Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Dryzen posted:

I'm gonna mute this thread and turn off all the posters

System message: You do not have a high enough Intelligence rating to ignore the posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

System message: You do not have a high enough Intelligence rating to ignore the posters.

This is me

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

Sojiro saying that he doesn't like to have men's numbers in his phone is maybe one of the most revealing bits of a character I've seen

like oh, okay old dude I see your game instantly

His game is to be a single dad with the freshest game on the block, step off bitch

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
edit: wrong thread

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Man, this game really does start fast compared to most JRPGs.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Mild spoilers for end of first dungeon:

Do I need to run the whole dungeon over again from the beginning after sending the calling card or is there a way to continue from the last safe room?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ann, Ryuji, Morgana, and Protag theme and avatar packs are up on PSN in NA. $1.99 each for a dynamic theme plus 3 avatars. Weirdly enough, I found only the Ann one in the Themes section of Add-Ons but the other three were on the game's page in an Avatars section.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Man, this game really does start fast compared to most JRPGs.

I'm 8 hours in and only just got free access to the first dungeon, so kind of the opposite of this for me.

That's not a knock because you know what you're in for with Persona. It's faster than 4 though, that's for sure. (What isn't?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm 8 hours in and only just got free access to the first dungeon, so kind of the opposite of this for me.

That's not a knock because you know what you're in for with Persona. It's faster than 4 though, that's for sure. (What isn't?)

I think it's a bit slower than P4 but better paced in that you're getting multiple tastes of dungeon stuff rather than backending it so heavily.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HellOnEarth posted:

Mild spoilers for end of first dungeon:

Do I need to run the whole dungeon over again from the beginning after sending the calling card or is there a way to continue from the last safe room?

Access your map from the dungeon entrance you can just teleport to the last safe room

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Where's the good social link guide to optimize my 100 hours

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The plot gets going slightly faster, but I'm pretty sure it took less time to unlock wandering around the map in P4.

It's kinda funny how the intro up to the end of the first dungeon is longer than some entire games, though. (Including a few RPGs.)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Captain Baal posted:

His game is to be a single dad with the freshest game on the block, step off bitch
i aint knocking his steeze, im just saying i understood his Thing instantly

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Yo how do I take this game out of the steelbook without breaking the disc

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Yo press in the middle and pull

If the game breaks then you get to sue Atlus a win/win

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Got it, thanks

I can't wait to steal some hearts

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

i had this same problem

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Clearly Atlus needed to make a steel book disc removing video more than they need a loving putting on a controller skin video

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
Loving the game so far though not a huge fan of the Calling Card mechanic. I went in to the Meteverse loaded up and expecting a showdown only get told we have to send a card first dropped out of frigging nowhere. Then I lose another entire day while the characters sit around to say "Yes, we will indeed send a card!" and finally go back (consuming yet another day) to finish the job the next day.

I guess I can see why they did it to squeeze a few more plot moments in to the mix but the wasting of time angers the inner OCD child in me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you expect more from an Atlus translation if you're not looking at them with nostalgic beer goggles then.

This is how Atlus translations are. They do have some well-localized and enjoyable lines but they have their share of awkwardness. Most translations do unless they go full-on in rewriting everything and sometimes even that is unavoidable when it gets into weird intentional ambiguous dialogue or metaphysical bullshit. P5 absolutely has areas where it could have been translated better from what I've seen but I can't think of an Atlus translation I don't feel that way about so I'm not sure why it's coming up here.

And if I'm being aggressive it is because I'm genuinely tired of cynical ironyposting or people repeating things they saw online being mistaken as a serious actual criticism which has happened in this thread and others. If you want to discuss problems then fine, but discuss them in the context of the game and not in people rushing to post screenshots that prove Atlus has FAILED unlike their other games which are okay because ???

Dude you wasted no time in getting real drat mad that I said that it felt stiff and awkward. I knew literally nothing about this game going in because I intentionally blackballed myself on all media related to it purely so I could have unbiased impressions and I still thought the translation was (from what I had seen) disappointing. Being all "well what do you expect, this is Atlus, you're dumb for thinking otherwise" isn't a good way to sell people on the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Where do you redeem dlc items?

