Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Frush posted:

This was a big problem in Destiny as well. You had tiers of guns, which even had flavor text, but after you got your first blue? Say goodbye to all the greens. Repeat at purple and to a limited extent the yellows. Granted, Destiny was trying to be part MMO and that's somewhat the way they roll but even within a tier you had perks that would render the same gun garbage vs god-tier depending. And it basically still ended up with everyone using the same few guns. Though there in the competitive multiplayer you had the opposite problem, where victory was more related to stacking the good one hit kill weapons. Meta will always be a thing, but diversity within the meta is probably a good indicator of balance.

Honestly I think an example of it being well done was the M-7 Lancer in the ME3MP. It wasn't better than a lot of guns in terms of damage, but that infinite clip and light weight was fantastic, especially on the power classes. It was good (to me, subjectively) despite not being damage-wise the best in slot. In fact, looking back at the list of guns, many of them operated differently and had at least a brief moment in the sun.

You're right that in most cases the best guns are tied to rarity, but I think that the vertical progression is at least a bit necessary since you need to provide people with the incentive to get out of bronze and challenge themselves to get those larger credit rewards and the better guns. Even games like Call of Duty have a progression. The better question then, is assuming you get reasonable balance, what's the best incentive to get on that treadmill? A prestige system? Banners and callsigns?

Judging from other MP shooters on the market, literally anything is enough. Hats, prestige, gun skins, whatever. If the game is fun people will take any excuse to keep playing it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shumagorath posted:

I had two cobras hit a massive Kett pack and do zero damage too. I could have sworn ME3's instagib item was still a one-hit kill all the way to Platinum but I only played a few matches there.

It occasionally bugged out and did nothing but otherwise yeah it always instant killed, no matter what.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The only thing in this game that's actually annoyed me more than minorly is how it calls magazines clips. All the time, even if it refers to them as magazines elsewhere.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

PureRok posted:

The only thing in this game that's actually annoyed me more than minorly is how it calls magazines clips. All the time, even if it refers to them as magazines elsewhere.
I mean they aren't magazines though. Ever since ME2 they've been called thermal clips,

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's important to remember it isn't actually ammo, it just looks and acts exactly like ammo but is for cooling.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
cobra clips

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I mean they aren't magazines though. Ever since ME2 they've been called thermal clips,

That giant thing they pull out of the bottom of the gun is a magazine (most obvious one is on the Black Widow). They may put Thermal Clips in them, but it's still a magazine. The game even calls them that on some tooltips, but not others.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yeahhhh. Speaking of which. In ME2, you 'reloaded' by slapping your weapon and the old thermal clip flew out. In MEA, it looks more like battlefield 3/etc reloading. What's up with that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Clips and magazines are sometimes used interchangably (the terms, not the actual things) in the real world, it might not be *the right one* but people still know what you mean, goddammit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Yeahhhh. Speaking of which. In ME2, you 'reloaded' by slapping your weapon and the old thermal clip flew out. In MEA, it looks more like battlefield 3/etc reloading. What's up with that.

Indeed. I miss the cool ME2 animation of thwacking your gun because the clip is red-hot, you know, because of the thermal bit.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ambaire posted:

Some of them are really glaring, like shotguns clearly ejecting shell casings.

It might be an engine thing. They swapped from Unreal to Frostbite, after all.

Also re: Cobras, I'd be ok with them being how they are if lag didn't exist, but the game is unbearably laggy and there needs to be some way to compensate for enemy bullshit, especially since there can be more enemies in the map at any given time and guns suck more.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Skippy McPants posted:

Indeed. I miss the cool ME2 animation of thwacking your gun because the clip is red-hot, you know, because of the thermal bit.

