Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

StabbinHobo posted:

I wasn't gonna go sci-fi dweebery but since people already mentioned diamond-buildings... can anyone with a materials science background tell us what the current state of artificial diamond technology is?

I'm sure its off by at least one if not 10 orders of magnitude, I'm just curious what today's actual reality is (y'know, with numbers).

I bought lab grown diamond to propose with. It's pretty kick-rear end.

Nuclear powered Trump diamond wall is too awesome to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I was under the impression that the main problem with plant-based sequestration is that most of the carbon just goes back into the atmosphere when a plant decays.

This is true, which is why it should be done at sea and with the carbon capture agent being some carbon based solid polymer extremely resistant to biological and chemical degradation.

I know too little about the capabilities of the chemical conditions or the microbiome of the sea so I'm not sure what bio-synthable polymer that would be useful for this.

And as that other poster wrote, due to the amount of carbon emitted this would likely be a relatively slow process. Especially so if you expect it to carry out the bulk of the carbon sequestration by itself.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rime posted:

Global production was 900,000 kg annual in 2014. But, since this is an energy intensive process, it costs an order of magnitude more carbon to make one than is being trapped within the diamond itself.

only if that energy comes from carbon.

and yes, its basically a tautology that it takes a lot of energy to make diamond, so that doesn't tell us anything.

what I'm getting at here is, lets say you had a magic box that you put in electricity and out came diamonds. we can agree that feeding it shittons of low-carbon electricity is its own challenge, but seperate them for a moment and focus on the box. is it like, 1 megawatt + 1000L of water + one african baby = 1g of diamond? how much control is there over the diamonds shape and size?

edit: some explanations of the current methods, but no numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_diamond#Manufacturing_technologies

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 1, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

StabbinHobo posted:

what I'm getting at here is, lets say you had a magic box that you put in electricity and out came diamonds. we can agree that feeding it shittons of low-carbon electricity is its own challenge, but seperate them for a moment and focus on the box. is it like, 1 megawatt + 1000L of water + one african baby = 1g of diamond? how much control is there over the diamonds shape and size?

edit: some explanations of the current methods, but no numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_diamond#Manufacturing_technologies
I don't know the numbers, but it seems to me that you might increase efficiency if you go for bulk production over quality.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

After freaking out about climate change as a teenager (10 years ago on these forums no less!) and wanting to do something - anything - to stop it, I just started my dream job that directly helps to lower carbon emissions and improves social equity.

Feels good man.

For all young'uns who might stumble into this thread: get angry, get passionate and make a plan. I might not be able to stop everything bad from happening, but making a living from doing what I feel is right is amazingly cathartic.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

sitchensis posted:

After freaking out about climate change as a teenager (10 years ago on these forums no less!) and wanting to do something - anything - to stop it, I just started my dream job that directly helps to lower carbon emissions and improves social equity.

Feels good man.

For all young'uns who might stumble into this thread: get angry, get passionate and make a plan. I might not be able to stop everything bad from happening, but making a living from doing what I feel is right is amazingly cathartic.

Are you murdering wealthy people?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No, nothing so drastic. He works at a fertility clinic and intentionally botches procedures.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I'm going to community college right now with the intention of transferring to a university. I've been gravitating toward biology and it's evident to me how much of a problem climate change will be. What majors should I pursue if I want to help? I live in Seattle now, are there good places to intern?

What can I expect in the area in terms of climate change over the next few decades? If I'm 30 now, can I even plan on staying here until I'm old?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RobotDogPolice posted:

I'm going to community college right now with the intention of transferring to a university. I've been gravitating toward biology and it's evident to me how much of a problem climate change will be. What majors should I pursue if I want to help? I live in Seattle now, are there good places to intern?

What can I expect in the area in terms of climate change over the next few decades? If I'm 30 now, can I even plan on staying here until I'm old?

Lots of my clients are higher-ed HPC researchers, with climate change representing a large chunk of that. From secondhand knowledge, idk how you're going to get grant funding for your ms/phd right now or for the next four years.

I'm so sorry my generation failed you.

Canada's in a bad place right now where close to a decade of muzzling the scientific community has led to brain drain, and their collective climate science funding is pathetic compared to what it used to be.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sitchensis posted:

Feels good man.

What exactly do you do?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

What exactly do you do?

Professional "Good News Don't Worry Kids" poster is my guess.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

RobotDogPolice posted:

I went back to school for a bachelors in environmental engineering and have about a year left to go. Engineering degrees usually pay well and you definitely don't need a doctorate (masters is debatable). I did as much as I could at CC before transferring to a university, which knocked out about half of my degree requirements at about a fourth of the price. My plan is to spend a couple years working for a state regulatory agency, which should give me a good foot in the door pretty much anywhere else.

