Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Hey weapon forging guy I'm sorry this game you played a lot of isn't perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Gruckles posted:

I think the idea in WW was the Zora were transformed into Rito by the gods, so that they wouldn't be able to swim around in the sealed Hyrule. They also basically just humans with beaks in place of noses, and had to be given their wings through a dragon god's blessing.
The Rito and Zora in this game both have a lot more animal features than previous versions, and might just be a natural divergent evolution that occurred in a different timeline.

Evolution is junk science. You can have small changes within species, but it won't ever become an entirely different species.

All your memories of what Rito or Zora looked like in the past is false, it was all a legend that changes based on society's experiences and historical interpretations of scant evidence.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

comingafteryouall posted:

Evolution is junk science. You can have small changes within species, but it won't ever become an entirely different species.

All your memories of what Rito or Zora looked like in the past is false, it was all a legend that changes based on society's experiences and historical interpretations of scant evidence.

But her pirate's charm messages.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This thread is wild.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

HERAK posted:

Technically not. That is an accurate translation and best reflects the content in it's original language. The difference is between a translation and interpretation. A translator will translate directly and almost literally from one language to an other. An interpreter will take the meaning and intent from one language and make you understood in the other language. It's up to the player to recognise this and understand the cultural and linguistic viewpoint of the authors.
Nah, that's why they call it localization and not translation. Nintendo didn't just run this poo poo through Google Translate. If "10,000 years" was supposed to mean something other than a roughly 10k years span of time, that should've been localized to an equivalent English idiom. It's not my fault for not being educated on idiomatic Japanese.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

grilldos posted:

This thread is wild.

Thread of the wild

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If it is supposed to just be "a long time ago" and not literally 10,000 years, that's kind of lame that they just literally translated it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

I just don't think it would have ever made sense as an inclusion. And if they just implemented repairing across the board, I guarantee most players would feel forced to hold onto damaged weapons and regularly go back to town to fix them and that's tedious as hell compared to "throw it away, get a new one."

What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure you'reu not supposed to have a full inventory of super-weapons at all times and if it's tedious to maintain one it's because the game wasn't designed around the player doing that in the first place.

While I agree creating your own custom uber weapons is a poor fit, and I can't deny I'd likely hoard damaged lizal tri-boomerangs if I could fix them? it's also pretty misleading to claim you will not have an inventory full of super weapons at all times. Because that's essentially what happens once royal gear starts showing up.

At which point I find myself more often wishing for specific equipment WORSE than what I have, but of a variety I'd prefer for circumstances or taste. Like my previously mentioned obsession with lizal boomerangs. Or having an inventory stuffed full of top tier shields, but wishing I could just get more dragonbone wood shields but not really able to because static spawns are armed with trash and scaling spawns are black/silver bokoblins with royal swords and shields. etc.

So the only shortage of good weapons for any point of the game is when fighting enemies designated to spawn with nothing/bows, or just don't scale at all. "Well this place is populated by 90% Red Lizals. Or green lizals with lightning arrows on the way to Zora domain, etc. So that means a bunch of archers, bare handed enemies, or maybe a soldier's sword if I'm lucky to replace one of my five mod affixed royal swords, two guardian swords, and moonlight scimitar I keep for gerudo cosplay. Not counting my several fancy two handers, halberds, wands, and fire spear I use only as a zippo lighter".

So yeah. while being able to hand craft fancypants affix weapons would be bad? I can't see any issue with dumping your later game overflowing stockpile of resources into normal items. Letting people turn moblin horns and wood into boko gear wouldn't break the game at any point.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 4, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, if your not supposed have a bunch of cool items, then I definitely went wrong somewhere considering I was finding Royal Claymores and Bows faster than I could use them up

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

"ooh a shrine chest i wonder what- ah, a forest dweller's spear. well I already have 3 durability up+ Royal Halberds"

The top tier stuff should probably be rarer if the game was meant to encourage you to really use whatever you find

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

While I agree creating your own custom uber weapons is a poor fit, and I can't deny I'd likely hoard damaged lizal tri-boomerangs if I could fix them? it's also pretty misleading to claim you will not have an inventory full of super weapons at all times. Because that's essentially what happens once royal gear starts showing up.

