Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
making GBS threads on collectathons made sense in 2002 when they were the predominate genre and were all blurring together in mediocrity. Now they're more occasional and riding the "nostalgia wave" is perfectly fine, viable and can have good results.

Arguing that "oh this is an old videogame style" is dumb as hell to me, because that's true of most games and why we have 30 year old franchises. Most "innovative" games get ignored because people like what they like and it's okay.

Personally, after playing a poo poo-ton of rpgs, a fun colorful platformer with unique character designs where I can chill out exploring sounds fun as hell, especially with a new Grant Kirkhope soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
persona 5...

it's good...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like a lot of the times when people "progress" game mechanics and game genres they're just making a totally different type of game, and it only seems like improvement because it's new. Like what happened with AAA first person shooters over time.

Like yeah you can totally point to the influences of Castlevania and Metroid in Souls games, but saying that the Souls games or Arkham Asylum are "Metroid for the modern age" seems like nonsense to me. Metroid for the modern age is AM2R.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

KingSlime posted:

Maybe. but I'm of the opinion that any genre can be "modernized." The genre was in fashion for a time for a reason, people clearly enjoy the basic gameplay loop. If it feels dated, it means developers didn't properly bring the genre "forward" via innovations, improved level design, better mechanics, etc.

Course I'm no game designer so

Can be modernized, but shouldn't have to be. Like the modern aspects of Shovel Knight are welcome additions but aren't really part of the core gameplay. If you're reviving an old style then the pressure is on the developer to make it fun enough that it overrides any sense of being stale or rehashed but otherwise can still be the same style.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KingSlime posted:

You know, I need to get around to playing those

They have been on my list for years

they are great. they are basically darker(but not lovely dark) version of the diniverse. origins is a bit of a mess as is knight, but asylum and city are great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

it frightens me that there's people out there looking at that mass effect patch notes list who will say with a straight face that mass effect andromeda was a complete and good game from the second it launched

i'm sorry i scare u but it is a good game indeed though i am happy it will be getting better

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, Psychonauts didn't block anything integral begind it's collectables, they rewarded you with added narrative and backstory, what the hell.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Lobok posted:

Can be modernized, but shouldn't have to be. Like the modern aspects of Shovel Knight are welcome additions but aren't really part of the core gameplay. If you're reviving an old style then the pressure is on the developer to make it fun enough that it overrides any sense of being stale or rehashed but otherwise can still be the same style.

True, "modernized" doesn't have to involve adding additional, superflous stuff.

Maybe Yooka Layle suffers from bad level design and/or uninteresting atmosphere? Because I do think the gameplay loop of "explore big levels and collect stuff" is a fun premise that can be executed in all sorts of great ways

shout out to Toy Story 2 on 64/PS1! they need to make more games where you are tiny

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they are great. they are basically darker(but not lovely dark) version of the diniverse. origins is a bit of a mess as is knight, but asylum and city are great.

I love City but its story is definitely lovely dark.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Combat sucked so bad in the Arkham games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I love City but its story is definitely lovely dark.

i guess it depends what you consider lovely dark. but yeah probably.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Like yeah you can totally point to the influences of Castlevania and Metroid in Souls games, but saying that the Souls games or Arkham Asylum are "Metroid for the modern age" seems like nonsense to me. Metroid for the modern age is AM2R.

I'd say it's proper 3d castlevania more than metroid, it feels exactly like playing Order of Ecclessia or any of the other DS titles to me

"Feels like" is subjective but I stand my ground on this assertion

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not sure about spearheads but right now he's in the same boat of gaseous toads as PDP, H3H3, JonTron, in thinking the LAMESTREM MEDIA has an agenda to RUIN YOUTUBERS

They do though

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This thread: I love Breath of the Wild for bringing back a gameplay style from the 1980'd into my 30 year old franchise, Game of the Year

Also this thread: Woah, a game that's similar to a popular classic from '98 from the same developers? gently caress that, boo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like a lot of the times when people "progress" game mechanics and game genres they're just making a totally different type of game, and it only seems like improvement because it's new. Like what happened with AAA first person shooters over time.

