Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Digirat posted:

But haven't you heard? There's nothing wrong with the weapons, you just need to grind until you unlock them all 9 more times and then they're fine! *shoots halfheartedly at bronze enemy, then uses melee for rest of match*

Please tell me the stream called them out for that poo poo during, and are still calling them out for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I ended up with two of my three strike teams idle but when I try to assign them to a mission (in the app) it says they're already on a mission. I logged into the game and when I tried to assign one to a mission it disconnected me from the server. When I got back in I was able to assign them. That didn't entirely work for my other team, now they can only be assigned to the 5 credit missions, not the 10 credit missions. If I try to assign them I get "Team is already on a mission" in the app, and disconnected from the server in the actual PC game.

Any tricks to unlocking this team? They've already had a successful 5 credit mission but that didn't fix anything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got some weirdness with a free team supposedly being on a mission already, which was fixed by just logging out and logging back into the app. Was not running the game at the time

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
There's a patch coming Thursday.

Applicable things for MP are:

"Multiplayer balance changes: Weapons, cover, and enemies (check back for detailed notes on balance changes)

Fixed issue where objective sometimes becomes un-interactable for players in multiplayer

Streaming and stability improvements"

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

2% damage buffs across the board, 15% nerf for all high impact snipers and vanquisher

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

ShadowHawk posted:

It resets to custom after the game ends and people stick around.

Try not immediately leaving when that happens, often you end up being the host yourself with one or two others, and then you can change it back.

It's even worse than that. It reverts to custom when the original host leaves, even if the lobby hadn't played the mission.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I feel like most powers, and all weapons except snipers could do double damage and the snipers would still be better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Powers feel anemic right now because they moved to a universal Prime/Detonate system. Powers aren't meant to do much damage on their own, it's all about the combos now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^ Except combos do fuckall damage too so they're basically an awesome-looking particle effect and sound that makes you feel awesome as it advertises itself on the HUD and on the kill list, before you realize that it did 1/5 of the health of the most basic enemy in the game. Then you feel not so awesome.

"Cover" is an odd thing to note. Wonder what that will mean. I can't think of anything that jumps out as being consistently wrong with it, just the occasional screwup like the guy not crouching behind it while defusing an objective.

Really hoping the enemy changes involve bringing kett down to at least somewhere in the same zip code of difficulty as the other enemies.

Obviously there's a huge amount of changes that need to be made for guns and combos, but the game shipped with the balance in such a laughably and consistently bad state (even the trailers showed assault rifles plinking away at basic enemies for 3% of their health per shot) that I'm very concerned they might think this is somehow acceptable as it stands, and expect that they won't make changes as drastic as they should. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 4, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Digirat posted:

Really hoping the enemy changes involve bringing kett down to at least somewhere in the same zip code of difficulty as the other enemies.

I'd rather see the other enemies tuned up. Not that I want them to get sync kills or anything, but the other two factions are piss-easy compared to the Kett.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2017

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Im worried they're just going to nerf sniper rifles into oblivion, completely missing the point of why nobody uses anything else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Digirat posted:

^ Except combos do fuckall damage too so they're basically an awesome-looking particle effect and sound that makes you feel awesome as it advertises itself on the HUD and on the kill list, before you realize that it did 1/5 of the health of the most basic enemy in the game. Then you feel not so awesome.

I mean, I'm not saying power damage doesn't need a buff, I'm just giving the likely reason why. And combos can do very good damage, try running Asari Adept with maxed out Annihilation and Lance.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Best use for biotics is using pull and throw to just launch anything that isn't armored or an observer off the loving map.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's weird how much shorter MEA's multi is than 3's, but it's so much faster paced in combat, it's great. Charge > Punch > Nova feels way better than Charge > Nova did.

This soft cover system sucks though.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Im worried they're just going to nerf sniper rifles into oblivion, completely missing the point of why nobody uses anything else.

My guess is this is the exact plan. The stream seemed to indicate that way, and in the ME3 they rarely buffed guns, just nerfed the good ones mostly.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

All ultra rare guns receive 20% damage boost, premium packs no longer purchasable with MP Credits

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Zakmonster posted:

I've been rocking the Turian and Human soldiers, both with Sustained Fire and a Revenant/Raptor combo. I've never seen Hydras go down so fast.
Isn't this gun combo like -50% recharge? Or are you saying you use a Revenant on one guy and a Raptor on the other

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The extra weight upgrade lets them carry some fairly heavy stuff. My turian soldier has a falcon and a sniper rifle (incisor/raptor/vanquisher) and is within 5% of the max power recharge speed, IIRC.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, soldiers can carry a lot. Besides, the only thing I need to recharge is Turbocharge anyway and its still fast enough that I have it when I need it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Frush posted:

My guess is this is the exact plan. The stream seemed to indicate that way, and in the ME3 they rarely buffed guns, just nerfed the good ones mostly.

