Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Attorney at Funk posted:

That, and they've made some high-profile mistakes with where to put powerful reprints in recent years - between Thoughtseize/Mutavault and the fetches with BFZ duals I think they're feeling pretty burnt on the whole endeavor. And now we get Masterpieces instead.

Thoughtsieze wasn't the mistake, packrat was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Thundermaw Hellkite is the strongest card from RTR standard that I could imagine getting another run in the future. Sphinx's Rev, Thragtusk, Resto Angel, Boros Reckoner, Lingering Souls are all done forever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't think Boros Reckoner was ever really overpowered in standard.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I could see them reprinting, like... Loxodon Smiter.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

That's such a weird random thing to add to the ability. I guess if you don't draw a land, you can bounce and replay a tapped land to get an extra mana for the turn. And you can bounce cycling lands to pitch if you're really flooded.

It puts you at +2 cards in hand to make it easier to attack. I assume that's the reasoning behind it.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

I could see them reprinting, like... Loxodon Smiter.

They just did, except its a cat snake instead of an elephant

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The mini-synergy it has with the Bicycle lands is kind of cool. I still think it is only good out of the board for control mirrors.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I could easily see a Restoration Angel reprint in the future, though?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
They wouldn't print an instant flicker effect attached to a creature in standard, that has too much potential for infinite combos.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

I hear the opposite, that it's 'return a land, you may draw a card'

Any japanese speakers about?

The may is attached to the return a land part

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Rinkles posted:

This doesn't seem like Rare grade material, but apparently:

Prepared: Untap target creature. It gets +2/+2 and Life link until end of turn.

Fight: Target creature you controls fights target creature an opponent controls.

Couple of pages late, but I'm pretty sure this is rare due to exert. Getting your exerted creature back at instant speed w/lifelink and beefier seems super good.

If exert wasn't a thing the card would be significantly worse. Guess we'll see when more exert creatures get revealed.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I actually wish Drake Haven were an uncommon that they could power down by making it 3U and/or pump out 1/1 flying thopters, just so there's a higher chance to see one in limited. Build-around enchantments are what make limited so fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope there are a shitload of one mana cyclers in this set but I'm not optimistic, I think they're going to have at least a cycle of them though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The all-caps STAPpa on Italian cards will never stop looking like an Alpha-era printing error to me.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Entropic posted:

The all-caps STAPpa on Italian cards will never stop looking like an Alpha-era printing error to me.

Why can't/don't they use the tap symbol in italian?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

It's a funny byproduct of the language and its slang--the 's' is used like a prefix on words to denote an opposite--so instead of saying "che fortuna!" to say "what (good) luck!", you could add the 's' and say "che sfortuna!" which means "what (bad/poo poo) luck!"

It gets hilarious when you consider that "figa" is northen Italian slang for "pussy," and that instead of saying "che sfortuna" to mean bad luck, they say "che sfiga" instead

SoftNum posted:

Why can't/don't they use the tap symbol in italian?

They do, but "tap" isn't a word in Italian and STAPpare refers to untapping.

e: so they make up the word--TAPpare (infinitive form)--then also use the common reversal suffix to invent the opposite--STAPpare (to untap). In this case, the card says "UNTAP target creature," which wouldn't use the symbol

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 4, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Is using all caps for invented words a thing in Italian?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

dragon enthusiast posted:

Is using all caps for invented words a thing in Italian?

Not really. It's done in this case to make it clear that it's a game-specific term. "Stappare" is already a verb in Italian and generally means unblocking/uncorking

e: By extension "tappare" means to block/cork something, but the word as used doesn't make sense for Magic. But the desire to keep similar terms means having to jump through some odd hoops during the localization process to keep some word similar to "tap"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

According to Rosewater there are no black embalm creatures. Focused on UW but present in all others except B.

Amonkhet flavor aside, to me it's the most black mechanic ever. Strange.

This is one of the original reanimation spells:

White is secondary in reanimating creatures, but the flavor in it is usually an act of holiness and healing rather than summoning a horde of undead to do your bidding (Unburial Rites uses white in its flashback cost, but the card's black and there are clearly ulterior motives in it). In Amonkhet, I would say that embalming creatures is about preservation.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

White is secondary in reanimating creatures, but the flavor in it is usually an act of holiness and healing rather than summoning a horde of undead to do your bidding (Unburial Rites uses white in its flashback cost, but the card's black and there are clearly ulterior motives in it). In Amonkhet, I would say that embalming creatures is about preservation.

