Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Gazpacho posted:

the last bells & whistles improvement to IRC I saw was yahoo chat and that was enough to convince me that irc doesn/t need improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I got archives because I figured I should give some money to Richard for these dead gay forums.

Also, I once posted a thread that went gold back in 2002. That was the high watermark folks!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

I should give some money to Richard for these dead gay forums.

unban me or buy me custom titles dumbass, buy anyone custom titles

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

El Mero Mero posted:

I got archives because I figured I should give some money to Richard for these dead gay forums.

Also, I once posted a thread that went gold back in 2002. That was the high watermark folks!

post a gold thread before this place dies. your legacy is at stake.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I can't read discussions that aren't presented chronologically and flat. SA's choice to limit quoting (by default) to a single level was inspired. The Reddit/Twitter style of repeatedly indenting replies to deeper and deeper levels feels like a "great idea" invented by some idiotic programmer who's read more code than English

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
it isn't

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I bet the games forum makes some decent money, it's still the best game forum on the internet

jesus, how bad is every other games forum?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

DuckConference posted:

jesus, how bad is every other games forum?

lol. guess

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

video game discussion usually ends up with people asking for help or doing their best irate gamer impression

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OldAlias posted:

lol. guess

thats surprising given that video games are a worthwhile pastime and not just simplistic entertainment for children

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
wait there's a yospos slack?!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gently caress-you-and-die-an-oral-history-of-something-awful

man, this reads like a postmortem.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i would love to read that but it takes seven years to scroll

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lowtax still seems cautiously optimistic

also wow, forgot about andy milonakis

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the vibe I get from that article is that SA is the forum version of a prairie home companion

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

"have u read gently caress you and die. real funny." - kid on schoolbus in 4th grade

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

dead & gay, so what

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
mr stumpf could not be reached for comment

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

im the "usegroup" days

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm Jon Hendren's 'really good' GED score and demanding job that precludes making 5 posts per day on a forum but allows 24/7 Twitter.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a whole article as definitive proof that you shouldn't have opinions about forums stuff

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

a whole article as definitive proof that you shouldn't have opinions about forums stuff

you know what they say, the internet makes you stupid

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Linguica posted:

im the "usegroup" days
i'm the slashes in the pillowfucker usegroup

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

I'm Jon Hendren's 'really good' GED score and demanding job that precludes making 5 posts per day on a forum but allows 24/7 Twitter.

getting a GED is fuckin hard. I went to night school to get mine. if you fail one section you fail the entire thing. it's honestly a lot of pressure

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I mean that comment is dumb as hell but getting a GED is a lot of work. poo poo is 3 years of school compressed into one test

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I mean that comment is dumb as hell but getting a GED is a lot of work. poo poo is 3 years of school compressed into one test

maybe he should have not dropped out because Mom made him get up at 6:30 every morning and he just can't deal with all that structure, man

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

maybe he should have not dropped out because Mom made him get up at 6:30 every morning and he just can't deal with all that structure, man

I dropped out of school lol

I'm also mentally ill and completely uncontrollable though so lmao

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I dropped out of school lol

I'm also mentally ill and completely uncontrollable though so lmao

I don't see you using your GED as a way to brag about being smarter and more unique than everyone else tho lol. Also if it's basically pass/fail requiring a high score as you say why brag about the high score?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

i would love to read that but it takes seven years to scroll

yeah every vice site scrolls like frozen poo poo. hmm i wonder what could be going on there, i wonder if they --

:shepicide:

how do you gently caress up like this

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

I don't see you using your GED as a way to brag about being smarter and more unique than everyone else tho lol. Also if it's basically pass/fail requiring a high score as you say why brag about the high score?

I feel that

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

quote:

Boruff: It was an insane amount of work. You're trying to do your best to make the place better and you're getting poo poo on constantly. There's just no way to win, so you just do your best to enforce the rules that everyone agreed on and hope that some lunatic who got banned doesn't try to post your address, which has happened to most of them.
yep that's about right

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i hope that this article, in combination with lowtax's renewed leadership, can lead to a second golden age for these our beloved fora

pram
Jun 10, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

"have u read gently caress you and die. real funny." - kid on schoolbus in 4th grade

pram
Jun 10, 2001

emoji posted:

lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
make me mod of adtrw

pram
Jun 10, 2001
well now that the obituary has been written this place feels even more depressing. for the win

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
the optimism comes off as desperate.

like the main man is in front of the firing squad insisting the bullets are rubber.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

well now that the obituary has been written this place feels even more depressing. for the win

4chan and reddit type people think SA is all illuminati lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

like the main man is in front of the firing squad insisting the bullets are rubber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kAEoCHANYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
SA is underground and punk again

• Locked thread