Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Soviet Negro Republic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

loquacius posted:

Sorry Z, I know you're just in one of your "moods," can't play this time, I got you on the next one though :respek:

My good sir, your present remarks are in sharp contrast to your usual brand of good-faith discourse. While dismayed with this turn of events, I will continue to hone my measured responses to your implication arrow and spongebob theses.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Zhulik posted:

My good sir, your present remarks are in sharp contrast to your usual brand of good-faith discourse. While dismayed with this turn of events, I will continue to hone my measured responses to your implication arrow and spongebob theses.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

meanwhile in CA 34, Sanders has failed to issue and endorsement despite one of his state campaign guys being one of the candidates. i understand that CA counts for basically loving nothing politically speaking, but cmon throw us a bone here Bernie.

if we end up going into the June election with Robert Ahn versus Generic Doomed Republican #241, im going to be irritable

I honestly think this is the kind of thing you could get actual honest-to-God movement on if you get people talking about it in the right channels (not C-SPAM)

Like, raise a stink about it on Twitter, get enough people to join in, eventually the right intern will take notice

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nonsense posted:

The Soviet Negro Republic

The Black Oblast sounds like a fuckin killer alt-history blacksploitation flick

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

zegermans posted:

And now we're to the not-racist "blacks didn't know how to vote right" phase

Those poor whites are constantly voting against their own self interest because of racism and sexism. (True, btw)
But these black people living in the same places, they're unimpeachable special perfect voters.

Nobody knows how to vote right, I loving voted for Jill Stein one year. If anyone knew how to vote right we'd be living in full luxury communism about now.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Every black person should have voted La Riva in the general IMO, and the white people should have pre emptively written in Buttigeig.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

plot twist: there is no way of voting right

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The Brown Menace posted:

plot twist: there is no way of voting right

Colin Kaepernick voted right

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

Oh look you deleted the entire Black South again. Do you write for Jacobin?

Stop making GBS threads on your own balls plz

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

Sorry Z, I know you're just in one of your "moods," can't play this time, I got you on the next one though :respek:

I bring up the stronghold states because those are the ones with all the self-described "liberals" in them which he had to win to Make A Statement. He could not, largely because of the aforementioned old people. The same age-divide thing is what also lost him the South, now that you mention it, except even more so because his Youth Engine wasn't running at full bore yet and then Jeff Weaver gave up immediately.

e: I guess it wasn't the SAME age divide -- older black people have nothing but goodwill toward the Clinton family, though whether it is deserved is the subject of many a thinkpiece and I won't get into it here. That's not strictly the same thing as the stronghold-state "all the important people like Hillary so I'm mad if you disagree with them :mad:" old people.

i mean, first i just think that you're making this very strange and broad painting of old people as if they slavishly all voted for hillary. hillary did well among them, but not THAT well. she won 59% 65+ voters in massachusetts, compared to sanders getting 65% of 18-29 year olds. sanders scored 83% of 18-29 voters in new hampshire, so he had a huge drop-off in ma that cost him that particular state.

and when we're looking at proportions of older voters to younger voters, the reality is dem primaries are not really much older than general elections. like a few percentage points at most, but 18-29 tend to make up 16-19% of the electorate in primaries and 65+ tends to make up about the same amount. large exception to that being in the south, of course.

so i don't really agree with your point. in most cases, i think if the progressive candidate is a strong candidate with a good campaign and competitive fundraising, they're going to be competitive or win. the problem is they do not often have any of those, and that's why they get rinsed so often - and a candidate that gets rinsed in primary almost certainly would not have been competitive in the general. and i think it's kind of a strange defeatist view that progressives can't win in primaries because it's stacked against them. is it not possible for progressives to turn out more young voters? are older voters so hopeless that you shouldn't try to win their votes?

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Apr 4, 2017

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

meanwhile in CA 34, Sanders has failed to issue and endorsement despite one of his state campaign guys being one of the candidates. i understand that CA counts for basically loving nothing politically speaking, but cmon throw us a bone here Bernie.

if we end up going into the June election with Robert Ahn versus Generic Doomed Republican #241, im going to be irritable

Weird that you're asking Bernie Sanders to throw you a bone lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

loquacius posted:

I honestly think this is the kind of thing you could get actual honest-to-God movement on if you get people talking about it in the right channels (not C-SPAM)

Like, raise a stink about it on Twitter, get enough people to join in, eventually the right intern will take notice

its a little late for that because today is the jungle election and i didnt even think to look who Sanders endorsed until now

im pretty fuckin shook now because Ahn thinks that sanctuary cities are something for the courts to rule on, that buying healthcare across state lines should be a priority, and is currently leading in fundraising going into election day.