DOOM is an interesting mixed bag because it has the old Doom aesthetics and philosophy, gameplay mechanics new to Doom but old relative to things like Quake or Unreal, undeniably modern gameplay mechanics found in all sorts of genres, and actual innovative mechanics new to everything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

This thread: I love Breath of the Wild for bringing back a gameplay style from the 1980'd into my 30 year old franchise, Game of the Year

Also this thread: Woah, a game that's similar to a popular classic from '98 from the same developers? gently caress that, boo.

lol ok

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I wish the Arkham games actually looked like the Dini shows/comics. I liked Asylum and City but the character designs were just so grotesque to me that they were painful to look at. Seeing the Knight trailer, I was like, "Eh. I think I had my fill"

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Asylum repeated the same terrible boss battle like 10 times. I never understood why they did that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish the Arkham games actually looked like the Dini shows/comics. I liked Asylum and City but the character designs were just so grotesque to me that they were painful to look at. Seeing the Knight trailer, I was like, "Eh. I think I had my fill"

maybe. i like the designes apart from the liefeld syndrome some of the characters have. knight for all its issues works on that part.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Asylum repeated the same terrible boss battle like 10 times. I never understood why they did that.

my guess is they is they ran out of time. or wernt sure what to do. the game went through dev hell for while apparently.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

yes we are all one collective mind and anytime there are contrasting opinions it's clearly due to *goon dissonance*

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Franchescanado posted:

People bitch about collecting things in this one game but they were okay with collecting things in this other game? Umm, hypocrisy much???

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Can someone explain Persona 5 hype to me like i'm an idiot child

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

suuma posted:

Imagine the hype for Duke Nukem Forever, but fewer years inbetween. And Persona 5 turned out to actually be good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

suuma posted:

It is a very visually stylish and distinctive followup to a popular game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Last game good. New game also good, people excite.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I should mention I've never played Persona

e: I looked at like one Persona game once and it was like DDR or something? And I guess 5 is more like a JRPG?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It's obvious they didn't have any idea how to make fun boss battles with the combat system they had, which is heavily geared towards crowd control. Even City struggles with that. I mean the bosses in City aren't quite as bad, but I don't think anyone enjoys any of them as much as fighting just a big group of enemies. Origins set out to fix that and make truly fun boss battles, but only partially succeeded. I don't know how Knight handles it, but I doubt they finally nailed it, especially since most of that game's combat is tank-based.

suuma posted:

A lot of people played Persona 4 when they were in high school and have a warped view of how good it is, so it getting a sequel years later is like when Phantom Menace came out and nerds camped out for weeks to get tickets. P5 got delayed over and over which just made the trembling anticipation that much more intense.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i liked the campain too, i like that it didnt pull any punches at the end and i also liked that you were basicaly fighting a civilization based Terran Federation from starship troopers. a bunch of dead eyed facist dickheads. they litteraly have service guarantees citizen ship posters and the more enemies the more privileges you gain. sure its straight forward, but its interesting.

Yeah, I suppose those death quotes that are like "Freedom has no place in the light of our sun" and "The days of individual happiness are over" might have felt over-the-top and cheesy even just a year ago. But like with the Sterling thing discussed above nowadays I can't muster any irony towards them and they just felt chilling

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

suuma posted:

I should mention I've never played Persona

e: I looked at like one Persona game once and it was like DDR or something? And I guess 5 is more like a JRPG?

P3 and 4 were the dev's breakout titles so there are a bunch of dumb spinoffs

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

suuma posted:

jrpg with elemental turn based summon-based collect-a-demon combat that takes place in a big tokyo city, you dive into people's subconscious to "fix" their broken brains, also you do real-world highschool poo poo with your 8 friends to form bonds and therefore improve combat poo poo/story stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Titan bosses were meh but I'd take 100 of those over the lovely Poison Ivy fight, ugh.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Palpek posted:

I played as male Shepard.

My male shep was bald and had a scar that took up nearly 25% of his face and some intense fugly everywhere and paragonned everything. He was basically Sloth getting it on with the ladies. It was a good time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

My male shep was bald and had a scar that took up nearly 25% of his face and some intense fugly everywhere and paragonned everything. He was basically Sloth getting it on with the ladies. It was a good time.

It'd be nice if they actually made a video game where people are like "Nah I don't want to gently caress you, you're ugly" to the main character. That's like the number one reason people don't get hosed in real life, but it never seems to come up in video games with romance stuff.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

suuma posted:

Are you a westerner who wants to be Japanese high school student? Did you ever want to secretly be like a total hero who kills demons and saves the world with your badass friends while also having to maintain friendships through mundane slice-of-life activities? Did you ever want to have an anthropomorphized animal friend?

If 2 of these 3 things, Persona might be a series you like.

Lurdiak posted:

It'd be nice if they actually made a video game where people are like "Nah I don't want to gently caress you, you're ugly" to the main character. That's like the number one reason people don't get hosed in real life, but it never seems to come up in video games with romance stuff.

