Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://i.imgur.com/DnKSFyi.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

was not expecting that :stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
nature sure is amazing huh

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jesus bury your cables like every other country

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

bump_fn posted:

my dad does this w very sharp cheddar and i just dont get it

my grandfather did this but he also complaied that apple pies were too sweet these days so idk what he was doing

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

to be fair, literally everything is too sweet these days

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Boiled Water posted:

jesus bury your cables like every other country

Stockholm Phone Tower, 1890

was obsolete by 1913 and used for advertising until demolished in 1952.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I read somewhere that little kids simply don't have the part of the adult brain/ taste sensation/perception/whatever that makes you go "ugh, this is too sweet." you just keep ratcheting the sugar up more and more and they like it better and better

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

I read somewhere that little kids simply don't have the part of the adult brain/ taste sensation/perception/whatever that makes you go "ugh, this is too sweet." you just keep ratcheting the sugar up more and more and they like it better and better

i read somewhere that you have more taste buds when you're a kid, so you taste things more intensely, which is why kids hate pickles

there might have been more to it, but the pickle part is what i remembered

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

also their "sour" taste is underdeveloped until like 4 years old. like my kid would just eat lemons like it weren't no thing until this year.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

oh yeah i had this

crazy how much frosting i could eat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Elder Postsman posted:

also their "sour" taste is underdeveloped until like 4 years old. like my kid would just eat lemons like it weren't no thing until this year.

sweet is heightened, sour is deadened, and bitter is ramped way the hell up for children

it's hypothesized to be a survival thing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

prefect posted:

i read somewhere that you have more taste buds when you're a kid, so you taste things more intensely, which is why kids hate pickles

there might have been more to it, but the pickle part is what i remembered

i've always loved the very garlicy, vinegary pickles since i was pretty young

i've always loving hated sweet pickles

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sweet is heightened, sour is deadened, and bitter is ramped way the hell up for children

it's hypothesized to be a survival thing

tho kids antiobiotics are inherently bitter but over sweetened and kids seem to deal ok whereas as an adult it tastes soooooo bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i really enjoyed the banana flavoured medicine. i think it was antibiotics, not positive though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

When I worked at MS I knew a guy who was in HTG, he was one of the ones who started GLEAM :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's the survival advantage to kids eating more sour stuff? Like it's obvious why eating more sugar would be a survival advantage, and it's hypothesized that bitter receptors evolved in response to poisonous plant alkaloids. but most naturally occurring sour taste would be the result of Bacterial fermentation, i.e. rotting food , and you don't want to eat much of that.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i guess it's accidental like vasovagal syncope since sour mostly triggers from "acidity"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
tho in nature it could be to make fruits more palatable idk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Could be I suppose. Maybe the potential harm of eating mildly rotting food ( which would be mostly sterilized by stomach acid anyway) is outweighed by the advantage of eating an increased number of sour but relatively energy-dense fruits

also, talking about evolutionary accidents, today I compared signal crosstalk on electrical data lines to sneezing in the sunlight (which happens because in a subset of people the optic nerve runs a little too close to the part of your brain that controls sneezing, and sudden intense stimuli basically leak out into the surrounding tissue)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

if the employees at your dispensary are obviously high you need to find a better dispensary

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

if the employees at your dispensary are obviously high you need to find a better dispensary

That's the customer, note the orientation of the cash register. The arm holding the bag is the employee.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

even so, why the gently caress is it in a plastic baggie

that's not how they work at all

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

just remake dope wars with an updated UI/features ffs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

look at adhesive vinyl suppliers online

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sagebrush posted:

Could be I suppose. Maybe the potential harm of eating mildly rotting food ( which would be mostly sterilized by stomach acid anyway) is outweighed by the advantage of eating an increased number of sour but relatively energy-dense fruits

also, talking about evolutionary accidents, today I compared signal crosstalk on electrical data lines to sneezing in the sunlight (which happens because in a subset of people the optic nerve runs a little too close to the part of your brain that controls sneezing, and sudden intense stimuli basically leak out into the surrounding tissue)

hi my name is big scary monsters and i am a photic sneeze reflex sufferer, ama

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Ahhh haven't seen the old Dutch Crunch in some time.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

smoka bait

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

hi my name is big scary monsters and i am a photic sneeze reflex sufferer, ama

me too, happens every time

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sagebrush posted:

dark chocolate also makes me sneeze, dunno if it's connected or a different thing

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 4, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

it's kinda satisfying in a way

Improbable Lobster posted:

i really enjoyed the banana flavoured medicine. i think it was antibiotics, not positive though

i think maybe promethazine is banana? here anyway. and one is peach which is gross. erythromycin is cherry but cherry isn't a popular flavour here in nz like in the us . cefalexin suspension literally looks like baby diahorrea but tastes surprisingly good. i make an effort to taste as many liquid drugs as i can lol

King Diamond
Dec 26, 2005

Fudge-hackers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i never fail to be amazed at how unlike a real cherry the "cherry-flavored" medicine tastes

i don't know what fuckin fruit they thought was a cherry but it's not the ones i've ever eaten

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJUM6pCpew

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Sagebrush posted:

i never fail to be amazed at how unlike a real cherry the "cherry-flavored" medicine tastes

i don't know what fuckin fruit they thought was a cherry but it's not the ones i've ever eaten

they mean well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wtf is with cherry coke

• Locked thread