Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Does anyone ever use the gun rules from the book? Did you change anything? S'good?

Assault rifle fighter, flame thrower berserker, shotgun paladin, sniper rifle ranger? Silenced pistol rogue?

If I was going to use guns in 5e I'd just get the Mercer gunslinger rules on the DMguild. He set it to pay what you want so drop the man a dollar and load up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I ran Phandelver for my new crew and when they came to the broken cart they fanned out like a Spetznaz kill team setting up tactical overwatch, counter ambushed the goblins and then used enhanced interrogation techniques on one that lived. They made him lead them to the cave and then executed him by pushing an arrow through his eye into his brain...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

JBP posted:

I ran Phandelver for my new crew and when they came to the broken cart they fanned out like a Spetznaz kill team setting up tactical overwatch, counter ambushed the goblins and then used enhanced interrogation techniques on one that lived. They made him lead them to the cave and then executed him by pushing an arrow through his eye into his brain...

hans are we the baddies

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh they also didn't want to pay for some poo poo in town so they went to the shopkeepers house and ransomed his wife. I tried to tell them they didn't have to play the game with furrowed brows and that it was meant to be fun, then they said "this is fun". It was like being in the situation room hunting down Bin Laden for five hours.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's when the goblin leads them into an ambush just to spite his tormentors because he knows they are going to kill him anyway. I'm not getting moralistic or anything, it's a game, but I have a strict "torture never works" policy because verisimilitude.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

JBP posted:

Oh they also didn't want to pay for some poo poo in town so they went to the shopkeepers house and ransomed his wife. I tried to tell them they didn't have to play the game with furrowed brows and that it was meant to be fun, then they said "this is fun". It was like being in the situation room hunting down Bin Laden for five hours.

:sever:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
My buddy is a big sweetheart and is having trouble thinking of bardic insults for that one cantrip that he doesn't feel too rude using.

Solution: passive aggressive dadisms.

"I know you could have done better if you had applied yourself."
"Can you imagine how much this breaks your mother's heart."
"I'm not mad at you I'm just disappointed."

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Yeah this would be funny for like one session.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

xiw posted:

Invalidating exploration as a 1st level wizard spell yeah baby.

so this is basically a video game waypoint/guide thing right.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I eventually worked out that I could gently caress around with the scenario without breaking it and introduced a bandit shadow team with a backstory centered around escalation due to their series of horrific crimes. The scarlet bandits or whatever became the town protectors (because they did crime, but it was also their home technically) and I mutated the story that the adventurers had to make it up to the people they transgressed against by completing the story. I also had the majority of the stuff they stole removed from the game by having townsfolk burn down their lodgings in the middle of the night and the goblin came back to bite them in the rear end later as I made him the beloved pet Goblin of the Cragmaw dude who threw his treasure and himself into a crevasse out of grief, denying loot and granting 1/2 xp.

The next adventure everyone was a flighty, lighthearted adventurer or some aspect of Gandalf so I don't know what the gently caress. I feel like they took the game seriously at the start and then their characters became serious jerks as well.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 4, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elfgames posted:

so this is basically a video game waypoint/guide thing right.

It's actually the sprite from every 2D sidescroling beat-em-up ever that tells you when you can continue moving right once you've cleared all the enemies off the screen.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

JBP posted:

That's becoming one group I'm in. We captured a local thug and took him to the woodshed for some good cop/bad cop, but I am apparently the only person in a group of like 6 who realizes how this works and they just started chopping off body parts and straight up murdered him when we got what we needed.

My little halfling charlatan was trying to be a scoundrel and now he's rolling with murderers and poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

what the gently caress is the point of this? these are all things you can just do. especially the first use, which is "use your tracking skill to follow tracks". is this just for Fat McFailson, the laziest druid ever, or what

bonus: the bar mitzvah and marriage spell that grants buffs that last for 24 hours and incidentally gives material proof that remarriage after divorce is not blessed by the gods.

i also like the funeral ceremony that prevents the corpse from being raised as undead for exactly one day.

At what point does WOTC just stop kidding themselves and replace the skill system with casting a Diplomacy spell, casting an Intimidation spell, and casting an Investigation spell.

"I cast Movement to move to that spot that is 30 feet away"

"I cast Bigby's Five-Foot Step"

"I cast Tenser's Sword Swing"

Nah gently caress that treating D&D like you were a group of Tactilol Spec Ops Tier One Operators sounds like a hell of a time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nah gently caress that treating D&D like you were a group of Tactilol Spec Ops Tier One Operators sounds like a hell of a time.

