Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Franchescanado posted:

Pet Semetary is great because it's pretty much a sequel to The Shining. Instead of the addiction on the surface manifested in Jack's alcoholism and anger issues, Pet Semetary concentrates on destroying the nuclear family in the tradition of The American Dream and the addiction is manifested as bringing creatures back to life and trying to tell God to gently caress off in your grief. In The Shining, Jack's just an alcoholic because his dad's an alcoholic. In Pet Semetary, Louis turns to addiction as a solution to his dissillusionment with his family life, career, and then eventually his grief.

Pet Semetary is incredibly tightly written for being close to 600 pages. Every section ties into a theme of Addiction, Grief, Death and/or how it compromises The Traditional American Dream

Come to think of it, he *did* say one of the inspirations for the Shining was his occasional urge to beat the everloving poo poo out of his kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I thought the climactic scene in IT would have worked better if the monster had just been straight-up killed by the placebo asthma medicine. That seemed like a really fitting way to kill a psychic monster that’s powered by belief, and it just felt really forced and awkward that Bill (the self-inserty horror novelist, no less) was the big hero destined to land the killing blow on the monster.

Steamed Hams
Jul 31, 2007

Ayo, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss.
I finished End of Watch last week. Don't get me wrong, it's very enjoyable and an easy read, but I didn't think it was quite up to his recent high standards. A pretty short book for King as well. I may be wrong but I believe there was literally no mention of the woman (Janey, had to look it up) that Hodges was dating and that Brady killed. Not that he needed more motivation to hate Brady, but still I thought that should have some bearing on the plot.

Also I went straight from End of Watch to NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and the opening scene of NOS4A2 also has a brutal murderer who is now a gork, but wakes up when there's only one nurse around to witness this.... It's really good, 100 pages in at least.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My recollection of IT's ending is admittedly hazy, mostly because the ending seems to go a little off the rails compared to the rest of the book that I always feel like I'm misremembering parts that actually happened, but it strikes me as working symbolically and thematically but strays too far from reality and that's why it's unsatisfying. When you change the rules that much at the last second it feels like you're cheating.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

dirksteadfast posted:

My recollection of IT's ending is admittedly hazy, mostly because the ending seems to go a little off the rails compared to the rest of the book that I always feel like I'm misremembering parts that actually happened, but it strikes me as working symbolically and thematically but strays too far from reality and that's why it's unsatisfying. When you change the rules that much at the last second it feels like you're cheating.

I think King was aware of that, at least in some way. When he has the Turtle say "When you get into cosmological poo poo like this, you got to throw away the instruction manual" I'm pretty sure that was him throwing up his hands and letting the story go where it wanted to. The last hundred pages are a real acid trip. :catdrugs:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
wow, every movie is gonna turn out good!

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/849248119485288448

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I spent probably an hour talking about King's novels with my 13-year old yesterday. He saw my collection and was asking me all kinds of questions.

It's obvious he wants to read some of them.

What are your suggestions for the best King novel to start with for a 13-year-old boy?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Long Walk

Lemon
May 22, 2003

IT. Make or break.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Says the guy that didn't like the Shining movie.

ConfusedUs posted:

I spent probably an hour talking about King's novels with my 13-year old yesterday. He saw my collection and was asking me all kinds of questions.

What are your suggestions for the best King novel to start with for a 13-year-old boy?

The normal books to start anyone with. It. The Stand. I read those when I was 12 or 13.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Start with the Four past midnight compilation.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

IT was a serious suggestion, but I'd also recommend Nightmares & Dreamscapes and Skeleton Crew. These were pretty much the first three Stephen King books I read in that order at that age and hooked me completely.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Start with Night Shift.

Worked for me when I was his age. There's so much in there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Guys, it's 2017 and you're asking a dad to give his 13 year old son a 1200 pg novel from the 1980's that ends in a teenage gangbang.

Like, IT is great, but let's be realistic with what a modern teenager will like as a horror book coming from his dad.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Serious answer here, The Talisman. Way back when that was the first King book that my mom gave me, and it really was perfect.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ConfusedUs posted:

Cujo, Carrie, The Gunslinger?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IT

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Franchescanado posted:

The Long Walk

My first king book.

