Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've seen someone with 80 stars with the hellreigel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Ineffiable posted:

I've seen someone with 80 stars with the hellreigel.

saw one with 85 a month or two ago, who knows what new heights he could've achieved in the meantime

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Robot Randy posted:

saw one with 85 a month or two ago, who knows what new heights he could've achieved in the meantime

well on the piss4 at least there's dozens of people with 100+ hurray!

jesus christ

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Robot Randy posted:

Is there even a cap on service stars? I've seen three different 100s. Never seen more than 100.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The cap is 100

Analdeath
Aug 12, 2007

Chilled-out entertainer.
gone and done spawned into a gangbang

http://i.imgur.com/tUvK9zP.gifv

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Ol Standard Retard posted:

well on the piss4 at least there's dozens of people with 100+ hurray!

jesus christ

I'm between jobs, I think I play to much, and some of those people have five times my total hours played... with one gun.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Analdeath posted:

gone and done spawned into a gangbang

http://i.imgur.com/tUvK9zP.gifv
The best part of this is that sentries are immune to knives :ughh:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I am a bad and would rather play this on the Bone than my poo poo PC.

I am on the spreadsheet now, plz add GT: Nostratic and I will die a lot instead of you :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have no idea why this keeps happening, but my weapons as support keep becoming semi-auto mode, which I guess is okay because i'm trying to unlock the scoped Chauchat and i need kills with the scoped benet-marcie, but in practice its pretty much useless. I googled and nothing, and there's no "switch to semi auto" in the bindings on the ps4 version of the game.

Also, how do you get kills with mortars? I've gotten one but I'm pretty sure the guy was on fire when I hit him. Maybe I should be using airburst?

I really love the new maps, but the Fort is so hard to play on unless you're assault, or medic, but there's no bad map for medic.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

e.pilot posted:

I got killed by some dude that had 34 service stars with it the other night

only 34? half the ppl have 100

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

twistedmentat posted:

I have no idea why this keeps happening, but my weapons as support keep becoming semi-auto mode, which I guess is okay because i'm trying to unlock the scoped Chauchat and i need kills with the scoped benet-marcie, but in practice its pretty much useless. I googled and nothing, and there's no "switch to semi auto" in the bindings on the ps4 version of the game.

Also, how do you get kills with mortars? I've gotten one but I'm pretty sure the guy was on fire when I hit him. Maybe I should be using airburst?

I really love the new maps, but the Fort is so hard to play on unless you're assault, or medic, but there's no bad map for medic.

down on the d-pad changes it on the bone

Airburst on objectives for the mortars, and front lines for anything that requires X number of kills in a round, because frontline rounds can be ridiculously long.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just miss how good mortars were in BF4. They even rub it in with one of those loading screen factoids about how a zillion more people died from artillery than gunfire in the war, then outfit you with a glorified potato cannon. "Not your artillery though! Lol"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

e.pilot posted:

down on the d-pad changes it on the bone

Airburst on objectives for the mortars, and front lines for anything that requires X number of kills in a round, because frontline rounds can be ridiculously long.

It's probably the same way on the Ps4, and the only button on the controller I don't use so that probably makes sense. I have the regular chauchat, and its okay, it's more I just want the new stuff. I'll switch to airburst for the mortar then.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The church on Verdun Heights is a great chokepoint to get a ton of mortar kills. Can sit back from either side, and rain shells into the ruin. Sometimes they'll all be hiding in the basement, but usually a bunch of dudes trying to defend from the windows.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

All of Verdun is great for mortars. People clog up around the train tracks.

Well, obviously not the underground portions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Verdun is the map that's come up the least. That also was the worst game I ever played; I was on the French side and we were bottled up in the start point and one flag right by it the whole game. Ironically it was one of the highest kill counts I've ever gotten, because of that church. Me, another support, a scout and medic were hold up on a hill looking down at that church just pouring fire into the Germans.

a bunch of ants
Jan 21, 2009

Wanna be professional criminals with me?
Ok so I'm not entirely sure if I'm using the right guns, and obviously it's a personal preference, but what guns should I be using? I've looked at the stats a bunch but I just have no idea what I should be using. Right now for each class I have:

Assault: MP18 Optical
Medic: 1907 SL Sweeper
Support: MG15 Low weight
Sniper: Russian with the scope/ SMLE Infantry when I just want iron sights on a bolt action

I've been trying to level up the assault because I find the MP18 just so inaccurate but level 10 for the Hellreigel :histdowns: is just so far away.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

a bunch of ants posted:

I've been trying to level up the assault because I find the MP18 just so inaccurate but level 10 for the Hellreigel :histdowns: is just so far away.

