Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I saw that earlier and lol'd at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I hate this school and everyone in it, and their stupid plaid pants.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's fine to say that they think it's too much work for a vanilla release but idk why he then had to immediately put his foot in his mouth lol.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Is it really that hard to imagine a teen girl beating the poo poo out of someone and getting convicted for assault

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck it'd be okay to go 'it's a lot of work to do it for the quality we wanted, and persona 4 and 5 dealt with issues young men faced so there would be even more rewriting required, unlike p3 which had a more general story.'

JT Jag posted:

Is it really that hard to imagine a teen girl beating the poo poo out of someone and getting convicted for assault

honestly that seems like the easiest part to rewrite since you could just make it so that the female protag was the one being creeped on

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like how much they really lean into the lovely adults theme in that even any incidental background adult character has to be an absolute shitheel for no reason.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Link to that article

doing two genders is a loving lot, but lmao at the idea that Persona 4 NEEDED to have a boy there

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I'm still probably the only person who is really unhappy about the font/typesetting in English, but it seriously stands out to me. All of the other menus/UI design is so very stylish, but then they decide to use Verdana/Arial for all of the English text.

Like, look at the Japanese text. The font they use is way more stylish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTIFkomJJNU&t=399s

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ntan1 posted:

I'm still probably the only person who is really unhappy about the font/typesetting in English, but it seriously stands out to me. All of the other menus/UI design is so very stylish, but then they decide to use Verdana/Arial for all of the English text.

I don't like it either, but I feel like no one would really give a poo poo enough to say anything more than people complaining about it are being grognards so I didn't feel the need to bring it up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Looks like ordinary kanji to me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Debating whether or not to use a guide and to max out everything on my first playthrough. I kind of don't want to so I can just play things super cas' but I don't know that I'll do a second playthrough for a while, if ever, so I do want to see everything I can.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm shocked the persona 4 protagonist makes so many cameos

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jesus loving christ lol, especially at their P4 reason.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Oxxidation posted:

Looks like ordinary kanji to me.

It's very small but noticeable, there is a weight to the font in that the bottom strokes/parts of characters are slightly heavier. The curves of the font also have balance to them.

Basically, I've worked with UX folks a bit in software, and this is the sort of thing UX designers drool over.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ntan1 posted:

It's very small but noticeable, there is a weight to the font in that the bottom strokes/parts of characters are slightly heavier. The curves of the font also have balance to them.

Basically, I've worked with UX folks a bit in software, and this is the sort of thing UX designers drool over.

Good thing I'm not one of them, because none of the text looks off to my eyes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think the game could make me hate the first villain anymore, but somehow they have found a way.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My favorite part of the game so far is that they had months to localize but couldn't be arsed to change the room signs in the school building so the only way to find a certain room is to rub your face against the doors til the name pops up.

(Game is good tho)

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I know you guys are too cool to care about the text in your game that's 50% text, but the script really is blatantly sloppy for such a high profile release. There are grammatical errors and poorly translated stock japanese phrases all over the place.

https://twitter.com/XEECEEVEVO/status/849171316418650112

like what the gently caress is this? seriously?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's not that big of a deal holy loving good poo poo you guys just enjoy a thing for being weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think it's okay to criticize a thing for outright errors, even if those errors are only in a handful of lines. i know that might be controversial, but.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

secret volcano lair posted:

like what the gently caress is this? seriously?
it's the sentence "It means they're holding nothing back and are serious to kill us"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know you guys are too cool to care about the text in your game that's 50% text, but the script really is blatantly sloppy for such a high profile release. There are grammatical errors and poorly translated stock japanese phrases all over the place.

Okay, Secret Volcano Lair. How about you post examples from something that isn't the same absurdly hyperbolic twitter post that has been posted five times before.

Endorph posted:

i think it's okay to criticize a thing for outright errors, even if those errors are only in a handful of lines. i know that might be controversial, but.

"Criticize a thing for having errors" does not equal rushing in screaming that the entire script is incoherent, no.

Especially when mysteriously it's the exact same three tweets that keep getting posted.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Is there anything as bad as Berseria's subtitles that looked like they used bad text-to-speech

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, the post is kind of hyperbolic, but that line is an obvious error. they left out the word 'trying.' i dont think it's exaggeration or unfair to criticize the game for being stiff and having some errors, even if some people are going too far with it. you don't need to draw lines in the sand one way or the other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

"Criticize a thing for having errors" does not equal rushing in screaming that the entire script is incoherent, no.
he said 'blatantly sloppy for such a high profile release,' not 'the entire script is incoherent.' i think sloppy is kind of an inaccurate word but it's definitely below par when you compare it to some of the better recent jrpg translations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

he said 'blatantly sloppy for such a high profile release,' not 'the entire script is incoherent.' i think sloppy is kind of an inaccurate word but it's definitely below par when you compare it to some of the better recent jrpg translations.

