Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Only time Aerith lost me was when she started needling Barret about going to the amusement park. Literally minutes after he'd been confronted by the survivors of his doomed village. Like, what the hell, Aerith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Alphinaud and his sister's outfits are annoying and don't fit into the aesthetic of the game (but no one ever talks about it, weirdly) and they also do the whole "so smart and above all this" thing that rubbed me the wrong way from the get-go in ARR. Maybe Alphi cleans up in the expansions but I still haven't gotten around to playing them.

Squall's just dumb. It's not even his fault really. The most frustrating aspect of his character is how other people treat him. They constantly rally around him even early on because he's the main character, not because he does or says much. His growth arc is nice though.

The expansions have long-rear end plotlines specifically about that and also gives them new outfits.

Renoistic posted:

Only time Aerith lost me was when she started needling Barret about going to the amusement park. Literally minutes after he'd been confronted by the survivors of his doomed village. Like, what the hell, Aerith?

The idea there was supposed to be "she's trying to get him to do something to cheer up" IIRC.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

There's a game that deserves a sequel.

It was RPG resident evil with magic and better weapons. Why wasn't it more of a hit?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Catberry posted:

It was RPG resident evil with magic and better weapons. Why wasn't it more of a hit?

It sort of abandoned the innovation and cinematic flair of the first game to become even more of a straight Resident Evil clone with a lot of grinding, which took a lot of wind out of its sails. Who knows where the series could have gone if it had gotten another sequel, which it didn't.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Catberry posted:

They made two sequels. Don't look the third one up unless you're interested in seeing the director of FF15 at his absolute lowest. You will learn why we will probably never get a fourth game though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Catberry posted:

I don't want to see how they could gently caress it up further.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

The expansions have long-rear end plotlines specifically about that and also gives them new outfits.

Fair enough. Maybe during the summer games drought this year, I'll get to it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

The idea there was supposed to be "she's trying to get him to do something to cheer up" IIRC.

Yeah, I understand that. But considering how well she usually reads people it's weird how she goes about it in the worst possible way-

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Parasite eve did have another sequel it is known as The 3rd Birthday. You may have heard about it, it had a little known thing called LIGHTNING FROM FINAL FANTASY XIII's outfit.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Captain Baal posted:

Parasite eve did have another sequel it is known as The 3rd Birthday. You may have heard about it, it had a little known thing called LIGHTNING FROM FINAL FANTASY XIII's outfit.

Well, not for long it didn't.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Oxxidation posted:

It sort of abandoned the innovation and cinematic flair of the first game to become even more of a straight Resident Evil clone with a lot of grinding, which took a lot of wind out of its sails. Who knows where the series could have gone if it had gotten another sequel, which it didn't.

I actually never played the first one. Just the second one but I played through it something like 20 times.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Catberry posted:

I actually never played the first one. Just the second one but I played through it something like 20 times.

For the love of god play the first one, it is easily the best.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You don't even have to wait till expansion to see Alphinaud gets his poo poo pushed in harder than any of the "genius prodigy" type characters ever do in a FF. The expansion just has him get poo poo on perpetually for a good chunk of the main story till he just learns to roll with the blows.

It's even better than just rolling with the blows - he realizes most of his decisions have caused massive problems, and learns to stop acting like he's the de facto leader of the Scions. After 3.0 most of the time when a big decision needs to be made, his response is either "what do you guys think?" or "let's figure out who's best at what and go from there."

He's significantly less of a whiny brat and a much better leader as the story progresses

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I played Parasite Eve two years ago and it holds up very well and doesn't feel like an out of date PS1 game. it's fun and generally got a lot of really cool stuff with it along with a pre-KH Shimomura soundtrack. Then I played PE2, I still haven't finished it because it feels like a chunky lovely RE clone and has none of the first game's charm.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I really want to replay Xenogears but I wonder if even an upscaled emulator will make it look like not-poo poo

overall I'm worried it won't be nearly as fun/good as the first time I played it :ohdear:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ventana posted:

This is what people say unironically about FF13 Hope tho
I don't think the problem with Hope is his archetype, I think the issue was more that his mom's death scene was kind of awkwardly handled and its kind of hard for some players to feel the same way about her as he does as a result.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kelp Me! posted:

I really want to replay Xenogears but I wonder if even an upscaled emulator will make it look like not-poo poo

overall I'm worried it won't be nearly as fun/good as the first time I played it :ohdear:
The bigger problem with Xenogears in modern times is how slowly the text moves.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

You should, I enjoyed the second time around. If you've got the PSX game I strongly recommend that, though - you can hear the disc spin up when it's loading a random battle and you can't jump. hosed up some easy platforms before I realized that!

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Phantasium posted:

For the love of god play the first one, it is easily the best.

I heard it was a semi turn based resident evil game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Catberry posted:

I heard it was a semi turn based resident evil game.

Even that isn't really accurate. The closest equivalent I can think of is Vagrant Story but it's very much its own thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The first one is basically a jrpg. The second one is Resident Evil. And the third one is I think some kind of weird non-canonical fan game like Other M

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

I played Parasite Eve two years ago and it holds up very well and doesn't feel like an out of date PS1 game. it's fun and generally got a lot of really cool stuff with it along with a pre-KH Shimomura soundtrack. Then I played PE2, I still haven't finished it because it feels like a chunky lovely RE clone and has none of the first game's charm.

Same. Glad the Best Friends played it so now I don't have to.

