Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

BACK IN MY DAYS WE NEVER DEADLINED VEHICLES ADAPT AND OVERCOME HOOAH!?

*humvee breaks down on I-70 from Manhattan Kansas to Ft. Riley*

this is a true story, Kansas Guard hooooaaaahhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just because a vehicle was deadlined doesn't mean we stopped using it.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Circle-x and keep going.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

The Rat posted:

You'd think again if you saw some of the IED hits Strykers took in my old unit. No way I'd have wanted to be in a humvee for those.
No kidding. The hits that our trucks shrugged off would have obliterated a Humvee. Strykers seem pretty weird at first because they don't seem to exist anywhere in conventional doctrine. However, I think that (in a cav context, at least) they're a happy middle ground between light and heavy, and they're much better suited to the sorts of conflicts that I think we can expect to see more of in the future. More importantly, they're flexible. Not flexible as in "let's put a 105 on an 8x8" (good grief), but flexible in that the same dudes on the same trucks can work comfortably in a lot of environments without some of the drawbacks that Bradleys or Humvees would have if you stuffed them into those roles.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Riding in the back of a Bradley is a miserable experience. Felt like my teeth were getting rattled out of my jaw.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

However, I think that (in a cav context, at least) they're a happy middle ground between light and heavy

So... medium?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Zeris posted:

Have a cool answer ready for when a printout of this ends up on your desk.

"Army Public Affairs policy allows for the existence of blogs, webjournals and other social media accounts as long as they adhere to OPSEC. No names or units were harmed in the making of this post."

Eh.

I've been through worse. Besides, if I get green weenie'd for posting here I'll post pics of the DD214 on the way out the door. I'd see that as a badge of honor. Means I'm important enough to be noticed and followed.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
In an urban environment or anywhere I'd have to worry about IEDs I'd definitely want a Stryker. Right now SBCTs, or at least mine anyway, are training to fight Russian equipped armor units. BTR80s have twice the max effective range of either a mk19 or a M2. The double V hulls also weigh a lot more than the old flat bottom versions so they sink into the ground at Yakima just about everywhere.

Scouts are now using the infantry variant because there is no recon variant of the double v hull strykers. This means we use RWSs now instead of having a gunner in a turret with an LRAS3. The LRAS3 mount is now in the back and used from the air guard hatch which means you need to move the Stryker because of the limited field of view and it's no longer on a turret. With an RWS we're more accurate with our weapon systems but the gunner now has a much reduced situational awareness.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

You'd think again if you saw some of the IED hits Strykers took in my old unit. No way I'd have wanted to be in a humvee for those.

edit: jfc this is the most old man 'back in my day' message I've posted in months now

Don't worry, we're all old now dude. Except mustang.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Riding in the back of a Bradley is a miserable experience. Felt like my teeth were getting rattled out of my jaw.

I got to experience that for 3 years. They rattled hard under like 25km/h and and kind of smoothed out at 30 but it still sucked.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well, young in Army years but I'm pretty old for a LT. I'm the same age as my squad leaders and only a couple years younger than my PSG.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Army doesn't define your age by birth but how jaded you are.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

McNally posted:

So... medium?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen them referred to as medium.

This is stupid. The RWS is garbage (lol Storm) and should never have been kept in production when better systems like CROWS already exist. Even then, a gunner out the turret with an LRAS is far more important. They should have just stuck with the old flat-bottom RV (for this purpose).

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah RWSs are pieces of poo poo, things break down way to easy all on their own.

I wish we could use the RVs still but we turned all of those in for the ICVs we're currently using.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Any of you guys working in intel see the Susan Rice thing? Any one of us would probably be facing prison for that (releasing of intel gathered on U.S. persons + their names).

Sheesh.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Any of you guys working in intel see the Susan Rice thing? Any one of us would probably be facing prison for that (releasing of intel gathered on U.S. persons + their names).

Sheesh.

She didn't release anything, she asked if some names could be unmasked and there's no indication that the requests were approved. Big difference.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

She didn't release anything, she asked if some names could be unmasked and there's no indication that the requests were approved. Big difference.

Was it approved? Or ignored completely? This came up in a discussion today at work.

Whoever let out Flynn's name is screwed, right?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Was it approved? Or ignored completely? This came up in a discussion today at work.

We wouldn't know if it was approved/ignored/whatever. All that's been stated is that a request was made and that's about as far as it will get.

quote:

Yes, but you'd have a better chance of finding the phantom shitter in an Army brigade.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

spacetoaster posted:

The reporting so far is that she asked, it was approved.

Wanting names unmasked to understand intel isn't a problem and is easily justified. The issue is what the gently caress were they talking about that 1 - required their names to be unmasked for the loving NSC and 2 - gave enough reasonable justification to allow the names to be unmasked.