Like what? Because as far as the JRPG translations I've played the only one I would say doesn't suffer from similar issues is XSEED's Trails translation which is generally not only a good translation but one of the best translations I've ever seen. It's certainly a far sight better than Atelier Firis and overall better than Tales of Berseria as far as I've seen in the game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I dunno maybe the amount of weed I'm smoking is helping me ignore the localization problems but they just don't seem especially glaring to me

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

JT Jag posted:

I dunno maybe the amount of weed I'm smoking is helping me ignore the localization problems but they just don't seem especially glaring to me

I've basically beaten the game, the translation is not glaring out to me like Berseria or other games where they straight out are using different words to the text that are literally just for the english dub.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, Secret Volcano Lair. How about you post examples from something that isn't the same absurdly hyperbolic twitter post that has been posted five times before.

I mean would you actually care if I posted some?

https://twitter.com/BlackDragonHunt/status/849170020202688512

There's plenty more like this going around. Where the sentences are not flat out wrong on a grammatical level, they tend to be really stiff and in serious need of a decent editor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say the overall TL is actually a little worse than berseria? The berseria TL had some garbled lines in sidequests but the main script itself was pretty decent and flowed more naturally than P5 seems to. And I mean, if we're holding Berseria's garbled sidequest lines against it, we have to do the same thing for P5's errors.

Also Nier Automata. And Super Robot Wars V had a lot of unfortunate typos so overall it's probably about on par with this, but SRWV did a lot better with character voice and flow, I felt.

P5's translation isn't terrible or anything, if I were rating it like a hot new release I'd give it like a 3/5, it's like right on the dot acceptable, but there's a definite stiffness to it that reminds me of, say, visual novel fan translations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All of the weird lines seem to be from the first two hours or so. It loosens up considerably after that from what I've seen so far.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

There's plenty more like this going around. Where the sentences are not flat out wrong on a grammatical level, they tend to be really stiff and in serious need of a decent editor

Id say without context the only one that sounds reasonably bad is the second one. Like I can imagine contextual reasons as to why the other 3 lines exist even if they're not what should be probably be used as the wording there but calling it outright gibberish and saying its a poo poo script using singular out of context lines is just begging for people to jump on you and call you a retard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So you do in fact respond exactly by posting the same five twitter posts that people have been posting in this thread. Gotcha.

Endorph posted:

I'd say the overall TL is actually a little worse than berseria? The berseria TL had some garbled lines in sidequests but the main script itself was pretty decent and flowed more naturally than P5 seems to. And I mean, if we're holding Berseria's garbled sidequest lines against it, we have to do the same thing for P5's errors.

Have you actually played through any of P5's translation at all? Or anything past the first two hours?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I'm like three days in so far (working on projects) and this is depressing as poo poo. The music is A+!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Have you actually played through any of P5's translation at all? Or anything past the first two hours?
I mean, does it get better later on? I'm like 6ish hours in.

Seriously, I'm not biased against the game and I think people calling it gibberish are exaggerating and pretty much poisoning the discussion, I just think it's not unfair to criticize the TL for some pretty obvious flaws. If it gets better, than that's good, though that would make me wonder why the first part of the game would be the part that saw the least editing when usually it's the other way around.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's plenty more like this going around.

Yes, they have. Including this thread. While I think it's worth discussing, charging into page 63 going "WOAH HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THESE DAY OLD TWEETS" isn't the best way to start that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I stole a pervs heart, celebrated by bathing with old men, and made coffee.

goty

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I really haven't seen problems with the dialogue so far, it's perfectly understandable.

On an unrelated note, spoilers for early game: "We have one female cast member, how should we do her awakening? Okay, transform in sex dungeon while she is bound up, cat burglar suit, overtly sexual bondage persona". This game has some weird views.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

sexpig by night posted:

I stole a pervs heart, celebrated by bathing with old men, and made coffee.

goty

It's a good game, my dude. Glad you are enoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The first dungeon is not my favorite compared to what comes later, just because it's kinda boring with just the first 3 party members :shrug:

I also factor in voice acting as part of the translation's grade and Berseria has some serious flaws in that department to say it's overall a great product (good, not great).