Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

Can't shieldwall without a shield

Shields are bad like spears once you reach a certain point. If we are talking end game ya gently caress shields on your supermen. Only fresh meat gets shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Snatch Duster posted:

Wrong. Greatswords, great warhammers, and warscythes are the best for every enemy type.

This is fairly correct actually. Though there are alternate builds which still work well, you will be effective vs all enemy types if you just spam greatswords and 2h hammers.

The big problem with shields is that the ranged AI will just focus your guy with the least ranged defense so unless you have shields on literally all of your front line they're actually not all that effective at preventing you from being hit. And having +15 melee defense isn't that great when your units get to a base of 30+ mdef and have RA.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I think you usually get more single target damage using 1h weapons? You get to strike twice after all.

Unless you have a crypt cleaver on your dedicated 2hander bro which means flying heads EVERYWHERE

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

I think you usually get more single target damage using 1h weapons? You get to strike twice after all.

Unless you have a crypt cleaver on your dedicated 2hander bro which means flying heads EVERYWHERE
Even for single target damage, I think 2h has a slight edge. 1handers to get 2 chances to hit, though, which I guess might give them a slight advantage, in theory. If you spec for Duelist you'll deffo outshine 2handers in 1-on-1 fights, but you're losing out on the defense provided by RA or shields, so that's pretty dangerous!

...unless you're leatherface wearing your nice set of davkuls, I guess!! You could probably run a super effective dodge/nimble/battle forged/duelist with that stuff on. 18 fatigue for the full set of armor. Crazy 2h axe murderer would still probably be more effective for crowds tho.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 4, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
2h can still attack twice if they have berserker, which will do more than 3 1h attacks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My two handed axe murderer hedge knight has more than twice as many kills as he's been in fights, while my two handed swordsmen have much smaller ratios. Sometimes the axe guy gets 6 kills a map, but while they don't always land the kills, the two handed swordsmen are invaluable for their ability to use Split and gently caress up those guys who think they're safe behind the shieldmen.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Here's a question nobody has answered yet. 2H axes hit both the body and head.

Do they do this at the same time or in an order? If the head gets hit first and it kills the guy, does the armour survive? Vice versa? Does it apply damage to both anyway?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know I've seen it pop up an injury icon even though the axeblow kills the man, which I suspect means it goes head hit, body hit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It is really unclear from the combat log, so I wish I could tell you!

Like, the log will report that you've gotten morale boosts for killing fools before it tells you who dies or how much damage you did.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
http://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/562228989153556620

quote:

Changelog
  • Added map seed that can be entered upon starting a new campaign, and seen for ongoing campaigns created after this update, for replaying and sharing maps.
  • Added checkbox for 'Permanent Destruction' during late game crises when starting a new campaign. It's checked by default to work how you're used to. Unchecking it will result in settlements getting the 'Razed' situation for a considerable time instead of being permanently destroyed.
  • Added warning prompt for users of Avast due to compatibility issues introduced with one of their latest updates.
  • Changed game to unpause only after autosaving is completed when leaving towns in ironman mode, so no time on the worldmap is wasted.
  • Fixed issue with the game potentially hanging in some cases as characters rise from the dead during the Undead Scourge.
  • Fixed AI not using the 'Footwork' skill properly in some cases.
  • Fixed issue with 'Decisive Battle' contract.
  • Fixed issue with 'Privateering' contract.
  • Fixed various minor issues

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

quote:

Fixed AI not using the 'Footwork' skill properly in some cases.
I wonder if this means the thing where goblins will waste their turns footworking away from someone, stepping back in and footworking away again. It's amusing but probably needs fixing, yeah. :v:

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
Man, after being knee deep in the dead for several weeks, the first time I got to fight some brigands again I was like giddy, all grinning setting up my line and giving dudes bows again, and holy crap yes seeing some dudes in worn chain across the way instead of a line of skellies and another line behind them

Also the rate of uniques has definitely been cranked way down, though I did take a break from around the perk update to full release. Knocking over settlements usually does have a sellable item or two to almost make it as profitable as a weak contract, but lack of uniques there and none in shops has been a big changeup from what I remember. Did get another use for a historian though, on the "find a powerful artifact" undead mission he noted that the original target location (as soon as we were there (after two days of marching)) was incorrect, and actually the map said another nearby fort. Assuming without him it'd be a useless battle before you find the right one?

welwala harris fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 4, 2017

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I realize the update just dropped, but if anyone has a seed that isn't a snaky, mountainous, swampy mess, please share.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

moldovan scullery posted:

Man, after being knee deep in the dead for several weeks, the first time I got to fight some brigands again I was like giddy, all grinning setting up my line and giving dudes bows again, and holy crap yes seeing some dudes in worn chain across the way instead of a line of skellies and another line behind them

Also the rate of uniques has definitely been cranked way down, though I did take a break from around the perk update to full release. Knocking over settlements usually does have a sellable item or two to almost make it as profitable as a weak contract, but lack of uniques there and none in shops has been a big changeup from what I remember. Did get another use for a historian though, on the "find a powerful artifact" undead mission he noted that the original target location (as soon as we were there (after two days of marching)) was incorrect, and actually the map said another nearby fort. Assuming without him it'd be a useless battle before you find the right one?

