Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

real engineers are mostly olds who are well-known for their love of waking up early

this is a startup. I'm older than everyone there. I also wake up at 6 am, but gently caress going to work that early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ratbert90 posted:

I wake up at 430 and go to the gym before work, then I eat breakfast when I get to work.

I work a straight 8 and eat lunch once I get home at 2:15.

I then do contract work for 3 - 4 hours and stop for the day.

Bedtime is at 9, so it works out really well. Been doing it for over a year now. :unsmith:

twelve hour workday, living the dream

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/847641596954779648

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

8am means the contact at the company doesn't have time to do it during the day which means they are bad at scheduling. probably avoid.

drat, shaggar was so right. after I said no to 8am I got this.

quote:

Originally it was 8am to get an early start. Since you are not free until after 9:30am, they would like to shoot for 8pm.

Given their current deadlines, the engineers have been tied up during the day.

Will 8pm work?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

:siren: WARNING. DANGER. :siren:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Management posted:

so they are, at the least, working 11 hour days. jesus gently caress run away.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

AnoHito posted:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

AnoHito posted:

i would not work for any company that would ask me to interview someone at 8pm or 8am

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Management posted:

I've done interviews at 8:30am which I was mad about, but fuckin lol at doing an interview at 8pm

Metaconcert
Nov 28, 2010

"And my answer is when there are nine"

AnoHito posted:

I guess they could in principle be different people but I doubt it somehow.

I'm sort of curious what people see as normal/acceptable/ideal -- my current office is populated for upwards of eleven hours but the core hours are more traditional

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

raminasi posted:

twelve hour workday, living the dream

I make a shitload of money though.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Just got bait and switched with a listing that advertised their slick new office, jeans policy and nerf guns and then in the interview I was told that the position was actually a placement job at another company that's about 30 minutes away (about an hour commute for me) with a rather strict dress code.

Back to the applications.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ratbert90 posted:

I make a shitload of money though.

life's far too short for that poo poo

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
if anybody's looking for a job in boston my company's hiring an experienced web dev (react + rails) and a back end dev (java + python, experience here is much more negotiable). we're located right by government center. pm me if interested and I can give more details

I can promise no interviews at 8, morning or evening!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you cant make it to an 8 am interview you are unprofessional and dont deserve to be hired

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

if you cant make it to an 8 am interview you are unprofessional and dont deserve to be hired

I can, I don't want to. I'm usually up at 6. I still don't roll into work until 10:30 because I enjoy my morning.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

The Management posted:

I can, I don't want to. I'm usually up at 6. I still don't roll into work until 10:30 because I enjoy my morning.
same

don't get me wrong, I'll probably still show up for the interview, but im gonna judge your place really heavily on how many people are in the office at 8:00 am because it had better be fuckin close to zero

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Elysiume posted:

I've done interviews at 8:30am which I was mad about, but fuckin lol at doing an interview at 8pm
I abuse flextime to its fullest and often saunter into the office around 1:30 or 2:00, so interviewing at 8pm would be pretty reasonable if I were giving it.

In fact I think there's even special demand for those willing to give interviews on weekends or weird times since good people with real jobs can't necessarily take normal daytime slots easily.

In this case though the recruiter heavily implied that the reason the engineers couldn't interview from 8am to 8pm was because they were "busy with deadlines" which strongly implies a persistent toxic death march culture and project mismanagement.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

same

don't get me wrong, I'll probably still show up for the interview, but im gonna judge your place really heavily on how many people are in the office at 8:00 am because it had better be fuckin close to zero
[/quote]

Yeah I'd hate to work with morning people or adults children that roll in at noon only please

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

In this case though the recruiter heavily implied that the reason the engineers couldn't interview from 8am to 8pm was because they were "busy with deadlines" which strongly implies a persistent toxic death march culture and project mismanagement.

yeah that's a major red flag right there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jre posted:

life's far too short for that poo poo

nah, last year I took a full months worth of vacation days and still made shitloads of cash.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ratbert90 posted:

nah, last year I took a full months worth of vacation days and still made shitloads of cash.

me too, but I barely worked 6 hours a day

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive never taken any time off officially because I've never recorded time in adp or whatever at any company I've ever worked for :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

America needs mandatory vacation laws badly

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PokeJoe posted:

poo poo i'd take mandatory paid holidays at this point

and even then that'd fall short since ofc it wouldn't be all of them "just the important ones"

hell even the public employees and finance workers who get all of them off still fall well short of what everyone else outside of freedomland gets for recognized holidays. it's total bullshit

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hell i'd take mandatory sick leave lol

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ratbert90 posted:

Lmfao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

hell i'd take mandatory sick leave lol

I thought this was passed or am I thinking just a state?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Rex-Goliath posted:

I think only CA has mandated sick leave, my company has an office in San Francisco so they have to include all the info for California time off stuff separately

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oregon has also mandated sick leave

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

I think only CA has mandated sick leave, my company has an office in San Francisco so they have to include all the info for California time off stuff separately

theyre just informing u that ur state sux

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rex-Goliath posted:

No, there's a few state or even city level ones but nothing at the federal level iirc

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
when I worked for msft in texas, we used washington OT laws instead of texas to compute my overtime. it was way better. instead of "Every hour after 40 is OT" it was "every hour after 8 in one day, and double-time after 12, and also every hour after 40"

it was great during crunch time.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I use the law of "salaried employees don't get overtime" and it sucks

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

I use the law of "salaried employees don't get overtime" and it sucks
same, but at least we get comp time and (this is the crucial bit) don't work for a company that makes you do it on a regular basis

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if you're salaried and you can't get comp time (even if unofficial) it's time to get a new fuckin' job

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if you're salaried and you can't get comp time (even if unofficial) it's time to get a new fuckin' job

:agreed:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

PokeJoe posted:

lol merica best country on earth

Rex-Goliath posted:

they've tried to pass it a bunch of times but it dies every time: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr2460

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

• Locked thread