Generally use whatever gun you like and feels good, but get you one of the 10-A shootguns and that'll take your assault score up REAL quick. Engage enemies at range with the rocket gun.

I'm a fan of the Mondragon variants for medic and the Benet-Mercie (this is pretty necessary for Support IMO).

also sorry backup snacks I always have the worst timing, and I'm a fuckin PSYCHIC about bringing you along to be disappointed by it! :(

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

a bunch of ants posted:

Ok so I'm not entirely sure if I'm using the right guns, and obviously it's a personal preference, but what guns should I be using? I've looked at the stats a bunch but I just have no idea what I should be using. Right now for each class I have:

Assault: MP18 Optical
Medic: 1907 SL Sweeper
Support: MG15 Low weight
Sniper: Russian with the scope/ SMLE Infantry when I just want iron sights on a bolt action

It's kinda annoying how useless the stats page is and how if you want real stats you have to sperg the gently caress out over at http://symthic.com/bf1-stats

e.g. http://symthic.com/bf1-compare?Cei-Rigotti_Factory_vs_Cei-Rigotti_Optical

But really gently caress all that, here's all you need to know:
-"Trench/Carbine" usually means good hipfire
-"Storm" means less recoil in general (good for full auto)
-"Factory/Low Weight" means quicker recoil recovery (good for bursting)
-the other variants usually mean you get a bipod or palmrest or something but at least you can see it in the preview

In general medic/sniper rifles are best while standing still while SMGs and shotguns are good on the move. Support MGs are a little weird and do a bit of both but lay one down with a bipod and holy poo poo

The MP18 is actually really accurate on full auto so if you're having trouble with it maybe try messing with your deadzone settings

automatico trench for lyfe tho

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I recommend totally ignoring the stats and use what feels right for you. Pretty much every class has a weapon that fits with whatever your playstyle is. The only true stinkers are the m1903 experimental and the 12g shotguns. Even then if you understand the flow of the maps and where your weapondry is effective you can use anything you want. I love some guns that everyone else seems to loving hate, for example the autoloader 8 factory. It only has 5 rounds and sucks rear end at long range but at close range it loving mows people down. Just have to play to your advantages.

Edit: Also you have to realize that most people have zero imagination regarding map flow. Most pubbies seem to have set paths through the map which makes it hilariously easy to flank. Now, I have about 10 days played between xbone and ps4 so I've played each map dozens of times so I know exactly where people go flag to flag but all you have to do is use that to your advantage. An easy way to know where people go is by watching where your teammates are on the mini maps. If you see them in a sort of front line with a lot skulls look for a way to flank where the enemies are. Just putting a minimal amount of effort into positioning makes you far better than most pubbies.

Live At Five! fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 4, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Live At Five! posted:

The only true stinkers are the m1903 experimental and the 12g shotguns.

You're loving insane. The 1903 is a god drat bullet hose. Smashing pubbies with it is the only reason I was able to get scout class ranks because I'm terrible at sniping.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

You're loving insane. The 1903 is a god drat bullet hose. Smashing pubbies with it is the only reason I was able to get scout class ranks because I'm terrible at sniping.

Ah fair enough, I haven't used it in a few months. It was irredemable garbage for a long time. But hey they proves my point that you can pretty much use what you want. I've become really good with bolt action infantry rifles so I couldn't imagine using the experimental now. But I will say I loving love the Russian trench, even if I could be more effective with the SMLE or lebel infantry.

Edit: The combination of the double xp boost for the dlc release plus battlefest along with xp boosts has inflated my score per minute absurdly high. I'm now at 1800 SPM, which I'm oddly proud of. It's definitely because I got to rank 90 on xbone so when I switched to ps4 I hit the ground running but still that's double my average on xbone. I'm rank 75 already with 2 days played versus rank 90 on xbone at over 8 days played. I should probably take a break but nothing else feels as good as BF1. Also might as well enjoy being good at a game while it lasts.