Hint: They were talking about poo poo they shouldn't have been. Trump, his campaign and his entire entourage are Russian stooges and belong in prison.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

About those drinks I mentioned...

I'm down to meet up with any of PNW dudes sometime.

It's great being back in Civilization. Fortunately there's still 2 more trips to Yakima in the next 3 months...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

Just about every army vehicle will deadline if you fart in the wrong direction, just FYI.

Don't worry, we'll circle X that poo poo. XO, get in here and sign this.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm so glad we took the state's 1088s out here. The TPE 915s are derelict

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
Fairly peak Army: my officer separation survey link I was sent from transition does not work, and the email they sent it from has a full mailbox. It's like a zen proverb.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just remember. It took only one YTC rotation.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Guess who gets to go back out to Yakima to be an OC for some other units training

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lmao

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
IT BEGINS!

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

Guess who gets to go back out to Yakima to be an OC for some other units training

Whats the matter Mustang?

One day of combat lovely Army FTX and you're all wore out?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
it's ok I'm sure if he goes to his totally cool and bad rear end CoC they'll swap him out for someone fresh

oooooooorr

they'll tell him "just this once we need you baby, you're the only guy who can do it, you're so bad rear end mustang you'll get a medal maybe"

edit: also no one tell him that they send the people they don't like to those kind of details (because you're not in the CO's cool guy club) :allears:

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 5, 2017

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I bet he gets there and it turns out he wasn't actually needed

Happens 100% of the time with OC slotting

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

they saw something special in you man. this is a big opportunity.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My commander didn't just pull this task out of his rear end, everyone PSG and above is going, plus a squad leader from each platoon. There also aren't any "fresh" LT's to take the spot anyway, none stayed back.

It's my third YTC rotation in less than a year and I'm about to head out for a 4th rotation almost immediately after this OC thing. And then a 5th time in June. This past month was just the first time I had been there for a month straight. Somehow 4 weeks feels 1000 time worse than 3 weeks. It was also the first time I had been there while the rest of the BDE was as well.

I also don't think I'm some badass or the best PL the Army has ever seen, I'm just trying to be good at my job and try to make things not suck as much for the guys in my platoon.

I also don't give a single gently caress about getting any medals.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

edit: also no one tell him that they send the people they don't like to those kind of details (because you're not in the CO's cool guy club) :allears:

Every line CO command team and PL/PSG is going

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mustang posted:

Every line CO command team and PL/PSG is going

god drat thats actually pretty funny man

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
mustang I'm sorry I'm probably coming across as extra mean or assholish and I apologize, all I have to say is gently caress the peacetime army, four rotations already. How long are they generally?

I thought you were singled out and voluntold so my bad

edit: oh 3-4 weeks. That sucks. When I was at polk we spent like 1-3 weeks of every month in the field and that poo poo got old as gently caress real quick. Just prep, field, recovery, prep recovery field for like 3 years straight it felt like. I'm sure the driving aspect makes it like a billion times worse too.

anyhow gently caress garrison gently caress the army

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 5, 2017

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mustang posted:

I don't understand the point of strykers. You can fart in the wrong direction in these things and they'll be deadlined.

Doesn't help that an SBCT has the maintenance support of a IBCT while it needs support more like an ABCT.

I want to trade in my strykers for humvees.

lavs built in the 80s run forever so its weird that strykers built in the 00s are crap. is there not a mechanic in the platoon?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
friendly reminder that the stryker was originally proposed to replace M1A1s, M2s, M3s, HUMMWVs, Avengers, TOWs, like literally everything, and be like super versatile like the M113 but then it couldn't even do the basic airlift capability because of basic rear end IEDs and RPGs in Iraq requiring a cage

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

I also don't give a single gently caress about getting any medals.

:lol:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also mustang I suggest you learn the attenuation factor of your Stryker and learn how to operate a AN/VDR-2 for your adventures in NK

edit: oh and do MOPP drills for your dudes

edit2: see if you BN CBRNE guy will give training, the company guy is just a 2 week tasking and all they know is how to inventory

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Man the Army sounds terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

No mechanics in the platoon, there's a support company. Strykers run just fine and don't break down often when you keep them on roads but as soon as you start taking them offroad they start having all sorts of issues, the T case and generators being the most common problems. Because of the contract with GD mechanics are really only just now learning how to work on strykers so there isn't any institutional knowledge for how to maintain them. Most of the mechanics don't even know how to operate the vehicles they're working on.

For some reason they think SBCT's need to train to fight armored forces but I'm pretty sure we would get hosed up if that was ever the case.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

god drat thats actually pretty funny man

It really sucks for the CO command teams because as soon as they're done with the next YTC rotation they get to go to NTC for like 2 weeks and then 3 weeks later get to go out to YTC #5.

Pretty much everyone MAJ and below is really butt hurt about the BDEs training schedule