Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Clear this woke situation for its nuances. If Thunderer happened to enter Chikara dojo and call them chattering monkeys, would he be any less racist or just hardass K'un-Lun master?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I noticed Scott Buck in the credits, and googling reveals he was the showrunner for Iron Fist.

As a devoted hate-watcher of Dexter, this explains everything about Iron Fist. Dexter went to complete poo poo when he ran it.

Marvel has tapped him to run Inhumans, so abandon all hope of that being good now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Demiurge4 posted:

The show could have made a big deal out of his philantropy and supporting soup kitchens and the homeless of the city. But instead he goes from sleeping in a park with bare feet to a billionaire and never talks about the poor again.

Man, what if he had partnered with Colleen and funneled corporate money to Bakuto's organization as an act of philanthropy, fighting with the board or just advisors inside Rand. Then when it was revealed that the organization actually doing good was part of The Hand, you would have a really good conflict.

Play off both Danny's more straightforward view of morality and his sheltered life.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PostNouveau posted:

I noticed Scott Buck in the credits, and googling reveals he was the showrunner for Iron Fist.

As a devoted hate-watcher of Dexter, this explains everything about Iron Fist. Dexter went to complete poo poo when he ran it.

Marvel has tapped him to run Inhumans, so abandon all hope of that being good now.

lol, like Legally-Distinct-From-Mutants: The Movie TV Show was ever going to be good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

Season two should just be the guys at Kun Lun going, 'oh thank god Danny is finally gone, now all we have to do is wait for him to get killed doing something retarded and we can get our Iron Fist powers back'

This is what I imagined happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRy5JJfw-JI

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

counterfeitsaint posted:

lol, like Legally-Distinct-From-Mutants: The Movie TV Show was ever going to be good.
Actually this is about the Royal Family who are different than the Nu-Inhumans; though both types of Inhumans are better and more interesting than the Mutants/X-men

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Blackbolt will probably just be known as Brad and he will probably talk.Medusa will be a hair stylist.

It's going to be total poo poo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Not in Michigan it isn't. That poo poo is ice cream all day, erry day. :birddrugs:

Amd I bet Michigan universally thought Iron Fist was the creme de la creme of the Netflix stable, I am sure.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

GuyUpNorth posted:

Clear this woke situation for its nuances. If Thunderer happened to enter Chikara dojo and call them chattering monkeys, would he be any less racist or just hardass K'un-Lun master?

It depends what race he is duh!!!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

I knew exactly what this was before I clicked it, and you are 100% right.

Davos' turn wasn't him going rogue and Kun Lun shut the gate when they heard Danny coming.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Can't find the Iron Fist thread, so I'll just ask here. I didn't get the ending: why would Danny's sister want to kill him? She left her father because she found out he had Danny framed in the second to last or last episode. idgi

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Amd I bet Michigan universally thought Iron Fist was the creme de la creme of the Netflix stable, I am sure.

Whoa, let's not say things we can't take back. I both live in Michigan and consider Netflix Presents: Marvel's Iron Fist garbage.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

nickmeister posted:

Can't find the Iron Fist thread, so I'll just ask here. I didn't get the ending: why would Danny's sister want to kill him? She left her father because she found out he had Danny framed in the second to last or last episode. idgi

Because actual motivation never existed for any of the characters and they all just did what was necessary to drive the story forward. Joy is sequel-bait. Iron Fist is a master class in how not to tell a story. Even when it's not bottom-barrel, it's mediocre at best.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Hollismason posted:

Blackbolt will probably just be known as Brad and he will probably talk.Medusa will be a hair stylist.

We can only hope he talks near Danny and kills the poo poo out of him
:allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Barry Convex posted:

That's his comic book origin. Beyond the drastic change in his background from the source material, it was also pretty weird that we learn literally nothing about his pre-incarceration adult life aside from that he was in some form of law enforcement at some point.

Nah his comic book origin says he grew up in Harlem (which would've made more sense, why did they change it???) Even the whole Willis rivalry makes more sense w/ luke's original from the hood backstory:

Marvel.com posted:

Born and raised in Harlem, Carl Lucas spent his youth in a gang called the Bloods. With his friend Willis Stryker, he fought the rival gang the Diablos and committed petty thefts, often on behalf of deformed crimelord Sonny Caputo, a.k.a. Hammer. In and out of juvenile homes throughout his teens, Lucas dreamed of becoming a major New York racketeer until he finally realized how his actions were hurting his family; he sought to better himself as an adult, finding legitimate employment. Meanwhile, Stryker rose through the ranks of crime, but the two men remained friends. When Stryker's activities angered the Maggia (a.k.a. the Syndicate), he was badly beaten in a mob hit, saved only by Lucas's intervention. When Stryker's girlfriend, Reva Connors, broke up with him in fear of his violent work, she sought solace from Lucas. Convinced that Lucas was responsible for the breakup, Stryker planted heroin in Lucas's apartment (that he stole from drug kingpin Cornell Cottonmouth) and tipped off the police. Lucas was arrested and sent to prison; contact with his family was sparse due to the resentment of his brother James, Jr., who intercepted Lucas's letters to their father James and eventually led each to believe the other was dead.

