Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I bought a set of wood carving tools and some of those knock-off Copic markers in the sale - when they come in, I'll report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

That70sHeidi posted:

In the nail supplies section I have already bought these nice lining brushes
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-P...0608.0.0.bT6jwd

I have these, they're good

The big 13+ piece nail art brushes are pretty good, too

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there are "freebies" up for grabs every day. X # of people apply, a handful are picked, they can buy the item for $0.01, and then they review it.

The idea is to give sincere reviews, practically speaking, that would be sincere, but also as positive as possible reviews. The more you do so, the more freebies you get. I just applied for my daily allotment of two, so I have no idea how long it takes to get picked. Worth the chance if you have a spare few minutes to browse, there's cheap clothing and makeup brush sets and more pricey electronics and everything in between.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
Seems like about a week or so to get turned down... err I mean picked. I've been hitting them pretty much daily since I started ordering. No luck yet though.

It's also possible to apply for older freebies up to about a week back, if nothing for the current day is worth a penny to you. Dunno if applying late affects your chances of being picked though.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Need a new lighter? You too can be an AMEIMCAN LECEND

A hamster leash??

How about some cool new wall stickers for your living room?

Also available with a soccer ball!

~Feathers~

Doot doot

Peekaboo!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I checked the feathers one, and the entire sheet is 50cm x 70 cm. Roughly 20" x 28". I hate when they do that. Wall decals in the store do it too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

fethers

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I ordered a cardigan a little while back. It arrived a few weeks later, looks nice, doesnt reek of chemicals, fitted really well.

I've been wearing it for a week and I've just noticed that the stitching on the pockets is all torn up just from use. :argh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I unironically like the doot doot skeleton.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
I am buying that skeleton. Maybe two.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

New 2017 Military Novelty Man Quartz Sports Men Watches Silicone Lighter Gift

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I checked the feathers one, and the entire sheet is 50cm x 70 cm. Roughly 20" x 28". I hate when they do that. Wall decals in the store do it too.

That's one tiny couch.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They are dollhouse decorations

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Carbon Thief posted:

Need a new lighter? You too can be an AMEIMCAN LECEND

While not this exact model, I've had nothing but awful luck with the coil based e-lighters. The batteries don't last more than a handful of charges and the element gets super dirty if you carry it in your pocket.

These hold up much better in my experience but still don't make it more than a couple months of daily use.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

:catstare:

Well if mine somehow stayed still long enough to attach that, she'd have it chewed off in 2 seconds flat.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I got a freebie belt in eight days and a skinny tie bar in 30 days! The freebie belt came with baby socks and they both reeked so badly of isoamyl acetate I left them outside for a week. They don't smell as much now but my hands and belt area smell when I wear it and I don't want to get stung by bees

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've gotten a couple of "leather" belts and they smelled the way they are supposed to :shrug:

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I got "leather" boots that had to be aired out in the garage for a week. I don't know the name of the smell-causing chemical, though.

Heads up, there are multiple hair straighteners that use steam in the freebies. Don't apply for those. Heat & steam just basically flash fries your hair.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I got "leather" boots that had to be aired out in the garage for a week. I don't know the name of the smell-causing chemical, though.

You actually ordered a pre-seasoned leather cumbox shaped like boots vOv

Has anyone in this thread risked ordering a guitar off AliExpress? I'd never actually do it, but the idea of getting lucky and getting a perfectly set-up factory Chibson for like $150 shipped is funny. I assume they come out of the factories doing the actual production line guitars so...

Faffel fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 4, 2017

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

My very first Chinese Christmas! 4 fabric pens for $1.16? Hell yeah. :cool: They work perfectly and I love the instructions. Although I'm starting to have my doubts that this product was actually made in Japan. Haha jk. China would never lie about something like that

E: phone posting so let me know if any tables were broken

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Heads up, there are multiple hair straighteners that use steam in the freebies. Don't apply for those. Heat & steam just basically flash fries your hair.

they probably just didn't wash the prisoners before turning them into boots

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anyone try ordering cheap chinese mystery seeds? I thought my favorites were the seeds for plants that were biologically impossible.

Nice photoshop, guys.

Then I looked at the seeds for aquarium plants. Seeds for moss? Does moss even grow from seeds? And then I found the lowest effort fake seeds.

