Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > The Japanese politics thread: Old men loving robots ITT

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Truga posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > The Japanese politics thread: Old men loving ITT

FTFY

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I always say when the robot uprising/SkyNet 2.0 comes Japan will be the first affected so we'll at least have a little time before they blanket the world in their metallic glow

mystes
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > The Japanese politics thread: Old men loving robots ITT
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > The Japanese politics thread: This thread always degenerates into "weird japan" within 2 pages

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > The Japanese politics thread: This thread always degenerates into "weird japan" within 2 pages

I'll take this one too

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah but you can't hire robots to entice sexless, single 20 something salary-men into maid cafes. Akiba would collapse!

Give it a bit of time, they'll get there.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah but you can't hire robots to entice sexless, single 20 something salary-men into maid cafes. Akiba would collapse!

Maid-cafes, the only industry surviving from the pre-AI-driven economy. Who'd have thought?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kenishi posted:

There are more jobs than just nurses out there and AI/Robots can realistically fill them. Delivery, warehousing, agriculture-anything, taxi services, retail/service jobs, freight services.

ok, i meant more along the lines of nursing home staff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

ok, i meant more along the lines of nursing home staff.
I think this will likely run into problems where you might be able to somewhat reduce the requirements for unskilled labor by using machines to help move patients with limited mobility, etc., but the unskilled labor isn't the bottleneck in the first place.

Immigration is also an option, and Japan has a program where foreign workers can come and train to become caregivers, but they have to pass a test (in Japanese, written for native Japanese speakers) within I think two years or they have to leave. This is basically impossible if they aren't already fluent in Japanese so only a handful pass every year and the entire system is more or less pointless.

Immigration seems to be a hard sell to Japanese voters in the first place, and for nursing homes the language barrier is actually a legitimate concern because the staff need to be able to communicate with the people in the nursing homes. In other fields it might be practical for companies to employ lots of foreign workers very quickly if the need emerged and the laws were changed appropriately. Unfortunately, caregiving, despite otherwise being the obvious target for foreign workers, is a situation where this might not be possible. Even if Japan starts seriously teaching kids English, that isn't going to help the baby boom generation.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mystes posted:

I think this will likely run into problems where you might be able to somewhat reduce the requirements for unskilled labor by using machines to help move patients with limited mobility, etc., but the unskilled labor isn't the bottleneck in the first place.

Immigration is also an option, and Japan has a program where foreign workers can come and train to become caregivers, but they have to pass a test (in Japanese, written for native Japanese speakers) within I think two years or they have to leave. This is basically impossible if they aren't already fluent in Japanese so only a handful pass every year and the entire system is more or less pointless.

Immigration seems to be a hard sell to Japanese voters in the first place, and for nursing homes the language barrier is actually a legitimate concern because the staff need to be able to communicate with the people in the nursing homes. In other fields it might be practical for companies to employ lots of foreign workers very quickly if the need emerged and the laws were changed appropriately. Unfortunately, caregiving, despite otherwise being the obvious target for foreign workers, is a situation where this might not be possible. Even if Japan starts seriously teaching kids English, that isn't going to help the baby boom generation.

To be honest, I expect that I will be cared for by Filipino nurses when I end up in palliative care and their native fluency would not be important. However glorious Nippon is weird af about their language being spoken by non-Japanese. My partner has been in Canada for 20 years, but if she hears someone non-native speaking Japanese she starts to complain about it.

"Quit complaining about the steward telling you the flight will be 9 hours. " - me

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mystes posted:

I'm not sure of how the lack of English-speaking is an issue in this case but otherwise this feels pretty spot on.

ocrumsprug posted:

To be honest, I expect that I will be cared for by Filipino nurses when I end up in palliative care and their native fluency would not be important. However glorious Nippon is weird af about their language being spoken by non-Japanese. My partner has been in Canada for 20 years, but if she hears someone non-native speaking Japanese she starts to complain about it.

