Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Funhilde posted:

I've been commissioned to make a Wonder woman costume from the new movies. Her armor looks to be leather but my client would prefer it be something else. I am just trying to decide if foam or vinyl would be easier/look cooler. What do you guys think?

Is there a light leather-patterned vinyl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

If you want to preserve the "look" of leather, you can go with one of these faux leather options from JoAnn: https://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fabric-faux-leather-fabric.aspx

I'm not sure how easy it would be to dye this fabric to get the color scheme correct, though. With color options potentially being limited, you may be better working with foam and relying on your paint job to sell the look and feel.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

If you want to preserve the "look" of leather, you can go with one of these faux leather options from JoAnn: https://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fabric-faux-leather-fabric.aspx

I'm not sure how easy it would be to dye this fabric to get the color scheme correct, though. With color options potentially being limited, you may be better working with foam and relying on your paint job to sell the look and feel.

I might try this since its the cheaper option and see how it looks

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I might try this since its the cheaper option and see how it looks

Yeah. I'm leaning this way. I think shoe paint may paint the vinyl ok...I have some already I can practice on.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone know of any sort of thin-but-stiff plastic that would be heat moldable? I'm talking like card stock thickness or thereabouts, but a bit stiffer then that. Even better if I can order it in sheets up to 3ft long.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
ABS, and you are talking about vac forming.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

There are lots of thermoplastic options (worbla, sintra, teraflex, thibra) in addition to things like ABS and PETG. They vary in ease of use, texture, thickness, durability, etc. What do you need it for?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

legendof posted:

There are lots of thermoplastic options (worbla, sintra, teraflex, thibra) in addition to things like ABS and PETG. They vary in ease of use, texture, thickness, durability, etc. What do you need it for?

This past Halloween, I tried to make a set of articulating wings. I followed the tutorials posted by Alexis Noriega on Youtube(good god, her bird is annoying), and didn't realize until I went to attach the hand made 3ft long feathers to the wing frame that they were way too heavy. It didn't help that Alexis' method of actuation at the time was very expensive pneumatics(she recently seems to have switched to electric), which is much stronger than my manual pulley system. This year, I'm planning ahead and trying to find the lightest means of making the primary wing feathers that I can. I had considered card stock or similar paper products, but those seem to bend too easily and can possibly crease, which would be bad. I figure if I can find some really cheap, thin, plastic, I can cut it to shape and length, heat-form a crease in the middle for the quill of the feather to add more stiffness, then take some really rough grit sandpaper and scrap the feathers up from the center outwards, to give the texture of the feathers.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Kydex, too, though it's usually a bit thicker than those other options.

edit: yeah you probably don't want kydex for what you're looking for

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Okay, the things I've listed are probably all wrong then. I have a kind of odd suggestion, which is to buy a lamination machine and print out or draw and then laminate a bunch of feathers. Laminated paper will still bend but it'll be stiffer than cardstock (you could also laminate cardstock, actually) and harder to crease. And you can heat it up to curl or bend it, though you can't do any really complicated shaping. The biggest downside is that laminated stuff ends up shiny instead of matte, but since you asked about plastic I assume you're okay with that. It's also going to be easiest to do feathers that are 11" long or shorter, though it is possible to find lamination pouches that are longer than that. (I haven't looked to see if there are three-foot-long ones, but it seems plausible.)

It'll cost you about $35 for a thermal laminator and 100 lamination pouches on Amazon in the US. They're pretty easy to use.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You can buy matte laminator pouches, should help quite a bit with glare.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Oh, I actually didn't know that, that's cool.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

neogeo0823 posted:

This past Halloween, I tried to make a set of articulating wings. I followed the tutorials posted by Alexis Noriega on Youtube(good god, her bird is annoying), and didn't realize until I went to attach the hand made 3ft long feathers to the wing frame that they were way too heavy. It didn't help that Alexis' method of actuation at the time was very expensive pneumatics(she recently seems to have switched to electric), which is much stronger than my manual pulley system. This year, I'm planning ahead and trying to find the lightest means of making the primary wing feathers that I can. I had considered card stock or similar paper products, but those seem to bend too easily and can possibly crease, which would be bad. I figure if I can find some really cheap, thin, plastic, I can cut it to shape and length, heat-form a crease in the middle for the quill of the feather to add more stiffness, then take some really rough grit sandpaper and scrap the feathers up from the center outwards, to give the texture of the feathers.