Seeds that grow plastic plants. :aaaaa:

What do they even send you if you order plastic plant seeds? Just sweep the floor and mail floor grit?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think pick bought some. Somebody itt did

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I really wanted to get some bonsai tree seeds, but after seeing blue strawberries and a blue "Japanese ghost maple", I figured they're all either dead or kudzu, so no.

It's a great case study of idiots leaving five star reviews for poo poo they haven't even tried. "Got the seeds in the mail, can't wait to see if they grow!" 5/5

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I really wanted to get some bonsai tree seeds, but after seeing blue strawberries and a blue "Japanese ghost maple", I figured they're all either dead or kudzu, so no.

It's a great case study of idiots leaving five star reviews for poo poo they haven't even tried. "Got the seeds in the mail, can't wait to see if they grow!" 5/5

Aren't bonsai trees just trees? They stay tiny because they live in tiny pots with carefully restricted nutrients and pruning, which is why growing a nice one takes skill.

The ratings are off the chain though. Even stores with obvious fake plants have approval over 90%. Tons of negative reviews too, just somehow even more positive reviews.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

best bale posted:

My very first Chinese Christmas! 4 fabric pens for $1.16? Hell yeah. :cool: They work perfectly and I love the instructions. Although I'm starting to have my doubts that this product was actually made in Japan. Haha jk. China would never lie about something like that

E: phone posting so let me know if any tables were broken

I'm glad to hear these are decent, I ordered some in the sale. They're one of those dumb things that are way more expensive than they should be - the fabric store was charging $5.99 for one.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Aren't bonsai trees just trees? They stay tiny because they live in tiny pots with carefully restricted nutrients and pruning, which is why growing a nice one takes skill.

The ratings are off the chain though. Even stores with obvious fake plants have approval over 90%. Tons of negative reviews too, just somehow even more positive reviews.

It's me, the idiot who shops on AliExpress. In my defense, at least I didn't want to buy one of these:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sanguinary Novel posted:

It's me, the idiot who shops on AliExpress. In my defense, at least I didn't want to buy one of these:

Why the hell not, those are awesome.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Carbon Thief posted:

I'm glad to hear these are decent, I ordered some in the sale. They're one of those dumb things that are way more expensive than they should be - the fabric store was charging $5.99 for one.

Right? Haven't used water yet but the pink fades on its own relatively quickly and the blue stays the longest. Stoked to have the white pen because it gives me a reason to buy non-white/off-white fabric for my crass cross stitches.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Snowy posted:

Why the hell not, those are awesome.

Okay, if I could legit grow a rainbow maple, I'd have six in my windowsill right now. As it is, I already gave college all of my money to dash my hopes and dreams.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Most "leather" from Asian countries is actually made from cat skin. Hope I just ruined everyone's "leather" products.

Don't buy "leather" from AliExpress.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Most "leather" from Asian countries is actually made from cat skin. Hope I just ruined everyone's "leather" products.

what is that a joke? cat skin, really?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I ordered a bunch of cute novelty sticky notepads and the seller gave me a free package of puffy stickers in the envelope :3:

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Is this the same friend of a friend who told you that chinese diet pills are made from aborted fetuses and that the inscrutable chinaman also sells plastic rice to gullible foreigners.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mike12345 posted:

what is that a joke? cat skin, really?

It's mostly polyurethane

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Guy Mann posted:

Is this the same friend of a friend who told you that chinese diet pills are made from aborted fetuses and that the inscrutable chinaman also sells plastic rice to gullible foreigners.

It's from PETA

So, yes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mass manufactured plastic fake leather is cheaper than skinning, curing and tanning scrawny dead cats.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm seeing items in my cart that I didn't buy during the sale... they're lower now than the sale price. Apparently some items (I imagine a billion) were inflated before the sale to show a big discount. THOSE GODDAMN CHINESE!!!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Mass manufactured plastic fake leather is cheaper than skinning, curing and tanning scrawny dead cats.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38302019 though.

e: tl;dr: "Fur is tragically so cheap. It can be produced for the same or less than the cost of fake fur."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

I'm seeing items in my cart that I didn't buy during the sale... they're lower now than the sale price. Apparently some items (I imagine a billion) were inflated before the sale to show a big discount. THOSE GODDAMN CHINESE!!!!

I watched something go from 24 dollars a week before the sale to 30 immediately before to 26 during :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Last night a dumb watch that I was going to buy was supposed to be $8 and change after the sale kicked in at midnight, but instead this morning it was $239. :confused:

I had a similar experience.