"Quit complaining about the steward telling you the flight will be 9 hours. " - me

anecdotal as gently caress but I recall some blog or something saying it's ideal to aim to be 30% japanese, so that everyone's eyes will bug out when you speak conversational japanese but they don't try to incorporate you into the Glorious Nippon hundred-thousand strong Spirit or whatever it's called.

if you try to marry into a family you're 100% turbofucked though

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 4, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm not sure of how the lack of English-speaking is an issue in this case but otherwise this feels pretty spot on.
What I meant was that the government's current efforts to increase Japanese people's ability to use English could (if successful which they won't be) make it easier to incorporate foreign workers into the workforce in the future in say 15 years, but even if this came to pass it still probably wouldn't help with nursing homes, which unfortunately may actually be one of the areas where the lack of workers becomes most problematic.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The only way to increase the Japanese population's English ability is to increase the numbers of English speaking foreigners in Japan.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Stringent posted:

The only way to increase the Japanese population's English ability is to increase the numbers of English speaking foreigners in Japan.

A solution favored by literally nobody.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ocrumsprug posted:

Your sample size of one doesn't say much. Your partner is a weirdo expat.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I work with immigration here and I'm not sure why everyone thinks the govt. is so anti immigrant. Compared to other countries, getting a visa here is very easy and fees involved are negligible.

There's also a system in place for low-skilled immigrants to come to Japan and work in factories, restaurants, and other such jobs. Technically it's kind of a grey zone, but very well-known and exploited in Asian countries. Especially in Nepal, there's a very good chance that any Nepali will be in Japan due to this system, and even if they have a proper visa they'll all know about it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Original_Z posted:

I work with immigration here and I'm not sure why everyone thinks the govt. is so anti immigrant. Compared to other countries, getting a visa here is very easy and fees involved are negligible.

There's also a system in place for low-skilled immigrants to come to Japan and work in factories, restaurants, and other such jobs. Technically it's kind of a grey zone, but very well-known and exploited in Asian countries. Especially in Nepal, there's a very good chance that any Nepali will be in Japan due to this system, and even if they have a proper visa they'll all know about it.
The system seems less nuts than the US, and I wouldn't say the government is anti immigrant, but I don't think there's enough public support for immigration -- that is, people coming specifically with the intention of residing permanently in Japan -- for the government to adopt policies that will actually encourage it.

Abe literally had to reassure people a year or so ago that his proposed plans for encouraging foreign workers to come to Japan weren't aimed at encouraging (permanent) immigration, and despite talking about these plans being part of his overall approach to revitalizing the economy, he has made changes that are so small as to be negligible.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Old man yells at people for calling him out over not doing his job. Possibly the most Japan thing ever:

https://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/minister-yells-at-press-after-he-criticizes-remaining-fukushima-evacuees posted:

Japan’s disaster reconstruction minister said Tuesday displaced people yet to return to areas of Fukushima Prefecture deemed safe to live in are “responsible for themselves,” before snapping at the reporter whose question prompted the remark.

Masahiro Imamura made the comment at a press conference explaining the government’s efforts for the reconstruction of areas hit by the March 2011 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster.

Housing subsidies ran out last month for those who had left areas other than government-designated zones around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

Citing a court decision last month that the central government and the plant’s operator were liable in the nuclear disaster in the first ruling of its kind since the crisis, a reporter asked what the state is doing to help the “voluntary evacuees.”

Imamura responded that the central government has delegated such matters to prefectural authorities, which are more knowledgeable about local conditions.

“It’s their own responsibility, their own choice,” he said when pressed further, pointing out that other evacuees have managed to go back to the areas.

The reporter said some of those still displaced have found themselves unable to return, and asked whether the state should take more responsibility for looking after those people.

“We are taking responsibility. Why are you saying something so rude?” Imamura shouted, slamming his podium.

Pointing a finger at the reporter, he then yelled, “Take that back! Get out of here!”

“You’re the one who’s causing problems for the evacuees,” someone called out as Imamura walked away from the podium, to which the minister responded “Shut up!” before leaving the room.

“The minister has informed me that he became emotional and was unable to remain calm for part of today’s press conference,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said during a subsequent press conference.

Suga, the government’s top spokesman, said the matter is one for Imamura himself to “handle appropriately.”

