Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Please only become friends with the Persona 5 cast in maximum resolution available tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All praise be to my friend the games mod, Video Games

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is a powerful title

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Norns posted:

What's the MC canonical name?

shaggy rogers

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

along with the thief group name being Scooby&TGang.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 4, 2017

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Captain Baal posted:

Kamoshida's voice is the only so far I will say is outright better than the JP voice, DC Douglas is just too good.

I don't even mind the voices (so far) outside of Igor. The change is just change and weird and whatever but it's like the VA was trying to learn English by taking this job.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Okay, Atlus, I get that nobody prints manuals anymore, but I'm not sure why I'd ever bother with buying a steelbox edition if there's literally NOTHING else to it but the disc and box. My shelf is already pretty fly.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If I switch the voices to Japanese can I upload it and just claim I did a subtitle job?

I mean they don't care about japanese uploads as far as I can tell so hey

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mailer posted:

I don't even mind the voices (so far) outside of Igor. The change is just change and weird and whatever but it's like the VA was trying to learn English by taking this job.

Everyone sounds fine for the most part, Sojiro and Kamoshida are the only stands out to me for the most part. Ryuji sounds better than I was expecting but still kinda eh and the protagonist just sounds like rear end sometimes. It's not a terrible dub, it's mostly just kinda... lame? I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If I switch the voices to Japanese can I upload it and just claim I did a subtitle job?

I mean they don't care about japanese uploads as far as I can tell so hey

Oooh yes they do. They slammed my account when I posted Japanese videos. I think they eased off after a few months but they did this same poo poo at release.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Voted this thread a 1 due to thread title

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Oooh yes they do. They slammed my account when I posted Japanese videos. I think they eased off after a few months but they did this same poo poo at release.

Lol my vids are somehow still up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ObmFE4XfQ

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Flagged, criminal

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'll never get over how they say "Ann". Like I know it's a legit pronunciation, but I've never sincerely heard it said that way

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

Flagged, criminal

gently caress

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

i'll never get over how they say "Ann". Like I know it's a legit pronunciation, but I've never sincerely heard it said that way

it drives me nuts, arr

I think ann and ryoji might be my favorite versions of their character role VS p3 and p4 tho (the default girlfriend and main character's bro)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Cesar Romero reporting in.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I haven't fallen in love with Ryuji yet, but I'm only on 4/14. Tho the scene with you and him at the ramen shop was real good for Persona Best Friend Scenes.

Ann's only just started to enter the story for me, but she seems p. good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

wizard on a water slide posted:

it drives me nuts, arr

I think ann and ryoji might be my favorite versions of their character role VS p3 and p4 tho (the default girlfriend and main character's bro)

Ann is definitely not the default girlfriend as the story progresses.

Ryuji, yeah he kinda is still.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

I had a thumbnail that said FIGHT VS THE TRAITOR (HD/ENGLISH SUBS) a couple months before launch so I just kinda assumed they didn't care.

Just thankful that the thumbnail was promo art to hide the actual spoiler.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's me, I'm the vulgar boy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryuji is the best Persona bro solely because of his violent hatred of Kamoshida. Since like, hell same.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I had a thumbnail that said FIGHT VS THE TRAITOR (HD/ENGLISH SUBS) a couple months before launch so I just kinda assumed they didn't care.

Just thankful that the thumbnail was promo art to hide the actual spoiler.

I was trying to find vids of a performance from a VA later in the game for a friend to watch and I had to go to dailymotion to find it because Youtube had policed poo poo so hard it was almost impossible to find footage

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

quote:

This being a Japanese title with a single-playthrough story means our masters in Japan are very wary about it.

quote:

our masters in Japan

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I'm OCD about different things than everyone else because I doubt I'm capable of ever doing a one-day Palace unless I spoil myself on how many Lockpicks I need beforehand. I could've kept going in the first one but after finding a SECOND locked chest (after the one you're guaranteed to have a lockpick for) my treasure instincts wouldn't let me go further. Gotta open all treasure chests even if the loot is bad, gotta do it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tae posted:

I took one look at that twitter and he changed "rape" in the official translation to "very loud man." Uh....

https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/849278706665177089

:iiam:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Regarding this, there's some sort of pronunciation rules when it comes to Japanese words. You're supposed to put the right emphasis on the right syllables, and it's very context-specific. For example, the words for "bridge" and "chopsticks" are written in the exact same way, use the same kana, are pronounced identically, but have different points of emphasis. It's a subtle and kind of arbitrary thing and I sympathize when it comes to trying to pronounce Japanese words.

It sure as hell is confusing, though. I never ended up finding a guide to it...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/moogy0/status/849180450358775808

exaggerations like this are part of why it's impossible to criticize a translation, lol. the tl's definitely stiff and worth criticizing but calling it 'nigh-unreadable gibberish' is just sheer hyperbole that makes everyone draw lines in the sand.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
How do you fix the Japanese Audio not being....music tracks for every voice?...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MoaM posted:

are you in EU too? another guy in the thread mentioned that in his EU version, so maybe there's something up with the version they put on EU psn

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MoaM posted:

God loving dammit I have never hated the fact that you can't put up video of the game more than I hate it right now. I must see this in action.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MoaM posted:

Laughing like a maniac on the train home now everyone thinks I'm a terrorist thanks

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's great that weebs and amateur translators get their yearly game of "Pay attention, I can speak the japanese and cherry pick the poo poo out of a localization!"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

exaggerations like this are part of why it's impossible to criticize a translation, lol. the tl's definitely stiff and worth criticizing but calling it 'nigh-unreadable gibberish' is just sheer hyperbole that makes everyone draw lines in the sand.

i have a long history of thinking people griping about "totally incomprehensible" or "gibberish" translations were often just kind of dumb people who were bad at reading critically or understanding/parsing unusual sentences, things written by non-native speakers, etc

this does nothing to deter that thinking on my part

EDIT: like in other words the weeb bitching is coming from people who may be trying to impress you with their knowledge of japanese, but end up inadvertently revealing that they're worse at english (or reading comprehension) than the translators

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 4, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
This is still the stupidest bullshit

https://twitter.com/verdelishJP/status/849144222972231680

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Endorph posted:

are you in EU too? another guy in the thread mentioned that in his EU version, so maybe there's something up with the version they put on EU psn

No, I'm in Canada.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it feels like every time there's some localization blow-up there's ten people prepared to show that they're worse at translating than the people they're criticizing

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Noooooo holy poo poo the new lines are even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MoaM posted:

No, I'm in Canada.
Huh, weird. Only suggestion is try redownloading the DLC and messing with it. It seems pretty glitchy, some friends of mine had to mess with it for a while to get it working.