Why would they change it??? I mean having a black superhero who wasn't a gangbanger is cool, but, well, why try translating Willis 1:1 if Luke's an upstanding copdude. :psyduck:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 1, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Nah his comic book origin says he grew up in Harlem (which would've made more sense, why did they change it???) Even the whole Willis rivalry makes more sense w/ luke's original from the hood backstory:

Why would they change it??? I mean having a black superhero who wasn't a gangbanger is cool, but, well, why try translating Willis 1:1 if Luke's an upstanding copdude. :psyduck:

TV is already full of black gangbangers and it's not the only black experience. They did fine changing his back story.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Eh, isn't the stereotype that every black superhero was either in prison or the army? Seems they managed to hit both those pretty well with Luke Cage, and I still like their take on him, but it wasn't the most groundbreaking interpretation.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hollismason posted:

Nah if they are willing to make a CGI accurate version of Lockjaw then they are probably not going the grounded realistic route, if anything its going to be more like AOS which does more fantastical stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Eh, isn't the stereotype that every black superhero was either in prison or the army? Seems they managed to hit both those pretty well with Luke Cage, and I still like their take on him, but it wasn't the most groundbreaking interpretation.

Luke Cage has always been more of a wall breaking kind of hero anyway.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What's the time table for DD season 3? After Defenders I presume? Any pot details at all? I assume they're doing some variation on Born Again. After JJ, Cage and IF, I'm ready to get back my favorite.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

5 episodes in and... this really needs way more magic kung fu shenanigans. Still liking it better than Luke Cage / Jessica Jones, but all of these are just so slow, and for them supposedly being superhero shows not all that much superheroing actually happens, which I think is a shame.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

BiggerBoat posted:

What's the time table for DD season 3? After Defenders I presume? Any pot details at all? I assume they're doing some variation on Born Again. After JJ, Cage and IF, I'm ready to get back my favorite.

I think we are getting a season of punisher after defenders, then DD S3.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
For a Buddhist, this dude seems pretty hung up on the ownership of this company.

This teenage dojo master is really bad at stage fighting

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 4, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

nickmeister posted:

Yes, that's a good question.

No doubt the showrunners had a compelling explanation in mind when they wrote that scene. No doubt.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Everything bad which had happened to her was after Danny returned therefore Danny was to blame for everything bad which happened to her.

Literally the argument Danny's old friend was making to her.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Iron Fist gets a lot more enjoyable when viewed through the same lens as Newspaper Spider-Man

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Miguel Prado posted:

I think we are getting a season of punisher after defenders, then DD S3.

Shouldn't the second season of JJ be next up after Punisher?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gorilla Salad posted:

Everything bad which had happened to her was after Danny returned therefore Danny was to blame for everything bad which happened to her.

Literally the argument Danny's old friend was making to her.

I do like that the pitch is that the last couple or three days haven't been great, why don't we kill Danny about it?

Remember that before Danny her parents were dead along with her surrogate uncle and his family. Then Danny comes back and everything is the same until something like last Friday. That's when the board made a power play that lasted for all of 30 hours or so, followed by her dead dad being back in her life. Then a couple days later her dad's associates shot her and then while she was in the hospital her brother killed their dad.

That goddamn Danny Rand :argh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

howe_sam posted:

Shouldn't the second season of JJ be next up after Punisher?

I'm a little bummed about season 2 of JJ. Tennant was so instrumental in making the show what it was and his absence is gonna sting. I halfway hope they can find a way to keep him around (taunting voices in JJ's head, I dunno.)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Iron Fist gets a lot more enjoyable when viewed through the same lens as Newspaper Spider-Man

Now I'm disappointed Danny didn't get beaned with a brick.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This didn't make it to the Netflix thread for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ostYFNFjhJ4

http://nybulletin.com/

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

ufarn posted:

I was just about to post that, if only for all the talk of how Matt took Danny's look and having it shown off right in that little video.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Also: forgot to say the date is August 18.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ufarn posted:

My reaction: finally, now that Danny has a mask we might get some good fight sce- oh wait that's Matt.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, whose shirt did Matt steal for his makeshift mask?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hope it was Frank Castle's

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Snak posted:

I hope it was Frank Castle's

I hope it was Karen Page's

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In terms of the Netflix characters I find it unrealistic that JJ would hang out with Danny Rand for more than 0 seconds.

Especially when one of those two people can super punch holes through people that annoy them, and the other is Danny Rand who of course cannot because reasons.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
A man named Iron Fist actually has like the 5th and 8th weakest fists in that elevator. Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/davechensky/status/849280267332145153

https://twitter.com/davechensky/status/849280657549164544