The disaster reconstruction minister apologized later Tuesday, telling reporters he had “become emotional.”

Imamura, 70, was installed in his post in a Cabinet reshuffle in August last year.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Stringent posted:

Old man yells at people for calling him out over not doing his job. Possibly the most Japan thing ever:

Lol I love how Suga is the cleanup man for literally everything

Speaking of which, who the hell is in the wings after Abe leaves? Inada? Aso again? I know Japanese politics is Byzantine and bizarre and this is way down the road but I literally cannot think of who takes over LDP after Abe finally retires/plays shadow PM

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ron Darling posted:

Lol I love how Suga is the cleanup man for literally everything

Speaking of which, who the hell is in the wings after Abe leaves? Inada? Aso again? I know Japanese politics is Byzantine and bizarre and this is way down the road but I literally cannot think of who takes over LDP after Abe finally retires/plays shadow PM

Some of the Japan watchers I follow on twitter have said it basically looks like Kishida, the foreign minister

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I can't stop recommending the Lying with Stats book (http://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/385089/volume1/) -
Just read a section where the author talks about a Japanese study that seemed to find that older women that live on higher floors of apartments are more prone to miscarriages than those living on lower floors

(x-axis: floors, y-axis: % have experienced miscarriages)

There's a bunch of arguments he makes against it but mostly sample size; the 67% for 10+ floors came from 4 women out of 6 in the bucket.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but if you're gonna have kids, have them by the time you're 30 anyway. Any later and you're just adding a ton of risks.

Plus, do you really want to deal with 20 year old brats when you're 60? lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
To compliment that really stupid post, here's a really stupid article!

http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170405/p2a/00m/0na/012000c posted:

Bakeries across Japan are furious after a textbook publisher changed "a bakery" that appears in an elementary school ethics textbook to "a Japanese-style wagashi confectioner" in response to suggestions the education ministry made in light of the "respect for tradition and culture" requirement under a curriculum for ethics classes, which is scheduled to be upgraded to an official elementary school subject in the 2018 academic year.

This news went viral online after it was reported on March 24, with netizens commenting, "Are bakeries unpatriotic?" and "I thought it was fake news."

The change was made in a story titled, "Nichiyobi no Sanpomichi" (Sunday promenade), included in a textbook for first-grade students made by publisher Tokyo Shoseki Co. Kenta, the protagonist who often takes walks with his grandfather, strolls around his hometown taking different paths from his usual routes and discovers wonders in his local area. A bakery also appears along the way.

However, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology suggested after the textbook screening that the story as a whole was "inappropriate" in the context of the curriculum guidelines, which require schools to provide children with classes where they can learn to respect Japan's traditions and culture and develop attitudes to love their country and hometowns.

An official from the education ministry points out that the contents of the story "would not make children think about the meaning of becoming familiar with Japan's culture and livelihoods in the country and developing affection for such elements."

After the education ministry gave its view of the story, Tokyo Shoseki changed the bakery to a confectioner that sells traditional Japanese sweets. An official from the publisher in charge of the matter said at the time of the announcement for the screening result that they felt the need to ensure that the ministry's guidelines are reflected. The publisher, however, declined to comment on processes regarding its decision to change the contents and its opinion about the matter.

Ethics learning was introduced to elementary and junior high schools in 1958. Unlike math and Japanese classes, it has been labeled as an "extracurricular activity," in which supplementary books not subject to the ministry screenings and teachers' original materials are used. Tokyo Shoseki included the story in question in its ethics supplementary book in 2000, and the bakery has appeared in the story ever since.

"It's like we're told that bakeries are unfit for Japanese culture. I feel offended," said Junichi Nakamine, an executive director of the Japan Baking Industry Association comprised of 21 major bread manufacturers. "Baker and patissier rank high among professions that elementary school girls want to become when they grow up. I wonder how the textbook reflects on such feelings by children."

Takao Nishikawa, the chairman of the national bread manufacturer cooperative made up of mid- and small-bakeries, laments the textbook change, saying, "It's almost like we were told that bread is inappropriate to illustrate love for one's hometown. Bread has been around in Japan as long as western clothing."