I am 100% certain there are CRPG's where you can pick "ugly" as a trait that trashes your charisma but I can't remember any off the top of my head. In real life, ugly people get laid though, just not by asari supermodels.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Here's my hot take on Yooka-Laylee, a game I have no interest in: It is rightfully being compared to 3D platformer/collectathons from the PSX and 64 era but we live in a generation where a new age of children would eat that thing up. It's easy to lambast the game because it's too similar to things from a 20-something or 30-something year old's childhood, but kids who are 8 today would probably love to have a game that's colorful and not too challenging. Parents who have an XBox One for Call of Duty or Final Fantasy now have something to put under the tree for their kids at Christmas, or for their birthday. I haven't done a lot of research but I bet that there's not a strong market for big budget games that are designed for younger audiences. So every review I hear mentioned makes me wonder who the audience of that review is. People like the reviewer, who grew up with a Nintendo 64, or kids who have to settle with indie titles? Can Jim Sterling get into the mind of a pre-teen and deduce whether their Minecraft-addled mind would really think there are too many mini-games? Similarly, I think it's tricky to grade something like Nier: Automata and Yooka-Laylee on the same rubric. Is a game designed for children going to be penalized for not having engaging combat mechanics, or for having stages that reward exploration with little trinkets to inflate playtime? When you have to beg your parents to buy you a game and can't just pay for it yourself, in addition to not having the background of decades of other games to compare it to, having to spend time collecting things doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Anyway, those are my two cents on the matter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I suppose those death quotes that are like "Freedom has no place in the light of our sun" and "The days of individual happiness are over" might have felt over-the-top and cheesy even just a year ago. But like with the Sterling thing discussed above nowadays I can't muster any irony towards them and they just felt chilling

yeah, what sterling stuff? he is kinda of wanker but like i am not surprised people didnt like yoka laylee. playing the demo, it was clear it was going to be a niche thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A game where you start out fat and ugly, but you can grind a lot to be super ripped and get cosmetic surgery to look more attractive. But at the beginning of the game people won't bang you because you're ugly. If you get all the changes, they still won't bang you because they just don't like you that way. In fact, they actually got with someone who's not very attractive either but has a great personality while you were busy minmaxing your image. But like, in a way that this comes off as critical towards the player and not in a MRA kinda way.

Wow that actually sounds impossible to accomplish. Like 90% of gamers would take away the message of "wow, bitches, amirite?"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of people played Persona 4 when they were in high school and have a warped view of how good it is, so it getting a sequel years later is like when Phantom Menace came out and nerds camped out for weeks to get tickets. P5 got delayed over and over which just made the trembling anticipation that much more intense.
People forget that Persona 4 is really not that old at all. The very first release on the PS2 was two years into the loving PS3. So no I don't think misplaced nostalgia is playing that big of a part here.

E: Also having replayed it on the Vita in 2012/2013 P4 still holds up as one of the best JRPGs ever IMO.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If there wasn't a "camera sensitivity" option in P5 I might have thrown my controller, holy poo poo turn that up immediately everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

Here's my hot take on Yooka-Laylee, a game I have no interest in: It is rightfully being compared to 3D platformer/collectathons from the PSX and 64 era but we live in a generation where a new age of children would eat that thing up. It's easy to lambast the game because it's too similar to things from a 20-something or 30-something year old's childhood, but kids who are 8 today would probably love to have a game that's colorful and not too challenging. Parents who have an XBox One for Call of Duty or Final Fantasy now have something to put under the tree for their kids at Christmas, or for their birthday. I haven't done a lot of research but I bet that there's not a strong market for big budget games that are designed for younger audiences. So every review I hear mentioned makes me wonder who the audience of that review is. People like the reviewer, who grew up with a Nintendo 64, or kids who have to settle with indie titles? Can Jim Sterling get into the mind of a pre-teen and deduce whether their Minecraft-addled mind would really think there are too many mini-games? Similarly, I think it's tricky to grade something like Nier: Automata and Yooka-Laylee on the same rubric. Is a game designed for children going to be penalized for not having engaging combat mechanics, or for having stages that reward exploration with little trinkets to inflate playtime? When you have to beg your parents to buy you a game and can't just pay for it yourself, in addition to not having the background of decades of other games to compare it to, having to spend time collecting things doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Anyway, those are my two cents on the matter.

I think your premise is a little flawed there because while it's nice for a child to have a "big budget" game, I think the sheer volume of cheap, indie, free and mobile games a child has access to makes it difficult to compare the experience of a child today to that of one back in the "one game at christmas every year" generation who grew up with an N64. The cheap/free games I could play as a kid were garbage Game and Watch tier stuff, while a kid today can play some genuinely amazing stuff at no cost at all.

• Locked thread