Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

McGlockenshire posted:

Thank you, that's a great resource. I hadn't thought to look at RW, as it's still classified in my brain as a resource in fighting fundies only. How times have changed...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have my issues with some of it, but it's like one of the last few holdouts of old internet atheism that haven't gone super racist or intolerant, so it's nice to have that.

it was a truly great skeptical site until those darned SJWs took over, uh, a few months after it started, now it's terrible

"RATIONAL" wiki huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/584002274063687681

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/387400133039489025

NOTE: I checked back when that second tweet was more recent, and the page on Zizek was a stub that was un-opinionated by virtue of being a stub, and the Sokal page politely notes criticism of Sokal's Hoax that other people have brought up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neon Noodle posted:

Racism is like the worst mind-virus ever. It's so hard to eradicate. All of our human vulnerabilities play into it -- people look different, so that means there are categories of people. Plus in the U.S. we all grow up with a level of historical background radiation that makes racism seem like the reasonable default. It takes SO MUCH EDUCATION to counteract. It's just the loving common cold of memes.

The main reason it's hard to eradicate is because it's a sensible explanation for the status quo. Without any alternate framework for why there is dramatic inequality, it stands to reason that it must be some inherent flaw in the downtrodden or inherent virtue in the privileged. There's a reason all these guys start off interested in "reason" and being "skeptical", another cohort comes from PUA and MGTOW stuff, etc. It's not that they don't notice this stuff, it's that for all their protesting, they fully believe in the dominant ideology of meritocracy, technocracy, and so forth.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's like how the reason libertarians don't bring up Nozick, despite him being by far one of the most respected figures to argue for libertarianism is that he thought the government should be allowed to step in if a basic quality of life isn't being maintained, there should be a massive estate tax to prevent an uber-rich aristocracy from developing, and before we implement the libertarian society we should do one massive redistribution of goods in order to fix the lovely start various groups have had(for instance, reparations for the descendants of slaves). He doesn't have appeal to libertarians who basically want the status quo, plus marijuana and minus any restrictions on corporations and taxes.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It's like how the reason libertarians don't bring up Nozick, despite him being by far one of the most respected figures to argue for libertarianism is that he thought the government should be allowed to step in if a basic quality of life isn't being maintained, there should be a massive estate tax to prevent an uber-rich aristocracy from developing, and before we implement the libertarian society we should do one massive redistribution of goods in order to fix the lovely start various groups have had(for instance, reparations for the descendants of slaves). He doesn't have appeal to libertarians who basically want the status quo, plus marijuana and minus any restrictions on corporations and taxes.

Most libertarians want to entrench social systems that support their privileged position or tear down social systems which challenge their privileged position. This is an apolitical stance and philosophy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

divabot posted:

edit: AHAHAAHA kirkegaard shows up personally and says IT'S ALL RATIONALWIKI'S FAULT

drat, congrats.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Can someone tell me more about this Big Yud guy?

The linked song and Wiki make him sound like a kook but not a horrible racist kook which I thought this thread was mainly about.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

NikkolasKing posted:

Can someone tell me more about this Big Yud guy?

The linked song and Wiki make him sound like a kook but not a horrible racist kook which I thought this thread was mainly about.

He's a kook who isn't NRx, but is beloved by a significant amount of them and he writes terrible Harry Potter fanfiction which will somehow save us all from being killed by future robots

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Neoreaction A Basilisk goes into how Yudkowsky's website served as a sort of Petri dish in which neoreaction partially evolved.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

He's a kook who isn't NRx, but is beloved by a significant amount of them and he writes terrible Harry Potter fanfiction which will somehow save us all from being killed by future robots

Pope Guilty posted:

Neoreaction A Basilisk goes into how Yudkowsky's website served as a sort of Petri dish in which neoreaction partially evolved.
I'll just go with Phil Sandifer's description on the subject:

quote:

So allow me to say with absolute explicitness: Eliezer Yudkowsky is not a neoreactionary. He repudiates the philosophy in explicit terms. He has shown no sympathy for and ative hostility to its most noxious beliefs. If I have ever suggested otherwise, I apologize profusely for the infelicity of writing, and if it is possible to edit the text in question I will do so.

[...]

For what it's worth, though, the reason I needed Eliezer Yudkowsky in the book was that I needed someone who wasn't evil. Mencius Moldbug's philosophy is indefensible, and Nick Land is ostentatiously playing a super-villain, which is delightfully evil, but nevertheless evil. And Yudkowsky is wrong, and sometimes wrong in ways that genuinely deserve a bit of condemnation, but at least he's a fun crackpot, and that counts for an awful lot in my world. And while Neoreaction a Basilisk does not offer anything that might be mistaken for hope, it has a sense of good guys and bad guys, and Yudkowsky's one of the good guys.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Big Yud isn't nRX, he's an AI crank with I think? broadly libertarian views appropriate to his social circle. He's adjacent to neoreaction proper (Land et. al.) because they walked up and stood next to him. He's not very happy about it.

