Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Truga posted:

hot take: who gives a poo poo about 200 or 300 megs per second random access to 4k sized files? That's still thousands of files per second, you're not going to notice a difference in any real world scenario ever.

SSDs have been getting faster every year, but it's made zero difference after the first year or so, because their main advantage over older disks isn't the raw speed, but the lack of seek time.

its 200-300 megs out of what 2000 because nvme drives are insane on speed right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yea, it's not so noticeable for me but system boot is faster noticeably. And I do copy a lot of fairly big files around, at which NVME absolutely flies at.

a lot of programs won't load noticeably faster as they're compressed. maybe cos of low queue depths.?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 2, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

A lot of programs won't load noticeably faster as they're compressed.

Do you mean that the executable is compressed? Could you give an example of a major program that does this?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

hot take: who gives a poo poo about 200 or 300 megs per second random access to 4k sized files? That's still thousands of files per second, you're not going to notice a difference in any real world scenario ever.

Anyone who'd be buying an NVMe drive for a desktop in the first place? On laptops sure its sometimes the only form of storage available. But if you're buying any of the current systems that use a Ryzen CPU, it's a normal size desktop that also has SATA ports where you can buy cheaper drives that move data slower over the SATA connection if you didn't care about the speeds.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Truga posted:

hot take: who gives a poo poo about 200 or 300 megs per second random access to 4k sized files?

people looking at zen servers, if the NMVe results also extend to other PCIe ssd devices.

desktop users, not so much if this only applies to the 4kb result and larger IOs are even with intel.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So even if general IOs are chunkier than 4KB, mix in fragmentation, and there's potential of it being split up in more actual IOs. NTFS cluster size is 4KB.
I'm pretty sure SSDs don't work like that though. fragmentation into clusters is a spinning disk thing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean that the executable is compressed? Could you give an example of a major program that does this?

Reading more, I could be absolutely wrong about that being a general thing :v: sorry. But app loads are often not much faster, I guess cos the read speeds advertised are at high queue depths?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

I'm pretty sure SSDs don't work like that though. fragmentation into clusters is a spinning disk thing.

Fragmentation is a filesystem characteristic. Drives deal in (virtual) regions, not files. Fragmentation isn't as much of a problem with SSDs, which is why defrag generally isn't worth the cost in drive wear, but loading a contiguous megabyte will be faster than if it's split over 250 4K pieces.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
All the files are 100% "fragmented" all the time on every decent SSD due to internal wear balancing shenanigans I thought?

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 2, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Truga posted:

All the files are 100% "fragmented" all the time on every decent SSD due to internal wear balancing shenanigans.
Internal block size of SSDs is like 2MB or whatever. At least for the latest Samsungs.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Truga posted:

All the files are 100% "fragmented" all the time on every decent SSD due to internal wear balancing shenanigans. I don't buy it.

Not an expert on this by any means, but I think you're confusing two levels of fragmentation. SSDs have no issue with internally fragmented data, as you said, but there's another layer of fragmentation, at the OS/filesystem layer where reading one chunk of data can be represented either as one request of "give me this 1 MB contiguous block" or 1000 requests of "give me this 1 KB block"

That fragmentation can be detrimental to performance as there is overheard involved with creating, transmitting and servicing such requests, I imagine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Reading say 1MB will always end up being 256 requests at 4KB regardless. The problem is when the data is scattered all over the place.

As I've just mentioned, the internal block size is rather large. If all these requests happen to be located on a single of these 2MB slabs (say a sequental read or winning the block allocation lottery), it'll get read into RAM once and the SSD can service all the requests cached. If a lot of these 256 blocks are all over the place, it has to keep reading 2MB slabs to get all the data. The absolute worst case is that it'd need to read 512MB of data from the NAND to service that 1MB request from the app (256 requests of 2MB internal slabs).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking about the filesystem. Yeah that'll be slower if it's fragmented.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

redeyes posted:

4k Q1 is where nearly all home systems sit in terms of i/o load. ATTO on their benchmark indicated half the sustained reads that Intel gets.