Back when I was playing ME2, I was surprised they didn't have some sort of external cooling rack you could put on your armor to recycle hot thermal clips. Let em cool down, reuse em.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Only thing that truly sucks is when two Destroyers spawn basically side by side. Ascendants don't do that poo poo at least.
Did you not play the special strike-team mission with the Boss Assassination objective? It spawned two Ascendants right next to each other, and one of them was an assassination target. Pugging that was not fun, even with a level 20/X human vanguard.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd imagine that Kett are a bummer in general for Vanguards on account of sync kills making melee a fools gambit. At least the Ascendant has that short windup so you have a chance to dodge, but with the Fiend it's just oops, you're dead now!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Some guy over on Reddit did some testing and the shotgun smart choke mod does literally nothing. Wonder how many other weapon mods are bugged and if any of them will get fixed thursday.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Back when I was playing ME2, I was surprised they didn't have some sort of external cooling rack you could put on your armor to recycle hot thermal clips. Let em cool down, reuse em.

The sheer amount of heat pumped into them A) takes too long to dissipate to make that feasible, and B) I believe is explained in-game as warping the synthetic diamond used for it, so they have to be collected and reprocessed somehow or other.

Or, this being a post-scarcity society, synth-diamond is so dirt cheap to make that they can literally make millions of thermal clips and just leave the spent ones laying around.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Some guy over on Reddit did some testing and the shotgun smart choke mod does literally nothing. Wonder how many other weapon mods are bugged and if any of them will get fixed thursday.
OH. That would explain a lot of the issues with shotguns.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd imagine that Kett are a bummer in general for Vanguards on account of sync kills making melee a fools gambit. At least the Ascendant has that short windup so you have a chance to dodge, but with the Fiend it's just oops, you're dead now!
Yeah, they are. Ascendants can be worked around, but Fiends are often completely silent and have a tendency to teleport around the map if there's any lag at all. When I'm farming golds with a vanguard I stick to outlaws. Kett have sync kills, and remnant have observers which are annoying to melee.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Clips and magazines are sometimes used interchangably (the terms, not the actual things) in the real world, it might not be *the right one* but people still know what you mean, goddammit.

Yes but that will never stop pedants from doing an 'Actually..' on you every time.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

If they nerf snipers instead of buffing everything else I will poo poo my britches

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

I charged and melee'd down an Ascendant earlier today but wouldn't recommend it. Meanwhile I had a Fiend rubber-band after me to predictable results in the same match. Still easier to deal with than the Remnant boss, though smashing Nullifiers point blank almost makes up for it.

Ambaire posted:

I think DICE took over weapon sounds and animations for ME3 to great effect. ME3 had so many good guns I was very happy my Shepard was a Solider so I could just slap ammo powers on and never care about my insane cooldowns. Typhoon, Crusader, Hurrican, Javelin, Crusader... it's hard to pick a favourite.

Gadzuko posted:

Judging from other MP shooters on the market, literally anything is enough. Hats, prestige, gun skins, whatever. If the game is fun people will take any excuse to keep playing it forever.
ME3 multiplayer was great and I didn't even start playing it until the last DLC was released. I easily put more hours into it than Battlefield 4 though that's mostly Punkbuster's fault.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 5, 2017

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Did a gold strike mission with +50% combo radius and +100% combo damage. Felt too easy, really. Too easy to just hole up in a room somewhere with the rest of your team and combo everything that tries to get through the door.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Digirat posted:

This game has 47 guns but it feels like there's way fewer in practice, because much of the content becomes obsolete as you unlock other content. Vermintide has 30-something weapons (not counting weapon types that are shared between characters, which puts it at 44) and that is exactly how many weapons the game feels like it has. The balance isn't perfect but at least it's not intentionally designed to make the one-handed axe obsolete as soon as you get the two-handed axe or whatever. Both weapons are viable on cataclysm difficulty and both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Even then, there are a bunch of really great sounding and feeling weapons I will never use in their current state.

It's clear that nobody at Bioware built a spreadsheet with very basic info like Time To Kill, Damage Breakpoints, Total Damage Per Clip, Total Damage With Ammo Reserves.

They'd notice the whole Charger vs Avenger thing, but everything else is out of whack too.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Khizan posted:

Did a gold strike mission with +50% combo radius and +100% combo damage. Felt too easy, really. Too easy to just hole up in a room somewhere with the rest of your team and combo everything that tries to get through the door.