I have reached day 140 and so far only seen, much less acquired, about four unique items. I have a mail that cost me all my money at the time, a pike, and recently got a rather garbage leather outfit for bumping off a goblin shaman, and seen a mace available in the shop that's, again, wildly overpriced and barely useful. I kind of wish they'd throw us more uniques more often.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I have very definite Map Opinions

Things I look for in a map:

1) 5+ ports distributed across the map
2) cities arranged in nice convenient loops along road networks
3) lots of them big market cities
4) optional: lots of coastline it all the orc/goblin areas in a corner or on one side

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

marshmallow creep posted:

I have reached day 140 and so far only seen, much less acquired, about four unique items. I have a mail that cost me all my money at the time, a pike, and recently got a rather garbage leather outfit for bumping off a goblin shaman, and seen a mace available in the shop that's, again, wildly overpriced and barely useful. I kind of wish they'd throw us more uniques more often.

You have to really hunt them down. It's easier in non ironman because you can keep re asking in taverns.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You have to really hunt them down. It's easier in non ironman because you can keep re asking in taverns.

That is an aspect of the game I underuse, I suppose. Do you know if the item is generated at the time you ask or is it already there and the game just alerts you to it if you ask at the tavern?

Though that reminds me: If you have the ambition to find locations and take contracts to smash bandit/goblin/orc camps and undead graveyards, they all count towards meeting the ambition.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

marshmallow creep posted:

That is an aspect of the game I underuse, I suppose. Do you know if the item is generated at the time you ask or is it already there and the game just alerts you to it if you ask at the tavern?

Though that reminds me: If you have the ambition to find locations and take contracts to smash bandit/goblin/orc camps and undead graveyards, they all count towards meeting the ambition.

It seems to be there in the world and the tavern just hits it if present, but it's hard to detect and vague. Look for the tavern text that specifically mentions an "item" or "weapon" etc. You have to triangulate so it's hard if the item spawns away from any taverns.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

ShootaBoy posted:

Name him Gheistbane.

GlyphGryph posted:

Name him Buster.
I went with Anton the Unspooked in the end.
One of my favorites along with Sorrel the Beaten Dog, the pessimistic yet loyal houndmaster who was my first merc to ever suffer a permanent injury.

Of course now that the new patch is out I'll restart because permanently losing settlements doesn't sound like fun, especially when you stick with a playthrough for multiple crises.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

You also gotta consider synergies. For example, a frontline staggered with polearms on your low accuracy dudes and spears on your highest accuracy dudes means you can pour out tons of damage with melee attacks before the enemy ever has a chance to strike back.

You may say axes destroying shields are wasted turns - but if you combine them with dagger wielders, removing the shield bonus let's you avoid armor a lot more consistently.

1h Swords are great on dudes that also have hammers. Use the hammer to destroy the armor, and then switch to the sword to chew through their health. (Swords also have the best fatigue per damage ratio, you can attack twice per turn with them and RECOVER a point of fatigue if you have the mastery)

Maces have the stun ability which is just really great, and even their normal attack is good at disabling enemies. Unlike other weapons, Maces synergize best with more maces! You really need their master to use them reliably though, since it grants 100% stun and allows them to cause more fatigue to the enemy than they cost your dudes.

Getting back to this, yeah, this is what I feel like I need to figure out: which set of tactics to use against which enemies, etc.

Flails work great against Noble war enemies.

The spear/pike wall seems like it would work best against undead? Maybe orcs?

Warhammer and . . . I guess cleavers and swords vs orcs?

Maces seem like also an anti orc weapon mostly?

I feel like in a group of twenty dudes, I have room for about four to six back liners (mostly bows, maybe two banner/pike/xbow dudes), about four to six two hander users (do far I prefer greatswords, maybe two hammerers for flanks), and that leaves 8 to 12 shieldwall guy slots I'm never quite sure how to specialize.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Maces work well against all enemies. Undead can be stunned, orcs can be exhausted, bandits and nobles can be both.

I also like to still use two spears into the end game, because I like... funneling, I guess is the word?

So my frontline looks like:

S - Spear/Dagger Dudes
P - Polearm(preferably WarScythe or Longaxe)/GreatSword Dudes (for that two tile deep attack)
F - My main frontliner dudes. Mace/Dagger dudes are common but I've played with different setups depending on the enemies.

SPSFFFSPS

or, if I don't need my archers I can let the enemy move in between the two polearm dudes who can then Split them.

SPPSFFFSPPS

As the battle progresses, the spear dudes will actually move forward to encircle the enemy a bit at the first opportunity.

Giving my two-handers polearms means that with berserk and reach advantage can be used at range which is great, imo.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Getting back to this, yeah, this is what I feel like I need to figure out: which set of tactics to use against which enemies, etc.