That's not really what I'm saying. s.i.r.e. is talking about how they often go on runs to replenish their super-weapon stock and it's getting tedious, so they should just have had weapon repairing/reforging instead. My point is that intentionally going on weapon-farming runs for Royal and Lynel weapons isn't really the point and at no point should you really need to do that. Being able to reforge good weapons you broke is a fix to a problem that I don't think exists. I'm also not convinced it would actually save you any time if you're the kind of person who insists on having a full inventory of perfect Royal weapons at all times. You'd still spend time maintaining that inventory, just by navigating menus instead of going to weapon spawn points. I just think it's unnecessary on top of undermining the durability system.

Maybe to put it another way: I almost always had an inventory full of great weapons by endgame. I did not, however, have an inventory packed to the gills with perfect Royal weapons with cool affixes on them, or more than one 70+ attack Lynel weapon at a time. I'm not saying that the player isn't supposed to have an inventory full of cool poo poo, with a couple Royal weapons, a Lynel weapon, maybe some cool elemental weapons. I'm saying that I don't think the player is supposed to have a full inventory of awesome Royal weapons with good affixes and that if you have anything worse than that it's time to go do another run of Hyrule Castle to refill.

Section Z posted:

Letting people turn moblin horns and wood into boko gear wouldn't break the game at any point.

This is a different thing and makes more sense to me. Letting players turn common goods into decent, but fragile, weapons to get you through a tough spot without having to warp back to town would be pretty neat. It'd be nice in the early game, too--maybe you could turn a few bundles of wood into a basic club or something so you can fight those bokoblins over there. It'd the kind of thing that'd only make sense if they implemented some sort of crafting menu that you can access in the field rather than at a town (or, again, it's not really saving you any time), but that'd be a decent inclusion I think.

But that's different from "let me attach custom affixes and also repair my weapons."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 4, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harrow posted:

I mean, what you're asking for is a pretty complex system that totally undermines one of the game's core gameplay aspects. I don't think options are always good and this is a good example. Sometimes an option would undermine the game or just not be worth including.

You want to customize weapons, sure, that's cool. But that means you're spending time in menus making choices and all that's gone when it breaks. So maybe it remembers weapons you customized so you can remake them. That's a pretty complex extra gameplay system to add on. Then maybe we'll take out the customizing and just let you reforge certain weapons. Which ones? Do you register some? Is it any weapon you've ever picked up? And on top of that, it undermines the entire durability system, so we'd need to squirrel it away somewhere, maybe only in the post-game. So we have a complex weapon system that most players won't use and that replaces the game's core weapon mechanics.

This wouldn't be complex at all, you're just spawning in a weapon. The durability system would still be in place and it would actually give mats purpose for when they don't have any in the late game.

Harrow posted:

I just don't think it would have ever made sense as an inclusion. And if they just implemented repairing across the board, I guarantee most players would feel forced to hold onto damaged weapons and regularly go back to town to fix them and that's tedious as hell compared to "throw it away, get a new one."

What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure you'reu not supposed to have a full inventory of super-weapons at all times and if it's tedious to maintain one it's because the game wasn't designed around the player doing that in the first place.

The game's designed around "doing whatever you want," so you can't argue who's supposed to have what in their load-out because you're literally not supposed to have anything since there are no requirements or sequence breaks in order to finish the game. If a player is skilled enough they can start the game, head to Hyrule Castle and activate the Shrine there for an easy fast-travel point and raid it constantly while going through the rest of the game. That player has earned that, it's their reward for having the balls to loot the castle right off the cuff. That's the brilliant thing about BOTW's design, it's completely open ended for the player to take their journey in any direction they please. None of the systems in place break if the player exploits another system.

Again, I'm only arguing for more options; if there was a way to bring back whatever weapon you wanted and players used it, what does that matter? amiibos already spawn high level stuff that you can use to Steamroll the early game and you can exploit that easily, it doesn't make the game any worse.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I'm a total sucker for Diablo-esque loot systems, so any semblance of that in this game would be amazing

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

This is a different thing and makes more sense to me. Letting players turn common goods into decent, but fragile, weapons to get you through a tough spot without having to warp back to town would be pretty neat. It'd be nice in the early game, too--maybe you could turn a few bundles of wood into a basic club or something so you can fight those bokoblins over there. It'd the kind of thing that'd only make sense if they implemented some sort of crafting menu that you can access in the field rather than at a town (or, again, it's not really saving you any time), but that'd be a decent inclusion I think.