The best wings I ever saw the feathers were made out of packing wrapping.

https://www.amazon.com/Protect-Glas...cking+materials

Funhilde fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 5, 2017

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh, wow, those DO look great! What a great idea! I bet you could use glue or other tricks to create stiffer feathers as needed, too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

McCalls's cosplay section now sells diagrams and instructions for those wings. Very impressive.

As a sign of the future, NieR has released an exact copy of the pattern on the heroine's skirt.

http://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/849320680848019457

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's really really cool of them. :kimchi:

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

I'm close to finishing UDON Taskmaster, but I'm finding the pads shift a lot. That could be because I'm using buckles, though
To fix this, I had 2 ideas:
1. Use elastic for all the pads, but this could be hard to adjust, and more
2. Attach the pads to the suit directly, but it would be hard to clean.

Any thoughts? And yes, I do plan on repainting the pads.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I'm close to finishing UDON Taskmaster, but I'm finding the pads shift a lot. That could be because I'm using buckles, though

Maybe try velcro to anchor them? Can still use straps, but will keep them from sliding and still easy to clean.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That feeling when you finish assembling your armour chest piece and realise that try as you might, you can't get the buckles closed on your own, but you ARE going to the con on your own.

gently caress.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Mexican Sandwich posted:

Button snaps for the pads? You can button em on, and pull em off when you need to clean it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

thespaceinvader posted:

That feeling when you finish assembling your armour chest piece and realise that try as you might, you can't get the buckles closed on your own, but you ARE going to the con on your own.

gently caress.

You need a squire!!

In all seriousness, if you ask a fellow cosplayer for some assistance, I'm sure you can get it. A little awkward, but better than not looking cool, right?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
I literally got asked to zip up someone's (who just randomly walked up to me and asked) Spiderman suit over their underwear-clad butt and it was uhhh... Well I did it. All bets are off at Dragoncon.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Skandranon posted:

Maybe try velcro to anchor them? Can still use straps, but will keep them from sliding and still easy to clean.

Seconding this. Velcro is cheap to order online, you can sew one side to the suit, and hot glue the other to the pad.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Seconding this. Velcro is cheap to order online, you can sew one side to the suit, and hot glue the other to the pad.

Yeah, this is overwhelmingly seeming like the way to go. Thanks everyone!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Magnets.

Dozens of magnets.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

You need a squire!!

In all seriousness, if you ask a fellow cosplayer for some assistance, I'm sure you can get it. A little awkward, but better than not looking cool, right?

Yeah my plan is just to head to the cosplay contest booth and get them to buckle me up before I get the photos done.

Getting back out of it should be no problem.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Magnets.

Dozens of magnets.

Yeah, if you can get some old hard drives, the magnets in there are super strong. So strong you'll probably be unable to separate them without some sort of mini-prybar.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Did another run with Jack of Hearts for C2E2. Only got to spend Sunday afternoon there because of other travel.

Some photos . . . .

Sadly, by the time I remembered to get someone to take a picture with my phone, my LED/Smoke rig had run out of juice. With the bright lighting there, however, the smoke effects were not as great. v0v

With all the Wonder Woman costumes spawned by the upcoming movie, I definitely know my next project

I literally cannot wait to mansplain this one over and over.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, I'm hitting a bit of a brick wall. I want to get a life cast done of my head so I can make a plaster mold for mask making. However, I'd rather get it done by someone that knows what they are doing. Whether that means a professional who does this for a living or someone who doe sit as a hobby but has done it enough times and gotten good results, either or. But I can't find someone in my area that does that. I even reached out to local college art departments and they unfortunately didn't do that kind of work. I'm certainly willing to pay for the supplies and for the time. I don't know if there are some keywords I could try to search for and I just can't put it together or what. I'm in SE Wisconsin in case anyone just happens to know of any groups in the area.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
You're pretty close to Chicago! There are a few sfx makeup schools here that might be able to help you out.