Nishikawa owns bread maker Nishikawa Foods based in the Hyogo Prefecture city of Kakogawa. His company, in cooperation with other businesses, distributed bread free of charge after the 1995 Great Hanshin Earthquake to disaster victims. He prides himself as a person with a strong sense of affection for his hometown and region.

"There are some 1,500 bread makers involved in school lunch programs. While it is of course a business, we put our efforts into making bread and delivering it to schools," Nishikawa told the Mainichi Shimbun. "I would not be surprised if some companies say they wouldn't want to make bread for schools anymore."

Meanwhile, wagashi confectioners have been put in an awkward position. While Mitsuo Yabu, an executive director of the Japan Wagashi Association, says he is happy that wagashi, which assumes an important role in traditional Japanese cuisine, will be introduced to children in classes, "It's not about wagashi is better than bread, or vice versa."

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It's not about wagashi being better than bread because wagashi is, in fact, not as good as bread.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Some of the Japan watchers I follow on twitter have said it basically looks like Kishida, the foreign minister

That would probably make the most sense

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
any anime made about the current administration

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

any anime made about the current administration

Unsurprisingly I believe so

I know there's some manga about Barron for whatever bizarre reason (Japan)

Also the Israeli Embassy of Japan made a series of anime videos to entice Japanese tourism there. It's... something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFT22S9euEI

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

Just don't tell the UN that (or Japan, for that matter)!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

lol http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...reign-tourists/

quote:

Kozo Yamamoto, the regional revitalization minister, apologized Monday for his remark the previous day in which he called museum curators “the biggest cancer,” saying they are not doing enough to make foreign tourists understand the nation’s cultural assets.

“It was not appropriate. I am reflecting on my remarks and I will retract them and offer my apologies,” Yamamoto told reporters in Tokyo. He denied that he will resign over the gaffe.

In a question-and-answer time following a lecture at an Otsu hotel on Sunday, Yamamoto, a Liberal Democratic Party member from Fukuoka Prefecture serving his seventh term in the Lower House, stressed the importance of tourism for the nation’s economy.

“Of all forms of tourism, the one that lets visitors understand the culture and history has the longest-lasting effects,” he said. “What’s most important is whether we can explain our cultural assets properly.”

Then he went on to attack museum curators, who he said are not doing a good enough job to present the country’s assets to tourists.

He added that the curators need to be “eradicated” as they “are the biggest cancer” and “they lack the normal tourism mindset.”

He also cited the example of the British Museum in London, which he argued succeeded in drawing in tourists by “dismissing” curators.

On Monday, Yamamoto said he wanted to stress the need for curators to have a tourism mindset.

Curators, called gakugei-in in Japanese, are specialists certified by the government under the Museum Law. They collect, preserve and exhibit materials related to history, art, folk culture, industry and natural sciences to educate the public. As of 2011, there were about 7,300 curators here, according to the education ministry.

As a an aside, the failure of the opposition to take advantage of the LDP's high incidence of foot-in-mouth disease really goes accentuate how pathetic of an opposition it is.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That's the weirdest poo poo I've heard all day and I listened to a lecture about how important it is to properly greet people.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Only a week or two ago, there was another similar gaffe by a minister, too:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...rst-journalist/

quote:

Masahiro Imamura, minister in charge of reconstructing the disaster-hit Tohoku region, apologized Tuesday for raising his voice to a freelance journalist at a news conference over demanding questions on the government’s support for Fukushima evacuees.
[...]
Masahiro Imamura said that the central government is no longer responsible for those people from areas not under evacuation orders at the news conference on April 4.

When a journalist pressed Imamura on the issue, the minister snapped at him saying, “You are rude and should never come to another news conference,” before pounding a desk, shouting “Shut up!” and abruptly leaving the Q&A session.
While Imamura's inappropriate response to the journalist is what made this particularly news worthy, I think many people are more concerned about the original attitude being expressed that led to the question: that people who have left the disaster area without being order to are simply choosing to do so and therefore don't deserve assistance.

