath-wild-open-air-concept-new-standard-producer-says

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/legend-zelda-breath-wild-open-air-concept-new-standard-producer-says

:eyepop:

I would like to bring back bigger dungeons but if I had to pick between those and something that manages to meaningfully evolve on BotW's open world, I think I'd take the latter. So here's hoping they can pull it off again.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Phantasium posted:

quote:

Where is the story of Breath of the Wild positioned in the history of Hyrule?

Fujibayashi: “Shouldn’t that… be left to your imagination?”

Producer Eiji Aonuma: “The history of Hyrule changes over time. As a matter of fact, there have been several times so far that once determined history has changed. Even the details in history textbooks are gradually changing. So this time, the situation is as if I found new ancient documents. (Laughs.)”

Pack it up lore nerds, history is ever changing and open to interpretation and he just owned yall with some real talk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

comingafteryouall posted:

Pack it up lore nerds, history is ever changing and open to interpretation and he just owned yall with some real talk.

I want them to release a new timeline that shuffles things around completely and somehow puts Skyward Sword as the most recent game so everyone becomes deeply confused.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Fi, but she's just an app on the Sheikah Slate and tries to tell you inconsequential poo poo while you're looking at the map.

"You've placed a marker on the Rito village... did you know that a blue rupee is worth 5 rupees?"

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Fi, but she's just an app on the Sheikah Slate and tries to tell you inconsequential poo poo while you're looking at the map.

"You've placed a marker on the Rito village... did you know that a blue rupee is worth 5 rupees?"

Your Sheikah Slate has a very limited hard drive size, and Fi constantly reminds you that you need to delete apps to free up space for updates.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

quote:

So more subpar dungeon's with subpar bosses? But we have the little shrine's to keep us going in between garbage everything breaking after 2 hits combat.

Calling it "open air" to make it sound like it's something different while it's not is so digustingly Nintendo it hurts. The retconing of Hyrule Historia is really funny though.

Nintendo is doomed.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think they should go all the way with making the dungeons/shrines less formal and more thoroughly integrated into the world. That feels like the clear next step for the series. Most of the map in BotW is natural territory and that works well as a motif for the game, but I'd happily trade away some of that sprawling map size if it meant denser, more complex and puzzle-laden places to explore. A cave that leads into a massive subterranean fire temple, a labyrinth that's the only passable route to one part of the map, etc.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do hope they add more classic items in the next game. Like the hookshot could get a permanent bow slot. Something like the spinner could get a new permanent shield slot. Other items could be slate apps or weapons like the korok leaf and torch.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

quote:

Where is the story of Breath of the Wild positioned in the history of Hyrule?

Fujibayashi: “Shouldn’t that… be left to your imagination?”

:drat:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Go all in with the robot motif and Monolithsoft's help and just make Zeldablade with one gigantic robot dungeon.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

comingafteryouall posted:

as a minor lore nerd this is a good attitude to take towards creative work. Stuff like ww's and BotW's callbacks are cool, restraining your creativity to precisely adhere to imaginary history is dumb

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Section Z posted:

Raising your bond with a Stalhorse does not keep them from leaving. But it does mean their spirit is soothed and they move on to the proper horsey afterlife where they can hang out with the cool horse goddess :3:

:unsmith:

Meridian posted:

The Zora zone seems to have been set up as the next in sequence, as far as sequence means anything in this game - you've got a nice combat training run up to Zora's Domain with Sidon checking in on you regularly, and you get a massively useful item when you get there. Just leave Kakariko by the entrance overlooking the swamp; there are a couple of shrines to open up and a couple of Zoras to meet.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think they should go all the way with making the dungeons/shrines less formal and more thoroughly integrated into the world. That feels like the clear next step for the series. Most of the map in BotW is natural territory and that works well as a motif for the game, but I'd happily trade away some of that sprawling map size if it meant denser, more complex and puzzle-laden places to explore. A cave that leads into a massive subterranean fire temple, a labyrinth that's the only passable route to one part of the map, etc.