"Mom, what's a carbine? Oh... ok."

"Mom what's an enema?"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Franchescanado posted:

Guys, it's 2017 and you're asking a dad to give his 13 year old son a 1200 pg novel from the 1980's that ends in a teenage gangbang.

Like, IT is great, but let's be realistic with what a modern teenager will like as a horror book coming from his dad.

Kid has the internet and is in middle school. I'm not worried about those few pages in an otherwise amazing book. He's probably seen worse, and certainly heard it.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 5, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
It is a terrific read, but maybe start him off with The Shining or Misery?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

'Salem's Lot was my first King, that's what I'd suggest.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Any of the short story collections. King is at his best when he writes short fiction.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

The Long Walk

This, or The Running Man.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

USMC_Karl posted:

Serious answer here, The Talisman. Way back when that was the first King book that my mom gave me, and it really was perfect.

My mom just sort of offhandedly told me to try The Talisman when I was 13. My next King book she handed me was The Stand, later that year. The rest took care of itself.

You're the Constant Reader now, Jackie :getin:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Eyes of the Dragon or Girl who Loved Tom Gordon are YA but they're also not really typical King books.

Probably have to go with whoever said Talisman which is a great adventure story with some sufficient gross-out Kingisms to get 'em used to the novelty. Or like Casimir Radon said, Salem's Lot is a pretty straightforward horror romp.

Comedy option: Lisey's Story. He'll never ask about your King books again.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My mom just sort of offhandedly told me to try The Talisman when I was 13. My next King book she handed me was The Stand, later that year. The rest took care of itself.

You're the Constant Reader now, Jackie :getin:

Exactly how it worked for me. I remember being really freaked out by The Tailisman (mostly due to the work camp and also the weird weregoat dude) but also really touched by it (WOLF!) and, in my eyes at least, it is the perfect gateway into King. It touches on a lot of stuff he does really well and avoids stuff that he's only so/so at.

The Stand was just a constant mind-blow for middle-school me. I remember really hating Harold and Fran, but then actually feeling really sorry for Hawk.

It was my third King book, and then I made the mistake of diving into The Gunslinger. Too bad only 1-3 were out at that point.

tl;dr, The Tailisman was really good and Stephen King changed my life.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Short stories, imo. King is at his strongest in short fiction.

NIght Shift is probably my favorite, but Skeleton Crew is also p amazing. ladyfingers they taste just like ladyfingers

For longer books I would go with maybe The Running Man.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think Christine would be good for the kid.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I read The Talisman, like, last year and didn't really enjoy it. Probably would have had I read it as a kid.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Four Seasons? It includes Shawshank and Stand by Me.

I started with Carrie as a kid and then read whatever I could get my hands on at the local library.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I think The Shining or Christine would be a good choice. The Gunslinger would be great, but he may want to keep reading the rest of the series (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).

Or else something lovely. Chances are a 13 year old won't know poo poo from good anyway and will still want to read more regardless. The Dark Half?

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Depending on his personality, The Running Man might be a ton of fun for him for its shear anti-authoritarian angry Bachman style. Both it and Long Walk, which others have already suggested, are definitely fun reads.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Specifically, The Moving Finger.

:devil:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Eye of the Dragon, Talisman, and then The Stand (original). Don't warn him about the King Multiverse and Flagg. Prepare for his mind to be blown.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Firestarter was my first King book and it's probably as close to an age appropriate book as you'll find for a 13 year old

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Has he seen many of King's movies? If not, Different Seasons would be a great place for a 13 year old to start IMO. A "scant" 500 pages for four novellas should keep their attention, I'd think. But I'm in the "King's at his best when he's writing short stories/novellas" camp.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The best thing King has written to give to a 13 year old will now and forever be The Langoliers

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

The best thing King has written to give to a 13 year old will now and forever be The Langoliers

Why do you think that?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I read Desperation as my first King book around that age and loved it.

Eyes of the Dragon is fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Don't warn him about the King Multiverse and Flagg. Prepare for his mind to be blown.

oh man. I remember reading Insomnia when it first came out and the ending was all "WOAH HOLY poo poo" to my stupid 15-year-old self.