If no nearby universities specifically offer an env eng program, you can do civil or chemical and use your engineering electives to give you an environmental focus.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

sitchensis posted:

Feels good man.

Good for you man. What do you do exactly?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

StabbinHobo posted:

I wasn't gonna go sci-fi dweebery but since people already mentioned diamond-buildings... can anyone with a materials science background tell us what the current state of artificial diamond technology is?

I'm sure its off by at least one if not 10 orders of magnitude, I'm just curious what today's actual reality is (y'know, with numbers).

The short answer is CVD diamond can get you at most around 10 grams per day, less for single crystals. The theoretical maximum for CVD diamond growth is probably < 1-10 kg/day per reactor.

That limit assumes your growth is limited only by reaction rate and your reaction rate is as high as it can be given sensible limitations on temperature and plasma ionization. It also assumes you can use very large substrates and still grow at this very high deposition rate. Neither of these are likely to be remotely true, but even if they were, 10 kg/day/reactor is still not high enough to ever be useful for structural applications.

Even if you did have structurally useful quantities of diamond, it would probably be a lovely structural material for many applications, for the same reasons other ceramics are (poor fracture toughness in particular).

For electronic, optical, and other thin-film or nanotechnology applications, existing CVD diamond technology is already good enough for many applications. One thing that gets a lot of hype is the potential of diamond based semiconductor devices, but the main limitation there (other than cost in the near term) is that there is no good n-type dopant for diamond and there are fundamental limitations to there ever being one.

In any case, the appropriate carbon based material for any trump tower megaproject is pig poo poo.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Thought experiment:

The bootstraps type love to plug the "just move!1!1!" meme.

So let's say you've been offered a high paying, 100% remote job.

Where in the United States would you choose to set down roots, taking into account the changes that will be happening in the next 10,20,50 years?
(Let's assume you're not going to go full granola and live off the land - you'll need internet access and an airport within driving distance)

I've been looking around a bit... cities like Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Denver, etc that are far from the coast, close to land that can grow food all seem like decent picks. I suspect Vegas might do better than you'd expect since an artificial city in the desert is probably mindful of how be sustainable and plan for the long term.

OTOH, I'd probably avoid big coast cities like SF, NYC, DC, Boston.

Thoughts?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Thought experiment:

Where in the United States would you choose to set down roots, taking into account the changes that will be happening in the next 10,20,50 years?
(Let's assume you're not going to go full granola and live off the land - you'll need internet access and an airport within driving distance)

I've been looking around a bit... cities like Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Denver, etc that are far from the coast, close to land that can grow food all seem like decent picks. I suspect Vegas might do better than you'd expect since an artificial city in the desert is probably mindful of how be sustainable and plan for the long term.

Thoughts?

Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Thunder Bay, Traverse City, Sault St Marie, Bay City, Detroit/Windsor, Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto.

E; sorry they're not all US cities.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 4, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Thunder Bay and Traverse City sound a little too Mad Max for my tastes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I suspect Vegas might do better than you'd expect since an artificial city in the desert is probably mindful of how be sustainable and plan for the long term.

Vegas doesn't strike me as a particularly sustainable city, even hypothetically.

How long would Vegas last if someone built a wall around it and gave them 20 years to prepare for it? The only natural resource there is sunshine and water, until Lake Mead runs dry and then it's just sunshine.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TildeATH posted:

Thunder Bay and Traverse City sound a little too Mad Max for my tastes.

???

They're both the metro in their area, both have local industry (forestry, cherries), both are part of the freshwater trade network that will make the great lakes the place to be for the rest of the future, both have a local airport, both have room to expand in population without straining. Admittedly, they do get brutally cold, but that will lessen over time.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 5, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

Thought experiment:

Thoughts?

Far away from the Hurricane deathzone, forestfire apolyptica and earthquake central.

So basically not the US.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

MiddleOne posted:

Far away from the Hurricane deathzone, forestfire apolyptica and earthquake central.

So basically not the US.

If the entire U.S. became uninhabitable from those (and earthquakes are no big deal outside of fracking-related quakes), I think your only better alternative would be a biosphere in Norway or something.

The Pacific Northwest is probably pretty safe, although we probably have the worst earthquake preparedness of all the west coast, and you'd actually want to be upriver a bit for both water supply and runoff avoidance, so strike Seattle and Portland. Willamette Valley with some nice water catchment for longer dry seasons? Boise as a survivalist metro hub?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The real answer is that any situation that would actually make relocating based on climate survivability a sane-sounding idea will be followed by very desperate people with guns searching for those that did prepare. If we ever reach a point where your garden is meaningfully impacting your ability to survive, S will have truly HTF.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

So basically not the US.

