Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I think its because the visual language and animation quality of Akira are the only actual things its good. The anime film was adapted from a very good manga that just coudlnt fit into a standanrd running time.

I havnt seen Akira in a long time or read all the manga so this is all second hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Again, why? What about Akira makes it untranslateable?
Americans don't have a cultural complex about nuclear annihilation. I view Akira as a leave well enough alone property. I don't see it benefitting from live action at all. They'll probably go through with it though because The Jungle Book did really well, as has Beauty and the Beast. They probably won't slow down on live action translations until one really bombs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Casimir Radon posted:

Americans don't have a cultural complex about nuclear annihilation. I view Akira as a leave well enough alone property. I don't see it benefitting from live action at all. They'll probably go through with it though because The Jungle Book did really well, as has Beauty and the Beast. They probably won't slow down on live action translations until one really bombs.

So you don't make it about nuclear annihilation. We understand big ol terrorists attacks. So do that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

Apparently this thing is out on dvd/blu-ray at the end of April.

They just threw all the c-level wrestlers into this one, I guess.

I'm still not totally clear on how WWE actually makes any money on this garbage, but I suppose there is some sort of tax angle going on.

This movie is already on the Emirates flight I was just on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

So you don't make it about nuclear annihilation. We understand big ol terrorists attacks. So do that.
Then any justification for basing it on Akira gets pretty thin. Somebody should just write a movie about how millions of people have failed to move beyond the ugliest bits of post 9/11 paranoia that any sensible person let go of 15 years ago.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Casimir Radon posted:

Then any justification for basing it on Akira gets pretty thin. Somebody should just write a movie about how millions of people have failed to move beyond the ugliest bits of post 9/11 paranoia that any sensible person let go of 15 years ago.

You just gotta have someone yell those two names over and over, ride some bikes and then someone explodes into a mass of organs and it's an Akira movie.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Casimir Radon posted:

Americans don't have a cultural complex about nuclear annihilation.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind watching the Cuban Missile Crisis reenacted with psychic kids.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pretty sure Akira is the ultimate anti-vaxxer film.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I dunno, I wouldn't mind watching the Cuban Missile Crisis reenacted with psychic kids.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Nailed it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

The Cuban Missile Crisis scene in that movie is surreally, unfathomably bad. I can't forget about it. It enters the mind unbidden.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CelticPredator posted:

You just gotta have someone yell those two names over and over, ride some bikes and then someone explodes into a mass of organs and it's an Akira movie.

Yeah, Akira the film is about a teenager who can't handle the tremendous power he's given. The philosophical aspects have always taken a backseat to the visual spectacle. The only reason I can't see an adaptation work is because it's very hard to translate its unique visceral qualities into live-action.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Akira's greatness lays in technique, with a helping of cool characterization and sympathetic villains/protoganists. You would just need someone to do all that, plus great action. Easy peasy, right? lol

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The solution to whitewashing is just address the different versions of the characters by their ethnicity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhtOGkUqVTU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

This movie is already on the Emirates flight I was just on.

Parts of it were probably shot on that very flight.

TO-GA! TO-GA! TO-GA!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I watched Jack Reacher 2 instead. Probably not as good as the 1st movie, but Tom Cruise punching people is hard to dislike. Colbie Smulders also really hot and get to do much more than in any of the Avengers movies.

Do you think it will be fashionable again in 980+ years to name movies with "something something 3000"?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I watched Jack Reacher 2 instead. Probably not as good as the 1st movie, but Tom Cruise punching people is hard to dislike. Colbie Smulders also really hot and get to do much more than in any of the Avengers movies.

Do you think it will be fashionable again in 980+ years to name movies with "something something 3000"?
I thought it was nice that they didn't try to make Cruise look like he was taller than her, or much taller than the girl.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

parallelodad posted:

It had a perfect ending. Laura in Love with Steve, promising they'd be together forever, showing America that relentless stalking works and is good.

