Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PostNouveau posted:

They got good cheese fries, but your night has been a real shitshow if you end up there at 4 am eating cheese fries.

That's exactly when we were there, and we did get cheese fries, but continued to party until like 3 or 4pm the next day, I believe there was a trip to The Boot where we met the kicker (at the time) for the Saints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

NoneMoreNegative posted:

What, it's tied off nice and tight!?

I won't even lie, this is awesome.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

bobfather posted:

Jesus Christ, just goes to show how powerful hydraulics are. And I love that they have a dedicated stunt rig for it to climb up on.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is actually a retractable barrier. They are used in the Netherlands, in some places just to slow down traffic (retracting for one car every 30 s), in which case they're only active during rush hour on roads parallel to highways, that go straight through neighbourhoods. Without them, people would use those roads to circumvent rush hour traffic and drive way too fast through those neighbourhoods.

In this case though, it says BUS on the ground so this is probably an entrance into a neighbourhood that can only be used by public transport buses (those have a special transponder on board to lower the barriers). The barrier comes back up real fast after a vehicle crosses, but sometimes drivers think they can make it if they follow the previous vehicle close enough.

In other cases the signage isn't clear and drivers don't even see the barrier until it's too late to brake.

And, well...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bobfather posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMUvAUPTGM

Not the same tower, but if you want to watch it done!

Skip to the 3 minute mark

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

NoneMoreNegative posted:

What, it's tied off nice and tight!?

It's telling you to hit the gym, fatty.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's one of those little genie lifts working outside my building and it's beeping extremely loudly non stop. For hours. Every time the boom or base is moving it has a slightly different beep and it's seemingly constantly moving very slowly as these painters work. Why does this need to be?? A full day's work of non-stop rapid beeping. Is this something we could ask them to turn off or tone down some how?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 4, 2017

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

There's one of those little genie lifts working outside my building and it's beeping extremely loudly non stop. For hours. Every time the boom or base is moving it has a slightly different beep and it's seemingly constantly moving very slowly as these painters work. Why does this need to be?? A full day's work of non-stop rapid beeping. Is this something we could ask them to turn off or tone down some how?

Just ask them politely to disable the safety device on their heavy equipment. Thats a very OSHA thing to do.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Those flashy vest are pretty annoying to look at, too. Tell them to take those off while you're at it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't quite understand why it needs to beep non-stop for 5 hours a day? What is the beeping making safe? I've seen other genie lifts working away without the ear piercing beeps.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's so that people know it is moving. They should all make that noise constantly.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If it's constantly beeping, people will stop paying attention to the beeping. (Or go insane.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TTerrible posted:

It's so that people know it is moving. They should all make that noise constantly.

I think the complaint is that it's beeping with an entirely different tone when stationary. All the time.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

flosofl posted:

I think the complaint is that it's beeping with an entirely different tone when stationary. All the time.

Hahaha wow sucks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mozi posted:

If it's constantly beeping, people will stop paying attention to the beeping. (Or go insane.)

Exactly. It looks like the couple painters using it are just wearing ear protection so they don't have to hear the beeps. It's sitting fenced in on private property sitting on some sheets of plywood. The only people hearing the beeps are the people in nearby buildings who have no physical access to the lift.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFyWBLeM7Q

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Wait your original post says it is constantly moving. If it's beeping while its completely stationary and noone is on it then its broken as hell. If it's moving *even slightly* then it should be beeping.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is actually a retractable barrier. They are used in the Netherlands, in some places just to slow down traffic (retracting for one car every 30 s), in which case they're only active during rush hour on roads parallel to highways, that go straight through neighbourhoods. Without them, people would use those roads to circumvent rush hour traffic and drive way too fast through those neighbourhoods.

In this case though, it says BUS on the ground so this is probably an entrance into a neighbourhood that can only be used by public transport buses (those have a special transponder on board to lower the barriers). The barrier comes back up real fast after a vehicle crosses, but sometimes drivers think they can make it if they follow the previous vehicle close enough.

In other cases the signage isn't clear and drivers don't even see the barrier until it's too late to brake.

And, well...

Like this?

Ouch.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Beeping that is tooth-rattling loud annoys me too. There's a service vehicle that is always coming and going near me. It beeps whenever it is in reverse, which is annoying, but they do that. Whatever. But since you shift through reverse when going from park to drive there is a weird half beep and squeal in that instant. If the timer was set to start on the off-beep you wouldn't have that.