Actually they buffed guns a lot, just never the ones that really needed it. Like for example almost a year after release they were still gradually increasing damage on things like the Incisor.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My God the Avenger is loving terrible. At level 2 it's taking me a full magazine to kill things with max Turbocharge on Silver. Even the Charger is better.

Still mad the Typhoon isn't in this game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

-To better replicate player experiences, strike teams not outfitted with the "Black Widows" equipment are now guaranteed to return from gold Kett missions with the PTSD trait.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now that I've gotten used to Observers, the Remnant are really almost as easy as Outlaws. Only thing that truly sucks is when two Destroyers spawn basically side by side. Ascendants don't do that poo poo at least.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

precision posted:

I mean, I'm not saying power damage doesn't need a buff, I'm just giving the likely reason why. And combos can do very good damage, try running Asari Adept with maxed out Annihilation and Lance.

Till you fight a Krogan beserker on Gold and not only does it not stagger him, but it also takes like 1 percent of his life bar

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

precision posted:

Actually they buffed guns a lot, just never the ones that really needed it. Like for example almost a year after release they were still gradually increasing damage on things like the Incisor.

In a game full of 'best in slot' weapons, buffing something in a way that still leaves it worse (especially if it's objectively instead of just subjectively) is functionally identical to not buffing it. But yes, you're right that I am exaggerating slightly on the no buffing thing. Though lets just remember the Claymore, Harrier, Hurricane, and Black Widow from the last one, and how few guns were comparative unless they were niche cases.

In my opinion, guns of the same class should do roughly similar damage, but have different mechanisms that differentiate them, like beam vs bullet, charge, etc. Some guns being high risk/high reward is good too. But balance in my mind is that most guns are more of a sidegrade than an upgrade so everything is viable but plays different.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

precision posted:

Now that I've gotten used to Observers, the Remnant are really almost as easy as Outlaws. Only thing that truly sucks is when two Destroyers spawn basically side by side. Ascendants don't do that poo poo at least.

Remnant don't have dogs so they are the least obnoxious enemy to fight.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Astroniomix posted:

Remnant don't have dogs so they are the least obnoxious enemy to fight.

They have those tiny drones.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

And observers are a pain in the rear end (for melee at least)

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tribbledirigible posted:

They have those tiny drones.

The tiny drones don't ruberband me nearly as bad so I don't mind them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd rather see the other enemies tuned up. Not that I want them to get sync kills or anything, but the other two factions are piss-easy compared to the Kett.

I feel like the main reason that the Kett are so hard is because pugs have no loving ability to handle an Ascendant. My Kett games generally go fine right up until the point where Ascendants drop and everybody loses their collective poo poo and tries to melee it to death.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

The big problem with Kett in pub groups is that they're the only enemies that have sync kills. Outlaw hydras can grab you, but they might not kill you with it, and even if they do you can be resed. With the current latency issues stemming from p2p fighting ascendants can be a nightmare.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ascendants are the easiest boss to ignore until they're the last enemy left

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frush posted:

In a game full of 'best in slot' weapons, buffing something in a way that still leaves it worse (especially if it's objectively instead of just subjectively) is functionally identical to not buffing it. But yes, you're right that I am exaggerating slightly on the no buffing thing. Though lets just remember the Claymore, Harrier, Hurricane, and Black Widow from the last one, and how few guns were comparative unless they were niche cases.

In my opinion, guns of the same class should do roughly similar damage, but have different mechanisms that differentiate them, like beam vs bullet, charge, etc. Some guns being high risk/high reward is good too. But balance in my mind is that most guns are more of a sidegrade than an upgrade so everything is viable but plays different.

:agreed:

This is why I've complained so much about weapon rarity being closely tied to weapon quality. I do not think unique content should be intentionally designed to be a worse choice in all cases than other unique content. If you desperately need to have vertical progression instead of horizontal progression in your game, then do something like vermintide where there is a set of colors for each weapon, but where each weapon can be just as relevant on the top difficulty as it is on normal. Don't design a gun with unique graphics, sound and feel, then make that content functionally obsolete as soon as the player gets the Better Gun. Several guns work this way right now, such as widow->isharay and viper->vanquisher.