But that's different from "let me attach custom affixes and also repair my weapons."

This is the part I totally agree with you on, yes. But deliberately fragile weapons in the event of armchair development crafting, isn't the same as "Boko bone equipment just happens to be more fragile than metal lizal equipment, go figure". So it is still a distinction that has to be made.

Customizing weapons with affixes, or repairing your favorite affix weapons, would be too fiddly and off balance for the game. You are entirely right on that end. But going in the complete opposite direction of "Any crafted weapons should be deliberately lovely" isn't much better. Basically a lot of the time I read your theory posts and go "Yes good points, I agree with this person-oh wait they took that last step too far past my personal opinions about video games in the internet"

Because really, in the end we are talking about stuff with both wish were things, that probably will never be things :sigh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 4, 2017

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

This wouldn't be complex at all, you're just spawning in a weapon. The durability system would still be in place and it would actually give mats purpose for when they don't have any in the late game.

I feel like you're seriously underestimating the amount of work it would take to make this system functional and also compatible with the existing design without mucking things up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Again, I'm only arguing for more options; if there was a way to bring back whatever weapon you wanted and players used it, what does that matter? amiibos already spawn high level stuff that you can use to Steamroll the early game and you can exploit that easily, it doesn't make the game any worse.

I mean, I think save-scumming amiibo weapons is functionally equivalent to using Game Genie back in the day, so :shrug:. Either way you're using an extra system to make the game easier for yourself than it would be without it--the only difference is that this one is first-party and doesn't always give you what you want.

"More options" is not always good. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't. If you give players the ability to repair their weapons, you're changing the durability system from "you're supposed to use whatever you can scavenge" to "you need to regularly maintain your weapons." Yes, I know, you wouldn't have to repair, but show of hands: how many of you would willingly break a rare, powerful weapon, knowing that you could warp back to town and repair it instead? Because I sure as hell wouldn't and I think it's a rare player who would. Without the ability to repair weapons, you're free to break it and move on. If they could repair it, that would be a waste, they've just thrown away an actual piece of equipment; as the game stands now, they've used up a finite resource instead. It'd be a fundamental shift in the game's entire weapon design philosophy.

My take on weapon durability is that you either need to go all the way like Breath of the Wild and make weapons a usable resource, or you shouldn't have durability in the first place because going back to repair is a time sink. There are a few exceptions--sometimes the task of needing to maintain your gear adds to the feeling the game is going for, like in a post-apocalyptic game like Fallout--but in general, that's my stance. So if Breath of the Wild were to at any point add across-the-board repairing or reforging, I say just remove the durability mechanic entirely at that point, because it's no longer adding anything and is now a time sink.

(I also feel like I should apologize a bit. "More options are always good" is maybe my biggest game design argument pet peeve because I can think of plenty of examples where adding a new option to a game would make it measurably worse, so I tend to argue more, uh... rear end in a top hat-like when I'm trying to argue against that. I don't mean to be so dogmatic about it.)

Section Z posted:

This is the part I totally agree with you on, yes. But deliberately fragile weapons in the event of armchair development crafting, isn't the same as "Boko bone equipment just happens to be more fragile than metal lizal equipment, go figure". So it is still a distinction that has to be made.

Well, that's what I meant. I figured if you're making your gear out of wood and bone in the field, it's going to be the rough equivalent of boko gear, which is fragile because, well, it's a piece of wood with some bone tied to it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, the economy in this game breaks wide open once you realize
A: how easy it is to kill Guardians while expending few to zero resources,
B: the absurd number of parts each dead Guardian rewards you with, and
C: how much Guardian parts sell for.

It's probably not THE fastest way to make money, but actively hunting down and clowning on Guardians is a hell of a lot more fun than snow bowling, IMO.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So I've been playing for little while and kind of wondering what's a good flow to do. I've got up to 5 hearts and an extra stamina bar. I got to the second town after Kakariko and got my Sheikah Galaxy S8 upgraded by that child-but-not-really scientist and bought some good looking armor.