When you resurrect for all of the wrong reasons. "But I brought you back from the dead, I'm a nice guy!?"

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

DangerDongs posted:

When you resurrect for all of the wrong reasons. "But I brought you back from the dead, I'm a nice guy!?"

When was the last time we had a white reanimation spell? Defy Death is the last that springs to my mind. I guess we had rally the ancestors, but that wasn't a specific target.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

When was the last time we had a white reanimation spell? Defy Death is the last that springs to my mind. I guess we had rally the ancestors, but that wasn't a specific target.

Refurbish :v:

These days, white reanimates artifacts, enchantments, and small creatures generally to separate it from black resurrection.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

straight up creature reanimation only? the last one was Bruna.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

....Refurbish?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

YggdrasilTM posted:

Ah, yeah. I knew I was forgetting something. She's still super specific, but that makes sense as you're really only looking for one target with her :v:

Elyv posted:

Refurbish :v:

These days, white reanimates artifacts, enchantments, and small creatures generally to separate it from black resurrection.

Yeah, I wasn't counting enchantment or artifact return as we've had a fair amount of that. I was more thinking along the lines of resurrection/breath of life where you can nab a specific creature from the graveyard.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

I love the backgrounds of Dan Frazier's art. Like you cross-sectioned some cool mineral and then painted on it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I love the backgrounds of Dan Frazier's art. Like you cross-sectioned some cool mineral and then painted on it.

It's marble paper.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/black-ink-thai-marbled-mulberry-papers/

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Jesus was black

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jesus was black

Maybe Orzhov...?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Jesus was black

YggdrasilTM posted:

Maybe Orzhov...?

he was antiestablishment, so more like mardu

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

https://twitter.com/TokyoMTG/status/849278145559539713

(the return land is actually a "may" apparently)

I think this is pretty good actually. Would you play an enchantment that is 2U and Activates for 3U to draw a card in your Torrential Gearhulk deck so you basically never waste the mana you're keeping up? I think so.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

I think this is pretty good actually. Would you play an enchantment that is 2U and Activates for 3U to draw a card in your Torrential Gearhulk deck so you basically never waste the mana you're keeping up? I think so.

The format would need to be slowed down drastically for this to be a reasonable card. If you tap out for this with 4 or 5 cards in hand on turn 3 and the opponent just slams Gideon with a creature and a vehicle in play, you're pretty disadvantaged even if you can untap and activate to attack Gideon.

It'll be a pretty good sideboard card for control mirrors until people change their removal suites to be able to answer it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

The format would need to be slowed down drastically for this to be a reasonable card. If you tap out for this with 4 or 5 cards in hand on turn 3 and the opponent just slams Gideon with a creature and a vehicle in play, you're pretty disadvantaged even if you can untap and activate to attack Gideon.

It'll be a pretty good sideboard card for control mirrors until people change their removal suites to be able to answer it.

It does block Gideon pretty good on T5 and going forward though these kind of decks don't want to be picking up their lands... It does also depends on what the rest of the set looks like. Cast Out seems amazing to play with this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Essence Scatter at common. I love it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Not counting the meld Bruna which was only angels and humans, Defy Death doesn't have any restrictions and gave you a bonus for getting an angel.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bugsy posted:

Not counting the meld Bruna which was only angels and humans, Defy Death doesn't have any restrictions and gave you a bonus for getting an angel.

Also Return to the Ranks. Target X creatures with cmc 2 or less.

edit: whoops. You said "doesn't have any restriction".

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

mcmagic posted:

It does block Gideon pretty good on T5 and going forward though these kind of decks don't want to be picking up their lands... It does also depends on what the rest of the set looks like. Cast Out seems amazing to play with this.

I haven't been playing standard lately, how are you getting to 7 cards in hand on T5 and not just dying on board?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

muon posted:

I haven't been playing standard lately, how are you getting to 7 cards in hand on T5 and not just dying on board?

You're casting this on T3 and Glimmer of Genius on T4 or Activating this and picking up a land... The card is definitely slow but it's too early to say what the format will look like.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

muon posted:

WotC please print bouncelands at common with basic land types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk what's going on behind the scenes at Wizards, but both the design and development articles talk a whole lot about revolving door stuff with multiple staff getting yanked off Amonkhet for... some unspecified reason

• Locked thread