I got that free healing stuff downloaded and it didn't pop in my items and didn't show up in my room like I guessed it would

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calihan posted:

Loving the game so far though not a huge fan of the Calling Card mechanic. I went in to the Meteverse loaded up and expecting a showdown only get told we have to send a card first dropped out of frigging nowhere. Then I lose another entire day while the characters sit around to say "Yes, we will indeed send a card!" and finally go back (consuming yet another day) to finish the job the next day.

I guess I can see why they did it to squeeze a few more plot moments in to the mix but the wasting of time angers the inner OCD child in me.

It has two purposes really:

It forces the players out to give them a full heal before the boss, which may be a waste of time but better allows them to balance things without encouraging degenerate time-wasters like standing around with SP-regen items equipped.

It's also basically the Phantom Thief thing to send a challenge. It's why you see it so often in various JRPGs and stuff. It's such an iconic part of the concept that it basically has to be done.

Heath posted:

. Being all "well what do you expect, this is Atlus, you're dumb for thinking otherwise" isn't a good way to sell people on the game.

I don't particularly care about selling the game, I don't work for Atlus.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
After you redeem DLC items on the store, you're probably gonna need to restart the game so it can register, and then check the box on the bottom shelf of the shelves you walk into as you enter your room.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Harlock posted:

Where's the good social link guide to optimize my 100 hours
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/835628-persona-5/faqs/74143 is what I'm using.

It's spoiler free and tells you what to do on a day by day basis in one line, while also reminding you that you should have certain Personas of certain Arcanas when trying to level up certain relationships.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Baal posted:

After you redeem DLC items on the store, you're probably gonna need to restart the game so it can register, and then check the box on the bottom shelf of the shelves you walk into as you enter your room.

Gotcha, I'm a idiot and quit out to the main menu then dove back in so that's why.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/835628-persona-5/faqs/74143 is what I'm using.

It's spoiler free and tells you what to do on a day by day basis in one line, while also reminding you that you should have certain Personas of certain Arcanas when trying to level up certain relationships.

Bluhhh, mix/maxing my videogame social life was one thing I didn't miss. How strict is this compared to P3 and P4?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any link to a good social stat guide? I have found a couple that just list activities but I would like to have one that goes into it with a bit of depth.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oxxidation posted:

Bluhhh, mix/maxing my videogame social life was one thing I didn't miss. How strict is this compared to P3 and P4?

If you want 100% of every social link? Extremely strict. If you're fine with 90% or so? Fairly easy. There's some stuff that's NG+ exclusive, too, so there's that as an incentive to not minmax your first run through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Don't bother. You can come extremely close to max without min-maxing and it'll be more fun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's actual massive benefits to doing social links now.

Like, if you want to switch party members during battle, I would highly suggest going to the church whenever you can.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I took a look at that guide and it even recommends savescumming the Proficiency rank-ups so you get 3 every time. That sounds incredibly boring and unfun, I'm glad I'm not worried about getting NG 100% S.Links.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The worst thing about the volleyball teacher as of April 10th is his hair, i loving hate it

also the teacher seems good but i cannot get over her jean skirt. it's a tough look and i go back and forth if she's pulling it off

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just do your one run where you gently caress everything up and then your second guided run where you date all of the girls and then your third run where you date none of the girls and then your fourth final canon run where you only date the one best girl, you know like normal people do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My thing finally came in so I can stop giving people answers to questions now and breeze through this game again

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I swear to god Sojiro is voiced by Jamieson Price

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I swear to god Sojiro is voiced by Jamieson Price

It's almost like I listed this in the OP

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yusuke is voiced by Crispin Freeman and that could fool most people

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

It's almost like I listed this in the OP

drat I'm blind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The SIU Director reminds me way too much of Aramaki from Ghost in the Shell and it weirds me out