- Should I keep hitting up shrines? They're cool and all but seem to be getting a bit repetitive. I dunno if it's better to go out of my way to hunt them out or do a more "grab as you go" type thing.
- I've got the basics of cooking down it seems.
- I caught 2 wild horses, and also have Epona from my Smash Link amiibo. Anything worth doing with them? Horse play control almost feels worse than it did in OoT, which is saying something. I tried doing that first obstacle course and holy hell it was hard to maneuver it.

While the game is good and fun, it's a little bit more of the same as I keep going and makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong to not shake things up.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It just occurs to me that the reason the first weapon they give you (which you can ignore, obviously, but what first time player wood?) is a stick, which is not only incredibly brittle and weak, but never has any random stat boosts. It's the game's way of telling you, nah, you're not repairing poo poo.

Basically what I'm saying is, I want to be able to repair sticks and nothing else. Bonus points if the required component is another stick.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Spergatory posted:

It's probably not THE fastest way to make money, but actively hunting down and clowning on Guardians is a hell of a lot more fun than snow bowling, IMO.

I think grinding for cash is not necessary in this game. You're going to be hard up for money for a while until you get most of the stuff you want, but by naturally playing the game you'll get fat stacks. Silver enemies drop the expensive gems, so once you've done enough exploring or shrines or whatever triggers those you'll get rich just by playing, and you get way enough money by selling monster parts along the way (even faster if you cook them up into elixers when necessary)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spergatory posted:

No joke, don't sell shafts if you ever intend to splurge on Ancient Arrows. But you do end up with more ancient screws and springs than god.

seiferguy posted:

So I've been playing for little while and kind of wondering what's a good flow to do. I've got up to 5 hearts and an extra stamina bar. I got to the second town after Kakariko and got my Sheikah Galaxy S8 upgraded by that child-but-not-really scientist and bought some good looking armor.

- Should I keep hitting up shrines? They're cool and all but seem to be getting a bit repetitive. I dunno if it's better to go out of my way to hunt them out or do a more "grab as you go" type thing.
- I caught 2 wild horses, and also have Epona from my Smash Link amiibo. Anything worth doing with them? Horse play control almost feels worse than it did in OoT, which is saying something. I tried doing that first obstacle course and holy hell it was hard to maneuver it.

While the game is good and fun, it's a little bit more of the same as I keep going and makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong to not shake things up.

Take the game at your own pace, take hearts at a rate you feel you need them to survive comfortably vs how much of an easier time you want climbing things. Every stamina upgrade is 1/5 of a wheel, and three stamina upgrades seems to be a sweet spot of being able to climb most normal things just fine. I personally gave myself two or three hearts for every stamina upgrade until I hit five stamina upgrades, because even just a second stamina wheel covers almost everything unless you are constantly spamming jump (and bonus endurance meals or $80 inn stays that give you bonus stamina also help).

At the very least track down any shrines you have seen to activate them as quick travel points. You don't need to beat them for that perk, and your map even tells you the difference by having a blue outline on an orange shrine.

That said, if you want a spoiled number on something to shoot for? 13 Hearts total. Divine beasts also give +1 heart

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 4, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Hit them up as you see them. There are some great ones but also some samey ones. There's a main quest (technically optional but classified as a main quest and worth doing) that requires you to do at least 40 shrines (specifically, have at least 13 hearts).

If you see a shrine and don't feel like doing it right now, at least open the door, because that lets you use it as a fast travel point.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

seiferguy posted:

Have you been doing any plot? It sounds like now might be the time for you to start doing plot. Find a beast and go do that. Doesn't matter which one, though I don't recommend doing Goron first. Keep doing shrines as you come across them because that is how you get more hearts and stamina. Don't be afraid to get distracted by shiny things.

Edit: Yes, what they said about at least activating them for fast travel purposes. Especially useful if you stumble across a Major Test of Strength while you are a scrub.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 4, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Lobster posted:

Have you been doing any plot? It sounds like now might be the time for you to start doing plot. Find a beast and go do that. Doesn't matter which one, though I don't recommend doing Goron first. Keep doing shrines as you come across them because that is how you get more hearts and stamina. Don't be afraid to get distracted by shiny things.