MN/Dakotas has none of these, and no venomous snakes/spiders either. Downside is you have to freeze your balls off half the year. But hey, global warming!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Polio Vax Scene posted:

MN/Dakotas has none of these, and no venomous snakes/spiders either. Downside is you have to freeze your balls off half the year. But hey, global warming!

If the thermohaline circulation shuts down, won't the northern latitudes get even colder? They wouldn't get warmer again within the lifespan of anyone in this thread.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

If the thermohaline circulation shuts down, won't the northern latitudes get even colder? They wouldn't get warmer again within the lifespan of anyone in this thread.

Nothing burning more fossil fuels can't resolve.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Tornadoes

Conspiratiorist posted:

Midwest winters have been really mild lately, probably because of the jet stream slowing down.

The EPA's amazingly still existing climate change website posted:

North Dakota's average temperature has increased faster than any other state in the contiguous United States

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
realistically anyone who isn't 12, bangladeshi, or the owner of beachfront real estate doesn't need to worry about the sea-rise affects on their life. moving would be pointless. your problems will be (are) economic and societal. your children's problems will be sea level rise and varying levels of collapse.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's my understanding that 2050-ish is when significant disruption will commence. We'll all be dead or dying. It's our kids who are hosed. We're the 'Baby Boomers' of Climate Change. Us lucky ducks got right in before the fall and we have the privilege of watching the Fall of Rome from the comfort of our unsustainable homes.

Do you think they'll come up with a new term for this based around the damage? Right now, it's abstract. 'Climate Change.' The climate is changing. That's the crisis. In the future, the environment will work against where we keep our stuff and how we do our business. A new term about the environmental-civilizational disjunction would be more appropriate when 'climate change' has progressed to a phenomena of pressing and immediate economic damage, cultural damage, political damage, civil unrest, civil wars and interstate warfare.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
2050 is probably very optimistic at this point. There are measurable effects on weather patterns due to climate change right now. You're probably going to see a slow loss of beachfront communities over the next decade or two not because of large sea level increases, but because relatively small increases along with more severe storms will end up putting a lot of people underwater.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Ooh, that's true. I was passively taking the perspective of the average resident of a G8 nation.

Off the top of my head, Miami is experiencing significant difficulties. Now, Miami can afford to spend millions raising streets and running enormous sump pumps 24/7 but people in the rest of the world are already suffering increased violence, food/water shortages, dislocation and economic tumult.

Like much of life, it's way less of a problem if you're rich.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

When's NYC gonna turn into the Manhattan Archipelago? I figure around then is when the rich and powerful will start caring.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StabbinHobo posted:

realistically anyone who isn't 12, bangladeshi, or the owner of beachfront real estate doesn't need to worry about the sea-rise affects on their life. moving would be pointless. your problems will be (are) economic and societal. your children's problems will be sea level rise and varying levels of collapse.

Goons are a notoriously ocean shy crowd. Any rumor of rising water will have them clearing out of coastal states and heading for the hills.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Had the Californian drought not subsided and continued for another 5+ years, that's when/how serious societal disruption starts to happen. We are going to see more events like this and at some point the severity of them will be beyond what we can manage.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

Goons are a notoriously ocean shy crowd. Any rumor of rising water will have them clearing out of coastal states and heading for the hills.
Mostly just Toshimo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JohnnySavs posted:

The Pacific Northwest is probably pretty safe, although we probably have the worst earthquake preparedness of all the west coast, and you'd actually want to be upriver a bit for both water supply and runoff avoidance, so strike Seattle and Portland. Willamette Valley with some nice water catchment for longer dry seasons? Boise as a survivalist metro hub?

Boise yes, but most of Washington is going to be loving obliterated when the Cascadia Faultline pops loose sometime in the next few centuries. :toot:

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Boise yes, but most of Washington is going to be loving obliterated when the Cascadia Faultline pops loose sometime in the next few centuries. :toot:

Still an alluvial coast, even in the aftermath. It'll have people rebuild, even if it is all completely obliterated.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

StabbinHobo posted:

The bulk of my family lives in a coastal third world country 2m above sea level, criss-crossed by rivers and lagoons.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

More progressives need to move here. We can't outbreed the Mormons without huge numbers (and dicks huge dicks).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Ever read up on the Free State Project? It's a constant push for Libertarians to move to NH so they can reach a critical mass and commandeer the state's politics. Thousands have moved and they've gotten people elected.

I want a left-wing version. Just get everyone in the country who wants state-level UHC, Norwegian-style prisons, etc. to move to one place and get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm with you, but "gubbermint get out of my healthcare, and also 100 round drum mags for my AR" is a hell of a lot more achievable than what you want.