Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lurdiak posted:

Weirdly enough it seems most of the scanlations-level stuff is in the early game, so it makes a bad first impression and then gets better translated as it goes on. It'd be nice if they patched it, but I don't know if Atlus is the kinda company that does that kinda thing.

They do patch their games, but they rarely do so, or they patch the game long after people have stopped caring about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish I had 'live an honest life' in the upper right of my vision at all times

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

But soft, what light through yonder anime breaks? Tis the far east, and Persona is the rising sun!

this is orientalism :colbert:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
At least they didn't translate Morgana's persona as Zolo

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

an actual dog posted:

Miku is a branded voice for a singing voice synthesizer called Vocaloid. Anyone with the software can make something that sounds like Miku, and there's Miku 3D models out there if you want to make like music videos and stuff.

It's a combination instrument and internet meme.

Late to the Miku talk but Miku owns because you can use the software to make stuff like this:

:siren::siren::siren: Watch your volume/headphones before you click! :siren::siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pqtOm9pvbo

Not gonna be everyone's cup of tea and I'm sure I will be added to Ignore lists for this but gently caress it :justpost: Also on the subject of artists getting paid for using a Vocoloid: I believe as long as it's your own original work, you can make an original album and sell it as long and you bought the Vocoloid software. If you make a cover of a song using it and you want to sell it, then it turns into a legal mire but I guess that's true no matter what. Then again I'm no lawyer.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The next video is great too. Especially if you read the video descriptions.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

translation talk drives everyone insane for some reason

e: cherrypicking overreactions to obviate criticism is weak poo poo tho

To be fair, cherry-picking some bad text and using it as an example why game is bad is dumb. Like if I linked Mipha's voice acting in BOTW and said "this is bad trash" I'd be right but if I plastered it all over social media, it'd be clear I sort of irrationally hating on a new popular game since that is such a minor thing in a much bigger game.

By all accounts, these bad bits are a tiny part of a huge text corpus that is 99.9% well-done, at least according to people who play the game.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm 5 hours in and the translation is good. I'm using Japanese voices for now

Your uncle or landlord or whatever is such a dick

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm unironically loving some of the forceful instructions P5 gives you.

"Obediently go back home!"

"Live a normal school life!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

bloodychill posted:

To be fair, cherry-picking some bad text and using it as an example why game is bad is dumb. Like if I linked Mipha's voice acting in BOTW and said "this is bad trash" I'd be right but if I plastered it all over social media, it'd be clear I sort of irrationally hating on a new popular game since that is such a minor thing in a much bigger game.

By all accounts, these bad bits are a tiny part of a huge text corpus that is 99.9% well-done, at least according to people who play the game.

I haven't really seen anybody trashing the game itself though, mostly just J-E translators critiquing the loc job

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it time for a "10/10 means a game must be literally perfect" vs. "no it doesn't" argument again already?

bloodychill posted:

Even the person tweeting these examples says that they're the worst of it and it gets better after the prologue in the replies to that tweet. They even call out one of the characters as being written very well. I really think this is an example of a few bad lines being unfortunately clustered together and sending the impression it's worse than it is.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 4, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I give the English in P5 a 5/7. It's up to you whether that's perfect or not.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

tap my mountain posted:

They should just give up on jrpg garbage and only publish western games. I mean what was the last jrpg that anybody actually liked?

Ff15 is fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

I'm 5 hours in and the translation is good. I'm using Japanese voices for now

Your uncle or landlord or whatever is such a dick

Someone mentioned that he's basically Rusty Venture and that seems so perfect

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Someone mentioned that he's basically Rusty Venture and that seems so perfect

Jesus, I can hear "I don't have room for men's numbers in my phone" in the Rusty Venture voice.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:siren: VIDEOGAMES, please change thread title to "buy dragon quest heroes 2 on 4/25 and play it online with me!"

Free demo on psn

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 4, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
A solid 🔷 out of 🔴 imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

They should just give up on jrpg garbage and only publish western games. I mean what was the last jrpg that anybody actually liked?

It's looking like Persona 5, but, well, that doesn't exactly help Square-Enix.

Here's hoping they don't gently caress up Dragon Quest XI.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I give it a Buy It If You're Into That Sort of Thing and I'll stand by that

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yuji Hori's original Dragon Quest concept art vs. Akira Toriyama's promotional art. It's so delightful that I don't have the patience to wait for this week's inevitable "what is anime" argument to post it.

precision posted:

William Gibson predicted people wanting to marry virtual pop stars all the way back in Idoru which was like 1996

drat it's almost like every modern moral panic about technology is just the exact same fears humanity has always had for as long as it has existed or something.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 4, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

I give it a Buy It If You're Into That Sort of Thing and I'll stand by that

Persona 5 does nothing for me, glhf to all goons who are.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

They somehow turned around a failing MMO and the Drakengard series into a million-shipper, I think they're fine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Dragon quest XI is going be the next instant classic in the long running line of dragon quest rpgs.
It will have the most deviously desgined unskippable jingles and bad menus to ensure that your play time is an impressive number no matter how much end game you play.
It will have cute characters and a simple plot about friendship and heinous evil and the funny parts will be funny.
You will need to grind levels every so often in your play through

its gonna be loving great times.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

When did this

become hotter than this?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

drat it's almost like every modern moral panic about technology is just the exact same fears humanity has always had for as long as it has existed or something.

Ya technology has never affected society in a negative way or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL9BjKH5MSY

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

drat, he just can't not draw Goku

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm not racist but all animes look the same to me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Franchescanado posted:

drat, he just can't not draw Goku

if i invented goku and muddafucking piccolo i would make them the star of everything too.

DQ5 stars goku dressed like piccolo and its pretty special

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how many japanese people have come up with a mole with a drill for a nose

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

When did this

become hotter than this?

Next time I piss somebody off enough for them to buy me an avatar, please make it this guy.

oddium posted:

The diggles were the only aesthetically pleasing thing to come out of Dungeons of Dredmor, it makes me sad to see that it wasn't even original.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

The diggles were the only aesthetically pleasing thing to come out of Dungeons of Dredmor, it makes me sad to see that it wasn't even original.

Huh, I wonder what a diggle is...

Oh...Oh no...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

oddium posted:

I thought that was a real thing

Next you're gonna tell me they don't wear sunglasses

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

I know. Disappointing when there's a clearly superior mechanical digging mole

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I like that there is DLC for Drawn to Death that turns all the characters into Kratos. It's not even a "Everyone gets a specialized costume of someone from God of War" type of deal, everyone literally gets a Kratos and Kratos only costume.

I can respect that honesty from something.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Franchescanado posted:

Huh, I wonder what a diggle is...

Oh...Oh no...

Yeah they're great.

:3:

e.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah they're great.

:3:

e.

:tutbutt:Dat booty, doe.:tutbutt:

Hey, finally a PSN month where I actually want all the games!

(I missed out on all the Double Fine games. :()

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

None of these games deserve these scores. Games journalism is dead. Sony won and now everybody plays either anime or witcher 3 derivatives

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Fingers crosssd for the Xbox one X to bring back masculine adult first person shooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

Fingers crosssd for the Xbox one X to bring back masculine adult first person shooters

True, such masculine games as Project Spark and completely non-anime games like Recore and Scalebound will surely save us all.

• Locked thread