The alt-right more generally I don't believe he's very relevant to. Your average Pepe troll/MRA whiner doesn't give a drat.

He's a big influence on contemporary 'rationalism' and 'post-rationalism' as a founding figure even if most of them disagree with some, most or all of his specific theses. That community has an overlap with the alt-right for various reasons (naive conception of open debate allowing disingenuous reactionaries to colonise spaces, right-wing theses attractive to naive 'smart' kids like the libertarianism of yesteryear, etc.).

We talk about him here because of these connections and because the Less Wrong thread was shut down so there's nowhere else.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thank you for the replies everyone. But now I want to read this "Neoreaction A Basilisk" book. Where can I buy it?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

McGlockenshire posted:

There's something about this that makes me hesitant to believe anything else he says.

I came across Robert Lindsay's blog some years ago. He literally believes himself to be an anti-racist and a leftist, because, well, read for yourself.

It's amazing how he can think of Trump and his supporters as racist and then write posts like [url="https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2016/12/06/racist-elitist-arrogant-indian-man-kanwal-rekhi-by-magneto/this[/url]. Or anything under this tag.

Pretty refreshing coming back to this blog and reliving that same sense of utter cognitive dissonance I felt the first time. This has got to be the definition of doublethink.

Like, check out this comment / testimonial:

quote:

The openmindedness of this blog in general and the comments policy is a sterling example of what the Left should be (and often is not): fraternal, no holds barred, unafraid to engage with anyone, democratic, intellectual, intelligent, and barring no-one from its debates on account of their politics alone. It deserves to be much more widely known within the blogging community worldwide. The political and intellectual culture of the community who debate here (with the exception of a few trolls and debate stoppers) is an example to all seeking an egalitarian alternative to capitalism, and a challenge to the boring and otiose official bourgeois media.

Also, this picture of his really pisses me off:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Dr. Tobias Fünke, Analrapist and Antiracist

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for the replies everyone. But now I want to read this "Neoreaction A Basilisk" book. Where can I buy it?

So far it's only legally available to backers of the associated kickstarter. Sandifer is preparing a general release with some bonus essays (TERFs, gamergate, Austrian econ, lizard people) for later this year, I forget when.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fututor Magnus posted:

I came across Robert Lindsay's blog some years ago. He literally believes himself to be an anti-racist and a leftist, because, well, read for yourself.

It's amazing how he can think of Trump and his supporters as racist and then write posts like [url="https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2016/12/06/racist-elitist-arrogant-indian-man-kanwal-rekhi-by-magneto/this[/url]. Or anything under this tag.

Pretty refreshing coming back to this blog and reliving that same sense of utter cognitive dissonance I felt the first time. This has got to be the definition of doublethink.

Like, check out this comment / testimonial:

Also, this picture of his really pisses me off:

Ambrose Bierce would have eaten this dude as a light snack. The presumption of claiming to channel him! That said, here is a delightful collection of Bierce's short stories. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3715/3715-h/3715-h.htm

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Peel posted:

So far it's only legally available to backers of the associated kickstarter. Sandifer is preparing a general release with some bonus essays (TERFs, gamergate, Austrian econ, lizard people) for later this year, I forget when.

Sounds like it's even better than the original. I'll definitely have to remember to get this.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

NikkolasKing posted:

*psst* there's one of the preview drafts up on libgen

the final release will be SO WORTH IT. Three-paragraph footnotes and all.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm still waiting for my colour version to crack it.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/slavojzyzzek/status/849050690181885955

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
For some strange reason the majority of white wing gays seem to be wealthy white men who hate "mainstream" gays. I wonder why.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

closeted? I thought you willed yourself gay using wizard magic to prove a point :colbert:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mainstream gays like commitment, and that's poison to the Conservatives. Same reason they wanted us to stay in the closet, you're much more vulnerable if you're invisible.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ate all the Oreos posted:

It's almost like dick dorkins is a bad scientist whose only respected by nerds because he panders to them and has an authoritative English accent that makes him sound smart to dumb Americans who have been culturally trained that English accents mean sophistication.