Live At Five! fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 4, 2017

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Zipperelli. posted:

I think they did pretty good in terms of getting players to argue what guns are trarsh and what guns are bastedst

hunter 10a nerf was probably a good idea tho

and never stop buffing the russian trench because all games need more lever action

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love Fort but it's basically killed by an assault with a shotgun over and over.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

twistedmentat posted:

I love Fort but it's basically killed by an assault with a shotgun over and over.

I dunno I always end up in an explosives battle in the corridors which is wildly fun, particularly if you have ballsy medics on your team.

and the separate rooms being blow-uppable at the D flag :fap:

All they need is breachable corridors

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Outside of the assault class the guns are remarkably well balanced

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I dunno I always end up in an explosives battle in the corridors which is wildly fun, particularly if you have ballsy medics on your team.

and the separate rooms being blow-uppable at the D flag :fap:

Oh yea I love when they happens as an support because I can keep getting more grenades. Also love putting incendiary tripwires everywhere. Seeing the points go nuts when a big group of enemies get caught. Though I'd there a way to recharge tripwires?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm sending out mass friend requests to the Bone Krew from GT: Nostratic. Accept and I will eat all the bullets for you.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

and multiple floors you can shred through like the buildings on outside maps.

I know it would be hard to design into a playable map but man

I'd play it

e:also, I think the destroyable bridge on rupture is p cool and gets me excited for WWII battlefield

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

mellowjournalism posted:

never stop buffing the russian trench because all games need more lever action

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mellowjournalism posted:

and multiple floors you can shred through like the buildings on outside maps.

I know it would be hard to design into a playable map but man

I'd play it

e:also, I think the destroyable bridge on rupture is p cool and gets me excited for WWII battlefield

Yeah I mean, the challenge is that the corridors are balanced such that they make the map fun to play and building your own tunnels would... uh reduce that?

Maybe some sort of collaborative function where a full squad of mans can cluster somewhere and press enough buttons they can elect to do some creative sapping.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm sending out mass friend requests to the Bone Krew from GT: Nostratic. Accept and I will eat all the bullets for you.

I will be on with a non-Goon buddy that is Goon approved in about 3 hours.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Beastie posted:

I will be on with a non-Goon buddy that is Goon approved in about 3 hours.

cool, i havent played with hisdudeliness in a while

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The craziest thing that happened to me last night is an artillery truck tried to run me over, but it just did a jump over me because I was behind a rock.

I've been told the Experimental is the weapon Scouts use in maps like Fort or when it's too foggy to snipe. Though in those cases I've just been using pistols.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The craziest thing that happened to me last night is an artillery truck tried to run me over, but it just did a jump over me because I was behind a rock.

I've been told the Experimental is the weapon Scouts use in maps like Fort or when it's too foggy to snipe. Though in those cases I've just been using pistols.

The Frommer Stop is such a good scout pistol there's no reason to use the Experimental imo. I started being a terrible person and using the Russian Sniper (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em) as a secondary gun for counter-sniping, and running around with the Frommer as main. Can't say I've been that successful, but still, that pistol is awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Finger Prince posted:

The Frommer Stop is such a good scout pistol there's no reason to use the Experimental imo. I started being a terrible person and using the Russian Sniper (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em) as a secondary gun for counter-sniping, and running around with the Frommer as main. Can't say I've been that successful, but still, that pistol is awesome.

Yep, I forgot what pistol I have but I have been doing the same thing. if I can't be in a situation to snipe, I'll pistol.

Since switching to airburst, I've gone from 0 kills to 4, but holy poo poo getting 15 kills with the scoped benet-mercie is hard at my skill level.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I wish I could use the Frommer Stop Auto all the time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

twistedmentat posted:

Yep, I forgot what pistol I have but I have been doing the same thing. if I can't be in a situation to snipe, I'll pistol.

Since switching to airburst, I've gone from 0 kills to 4, but holy poo poo getting 15 kills with the scoped benet-mercie is hard at my skill level.

A good hour and a half round of Frontlines makes 15 in a round fairly easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Parkingtigers my man hop in on this squad

I mean Dabbernaut and johnny are cool and friends and stuff but hop in with me and DROB goon on goon violence ain't no thang.