That sounds good and fun to me. More like how combos should be.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

...though smashing Nullifiers point blank almost makes up for it....
This is my favorite thing about Remnant matches. You see those laser scanning beams coming through the cover and IT. IS. ON. I am charging and punching the everliving poo poo out of you and you will turn around and try to walk away from me but you aren't going anywhere buddy.

I feel like every boss monster in this game needs a tell though before it uses its sync-kill, an audio cue. The field is just way too quiet. Is he a fiend or is he a distinguished little gentleman who should be seen and not heard?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

g0del posted:

Yeah, they are. Ascendants can be worked around, but Fiends are often completely silent and have a tendency to teleport around the map if there's any lag at all. When I'm farming golds with a vanguard I stick to outlaws. Kett have sync kills, and remnant have observers which are annoying to melee.

I was just killed by a Destroyer from behind that was totally silent until it fired. I don't miss Banshee screeches but there needs to be some audio, geez.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 5, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Ambaire posted:

A lot of the comments in that thread mention the smart choke only working on a target, not a wall, which is the way it worked in ME3 and probably how it still works in MEA.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Sync kills were easily the most complained about part of the multiplayer from ME3 (closely followed by vanguards ascending to heaven) and it blows my mind that they brought them back for andromeda mp. They even brought across the jankyness from ME3 with the telescopic banshee grabs just now you get fiends appearing on you and biting you in half. The ascendant bubble can gently caress off too since every time I've died to it they teleport right next to me, drop the bubble zone thing directly on top of me which is just big enough to not let you dash out in one go so you just get killed.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I've never had a problem dashing out of the bubble for the ascendant unless something kept me from getting away, like running into a wall (or an rear end in a top hat teammate blocking me in :argh:)
The rest are all valid dpoints.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've complained my head off about the sync kills so I'll save a repeat of that for the time being, but if you're just starting out, note that kett are the only enemies with sync kills and that there is no penalty for choosing the enemy type in your lobby. So you can just fight other enemies and almost forget that they exist.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The Outlaw Hydra tries to have a Sync Kill when it gets low on health but what ends up happening is it just beats the poo poo out of you and doesn't insta-kill you, and even if it does put you down you can still be helped up.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The last upgrade for Barrier, Saving Barrier, actually keeps you alive after sync kills. It goes through the animation and you survive with full shields and a little health left.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The Outlaw Hydra tries to have a Sync Kill when it gets low on health but what ends up happening is it just beats the poo poo out of you and doesn't insta-kill you, and even if it does put you down you can still be helped up.

This would have been a perfectly reasonable iteration of sync kills - bring you down from however much health you have, but still allow you to be revived by teammates/first aid pack. I don't necessarily have an issue dodging ascendant sync kills and there's only ever 1 fiend in the wave so it isn't super hard to Cobra and finish it off so it stops bothering you while you're doing objectives, but its still highly annoying when it sneaks up behind you and just sync kills you with no warning.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The last upgrade for Barrier, Saving Barrier, actually keeps you alive after sync kills. It goes through the animation and you survive with full shields and a little health left.

This is great, but only limits build diversity, especially for vanguards who are all cookie cutter now anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This one has a really long telegraph anyway, so even if it was a full-fledged sync kill, it would be the most fair one in the game by a mile. The ascendant's bullshit can appear from a long distance away and has such a short tell that an enemy bodyblocking you for a single dodge will mean you lose. Also one time I dodged a solid meter out of the zone but it still magically got me anyway, because ha ha they put sync kills back in the game but left the netcode so lovely that it's borderline comparable to warframe's.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

comatose posted:

Sync kills were easily the most complained about part of the multiplayer from ME3 (closely followed by vanguards ascending to heaven) and it blows my mind that they brought them back for andromeda mp. They even brought across the jankyness from ME3 with the telescopic banshee grabs just now you get fiends appearing on you and biting you in half. The ascendant bubble can gently caress off too since every time I've died to it they teleport right next to me, drop the bubble zone thing directly on top of me which is just big enough to not let you dash out in one go so you just get killed.
They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't prevent revives.