This comes on the heels of a study revealing that, "More than 60 percent of current or former evacuees from the Fukushima nuclear crisis said they were victims of bullying or discrimination in areas they evacuated to or witnessed or heard of such incidents." ([a]http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201702260027.html[/a])

I have also heard concerns that people who have allegedly returned to the disaster area are simply commuting back there on weekends for reasons relating to government assistance or something because even ignoring the fact that there's no actual reason to think that the fukushima situation is actually over or in the process of getting better, it's not actually possible to live in that area now with such a huge percentage of the population gone.

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 17, 2017

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Mr. Fix It posted:

lol http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...reign-tourists/

As a an aside, the failure of the opposition to take advantage of the LDP's high incidence of foot-in-mouth disease really goes accentuate how pathetic of an opposition it is.

Are you kidding me

The fact is you're right, the LDP can get away with a lot more poo poo because this is effectively a one party country. If there were any sort of effective opposition, he would have resigned already

Jesus. What's it going to take for the opposition to put up more than a token fight every election?

mystes
May 31, 2006

According to an FNN poll (link in Japanese), 52.9% of Japanese people are in favor of amending the constitution, and of these 56.3% are in favor of amending Article 9.

This still means that the total number of people in favor of changing Article 9 is low (around 30%), but the percentage in favor of amending the constitution in general is much higher than what it was a year ago (45.5%) (they just added the Article 9 question so it's not possible to compare that with last year). It's possible this is partly because the way the Abe administration went about trying to change the constitution before made almost everyone angry, but as time has passed people's concerns based on that have diminished.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 18, 2017

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mystes posted:

According to an FNN poll (link in Japanese), 52.9% of Japanese people are in favor of amending the constitution, and of these 56.3% are in favor of amending Article 9.

This still means that the total number of people in favor of changing Article 9 is low (around 30%), but the percentage in favor of amending the constitution in general is much higher than what it was a year ago (45.5%) (they just added the Article 9 question so it's not possible to compare that with last year). It's possible this is partly because the way the Abe administration went about trying to change the constitution before made almost everyone angry, but as time has passed people's concerns based on that have diminished.

I'd imagine it would also be due to anxiety over the way poo poo's going at the moment, especially with two fuckheads with lovely haircuts and a tendency to throw their toys out of the cot on a regular basis hanging about.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Polling by Japanese media tends to be pretty lovely. If you look at the polling setup this time round, they lead the question about the constitution with a bunch of questions equivalent to 'man, it's scary what NK is doing amirite?' so not surprised if that's skewed people's responses.

mystes
May 31, 2006

shrike82 posted:

Polling by Japanese media tends to be pretty lovely. If you look at the polling setup this time round, they lead the question about the constitution with a bunch of questions equivalent to 'man, it's scary what NK is doing amirite?' so not surprised if that's skewed people's responses.
Yeah that's true. The North Korea question is pretty dumb too, since obviously most people are going to say they feel threatened, but since they have nothing to compare it to it's not even clear whether people are more concerned then usual either. The US seems to have just remembered that North Korea exists and is busy freaking out, but there must be some degree of alarm fatigue in Japan so I'm a bit curious how much more worried people actually are.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/04/25/national/politics-diplomacy/gaffe-prone-tohoku-reconstruction-minister-strikes/#.WQINKdy1u9I

quote:

During a party held Tuesday in Tokyo, Imamura said “it was rather good” that the 2011 tsunami-quake disaster hit the Tohoku region and “not somewhere near the Tokyo area,” because it would have caused an “enormous amount of (financial) damage” to the country. Public broadcaster NHK aired a video clip of the remark.

Just can't stop putting a foot in a mouth

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So uh, lots of royal news

Cabinet greenlights Emperor Akihito's abdication

Japanese Princess Mako set to become a commoner

Did a bit of research on Imperial Law and the royal family because of all this. Interesting stuff. Kinda feel bad for Princess Masako.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...s/#.WSKSw7hBDgx

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 22, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would like to offer my support to Emperor Naruto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

How exactly is the commoner/royal/other? Distinction defined in Japanese law and custom? Like are there noble families a princess can marry into to retain her royal status or is becoming a commoner inevitable for all female members of the Imperial family?