I want a deserted city that isn't as thoroughly ruined as the ruins in BotW.

Also waterbreathing gear and Iron Boots again please thank you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The beauty of that is those can be a head piece and leg piece so you don't even have to change the game's systems fundamentally.

I say get rid of the whistle button though and let down arrow be quick items or outfits with a couple saved and sets available. If you gotta keep whistle put it on left stick and make stealth crouching a long A press.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

The Zora zone seems to have been set up as the next in sequence, as far as sequence means anything in this game - you've got a nice combat training run up to Zora's Domain with Sidon checking in on you regularly, and you get a massively useful item when you get there. Just leave Kakariko by the entrance overlooking the swamp; there are a couple of shrines to open up and a couple of Zoras to meet.

Also even before you get too close you find a ton of different Zoras going "oh hey you're a Hylian, maybe please could you come to our village to see what's going on, you look cool"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I want dungeon items, but rather than make them essential tools to complete a dungeon, make them new ways to travel--whether more fun or more efficient. Basically what I'm saying is give us back the clawshots and spinner and make them usable on any wall thanks in advance.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Argue posted:

I want dungeon items, but rather than make them essential tools to complete a dungeon, make them new ways to travel--whether more fun or more efficient. Basically what I'm saying is give us back the clawshots and spinner and make them usable on any wall thanks in advance.

Pegasus boots combined with shield surfing/gliding would be awesome.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes. Make the hookshot a bow and make the spinner a shield.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

parallelodad posted:

The beauty of that is those can be a head piece and leg piece so you don't even have to change the game's systems fundamentally.

And stamina depletion could become oxygen depletion if you're underwater without breathing gear.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harrow posted:

The only way weapon reforging wouldn't make the game more tedious is if it was only for specific late-game weapons and just as expensive as reforging Champion weapons. Adding in repairing or reforging across the board would add a new layer of tedium, I think, because many players would feel compelled to hang onto their damaged weapons or (if reforging instead of repairing) frequently return to whoever reforges weapons, rather than just scavenging up some new ones as they go. That would suck. I don't want to feel like I need to repair my stuff or it's a waste, y'know?

Really I think the better answer, instead of going and farming for the best weapons constantly (which, okay, sure, is probably just as tedious as going to repair all the time) is to just maybe not always have a full suite of top-tier weapons? I never bothered with that and I did find. Granted I wasn't out there chain-killing Lynels over and over again, but for the most part "just work with what I find" went fine for me from beginning to end. I reforged Revali's bow a few times and maybe twice I ducked into a Major Test of Strength specifically to grab a few Guardian weapons, but other than that I never felt like I had to go out of my way to get the best weapons and not having the best weapons all the time didn't make the game more tedious for me. Going and farming weapons probably makes tough enemies die faster, but do they die fast enough that it makes up for the time you spent going and farming the weapons?

Well the tedium would only exist for players who want it. But not having the option is ultimately worse because in order to get what I want I have to make a Hyrule Castle run or save scum the amiibos which are ultimately more tedious than just having someone that could forge me whatever I wanted at a high price.

Look, at this point in my 125 hours with BOTW I've beaten all of the Divine Beasts, Ganon, all 120 Shrines, 345 Korok seeds and I've explored the whole world. All that's left is to find and complete the last 16 quests, max out all my armor and get the rest of the Korok Seeds if I want until the DLC is out. I've earned my keep and there really isn't anything left to see or do and the challenge of surviving isn't there anymore because I have maxed out health and my Fierce Deity Armor is upgraded fully. I just want to run around and search for the remainder of the stuff while being a total bad-rear end with awesome weapons that are from other Zelda titles. Getting that stuff back reliably at the cost of rupees and materials which literally have no use to me right now other than buying another Hylian Shield if mine breaks would be great. Make the shop open up after you beat Ganon or something so you can't just do it right off the bat.