As long as you have a machine that turns you into a suave ladies' man, natch.

parallelodad posted:

Yeah they had another year on CBS where Steve at one point gets mind reading powers on accident and finds out Laura is attracted to him, the mom is replaced by another actress, Eddie becomes a cop, Steve becomes an astronaut and is set adrift in space where he hot wires a derelict satellite to gain control of its orbital adjustment thrusters in order to get back to his shuttle craft.

Family Matters aired on CBS at some point? Huh, learn something new every day. I must have quit watching that show long before that.

MrBling posted:

I'm still not totally clear on how WWE actually makes any money on this garbage, but I suppose there is some sort of tax angle going on.

The same way The Asylum makes money on their mockbusters, I imagine.
Also, it's probably not hard to convince diehard wrestling fans to buy something that's total poo poo.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 4, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Maybe Cruise has realised that his height is one of his selling points. It makes him distinctive. After all, perfectly good looking blokes rarely get the lead. Or, if they do, they don't last as leads. The lasting ones always have something that mars them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The MSJ posted:

I watched Jack Reacher 2 instead.

I liked the author showing up as a TSA agent saying that Tom Cruise looked "close enough" to the guy whose ID he stole, who he looked nothing like. Nice touch.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Snowman_McK posted:

Maybe Cruise has realised that his height is one of his selling points. It makes him distinctive. After all, perfectly good looking blokes rarely get the lead. Or, if they do, they don't last as leads. The lasting ones always have something that mars them.

Cruise is good looking but the thing that separates him is his ability to sell his performance and ooze conviction. That's what separates him, the conviction in his eyes and action. He's 150% into what he's doing and committed, does his stunts himself when he can, and it helps convince the viewer he's legit in what he's doing.

Plus now he's better because he's willing to take the piss out of himself a bit by goofing up in his action scenes or being silly. Like in MI5 and Edge of Tomorrow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

parallelodad posted:

Yeah Family Matters rules. It's a family sitcom that suddenly took an insane sci-fi bent where a character invents robocops, time travel, transformation chambers, cloning machines​, shrink rays, embiggening rays, teleportation pads, and artificial gravity.

There's nothing like it.

There's an episode where they suffera home invasion and resolve this by going on the transformation change chamber with a lock of Bruce Lee's hair and then kick the poo poo out of the robbers.

I've never watched Family Matter so I have no idea if you're making any of this up. I hope you're not.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People like Tom Cruise.

I personally believe if he stopped pretending he was tall straight and immortal they'd like him a lot more.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never watched Family Matter so I have no idea if you're making any of this up. I hope you're not.

It's true. All of it.

It started out as a simple family comedy, but then Urkel, the wacky neighbor character, just blew up in a way nobody expected. The show became more outlandish as it centered more around him.

The last episode I remember watching was basically Speed, but on one of those stationary spin bikes at the gym.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, Shia LeBeouf's latest movie, Man Down, premiered in the UK and literally ONE person went to see it in the entire weekend.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, Shia LeBeouf's latest movie, Man Down, premiered in the UK and literally ONE person went to see it in the entire weekend.

It's a bad sign when your latest movie, premiering today in the UK, was first released in 2015.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I think its because the visual language and animation quality of Akira are the only actual things its good. The anime film was adapted from a very good manga that just coudlnt fit into a standanrd running time.

I havnt seen Akira in a long time or read all the manga so this is all second hand

It wasn't even half way finished when they were making the movie. The manga was completed something like 2 years after the movie was released.

Casimir Radon posted:

Americans don't have a cultural complex about nuclear annihilation.

