Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?
People do dumb poo poo all the time. Trust me, you'd rather they realize it and admit to it than deny it, blame someone else every time, or never improve -- in any profession.

Gangsta Lean fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Plus it's better than the alternative. People who talk about how smart they are are the worst.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

It stems from the same source that imposter syndrome grows out of. Heavy scrutinization of failures, highly competitive environments, etc. It's probably an introvert characteristic too?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
All good points. I'm guilty of it myself of course. It's more obvious and grating when everyone around you does it, but yeah it's a natural reflex.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

revmoo posted:

I do not understand paying for Stash in a world where Gitlab exists.

gitlab's UI is not enjoyable.

My company would rather self-host our code and it has come up in contracts with customers that we do this to meet security requirements. We've also used Jira for 13+ years before it was terrible so we've learned how to keep things as simple as possible.

Bitbucket overall is pretty simple to manage and its UI is pretty decent. My only wish is that they would merge Crucible with it or something as we would like to do pre-commit code reviews.

Colonel J posted:

I've been working in development for a few months now (love it) but I noticed that programmers, at least the ones I interact with, tend to use phrasing like "oh yeah, I'm a dumbass" and various other self-insults a lot. I think it's pretty annoying as these people are clearly not stupid, and it's just self-defeating for nothing, pessimism and focusing on the negative. I hate it. Anybody else see this trend/feel this way? Should i just chill out and it's just a turn of phrase, or a window into a problematic part of working in dev?

At least in my office we do it in good fun. Other people might throw words like "imposter syndrome" around and be completely serious about it.

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a piece of code from a few years ago and wondered what rear end in a top hat wrote this garbage and laughed that it was, in fact, me.

For me, it's reassuring in a way to see how much my thinking as changed when approaching a problem. Or that I'm looking at it when I am not under a massive time crunch and taking as many shortcuts as possible just to appease the stake holders.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Colonel J posted:

I've been working in development for a few months now (love it) but I noticed that programmers, at least the ones I interact with, tend to use phrasing like "oh yeah, I'm a dumbass" and various other self-insults a lot. I think it's pretty annoying as these people are clearly not stupid, and it's just self-defeating for nothing, pessimism and focusing on the negative. I hate it. Anybody else see this trend/feel this way? Should i just chill out and it's just a turn of phrase, or a window into a problematic part of working in dev?

I'm really hard to not be pessimistic when you spend so much time fixing your own mistakes. Most other fields are a lot more fault tolerant. Bugs also hurt if you take pride in your work.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I frequently point out that I am in fact an idiot. I don't actually consider myself an idiot 99% of the time. I do however consider myself an idiot when I realize I spent whatever amount of time overlooking something seemingly obvious once I see it.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Most other fields are a lot more fault tolerant.

I would say that most other fields I know are less fault-tolerant, but that software's fault tolerance is all rear end-backwards. You can write a chat server that's unable to handle the load of more than 10 users per server and that's OK, but if you do not have a semicolon at the end of a line that's at the end of a block then gently caress YOU because the compiler is done with your stupid poo poo.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Colonel J posted:

Oh sweet summer child. Wait until you have to work with That Guy, the one who thinks he's the smartest loving guy in the world.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Oh sweet summer child. Wait until you have to work with That Guy, the one who thinks he's the smartest loving guy in the world.

I haven't had the pleasure. I have interviewed him a few times. We quote him often for fun.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

geeves posted:

My only wish is that they would merge Crucible with it or something as we would like to do pre-commit code reviews.

Interactive rebase and force push changed my life. No more messy one line commit messages post code review.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dirk Pitt posted:

Interactive rebase and force push changed my life. No more messy one line commit messages post code review.

Consider for a moment, that you deal with a bunch of mid-twenty year olds and as hipster as that might sound, they know nothing about git out side of an IDE.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

geeves posted:

Consider for a moment, that you deal with a bunch of mid-twenty year olds and as hipster as that might sound, they know nothing about git out side of an IDE.

And that is why eclipse's eGit is the worst and my colleague refuses to believe that

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

revmoo posted:

I do not understand paying for Stash in a world where Gitlab exists.

Github has (or had 4 years ago when we moved from github) a max repository size that if you hit will reject all pushes and GitHub will tell you to pound sand regardless of how much money you want to throw at them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What problems do people have with Stash / BitBucket?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dirk Pitt posted:

Unless you're pushing to your own personal feature branch, that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Interactive rebase is the absolute best, though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Unless you're pushing to your own personal feature branch, that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'd assume there's an implied (prior to merging to master) in there. Or no other developers on the project. Otherwise coding horror thread is that way...

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Github has (or had 4 years ago when we moved from github) a max repository size that if you hit will reject all pushes and GitHub will tell you to pound sand regardless of how much money you want to throw at them.