It would also be great if you could reforge weapons and up their stats and attributes so they'd be awesome high end weapons. Let me forge a 70+ Magic Rod that just decimates anything I aim it at. The game has so many weapon variants for aesthetics and by the end you don't see any of them because late game items are either Royal or Lynel. Using anything else is just a waste of time, if you can even find it. I love the look of the Forest Dweller set but I stopped finding things from that set about halfway through the game and if I did manage to find one then it's damage was terrible and not worth using so I'd toss it. Same with the Gerudo stuff, by the time I started getting Gerudo weapons they weren't worth holding on to because their damage was a lot lower than everything else I was carrying. A lot of weapons are absolutely useless by the end game.

GobiasIndustries posted:

so if you can get the best weapons, what is the point of reforging then? I feel like reforging would just lead to attachments to weapons which defeats the whole purpose of a ton of weapons that randomly show up.

e: and re: the amiibo stuff, isn't that the whole point? If I could just buy a toy and put it on my gamepad and it would give me the best weapons ever whenever I wanted, that cheapens things.

The amiibo literally already do that and then some: they'll also give you armors, a top tier horse and a bunch of high end weapons, materials and survival items that make the game a gently caress ton easier. It's just to get a certain exclusive (and awesome) items they're low RNG drops but you can get around that by save scumming. So the amiibo already "cheapens" things.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder what the game would be like if we relied on items and equipment to traverse terrain instead of climbing, actually. It might be a lot more similar to previous games. Not to knock climbing, but it gets boring sometimes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
My main regret about this game is that I wish I climbed and glided a lot less and used roads more. Taking the "as the bird flies" route from place to place is a lot less interesting that the prescribed pathways.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How does it run on wiiu? I don't want to buy a console for this game.

Mostly I mean how bad ate the 'frame drops'

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, the climbing is super cool, but it becomes a first-order optimal strategy where most things can be solved by "climb lots", and when you've got stamina potions out the wazoo, it's​ no longer a challenge and just becomes a Point A to Point B thing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Digital Foundry analysis of the recent patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6NkNgI1ssw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Motto posted:

as a minor lore nerd this is a good attitude to take towards creative work. Stuff like ww's and BotW's callbacks are cool, restraining your creativity to precisely adhere to imaginary history is dumb

The way botw does it is great. 10000 years is a loving long time for poo poo to change, to the point that any existing history is mere legend if not entirely forgotten, and most things are just dilapidated ruins.

That's how all zelda games should go to be honest.

Alternatively, Zelda's world is purgatory, all these people are doomed to live in the same world in different configurations for eternity

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

The way botw does it is great. 10000 years is a loving long time for poo poo to change, to the point that any existing history is mere legend if not entirely forgotten, and most things are just dilapidated ruins.

That's how all zelda games should go to be honest.

Alternatively, Zelda's world is purgatory, all these people are doomed to live in the same world in different configurations for eternity

10,000 years is a Japanese phrase/ convention similar to our 'once upon a time' or a 'long long time ago'. It is not literally 10,000 years ago.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How does it run on wiiu? I don't want to buy a console for this game.

Mostly I mean how bad ate the 'frame drops'

It's fine. A few drops here and there, mostly when there's an enemy barrage.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Also even before you get too close you find a ton of different Zoras going "oh hey you're a Hylian, maybe please could you come to our village to see what's going on, you look cool"

Yeah I have already met the prince, but veered off and have just been doing towers and shrines. Was just wondering if there is particular order to do the next quest markers that makes for the best experience.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
When all my weapons are already top tier, it just makes chests with weapons the new chests with rupees; consumable interesting travel items might also be a good way to make inventory management matter a bit more; eg: a rope arrow that lets you run a string across a gap, or a consumable roc's feather (I guess that's Revali's Gale though), a run-on-water potion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HERAK posted:

10,000 years is a Japanese phrase/ convention similar to our 'once upon a time' or a 'long long time ago'. It is not literally 10,000 years ago.