This game has 47 guns but it feels like there's way fewer in practice, because much of the content becomes obsolete as you unlock other content. Vermintide has 30-something weapons (not counting weapon types that are shared between characters, which puts it at 44) and that is exactly how many weapons the game feels like it has. The balance isn't perfect but at least it's not intentionally designed to make the one-handed axe obsolete as soon as you get the two-handed axe or whatever. Both weapons are viable on cataclysm difficulty and both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Khizan posted:

I feel like the main reason that the Kett are so hard is because pugs have no loving ability to handle an Ascendant. My Kett games generally go fine right up until the point where Ascendants drop and everybody loses their collective poo poo and tries to melee it to death.

This combined with the stupid upload objective makes Kett functionally unplayable as far as I'm concerned. You can't Cobra Ascendants so they can just hard deny points indefinitely and let the stupid minigun assholes flood you.

Cobras need to hard murder everything they touch, they're pretty garbage otherwise.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

This combined with the stupid upload objective makes Kett functionally unplayable as far as I'm concerned.

Hah! I think every single gold Kett I've done has involved solo'ing most of the upload wave after the idiot pubbies all get themselves squished.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Cobras need to hard murder everything they touch, they're pretty garbage otherwise.

Yeah, considering that enemies don't cluster like they did in ME3, you're not getting the 5-7 kill with a cobra you used to.

Not to mention that trying to use your Cobra is frustrating, because you usually have to plonk 2-3 cobras into a boss scrum:

- Jumping cancels the cobra
- Dashing cancels the cobra
- Vaulting cancels the cobra
- Using a power cancels the cobra
- Selecting the cobra cancels the cobra
- Launching a cobra cancels the cobra

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Getting rid of the cancels would be a nice QoL change, but I 100% disagree with upping their damage. Making it so Cobras aren't an absolute get out of jail free card is one of the best changes to the game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bootcha posted:

Yeah, considering that enemies don't cluster like they did in ME3, you're not getting the 5-7 kill with a cobra you used to.

Not to mention that trying to use your Cobra is frustrating, because you usually have to plonk 2-3 cobras into a boss scrum:

- Jumping cancels the cobra
- Dashing cancels the cobra
- Vaulting cancels the cobra
- Using a power cancels the cobra
- Selecting the cobra cancels the cobra
- Launching a cobra cancels the cobra
I had two cobras hit a massive Kett pack and do zero damage too. I could have sworn ME3's instagib item was still a one-hit kill all the way to Platinum but I only played a few matches there.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

I got some weirdness with a free team supposedly being on a mission already, which was fixed by just logging out and logging back into the app. Was not running the game at the time
I was excited about trying this but it didn't work :( I've tried logging out and back in, logging out then going into the game and trying to assign them there, going into singleplayer game and assigning them there, logging in to the app while logged into the app and trying to assign them from the game then from the app before the game disconnects. All no-go. Sucks because it is one of my level 20 teams with plenty of good attributes and no bad ones. I guess I will have to delete them if the patch this week doesn't fix them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Digirat posted:

This is why I've complained so much about weapon rarity being closely tied to weapon quality. I do not think unique content should be intentionally designed to be a worse choice in all cases than other unique content. If you desperately need to have vertical progression instead of horizontal progression in your game, then do something like vermintide where there is a set of colors for each weapon, but where each weapon can be just as relevant on the top difficulty as it is on normal. Don't design a gun with unique graphics, sound and feel, then make that content functionally obsolete as soon as the player gets the Better Gun. Several guns work this way right now, such as widow->isharay and viper->vanquisher.

This was a big problem in Destiny as well. You had tiers of guns, which even had flavor text, but after you got your first blue? Say goodbye to all the greens. Repeat at purple and to a limited extent the yellows. Granted, Destiny was trying to be part MMO and that's somewhat the way they roll but even within a tier you had perks that would render the same gun garbage vs god-tier depending. And it basically still ended up with everyone using the same few guns. Though there in the competitive multiplayer you had the opposite problem, where victory was more related to stacking the good one hit kill weapons. Meta will always be a thing, but diversity within the meta is probably a good indicator of balance.

Honestly I think an example of it being well done was the M-7 Lancer in the ME3MP. It wasn't better than a lot of guns in terms of damage, but that infinite clip and light weight was fantastic, especially on the power classes. It was good (to me, subjectively) despite not being damage-wise the best in slot. In fact, looking back at the list of guns, many of them operated differently and had at least a brief moment in the sun.

You're right that in most cases the best guns are tied to rarity, but I think that the vertical progression is at least a bit necessary since you need to provide people with the incentive to get out of bronze and challenge themselves to get those larger credit rewards and the better guns. Even games like Call of Duty have a progression. The better question then, is assuming you get reasonable balance, what's the best incentive to get on that treadmill? A prestige system? Banners and callsigns?

• Locked thread