Flails work great against Noble war enemies.

The spear/pike wall seems like it would work best against undead? Maybe orcs?

Warhammer and . . . I guess cleavers and swords vs orcs?

Maces seem like also an anti orc weapon mostly?

I feel like in a group of twenty dudes, I have room for about four to six back liners (mostly bows, maybe two banner/pike/xbow dudes), about four to six two hander users (do far I prefer greatswords, maybe two hammerers for flanks), and that leaves 8 to 12 shieldwall guy slots I'm never quite sure how to specialize.
warhammers work pretty well against noble house troops too. all that armor goes byebye fast

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Map seed also determines starting brothers' traits. There's a thread on the Steam forums if you want to enjoy having actually useful brothers with iron lungs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RabidWeasel posted:

Map seed also determines starting brothers' traits. There's a thread on the Steam forums if you want to enjoy having actually useful brothers with iron lungs.

Oh god I'm gonna generate a shitload of seeds again aren't I?

Need iron lung on the two hander guy and quick/eagle on the archer plus five ports!

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Seed no. 6 has both melee bros start with survivor :eyepop:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Can you pull seeds from old saves?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Best-looking one I rolled so far:

Kampstadt, Stohl, Grotenhoom and Blankwasser have harbors. Sturmfeste has one that's in ruins, I don't know if it's going to be rebuilt.
Little risk of contracts sending you to the other side of a river you can't cross or bullshit like that. Lots of mountain ranges, though.
Kampstadt and Thalstadt are big trading hubs.
I guess Heldenburg is a bit annoying to get to, and Subingen will burn.

Archer and axe bro look pretty good:

6379eb

e: I started going through repdigits because why not? Seed 11 has all the harbors you'll ever need but apart from that, ehhh. 22 is sheer misery but gives you amazing melee bros. 33 gives you great bros and an acceptable map.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 4, 2017

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Has anyone had any luck hex editing their brothers? I tried to follow the guide on steam but when I load up my saves they look nothing like his.

http://imgur.com/a/Hri80

I assume I'm just being stupid, but does anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Wizard Styles posted:

Best-looking one I rolled so far:

Kampstadt, Stohl, Grotenhoom and Blankwasser have harbors. Sturmfeste has one that's in ruins, I don't know if it's going to be rebuilt.
Little risk of contracts sending you to the other side of a river you can't cross or bullshit like that. Lots of mountain ranges, though.
Kampstadt and Thalstadt are big trading hubs.
I guess Heldenburg is a bit annoying to get to, and Subingen will burn.

Archer and axe bro look pretty good:

6379eb

e: I started going through repdigits because why not? Seed 11 has all the harbors you'll ever need but apart from that, ehhh. 22 is sheer misery but gives you amazing melee bros. 33 gives you great bros and an acceptable map.

good seed right here

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well, here's your guy's stats, for one:

A good landmark for those is the first 09 digit after 68 75 6D 61 6E ("human"), since that'll always be your ap. The stats always follow the order listed.

Edit: added level and perk points. Level is gonna be that lonely 01 (or whatever his level actually is) after your guys name field. Unused perk points is the one directly after that. If you want to start with, I dunno, 10 perks, just change the 00 to 0A. I might use this to give my guys perks every 2 or 3 levels after 11, just for kicks. Maybe. Who knows.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 4, 2017

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Soup du Journey posted:

Well, here's your guy's stats, for one:

A good landmark for those is the first 09 digit after 68 75 6D 61 6E ("human"), since that'll always be your ap. The stats always follow the order listed.

Thanks, I guess the giant background text block was too confusing for me. Like I said, stupid. :downs:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I used an editor called FlexHex that was a free download.

One thing: changing the dude's stars by that guide isn't helpful because it seems all the values are rolled loong before for each levellup, like at character creation.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You can also use a hex editor to clone your gear by studious use of naked saves and clothed saves. It'll involve some precise cut/pasting, but at the end of the day you can deck everyone out in the Emperor's Armor for a full squad of Glitter Boys. You could also all be Davkuls.

That is of course extremely ill-advised. A better use might be cloning the Fangshire helm (if you bought the supporter edition or whatever it's called) for an interesting take on the early game. If I ever buy that DLC I might start an Expert run, give everyone Fangshires, and go maximum night raider to get past the crazy bandit curve in early expert.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 4, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
32f44a is a good seed. Only four ports, all on the bottom half of the map, but starting bros:

shieldbro: brute, survivor
axebro: iron lungs, determined
bowbro: eagle eye, fearless

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Someone post a seed with 3 drunks ty.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

any seeds with gems? I've been reloading forever

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Gimme a seed with 3 drunks 3 iron lungs and gems. Also no swamps.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can you pull seeds from old saves?

Yup, hit "Esc"

e: Never mind, doesn't seem to work with old saves. Sorry :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You mean a town with a gem mine? That's a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

You mean a town with a gem mine? That's a thing?

yeah, they are the best trading good. Dye is second I think.