I even tried to start up a playthrough when they did and petered out super hard. It's just a really boring game set in a really boring world.

Saint Freak posted:

The first one is basically a jrpg. The second one is Resident Evil. And the third one is I think some kind of weird non-canonical fan game like Other M

I don't think it's non-canonical they just literally didn't have the license. Unless :thejoke:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can't really complain too much that it's just become a watered down putdown for teenage anxiety and or rebranded mall goths but the entire point of emo is being overly emotional.

Who thinks Squall "..." Lionheart is emoting too much? His entire story ark is learning how to express emotions to become an adult.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I don't think the problem with Hope is his archetype, I think the issue was more that his mom's death scene was kind of awkwardly handled and its kind of hard for some players to feel the same way about her as he does as a result.

hope's moms death scene is a work of art

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kelp Me! posted:

That game is probably the most emotionally difficult JRPG for me to get through and I know I'm a big fat baby.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zedprime posted:

I can't really complain too much that it's just become a watered down putdown for teenage anxiety and or rebranded mall goths but the entire point of emo is being overly emotional.

Who thinks Squall "..." Lionheart is emoting too much? His entire story ark is learning how to express emotions to become an adult.

Well he throws a giant piss fit about people forgetting him when he eventually dies but he gets better.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm sure the "Squall rescues Rinoa in space" thing was supposed to be really emotional but all my memories of that section involve gleefully realizing that those weird paired-color monsters on the spaceship had 0 resistance to Death. They were such a pain in the rear end and then they turned into 1-shottable nothings.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I actually enjoyed the FF8 story as a 14 year old. Makes sense in a lot of ways!

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm sure the "Squall rescues Rinoa in space" thing was supposed to be really emotional but all my memories of that section involve gleefully realizing that those weird paired-color monsters on the spaceship had 0 resistance to Death. They were such a pain in the rear end and then they turned into 1-shottable nothings.

Why did we even care about Rinoa? Did she have a personality? Did Squall?

Maybe the theme should have been Selphie as the main protagonist and Quistis as her love interest.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The story gave up in the orphanage so I gave up on the story at the same time. Good music though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bloodychill posted:

The story gave up in the orphanage so I gave up on the story at the same time. Good music though.

I never got the derision for the FF8 OST. I agree that it had a lot of good music, but I hear a lot of complaints about it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Most of the characters from FF8 have some sort of character development, but does Rinoa? I don't really remember her growing that much as a person compared to Squall or Seifer, or even characters like Quistis and Zell. Been forever since I played FF8 and haven't followed the LP in awhile (though I definitely want to catch up at some point, solid read from what I did catch) so serious question.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nah Rinoa kind of sucked and was only there to be a vessel for the Sorceress. She never really changes from her initial entrance as "wheee I'm a revolutionary isn't this fun??"

she did give us Angelo though and I guess that makes up for it

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mega64 posted:

Most of the characters from FF8 have some sort of character development, but does Rinoa? I don't really remember her growing that much as a person compared to Squall or Seifer, or even characters like Quistis and Zell. Been forever since I played FF8 and haven't followed the LP in awhile (though I definitely want to catch up at some point, solid read from what I did catch) so serious question.

I think the majority of her development revolves around her being the eventual vessel for Ultemicia and trying to cope with the reality of her being a sorceress. That and the Squall romance. Her father was also a general in the Galbadian army, who is also occupying her town of Timber. Unfortunately I don't think the game goes into too much detail of any personal development or change in her character other the the fact that she's the sorceress love interest of Squall.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Vargatron posted:

I never got the derision for the FF8 OST. I agree that it had a lot of good music, but I hear a lot of complaints about it.

It wasn't as good as the FF7 OST but "not living up to fan expectations" can be applied to everything about FF8. On its own merits, the FF8 OST is nice and varied, tending towards better low-tempo chill songs like Blue Fields.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Some of the series' best music comes from the PSX games, and that includes huffing ether FF VIII.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You know, I finished another run through of FF9 recently and while it's really sweet and makes for a nice little bit of epilogue it's kind of a dick move for Zidane to not immediately run to Garnet the second he could reach Alexandria. Though 'Dramatic, romantic, and kind of a dick' is Zidane's character so it at least makes sense in universe, but I can't believe Blank, Marcus and Ruby didn't try to talk him down from it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I always saw Rinoa's problems as kind of a weird mirror to Squall's. Where Squall struggles to come out of his shell, open up, and be an actual realized person who is okay with relying on others and not just a good solo mercenary, Rinoa has to learn competence and how to stand on her own without overrelying on others to fix her poo poo for her when she tries to make a leadership decison.

Squall's the super elite soldier who has people problems, Rinoa is the social butterfly who has a string of tactical failures, and by working together they learn to overcome their shortcomings.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bloodychill posted:

It wasn't as good as the FF7 OST but "not living up to fan expectations" can be applied to everything about FF8. On its own merits, the FF8 OST is nice and varied, tending towards better low-tempo chill songs like Blue Fields.

Breezy (the Balamb Town music) was like one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar and it still relaxes the hell out of me when I play it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB30RVWeuP8

also finding that link led me to some guy who re-orchestrated a bunch of FF8 music and it's pretty dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBBv0Vl-TM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyPJZeaUshU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

also finding that link led me to some guy who re-orchestrated a bunch of FF8 music and it's pretty dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBBv0Vl-TM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyPJZeaUshU

Quoting to remind myself to listen after work.

Have you ever checked out BitSymphony? I really liked what they did with VII's music.