The beeping improves safety but only if you are within, say 50 feet, of the vehicle. And you can hear them a quarter mile away.

deoju fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 4, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TTerrible posted:

Wait your original post says it is constantly moving. If it's beeping while its completely stationary and noone is on it then its broken as hell. If it's moving *even slightly* then it should be beeping.

It's constantly moving slightly (the boom, not the wheeled base), within it's tiny fenced in area with the only 2 humans inside or with any ability to get near it wearing heavy ear protection to protect against the beeping.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Working as intended. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is actually a retractable barrier.
They're in some places in the UK as well, and are a great source of schadenfreude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hb0ERuZHc4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also, watch out if a CNG fueled bus catches fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QurQ2uW0oOU&t=21s

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Collateral Damage posted:

They're in some places in the UK as well, and are a great source of schadenfreude.

I love it when the windshield wipers turn on when they're impaled. It adds a lovely bit of added ridiculousness.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Oh, the humanity!!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh yeah I remember this one happening.

Interesting thing is that the safety vents of the CNG tanks worked as designed. Would have been a different story if this had happened inside a busy street or something.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I heart bacon posted:

I'm not sure who would live there, but I bet she has clothes with shoulder pads.

All we need is a DiscoVision player, CRT projector, and a coke spoon in the glass table.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Like this?

Ouch.
The vast majority of people getting caught on these are willfully trying to break the law and the schadenfreude never gets old.

Get the fuckout of my no traffic zone

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Did someone mention bollards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IELpd43PMvk

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

The vast majority of people getting caught on these are willfully trying to break the law and the schadenfreude never gets old.

Get the fuckout of my no traffic zone
They are also hilarious to watch.

I think they're absolutely terrible though. When someone tries to cheat, it causes damage to the underside of the car that makes it difficult to remove and very dangerous during the process. I mean it's a good "gently caress you" to the driver, but also to everyone else they are in theory trying to protect.

It's gonna blow the radiator, oil pan, or gas lines/tank while pedestrians gather around and film it.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Anyone know how this is supposed to be navigated? Is this supposed to be a bus/emergency vehicle only road?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

Is this supposed to be a bus/emergency vehicle only road?

It's this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

deoju posted:

The beeping improves safety but only if you are within, say 50 feet, of the vehicle. And you can hear them a quarter mile away.

They've started changing all the reversing beepers here to ones that make a much louder but kind of squelch-y noise, it's kind of hard to describe. The noise doesn't carry nearly as well, so you can really hear them where you need to but can barely hear them past about 100 meters.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Megabound posted:

Had some strange toilet placement in a hotel I stayed at recently

This was a few pages back, but I wanted to mention that these setups are for the disabled, they have them in hospitals too. Makes it really easy to go from making GBS threads to cleaning poo poo off you, or for taking an emergency poo poo when you're in the middle of a shower, or just taking a poo poo and showering separately without having to step over something and invite a fall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

*tink* *tink* *tink* hmm *tink* *tink* *tink* i wonder what that *tink* *tink* *tink* noise is *tink* *tink* *tink*

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It looks like the last guy breaks the windshield with his face when he runs into the bollard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bollards?

http://i.imgur.com/IvJWEyA.mp4

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

time for some kegels

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
The 3 assistants from the Mythbusters have their own show on Netflix called the White Rabbit Project. Episode 7 is "Tech We Love to Hate" and one of the segments in that show is about the constant beeping in our lives. They "demonstrated" its very hard to tell where beeping is actually coming from when blindfolded and showed a new kind of back up beeper that's easier to get a fix on where its coming from. Apparently there are OSHA regulations that require hearing protection in places where the beeping is above a certain decibel level. So not only are beeps a lovely way to convey what you should be paying attention too you might have to wear hearing protection to stop going deaf from them.

I was only able to find Russian? Ukrainian? copy of the episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMt2kh6aDug&t=1618s

Memento posted:

They've started changing all the reversing beepers here to ones that make a much louder but kind of squelch-y noise, it's kind of hard to describe. The noise doesn't carry nearly as well, so you can really hear them where you need to but can barely hear them past about 100 meters.

I'm guessing what the new noise they showed is what you've heard.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My pickup used to be owned by a train company, so it has a back-up beeper, and people get the gently caress out of the way 10 times faster than reverse lights alone, it's fantastic, but if everybody had one, everybody would ignore those too.