If I let them do it over four sessions without restraint I would have been close to killing myself, but one session of it was pretty funny. Once I introduced repercussions they kept acting like ECHELON black ops wizards, but they had all this heat on them and basically had to tier one operate their way out of the entire world being arrayed against them to progress the story.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

If I let them do it over four sessions without restraint I would have been close to killing myself, but one session of it was pretty funny. Once I introduced repercussions they kept acting like ECHELON black ops wizards, but they had all this heat on them and basically had to tier one operate their way out of the entire world being arrayed against them to progress the story.

Well yeah exactly if they start acting like Blackwater then they're going to need all that Sam Fisher expertise just to not get assaulted on sight by literally everyone on account of all the bridges they've burnt.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well yeah exactly if they start acting like Blackwater then they're going to need all that Sam Fisher expertise just to not get assaulted on sight by literally everyone on account of all the bridges they've burnt.

Oh yeah and I still had to let them magically waterboard and then murder a bandit at one point (the body of whom was absolutely painstakingly squirreled away to avoid another incident). At the end they signed on with the main bad guy and became the private security force for the loving mines so I don't know. The game was stupid as hell but we all had a good time. I made their crew the enemy NPCs in the next adventure using a modified/shortened version of Princes of the Apocalypse and everyone was like HOLY poo poo at the big reveal.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
More like princes of the apocalypse now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

More like princes of the apocalypse now.

Erik Prince of the Apocalypse :getin:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is the Drizzt cliche really as omnipresent as people make it sound like in the year of our lord 2017? I wanted to make a half-elf bard and the half-drow variant from SCAG seemed awesome, mechanically. Are people seriously gonna assume I'm gonna play as an edgelord or Mary Sue because a bunch of nerds read some books like 20 years ago

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

It's actually the sprite from every 2D sidescroling beat-em-up ever that tells you when you can continue moving right once you've cleared all the enemies off the screen.

I would take a re-flavored Goodberry that spawned trashcan turkeys instead.

gradenko_2000 posted:

At what point does WOTC just stop kidding themselves and replace the skill system with casting a Diplomacy spell, casting an Intimidation spell, and casting an Investigation spell.
Off the top of my head these are all things already, so I guess skills exist to be the notably inferior thing that fighters are allowed to do.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 4, 2017

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Just wondering if anyone's had the opportunity to try out the new Psionics Unearthed Arcana yet? Specifically if/how broken they are? I got a game starting up Wednesday and one player would like to be an elven psionic and having one would go well with the "Menagerie of Freaks" thing the party has going (other PCs are a Rock Gnome Abjurationist, a Firbolg Artificier, and a Fallen Aasimar Warlock), but I'd hate to have him run roughshod over the rest of the party combat wise.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Off the top of my head these are all things already, so I guess skills exist to be the notably inferior thing that fighters are allowed to do.

Wizards are also allowed to do skill stuff. Just in case you thought there might be a trade-off, or that they might not be as good at it or something. Sometimes you want to roll Arcana before Detect Magic, and we can't let the martials do that!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

JBP posted:

I love how d&d makes people obsess over money — every quest we've taken began with an excruciating, endless back-and-forth over how much gold the mission will pay out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I guess its a difference in groups but Ive had all my players count gold to make sure everyone gets equal shares but like 4/5ths of my players couldnt give a poo poo if they got gold or not. The last one fifth then exploits this to have the most money and never pay for anything.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
In every group I've been with, one person always takes responsibility for tracking and divvying up treasure.

Hell, in my Strahd game we have one person keeping track of all our XP for us, in a giant excel file. I'm assuming they're not skimming, but it'd be pretty funny if they were.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

lifg posted:

In every group I've been with, one person always takes responsibility for tracking and divvying up treasure.

Hell, in my Strahd game we have one person keeping track of all our XP for us, in a giant excel file. I'm assuming they're not skimming, but it'd be pretty funny if they were.
"listen, Frank, it's not like we don't trust you, it's just, we can't help but notice your character is 2 levels higher than anyone else"

"yeah I don't know why you guys gave the XP spreadsheets to a Rogue either"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

"listen, Frank, it's not like we don't trust you, it's just, we can't help but notice your character is 2 levels higher than anyone else"

"yeah I don't know why you guys gave the XP spreadsheets to a Rogue either"

Its called a management fee. Also, he is an XP advisor, not an XP fiduciary so really thats on you.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never liked tracking money since I think it becomes inconsequential after just a short time. I remember reading a houserule (here maybe?) that abstracted money into pretty much a stat. Perhaps you found "a poo poo ton of money" in a cave. That's less than "a king's ransom". Both could be used to make purchases without consequence up to a certain price threshold. Say, you could spend 2 King's Ransom to buy a castle or some other extravagant purchase.