It's not just the nuclear annihilation, but also occupation, both the fear of foreigners' occupying your land as well as living under occupation. A good part of the manga is people living in the aftermath of Akira's singularity and living under this new almost-unknowable power that's being exploited by criminal elements. In addition, Japan is forced to bring in the UN and the Americans to help deal with the situation. It even plays out on a small-scale, with the revolutionary Ryu, who is aimless now that the revolutionary cells have been either wiped out or meaningless after Akira dropped his bomb, meeting who he thinks is a scout of some sort but finds out that he's an Japanese-American Green Beret sent to assassinate Akira and Tetsuo with a biological weapon.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

MrBling posted:

Some people like to watch low budget action trash as a form of entertainment. Difficult concept for some to grasp i guess. For those people those WWE films are perfectly servicable diversions for a lazy afternoon or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MrBling posted:

Going by what WWE films I've seen it's because they're made on impressively low budgets. Two locations maximum and then some cheap sets if needed, small cast, super unambitious action that's done in one take and edited as best they can. I can't imagine they need to actually make a lot of money back. But part of it also is I don't think they're made to make money so much as to just be a shareholder bullet point that hey WWE even makes their own movies our superstars aren't just wrestlers they're movie stars too!!!! Plus compared to all of the idiotic merchandise that has come out of professional wrestling some rushed action flicks is probably a huge improvement.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm pretty sure they make those films just to get their wrestlers SAG memberships and benefits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Akira should be two or three films. End the first with AKira waking up, end the second with the Explosion or Kaneda coming back and then do the epic conclusion as the entire third movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also movie acting is a lot less physically taxing than pro wrestling and has a much lower chance of a career ending injury so I guess it makes sense to try and cycle your talent pool into an alternate performance field whenever possible. Pro wrestling careers always have a likelihood of being cut short and the lifestyle is pretty lovely, what with the constant traveling all over the country to perform in shows in different cities all the time. John Cena and Dave Bautista are getting quite a bit of movie work at the moment and I'm sure most of the other wrestlers would prefer that lifestyle as well.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Akira should be two or three films. End the first with AKira waking up, end the second with the Explosion or Kaneda coming back and then do the epic conclusion as the entire third movie.

Also make it a shared cinematic universe with Ghost In The Shell and .... um ..... Fist Of The North Star, I guess??

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
WWE's movie division was losing money at some point, but they changed strategies so that a lot of the films they invest in now, they're just kicking in a small amount of cash along with a bunch of other investors. Like they backed Oculus.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it would be better, as no films

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Of all the pseudo-remakes of Akira that I can think of - which is two - both of them bode very well for the possibility of a remake that just happens to literally be branded that way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FishBulb posted:

It doesn't mean that you couldn't make a good American film based on Akira, but you need to do more than just replace the Japanese characters with American ones

That reminds me, the last time they tried to get an American Akira remake off the ground word got out that Testuo's name had been changed to Travis. :v:

http://screenrant.com/akira-movie-images-art-chris-evans-gordon-levitt/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If they are doing Akira, they better make it as dumb as possible, this is my white whale of potential so awful it becomes legend movies and I will claim it's blubber! I'm talking majority white cast with Asian names, cyberpunk dystopia that's less depressing than reality, weird spirituality that makes no sense, pointless bullet time, action scenes that are confusing, Mr. T having a supporting role, the villain based on Bernie Sanders, Johnny Akira dating an underage girl, a Jesus allegory, Nazi dinosaurs, and pseudo-philosophical debates where the hero is revealed to be a death cultist.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

If they are doing Akira, they better make it as dumb as possible, this is my white whale of potential so awful it becomes legend movies and I will claim it's blubber! I'm talking majority white cast with Asian names, cyberpunk dystopia that's less depressing than reality, weird spirituality that makes no sense, pointless bullet time, action scenes that are confusing, Mr. T having a supporting role, the villain based on Bernie Sanders, Johnny Akira dating an underage girl, a Jesus allegory, Nazi dinosaurs, and pseudo-philosophical debates where the hero is revealed to be a death cultist.

Also lots of early 00's indie rock anthems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

muscles like this! posted:

They actually released a photo of the lone viewer.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y0oWBaMi_s

• Locked thread