How big of a repo?

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Hughlander posted:

I'd assume there's an implied (prior to merging to master) in there. Or no other developers on the project. Otherwise coding horror thread is that way...

--force-with-lease or die (and also not doing it on shared branches)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sign posted:

How big of a repo?
They start getting ornery if your repository gets over 1 GB. If you're a reasonable paying customer, they'll extend that quota if you have a reason it needs to be that big (i.e. real source files, not giant binary blobs). The one they don't really budge on is the 100 MB max file size.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

What file is over 100MB that justifies going into a repo?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Polio Vax Scene posted:

What file is over 100MB that justifies going into a repo?

3d textured model meshes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KoRMaK posted:

3d textured model meshes

That must be a nightmare to diff.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

That must be a nightmare to diff.

Unless you are saving the models in a text format, git doesn't even try to diff binary files, other than saying that "Yeah, this changed".

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Looks like they had a 5GB per-repo limit that's now 10GB? Was that it?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

smackfu posted:

What problems do people have with Stash / BitBucket?

Elasticsearch has gone down once or twice. So we couldn't search for a few minutes while it was fixed.

Making plugins and githooks is another thing, but it's more getting corporate approval.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

geeves posted:

gitlab's UI is not enjoyable.

My company would rather self-host our code and it has come up in contracts with customers that we do this to meet security requirements.

Gitlab is open source, nobody is stopping you from self hosting it for free.

The UI is the best I have used out of Github, Stash, BB, and all the rest of the web svn garbage, but that is just my opinion.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HardDiskD posted:

Unless you are saving the models in a text format, git doesn't even try to diff binary files, other than saying that "Yeah, this changed".

:thejoke:

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Does dropbox and clones diff binary files ?

Tactical Shitpost
Jun 13, 2016

AskYourself posted:

Does dropbox and clones diff binary files ?

Probably the same way rsync does - https://rsync.samba.org/tech_report/node2.html

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Volmarias posted:

I thought that pushing to feature branches was understood before a push to master. I am on a team with a few other senior devs and we trust each other to address comments in a code review, while still approving the work as a whole.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

Looks like they had a 5GB per-repo limit that's now 10GB? Was that it?

It's been over 4 years but I think it was like 1.9GB and not going to 2GB. Wasn't aware of any warning that probably happened before we acquired the company in question. Just know one of my guys had to drop everything and setup gitolite THAT INSTANT so people could continue working.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Product team: "Can we start using points instead of sizes so we can better measure velocity?"
Us: "Okay but we've tried this before and it was a bookkeeping headache and it was used by management to ask questions like, 'You got less done than last time, why didn't you do better?' and 'You did X points last time, can't you pull in more stories this time so you can do X+5?'"
Product team: "We promise we won't do that, it's just so we can plan better, pinky swear."

I'm sure you don't need to read the rest of this post, but here it is.

[Sprint 1] Product: "You got X points done, cool."
[Sprint 2] Product: "You only got X-Y points done, you underachieved this time."

Wow two whole data points and you've already got a perfect bead on our velocity, eh? Oh, also :fuckoff:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Product team: "Can we start using points instead of sizes so we can better measure velocity?"
Us: "Okay but we've tried this before and it was a bookkeeping headache and it was used by management to ask questions like, 'You got less done than last time, why didn't you do better?' and 'You did X points last time, can't you pull in more stories this time so you can do X+5?'"
Product team: "We promise we won't do that, it's just so we can plan better, pinky swear."

I'm sure you don't need to read the rest of this post, but here it is.

[Sprint 1] Product: "You got X points done, cool."
[Sprint 2] Product: "You only got X-Y points done, you underachieved this time."

Wow two whole data points and you've already got a perfect bead on our velocity, eh? Oh, also :fuckoff:

I think there are several of us working independently to constantly change the what a point means as to avoid these discussions. Hell, when we started Agile and Scrum we decided what 3 points was a baseline simple thing that's always done. Points have been hosed every since.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

3d textured model meshes

Git-lfs is a thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We tend to point most stories at one point. This means that when we split a story in two, it automatically doubles in size. Think we need the work on that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dirk Pitt posted:

I thought that pushing to feature branches was understood before a push to master. I am on a team with a few other senior devs and we trust each other to address comments in a code review, while still approving the work as a whole.

Sounds like you work for a decent company with source control hygiene, so good on you :unsmith:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Just go ahead and publish a translation table that states how many hours every point is worth so that Agile can devolve the way it always does.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lean Degeneration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

B-Nasty posted:

Just go ahead and publish a translation table that states how many hours every point is worth so that Agile can devolve the way it always does.

Our scrum master always gives us the Marcus Aurelius speech about points. "There was an dream that was points. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish"