Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

I can only imagine Oscar speaking in the voice of Colm Meaney. I don't know why but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I imagine Oscar sounds like he spontaneously generated from a London gutter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Or an unholy combination of that and 'ultra-scummy yakuza dude'.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, I imagined him as The Hitcher from Mighty Boosh too.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

White Coke posted:

Why bother getting your head cut off when it won't kill you?

It did kill him, actually, but some people don't die if they are killed

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

atomicthumbs posted:

Oh, he's definitely dead, he's just far enough along the path to royalty that he isn't letting that stop him. Linear time is a lie and all that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

atomicthumbs posted:

Even if Devils can't achieve Royalty I bet they want to become like Himself, who seems to have achieved the Devil equivalent of Royalty.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I can only imagine Oscar speaking in the voice of Colm Meaney. I don't know why but it works.

This works really well, but in my head I hear a more Evil version of Idris Elba from Luther. Like deeper and more gravelly if that's even possible.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I now hear Oscar as Ray Winstone. I mean, who else, really?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
He's Vinnie Jones in my mind.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

oh my god

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
alison randomly has freckles in this scene, is she breaking out in magical meth sores

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
also i don't mean to keep harping on about it (actually i do, it's very important to me) but there was a glimpse of preem nyan at the start of this chapter and his ears have changed to normal sort of elf-looking shape and position rather than huge fluffy fennec fox fiascos on top of his head and i am loving furious about it, you can't change the ears, they're the best part of the comic i want to speak to a manager

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
his blinged-out chihuahua ears are integral to the themes of the story. i will die on this hill.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ears

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

See, I don't get why we're assuming that Allison's crew actually knows better than her about how to handle things, or that she would have any reason to listen to them.

As Vladok, Princess reneged on a deal with Allison and then tried to kill her - and now Princess is basically saying that somehow makes Allison responsible for her angry, violent, blue self. Cio is into Allison, but she also just copped to trying to manipulate and use Allison for her own ends. White Chain has basically promised to betray Allison at an unspecified future date and continually tries to order her around and treats Allison like a not-particularly-intelligent child. Nyave is almost as much a fish out of water as Allison herself - she's also the only one who actually advises Allison instead of using that as an excuse to tell her what to do.

Meanwhile, it's not like Allison's plans have been objectively worse than any of theirs. White Chain's decision to take Allison to see Cio was an outright disaster that could have been easily avoided. Cio's admonitions that Allison couldn't handle what she was taking on haven't exactly been on point. Both have proved to have badly flawed assumptions about the goals of powerful people around them, and done a terrible job of predicting the actions and motivations of those powers.

If anything, Allison has been most successful when she's actively gone against the advice of Cio and White Chain and pulled her bull in the china shop routine.

white chain confirmed smartest member of the party

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Kind of getting weary about the "Allison should be a raging dumbass like Aesma all the time" stuff because I'm not interested in a character who is completely moronic the entirety of this comic. It's funny as a side story characters thing but I hope this tendency for Allison to leap before looking goes away after this arc.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

last chapter allison learned the value of action
this chapter allison learns the value of ________

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

the Live Mas Mentality

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AriadneThread posted:

not loving trusting wholeheartedly the david bowie knockoff you see in your dreams

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

AriadneThread posted:

ears

SunAndSpring posted:

Kind of getting weary about the "Allison should be a raging dumbass like Aesma all the time" stuff because I'm not interested in a character who is completely moronic the entirety of this comic. It's funny as a side story characters thing but I hope this tendency for Allison to leap before looking goes away after this arc.
i have a suspicion things aren't going to go as smoothly as she seems to think and a lesson will be learnt (but the damage will be irreversible)

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Avshalom posted:

a lesson will be learnt (but the damage will be irreversible)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think it's worth noting that the comic talks a lot about Royalty but also seems to be fairly aware of how Royalty is a great way to conquer the universe but not a great way to actually make yourself happy. "Being a furious dumbass" is a path to power but it's not the end-all-be-all of the work's ethos.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it's worth noting that the comic talks a lot about Royalty but also seems to be fairly aware of how Royalty is a great way to conquer the universe but not a great way to actually make yourself happy. "Being a furious dumbass" is a path to power but it's not the end-all-be-all of the work's ethos.

True. It's been making a strong case for noodles as an alternative to Royalty.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

flatluigi posted:

not loving trusting wholeheartedly the david bowie knockoff you see in your dreams

Well now that just doesn't make any sense at all.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

She's not remotely though? We got a parallel story about exactly how Aesma would handle breaking into an impregnable fortress, she just charged straight in and kicked everyone's rear end with unstoppable power because she didn't have the patience for anything more complicated. Allison just did a thorough inventory of the assets she has to hand, pumped the people around her for information on the obstacles ahead, and is now going about prep work recruiting an army and projecting total swaggering confidence that she can just swan in and take what she wants because that's what everyone is responding to. She knows she's out of her depth, and that there's no point in looking helpless and begging someone to bail her out; and if there's one skill of her own she's got confidence in it's her ability to project a simple persona people latch on to. The dumb part is, what, she's not going to just give up?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 5, 2017

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

She's not remotely though? We got a parallel story about exactly how Aesma would handle breaking into an impregnable fortress, she just charged straight in and kicked everyone's rear end with unstoppable power because she didn't have the patience for anything more complicated. Allison just did a thorough inventory of the assets she has to hand, pumped the people around her for information on the obstacles ahead, and is now going about prep work recruiting an army and projecting total swaggering confidence that she can just swan in and take what she wants because that's what everyone is responding to. She knows she's out of her depth, and that there's no point in looking helpless and begging someone to bail her out; and if there's one skill of her own she's got confidence in it's her ability to project a simple persona people latch on to. The dumb part is, what, she's not going to just give up?

She's projecting total swaggering confidence because she's mainlining spiritual amphetamines, she has no idea she's out of her depth because she's literally intoxicated with power.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OK if you really want to ignore the actual explicit writing of the comic to believe she's really just a stupid hapless bimbo fine cool, but that's a thing you are choosing to believe in the face of textual evidence it's not a fault of the story that you have any business whining about.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

nobody is saying she's a dumb hapless helpless bimbo

we're saying she's mainlining spiritual amphetamines and as a result being insufferably, destructively aggressive in her dealings with other people which is working for now but absolutely will lead to a crash at some point because, as someone upthread pointed out, part of the thrust of the story is that ultimate power is achievable but ultimate power does not make people happy.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

OK if you really want to ignore the actual explicit writing of the comic to believe she's really just a stupid hapless bimbo fine cool, but that's a thing you are choosing to believe in the face of textual evidence it's not a fault of the story that you have any business whining about.

bro did you miss the part where there was a whole abattoir of sketched out Incubus addicts? just saying

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Reene posted:

I am. I hope Zaid, the real hero, will make things right soon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Reene posted:

Well Allison sure thinks she's helpless all on her own, which is why she accepted Incubus' Power of Pink in the first place.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

New one's up, I wanna see more of the rooms in Yre.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
holy poo poo it's a D&D module

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Furthest right room is a pretty explicit ref to Shilva, from Dark Souls, I think.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Mazerunner posted:

you don't know how accurate this is :gonk:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lol devils put little flags on their cocktail olives too

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

conspirators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

AriadneThread posted:

not climbing into the statue's mouth