Alternatively I was also looking for something similar in the past, maybe we could just practice on each other?? I have no experience though :(

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So I'm going as Dio from jojo's bizzare adventure for anime north. Part of his design has a black leotard. specifically, the crotch area is exposed in the costume.

I naturally want to to avoid having my little guy be visible through the black fabric. I have ordered padded dancer's belt. Is there anything else I should do to avoid showing up in some embarrassing cosplay pictures?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The dancer's belt should provide everything you need.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Any other goons going to Anime North? I'll be reusing my Corvo costume again, because I am lazy and made no efforts this year. Hopefully it will a) be colder and b) I'll have managed to at least put some padding in the mask so it doesn't give me headaches to wear.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Monaghan posted:

So I'm going as Dio from jojo's bizzare adventure for anime north. Part of his design has a black leotard. specifically, the crotch area is exposed in the costume.

I naturally want to to avoid having my little guy be visible through the black fabric. I have ordered padded dancer's belt. Is there anything else I should do to avoid showing up in some embarrassing cosplay pictures?

Comedy option 8" packer. :haw:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Teen-Boys-BioFlex-Cup/dp/B00181B8R4/

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

cloudy posted:

You're pretty close to Chicago! There are a few sfx makeup schools here that might be able to help you out.

Alternatively I was also looking for something similar in the past, maybe we could just practice on each other?? I have no experience though :(

"In today's news, two goons were found dead in a basement. Investigators believe they died performing some strange ritual that involved smearing plaster over each other's heads, leading to asphyxiation . And now your weather."

I'm in a similar boat, except I want a digital version. I think the free phone apps that do multi image stitching would be good enough in my case. I suppose I could then print out a version.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Skandranon posted:

Any other goons going to Anime North? I'll be reusing my Corvo costume again, because I am lazy and made no efforts this year. Hopefully it will a) be colder and b) I'll have managed to at least put some padding in the mask so it doesn't give me headaches to wear.

I'm hoping to at least make it for one or two days. At most I'll be rocking a Soldier 76 mask.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

So, I'm hitting a bit of a brick wall. I want to get a life cast done of my head so I can make a plaster mold for mask making. However, I'd rather get it done by someone that knows what they are doing. Whether that means a professional who does this for a living or someone who doe sit as a hobby but has done it enough times and gotten good results, either or. But I can't find someone in my area that does that. I even reached out to local college art departments and they unfortunately didn't do that kind of work. I'm certainly willing to pay for the supplies and for the time. I don't know if there are some keywords I could try to search for and I just can't put it together or what. I'm in SE Wisconsin in case anyone just happens to know of any groups in the area.

There's plenty of video tutorials out there. Punished props has a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVip4-hmZmw
And they did one with I Like To Make Stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3rxHJPOWHg

Not having actually done it myself, but having watched the videos, it really seems like more than 1 person doing it will help a lot. There's a distinct time pressure.

For my own 'HALP' issues: I've begun to seal the foam for my Fenn costume, and I'm using white plasti dip for the white parts. But I've discovered to my cost, that sharpie bleeds through white plasti dip.

Does anyone have experience with this and experience with how to avoid it happening?

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015

Skandranon posted:

I'll be there and I'll be dressed up if I have time. I'll shout if I see you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

peach moonshine posted:

I'll be there and I'll be dressed up if I have time. I'll shout if I see you.

Hopefully I can actually wear the costume, last year was too warm and I would have wilted in minutes. I can't understand how other people do it in even heavier costumes...