(Completely tangential: My favorite thing I learned about the whole subconscious accent thing is when I was watching a British gameshow and they used an American accent narrator to emphasize how HARDCORE EXTREME SERIOUS something was, like the exact opposite of what we do :laugh:)
One of my favorite things is watching Brits on the internet rant about how Hollywood stereotypes them as evil by giving bad guys English accents, totally oblivious to the fact that they do it because the English accent makes the villains seem suave/rich/sophisticated/well-educated. Like, yes, they're villains, but the accent isn't put in there to insult the English.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Zoe Quinn has a book on Gamergate coming out in September!

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

For some strange reason the majority of white wing gays seem to be wealthy white men who hate "mainstream" gays. I wonder why.

Sometimes they are sad failed artists. Jack Donovan used to be (not kidding here) Jack Malebranche, a LaVeyan Satanist who, again... not kidding, painted poo poo like Hitler on black velvet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
A. Wyatt Mann was a LaVeyan Satanist too.

The real danger of satanism is that it's a gateway drug to Ayn Rand

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

divabot posted:

Zoe Quinn has a book on Gamergate coming out in September!

Looking good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A. Wyatt Mann was a LaVeyan Satanist too.

laveyan satanism is basically objectivism, the Church of Satanism or w/e owns because they're basically a political group that exists solely to troll people and point out how stupid religious objections are, citation that time they got a baphomet statue erected somewhere and then gay married some dudes in front of it

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

laveyan satanism is basically objectivism, the Church of Satanism or w/e owns

Immediately contradicting yourself

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

laveyan satanism is basically objectivism, the Church of Satanism or w/e owns because they're basically a political group that exists solely to troll people and point out how stupid religious objections are, citation that time they got a baphomet statue erected somewhere and then gay married some dudes in front of it

You're thinking of The Satanic Temple, who IIRC explicitly disavow LaVey.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Different beasts with similar names and coincidentally similar primary deities. It happens.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah, it's Objectivism + whimsical fashion choices.

You know that John Galt and Howard Roark probably frowned at costuming. You should be noticed for the power of your of Manly Personal Will, not your jaunty facial hair.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

A LaVayan Satanist is just an Objectivist with warning colors to let you know any conversation with him will be toxic.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
When the comments on SSC itself aren't sufficiently terrible, there's always Reddit /r/slatestarcodex, including Scott Alexander as a regular! It's a sea of Dunning-Kruger, racism and frothing about the evils of SJWs, but of course they all self-identify as "leftists" of some variety hitherto unknown to political science.

* A genetics grad student dares tell them that the horrible scientific racism and HBD bollocks on display makes him not want to show the site to other geneticists, and Kirkegaard in particular is a huge crank. The SSC commentariat know how to deal with this sort of mainstream academia argument from authority SJW bullshit, of course. Scott joins in on the side of his commenters, combating the opinions of mere geneticists on genetics with the opinions of psychiatrists.

* An economics grad student sees this and desperately tries to get across what determined Dunning-Kruger it is even taking notice of Kirkegaard. Again the commentariat, including Scott aren't taking this SJW joined-up-thinking bullshit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

divabot posted:

When the comments on SSC itself aren't sufficiently terrible, there's always Reddit /r/slatestarcodex, including Scott Alexander as a regular! It's a sea of Dunning-Kruger, racism and frothing about the evils of SJWs, but of course they all self-identify as "leftists" of some variety hitherto unknown to political science.

They know that right wing movements are associated with racism/sexism/fascism and, rather than have any introspection about this, they claim to be leftists to try and take the heat off. They think everyone just takes everything at face value like they do.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nah I meant the Satanic Temple. They rule.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Nah I meant the Satanic Temple. They rule.

Yeah some people cleared up that confusion for me after I posted. I have nothing against the Satanic Temple.

divabot posted:

* A genetics grad student dares tell them that the horrible scientific racism and HBD bollocks on display makes him not want to show the site to other geneticists, and Kirkegaard in particular is a huge crank. The SSC commentariat know how to deal with this sort of mainstream academia argument from authority SJW bullshit, of course. Scott joins in on the side of his commenters, combating the opinions of mere geneticists on genetics with the opinions of psychiatrists.

* An economics grad student sees this and desperately tries to get across what determined Dunning-Kruger it is even taking notice of Kirkegaard. Again the commentariat, including Scott aren't taking this SJW joined-up-thinking bullshit.

Gotta prevent those progs from occupying freak spaces

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Was it this thread where someone was looking for anti-racism science? I believe I got this link from The Root: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qhW9j1dexPe2VJWr83ufZHaAlOiEGvaHe9ARUqmWNuA/edit

It's just a link collection, but it's extensive and pretty well categorized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/dubsteppenwolf/status/849677935871229953