starting to wish id voted for Gomez, because while hes the "establishment" candidate, for all that label means when it comes to the CA, at least hes running to represent a majority latino district on a platform of unequivocal support for sanctuary cities and single payer healthcare

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Weird that you're asking Bernie Sanders to throw you a bone lol

im a sanders voter, dog. gave him money and everything. im just not as loving batshit as you

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

im a sanders voter, dog. gave him money and everything. im just not as loving batshit as you

:same:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I admit that me blaming old people is mostly a bitterness thing; the younger Hillary supporters I knew had basically the same thought processes. But the last time the boringest wonkiest good-ol-boyest bureaucrat didn't win the Dem primary without the actual winner being a once-in-a-generation charismatic campaign genius was when Dukakis won. We've got a "type".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

its a little late for that because today is the jungle election and i didnt even think to look who Sanders endorsed until now

Well, shoulda got on that then :colbert:

man I wanna follow this now

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

But Perez is just the same and there's no reason to think he's being pushed for any reason.

Lol, Dems are gonna fall on their faces so hard in 2018. They've learned nothing. They're hiring the people who thought that Fight Song was an excellent idea.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Be nicer to each other

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
[in extremely kenny loggins tune] welcome to the sucker zone

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Reasons that NJ gov primary is a poo poo show: the progressive dude seems like he is completely loving nuts and sanders doesn't want to endorse

I'm voting for Gay Nightclub Owning Man

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

logikv9 posted:

Be nicer to each other

What if we were, instead

Excellent to each other?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The day before the primary I messaged one of my friends and said "hey vote Bernie" and she was like "no I'm voting Hillary" and I said "that's cool"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

logikv9 posted:

Reasons that NJ gov primary is a poo poo show: the progressive dude seems like he is completely loving nuts and sanders doesn't want to endorse

I'm voting for Gay Nightclub Owning Man

theres like two of those which is even funnier

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lisa mccormick and john [satanic summoning ritual] (i still cant pronounce his last name)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

logikv9 posted:

Be nicer to each other

sounds like a bullshit hillary slogan to me :smugdon:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

loquacius posted:

Well, shoulda got on that then :colbert:

man I wanna follow this now

in my defense the fact that i even know theres an election today makes me a total freak

forecasting puts turnout possibly as low as 9%

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
wait why is wisniewski crazy? i haven't really paid that close attention to the race

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

The day before the primary I messaged one of my friends and said "hey vote Bernie" and she was like "no I'm voting Hillary" and I said "that's cool"

loving sexist berniebastard

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

zegermans posted:

Cool Breitbart framing of her statement. She said half of Trump supporters were deplorable, which is well under half of America. And polls of their opinions prove her right.

Also Vegeta didn't final flash the crowd, it was just a standard ki attack.

ok now thats out of the way

whats up succ zone!! :unsmigghh:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Concerned Citizen posted:

wait why is wisniewski crazy? i haven't really paid that close attention to the race

hes like screaming like hes painted in a corner except hes standing in an open room

i mean hes fine his campaign strategy is kinda funny tho?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think hes talking about lisa tho. lisa is legit nuts.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So everybody just ignoring that the DNC is hiring Hillary's communications team to do the same job for the democrats? That's kind of notable.

Also stupid.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Thoguh posted:

So everybody just ignoring that the DNC is hiring Hillary's communications team to do the same job for the democrats? That's kind of notable.

Also stupid.

lmao

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Thoguh posted:

Also stupid.

no am no you have my attention now

:frogon:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Also stupid.

doomed

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Black Oblast sounds like a fuckin killer alt-history blacksploitation flick

Oblast is a cool word

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Thoguh posted:

Also stupid.

The Clinton Cancer has metastasized in the DNC, it's terminal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

no am no you have my attention now

:frogon:

quote:

Xochitl Hinojosa, a top adviser to Perez both during his time at the Labor Department and during his bid for the DNC spot, will serve as the DNC communications director.

According to a release from the DNC, Hinojosa's task will be to orient the party's message both around opposition to President Trump and also as a "proactive message of economic opportunity and Democratic values."

Adrienne Watson will shift over to the spot of new deputy communications director. Both she and Hinojosa worked together on Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign. Before that, Watson worked for the pro-Clinton super PAC "Ready for Hillary." In her new role, she'll continue work on the party's anti-Trump "war room."

Tome Perez posted:

“The DNC must do a better job of communicating our message and be a meaningful partner with organizations, candidates and state parties in all 50 states and territories,”

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uuugggghhh why? when a train engineer wrecks a train in conditions that would normally preclude the possibility of a wreck by someone presumably certified to engineer a train, you don't put them behind the controls of another train, you recommend they find another line of work.

• Locked thread