But yeah, people have only been complaining about them for half a decade now. What the gently caress were they thinking bringing them back?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I wish you hadn't told me this, because I skipped the last evo of barrier to make shockwave stronger (I get a surprisingly lot of use out of shockwave).

Now I'm going to have to cookie cutter the poo poo out of myself, you bastard.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Saving Barrier triggers from regular attacks too so it's just useful in general if you slip up and get surrounded, you get a free shield refill and can get out of dodge. It has a 10 second cooldown so you can't just stand in the open forever but that's still pretty short.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sync kills are an important part of the game.

With a full set of revive packs and full set of the medpacks and the cobra missiles and all the various survivability things like low-health-auto-shields and the possibility of teammate revives, it's really pretty difficult to get completely taken out of a wave unless your whole team is just completely loving clown shoes. Sync kills bypass all that and immediately punish positioning fuckups and poor situational awareness. Granted, there are some issues with them now, namely the lack of audio cues when they get close, but they're still one of the few ways to actually take somebody out of a match when their team is on the ball, and it's important to have things that can do that.

I feel like Ascendants are generally in a good place, save for their problematic lack of audio cues. Their projectile is heavily telegraphed and easy to dodge, and they're very easy to just shoot to death from mid/long range. They're only threatening because of their ability to teleport into your face and sync kill you. This forces you to scramble when they get to close range and that often ends up forcing you into bad positions that can be difficult to recover from. This is, imo, the entire reason why the Kett are actually threatening. Remove this and they're going to be a pushover just like the Outlaws.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I never thought I'd see someone champion sync kills. Yeah they punish bad positioning and poo poo play but they also punish the opposite just because weird buggy poo poo happens in this game. I think the way the hydra works is perfect.

Ascendants would be less of an issue especially for joe pubbie if the guns weren't hot garbage. Also they go into full spaz mode when you use throw/pull/whatever once they're out of the shield. I've seen them somersault around in the air then get jammed into tiny corners behind crates or up in the ceiling.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Khizan posted:

Sync kills are an important part of the game.

With a full set of revive packs and full set of the medpacks and the cobra missiles and all the various survivability things like low-health-auto-shields and the possibility of teammate revives, it's really pretty difficult to get completely taken out of a wave unless your whole team is just completely loving clown shoes. Sync kills bypass all that and immediately punish positioning fuckups and poor situational awareness. Granted, there are some issues with them now, namely the lack of audio cues when they get close, but they're still one of the few ways to actually take somebody out of a match when their team is on the ball, and it's important to have things that can do that.

I feel like Ascendants are generally in a good place, save for their problematic lack of audio cues. Their projectile is heavily telegraphed and easy to dodge, and they're very easy to just shoot to death from mid/long range. They're only threatening because of their ability to teleport into your face and sync kill you. This forces you to scramble when they get to close range and that often ends up forcing you into bad positions that can be difficult to recover from. This is, imo, the entire reason why the Kett are actually threatening. Remove this and they're going to be a pushover just like the Outlaws.

At no point in ME3 MP's life did Sync Kills ever feel like they weren't the fault of something deciding to rubberband after you, weird latency, or an idiot teammate getting in your way at just the right moment in time.

MEA's Sync Kills are pretty much starting from that point and not going anywhere else.

They are an entirely unfun and completely unnecessary game mechanic that only serve to frustrate players. They do not need defending, they are BAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think the Ascendants are OK because there's at least a chance of getting away from their sync kill and they're not very threatening otherwise but Fiends are pretty rough - they're giant enemies that are extremely fast, don't make a lot of noise and behave strangely and warp around the map even when there's no lag going on. If their sync kill has a tell, I don't really know what it is, they swing their right arm to grab you but they also just throw punches with the same arm sometimes.

• Locked thread