Edit: Yes, what they said about at least activating them for fast travel purposes. Especially useful if you stumble across a Major Test of Strength while you are a scrub.

Yeah plot sounds good right about now. I'll probably hit up one of the beats then. Thanks for the advice!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So, did you wake up BECAUSE the world was going to poo poo, or did your waking up CAUSE the world to go to poo poo?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Lobster posted:

So, did you wake up BECAUSE the world was going to poo poo, or did your waking up CAUSE the world to go to poo poo?

You woke up because they timer went off.

Also I went back to the bed last night to see if it would let me sleep for free and got trolled by the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lobster posted:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You woke up because they timer went off.

I'm convinced the 100 years was because of the ancient Sheikah tech equivalent of not knowing how to change the VCR from flashing 12:00 all the time.

Resurrection chamber can store people up to 100 years, and just turning the dial to max sounds like something the one who put you in the chamber would do :v:

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
DLC is going to be original 150 Pokemon to catch and battle with. My uncle works at Nintendo.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Lobster posted:

It's BECAUSE. Zelda wakes you up and I think it's the King who explains that she's getting weaker and has been forced to pull you out of the oven.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm calling it now. The follow up to BotW will include the cut hookshot elements.

I mean, imagine parts of this loving game, but you're double clawshotting around like Spider-Man.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Section Z posted:

I'm convinced the 100 years was because of the ancient Sheikah tech equivalent of not knowing how to change the VCR from flashing 12:00 all the time.

Resurrection chamber can store people up to 100 years, and just turning the dial to max sounds like something the one who put you in the chamber would do :v:

Going with this.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm calling it now. The follow up to BotW will include the cut hookshot elements.

I mean, imagine parts of this loving game, but you're double clawshotting around like Spider-Man.

It needs to take place in Sheikah Renaissance Hyrule, in order to have a denser amount of tall buildings to clawshot between. Also, so it can be Nintendo's Assassin's Creed instead of Nintendo's Skyrim.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Why doesn't Zelda age any in the 100 years? It makes no sense that she would be using all her energy to seal Ganon, and ALSO not age any.

Wake up sheeple, the memories are fakes. Link never existed 100 years in the past, all of Hyrule is suffering from a mass delusion brought on by catastrophic events. Zelda could have sealed Ganon for like, a few days, tops. He's called CALAMITY GANON, COME ON!

That's why Link has to go around getting spirit orbs, the weapon manufacturing machine AKA the "chamber of resurrection" didn't have enough time to make him more powerful. Do you really think Link wouldn't have taken some time to get ANY spirit orbs when he was first assigned to protect Zelda?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Guys, get this.

Link's really dead.

Please like and subscribe to my youtube channel, and follow me on facebook and twitter.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Guys, get this.

Link's really dead.

Please like and subscribe to my youtube channel, and follow me on facebook and twitter.

Only if you make approximately eleventy bajallion videos on this subject, with an annoying catchphrase at the end of each one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
*slams fist on table* IT'S GOD drat PURGATORY

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Was anyone else surprised at the end when Zelda was still alive? I was expecting to find her spirit holding back Ganon at Hyrule Castle, kinda like the other Champions, and I think that might've made for a better ending. More melancholic and bittersweet, it would've been more touching and fit better with the rest of the game. And it would've added an emotional importance in going back and finding all your memories of her. Man I'm bumming myself out just writing this. Nintendo hire me

acksplode fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 5, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

acksplode posted:

Was anyone else surprised at the end when Zelda was still alive? I was expecting to find her spirit holding back Ganon at Hyrule Castle, kinda like the other Champions, and I think that might've made for a better ending. More melancholic and bittersweet, it would've been more touching and fit better with the rest of the game.

I had this weird back of the brain fear that she had merged with Ganon, and that it was going to be some grotesque Junji Ito/David Cronenberg poo poo.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

You think an ordinary human would be able to eat 30 plates of bananas in a split second? Link has a miniature version of the blue flame furnaces inside of him that instantaneously converts food to fuel. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Apparently Revali's VA dropped in on a twitch streamer's stream, recorded a message in character and topped off his donation drive to send him to E3 so that guy is probably super classy