Well boy they hosed up the translation bigly then!!!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Honestly my main enemy on the Wii U version is enemy pop-in. Like I will be looking at what is very clearly an encampment where enemies should be, all the furniture and props totally loaded, but no enemies in sight, until I get close enough to actually get spotted. Then, presto! Enemies appear like magic. It's really jarring. Is it that bad on the Switch?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Meridian posted:

Yeah I have already met the prince, but veered off and have just been doing towers and shrines. Was just wondering if there is particular order to do the next quest markers that makes for the best experience.

If I have learned anything about this game (and I feel like I don't know half as much as most in this thread) it is that this game rewards randomness and not having a set order. I have been victim of trying to keep on the right path, because it kind of goes against everything I have ever learned in video games to just throw caution to the wind and say gently caress it, let's check out that shiny object and en route get distracted by something else which leads to something else. I'm slowly coming around to this way of thinking but this game really does seem to want you to do that.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Spergatory posted:

Honestly my main enemy on the Wii U version is enemy pop-in. Like I will be looking at what is very clearly an encampment where enemies should be, all the furniture and props totally loaded, but no enemies in sight, until I get close enough to actually get spotted. Then, presto! Enemies appear like magic. It's really jarring. Is it that bad on the Switch?

Not that I have noticed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well the tedium would only exist for players who want it. But not having the option is ultimately worse because in order to get what I want I have to make a Hyrule Castle run or save scum the amiibos which are ultimately more tedious than just having someone that could forge me whatever I wanted at a high price.

Look, at this point in my 125 hours with BOTW I've beaten all of the Divine Beasts, Ganon, all 120 Shrines, 345 Korok seeds and I've explored the whole world. All that's left is to find and complete the last 16 quests, max out all my armor and get the rest of the Korok Seeds if I want until the DLC is out. I've earned my keep and there really isn't anything left to see or do and the challenge of surviving isn't there anymore because I have maxed out health and my Fierce Deity Armor is upgraded fully. I just want to run around and search for the remainder of the stuff while being a total bad-rear end with awesome weapons that are from other Zelda titles. Getting that stuff back reliably at the cost of rupees and materials which literally have no use to me right now other than buying another Hylian Shield if mine breaks would be great. Make the shop open up after you beat Ganon or something so you can't just do it right off the bat.

It would also be great if you could reforge weapons and up their stats and attributes so they'd be awesome high end weapons. Let me forge a 70+ Magic Rod that just decimates anything I aim it at. The game has so many weapon variants for aesthetics and by the end you don't see any of them because late game items are either Royal or Lynel. Using anything else is just a waste of time, if you can even find it. I love the look of the Forest Dweller set but I stopped finding things from that set about halfway through the game and if I did manage to find one then it's damage was terrible and not worth using so I'd toss it. Same with the Gerudo stuff, by the time I started getting Gerudo weapons they weren't worth holding on to because their damage was a lot lower than everything else I was carrying. A lot of weapons are absolutely useless by the end game.

I guess that's just not really what game this is. I'm not sure there's supposed to be a point at which you're just kitted out with 70-attack renewable weapons, even after you beat Ganon.

Again, I'm not out chain-killing Lynels for the hell of it, so maybe I'm not the right person to speak to this, but that also doesn't seem to be what the game was built for. Once you're at a point where survival is no longer an issue, then I'm pretty sure the point is that the game is over. There's no more, at least until DLC. You're artificially dragging it out and demanding the best equipment for stuff you just clearly don't need it for and I think that's not really something the game was ever built for, which is why there's no need for repairing or reforging or an on-demand weapons merchant.

I did almost all of the shrines and all of the main and side quests and never once did I feel like I was supposed to have a full inventory of Royal or Lynel weapons, nor did I ever feel like I needed that for the game to be fun. Once you're at a point where your main goal is to kill things as efficiently as possible, I honestly think you're beyond the point that the game was designed to be played to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Spergatory posted:

Nope. There was even a part where I expected it to be enemy pop in and I very carefully, sneakily, and slowly approached to find that it was just an abandoned camp.