No, not really. Typical IO size for a desktop is going to float around 24-32kb/op. If you break down the throughput test on crystalmark to ops you'll see the AMD chipset is pulling 16k read and 51k write which is exceeding the specs for samsung SSD they're using. Intel is probably doing some kind of ram buffering/caching to get those numbers, which is concerning since it increases the risk of data loss. And that is magnitudes more IO performance than most home users will ever need, the impact in any real world use case is going to be minimal. Maybe if you're running a large SAP dev instance on your home computer you should think about it but for everyone else: doesn't matter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That buffering thing would only be valid for someone using the Intel RST drivers. If you're running MSAHCI, for all intents and purposes, the Intel just sees the OS communicating to something via PCIe.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

RST buffers to another block device, so that doesn't make sense here. It's something in the driver and using some kind of ram cache or write combining scheme seems most likely. You don't just magic 50% over the OEM's write OP spec out of nowhere.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
RST (Rapid Storage Technology) buffers in RAM. SRT (Smart Response Technology) caches to an SSD up to 64GB.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Supposedly a BIOS update for MSI motherboards fixes performance in Rise of the Tomb Raider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX_WEvEzR64

Now RedGamingTech does a lot of rumour videos, and is fairly new to this benchmarking thing as far as I can tell, so take it with a grain of salt.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a video that explains the difference in approach between AMD and nVidias DX11 drivers, and explains how that results in worse performance for nVidia on Ryzen in some games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoZB-cnjc0

Basically this is a more in depth look at what AdoredTV found in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I haven't seen this linked yet, a video purporting to be an R5 1400 vs a 7400 http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/104167-early-amd-ryzen-5-1400-review-comparison-leaks/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In case you thought that we *weren't* headed towards our chips being assembled piecemeal going forward:

http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-g-hbm2-gpu-multi-die/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well... Ain't that something.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is AMD's new APU going to be full Zen, a single CCX, with HBM? Does it have SMT?

E- yea looks that way. Wonder what the HBM will do for min framerates with discrete cards.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 4, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
probably close to what crystalwell did

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

probably close to what crystalwell did

It could be a really great chip for min frames. As Zen loves memory bandwidth it'll be interesting to see.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Gigabyte has some beta bios if you are are adventurous, some users have bricked their boards testing (probably amateurs, they are all dual bios)

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/886/am4-beta-bios-thread

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In case you thought that we *weren't* headed towards our chips being assembled piecemeal going forward:

http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-g-hbm2-gpu-multi-die/
I'm going to chortle heartily if they use mini-vega for this

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
NUC sized boxes actually capable of playing games? YES PLEASE.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm going to chortle heartily if they use mini-vega for this

this at least opens up the option for them to do so.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Seamonster posted:

NUC sized boxes actually capable of playing games? YES PLEASE.

Laptops with real good battery life also.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
My motherboard finally arrived, everything is working. I'm experiencing none of the issues that I had with my old motherboard so it's making me feel justified in upgrading.

I haven't had the time to do any real fun testing, and I'm too tired to. I'm just happy I didn't break the cpu via thermal paste or pin bending. It's my first time seeing pins and not LGA so that was interesting.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 5, 2017

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Early R5 1600 review, albeit in Spanish.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Have we found out what they're using that THREADRIPPER trademark for yet?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Toalpaz posted:

It's my first time seeing pins and not LGA so that was interesting.

Way to make me feel ancient

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's been ages since I've taken a heatsink off and it conveniently pulls the chip out the socket as well. Good times.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

Hopefully it's the new opteron

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i thought that was smt

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I thought it was just to keep people from writing Victorian AU bodice-ripper fanfic involving AMD faces.

....no? Just me?

*discreetly closes notepad*

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ohh.. Lisa, Raj, I didn't expect to see you in my salon at such a late hour, I'll call you a carriage home.

>No, Lady Cinebench, we came for you. We heard your nT benchmarks needed a little massaging

My... My... My points are so large! You have so many cores! And your threads... OH MY GOD YOUR THREADS ARE RIPPING ME APART

We're lucky they didn't also trademark ScoreVore™ to describe whatever magic technology they're using for their next big thing. Or maybe unlucky. Who knows.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

i really hope they use it for the consumer opteron :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Can somebody help me with something some guy on another forum is saying about single/dual rank memory with Ryzen?

I've got a machine on order and the supplier is waiting for his supplier to deliver a bunch of 350M boards before dispatching my order all together instead of piecewise. My system is set to be Ryzen 1700/ MSI B350M Gaming Pro mobo / 2x16GB 3200Mhz DDR4, one stick of ram for each slot for 32GB of hotness.

The guy is recommending that:

quote:

If you still want to buy a Ryzen 7 CPU for CFD here is a hint: use dual-rank DIMMs. You will not be able to get the same memory frequencies as you would with single-rank DIMMs. But as benchmarks have shown, Ryzen 7 performs better in memory-intensive applications (7-zip for example) with DDR4-2666 dual-rank than it does with DDR4-3200 single-rank and identical memory timings.

Which is what I've already got, right? He doesnt provide a link to this benchmark, but from my own digging around I found this:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-single-rank-versus-dual-rank-ddr4-memory-performance_192960/5

Which says to me that my future setup is A-Ok.

Have I got that right? OR I have missed something pretty fundamental?

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 5, 2017

• Locked thread