I always thought that was kind of neat and I've considered trying it in my game for a while. Right now my guys pretty much have an imperial expense account, where they could purchase whatever (wherever imperial authority is respected) but a royal accountant will eventually look it over to avoid shenanigans.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah I like how games like world of darkness and cthulhu have a wealth stat. Anything under a certain amount in reason is covered, anything over is out of reach or damages your wealth.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is the Drizzt cliche really as omnipresent as people make it sound like in the year of our lord 2017? I wanted to make a half-elf bard and the half-drow variant from SCAG seemed awesome, mechanically. Are people seriously gonna assume I'm gonna play as an edgelord or Mary Sue because a bunch of nerds read some books like 20 years ago

I regret to inform you that somehow in TYOL 2017 Drizzt books are still being published. The most recent one was about 6 months ago.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Have fun and do what you want.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I kind of want to do my out of the abyss game a bit more survival based. I like the idea of foraging food/water and all that, but the OOTA guide seems like some major accounting headache. Is there a middle ground way anyone has managed this (in any campaign, really) that is a bit more fun and intuitive when dealing with like 6 players and however many npcs they'll have in their misfit army? Players like the idea but are fairly new to the game and aren't sure either.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Wealth past a certain point in 5e is functionally worthless. In 3e when you could buy magic items your wealth by level was actually super important since it directly affected your combat effectiveness, but right now my Adventurer's League wizard has fifty thousand kicking around, even after scribing literally every spell from every spell book of every NPC and PC they've ever met. What the hell am I going to spend this on?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

blastron posted:

Wealth past a certain point in 5e is functionally worthless. In 3e when you could buy magic items your wealth by level was actually super important since it directly affected your combat effectiveness, but right now my Adventurer's League wizard has fifty thousand kicking around, even after scribing literally every spell from every spell book of every NPC and PC they've ever met. What the hell am I going to spend this on?

Airship.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

blastron posted:

Robe of the Archmagi

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Drizzt himself is not a bad character. But the number of rip offs that have no idea what he is like have soured a lot of people on him.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Drizzt himself is not a bad character.

i mean, by ra salvatore standards, sure

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Is that really a 5e/3e difference? The book has prices for stuff. I haven't decided how I'm handling that at all in my campaign - SKT hands out a boatload of money in the later sections. I found some forum thread trying to sanely price stuff but the numbers still seemed too low, ugg.

My druid immediately used conjure animals at level 5, trivializing a fight almost. I let him summon what he wanted for now with a warning we were gonna revisit it later, and big surprise, 8 wolves with advantage on all their attacks shits out damage. I decided that giants swinging giant axes could splash overkill damage onto nearby targets but it wasn't enough. Thoughts of ways to fix this in a non annoying way are: roll for quantity, roll for type, or 1 round of summoning sickness.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My druid immediately used conjure animals at level 5, trivializing a fight almost. I let him summon what he wanted for now with a warning we were gonna revisit it later, and big surprise, 8 wolves with advantage on all their attacks shits out damage. I decided that giants swinging giant axes could splash overkill damage onto nearby targets but it wasn't enough. Thoughts of ways to fix this in a non annoying way are: roll for quantity, roll for type, or 1 round of summoning sickness.

"my guy is actually nine guys" is always going to break an action-economy-based game. ask the player just to chill with the wolves and save it for when poo poo gets overwhelming, that's usually the easiest fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I kind of want to do my out of the abyss game a bit more survival based. I like the idea of foraging food/water and all that, but the OOTA guide seems like some major accounting headache. Is there a middle ground way anyone has managed this (in any campaign, really) that is a bit more fun and intuitive when dealing with like 6 players and however many npcs they'll have in their misfit army? Players like the idea but are fairly new to the game and aren't sure either.

It shouldn't be too hard to keep track of. Make a little box on each players sheet that says "# of food" and make sure players remove one tick per day if they fail a daily survival check to forage.

A couple notes: You'll need to agree to ban the Goodberry spell. And I think there's a magic jug of water they can get early on in that adventure, you'll want to remove that too.