Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you probably should know how to fight (IE run like gently caress) armored units though because you're a hell of a target for them. If they have you guys doing defilades to actually fight them and poo poo though...

did they every start fielding the Strykers with the 105s? Last I heard they tipped over if firing perpendicular to the truck but IDK I don't keep up with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
MGS's have the 105's and the tipping over thing is a myth. The problem with the MGS's is they're by far the most fault/deadline prone of the stryker variants. When they fielded the double v hull ones last year they all had an issue where they would immediately fire as soon as you loaded a round.

AFAIK against an armored unit they would fire and then immediately displace because they don't have the armor to go toe to toe with tanks. The only AT capabilities of an SBCT are MGS's, ATGM (TOW) strykers and dismounts with javelins.

For some reason they made MGS crews all 19D's now instead of 19K's so now you have crews that don't have any experience doing anything even remotely tank related. There's also no longer any MGS crews with deployment experience on MGS's.

A stryker variant with a 25mm bushmaster were just fielded to 2CR, no idea how those are doing.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

you probably should know how to fight (IE run like gently caress) armored units though because you're a hell of a target for them. If they have you guys doing defilades to actually fight them and poo poo though...

did they every start fielding the Strykers with the 105s? Last I heard they tipped over if firing perpendicular to the truck but IDK I don't keep up with this poo poo.

They fielded them almost a decade ago. They work just fine, they have really nice optics on them and don't tip over. Their advantage against tanks (lol) would have to come from their superior optics and range which I doubt is going to happen.

Strykers own and its hard to believe that Mustang's maintenance stuff is so hosed up. Army mechanics were doing almost all of the work on our Strykers in garrison and deployed around 2008-2009 in Alaska.
They are easy to fix because most serious problems can be solved by just swapping the pack.

I know the Army is retarded but no one is seriously considering sending Strykers up against tank divisions or anything.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Word, I'll admit being ignorant of the Stryker. I remember that they seemed like a hot mess like, poo poo, 10+ years ago. I didn't even realize the 105s had been fielded. I'd only ever seen the ones with the .50cal CROWS or whatever.

Obstacle2 posted:

I know the Army is retarded but no one is seriously considering sending Strykers up against tank divisions or anything.

when it was still like new, I'm talking like 2000ish, there were literally articles saying they'd be able to replace divisions of tanks with these things and poo poo because they'd be so maneuverable and all that, probably would have been true if you only used Gulf War as your frame of reference and it was also probably 90% marketing fluff like a lot of procurement poo poo. I can't find anything at the moment and I'm not inclined to look, but there were dumb articles like that, I remember reading them at my 2nd job at a gas station off their newspaper racks, haha.

edit: it was probably some really pie in the sky popular science article tho :rolleyes:

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 5, 2017

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Word, I'll admit being ignorant of the Stryker. I remember that they seemed like a hot mess like, poo poo, 10+ years ago. I didn't even realize the 105s had been fielded. I'd only ever seen the ones with the .50cal CROWS or whatever.

In Iraq people kept throwing RKG3 grenades at the MGS though because someone thought it was smart to patrol with them like you would in an ICV and no one could see poo poo because there arent enough hatches to stand out of.

Also, Mustang does your unit always have people standing out of the hatches? I remember playing opfor for the SBCT out of Hawaii in NTC and their unit was all trained to stay buttoned up so they wouldnt get shot and they ended up going to Iraq and getting hosed up.

There isn't anything better than a stryker for urban environments but the idea of trying to use them in some massive force on force battle with tanks is laughably stupid.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I touched a Stryker once.

There's my Stryker story.

Also, holy gently caress Mustang, I thought our ADA units three rotations were bad. Seriously, there's no wonder why people are butthurt about that OpTempo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Obstacle2 posted:

In Iraq people kept throwing RKG3 grenades at the MGS though because someone thought it was smart to patrol with them like you would in an ICV and no one could see poo poo because there arent enough hatches to stand out of.

Also, Mustang does your unit always have people standing out of the hatches? I remember playing opfor for the SBCT out of Hawaii in NTC and their unit was all trained to stay buttoned up so they wouldnt get shot and they ended up going to Iraq and getting hosed up.

There isn't anything better than a stryker for urban environments but the idea of trying to use them in some massive force on force battle with tanks is laughably stupid.

Yeah we always have people standing out of the hatches. One of the annoying things about having RWS's now is that gunners no longer have the situational awareness of standing up in a turret so you can't really rely on them to fight the vehicle when the VC dismounts. Scout platoons don't have enough personnel to have people solely dedicated to being VC's.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

Yeah we always have people standing out of the hatches. One of the annoying things about having RWS's now is that gunners no longer have the situational awareness of standing up in a turret so you can't really rely on them to fight the vehicle when the VC dismounts. Scout platoons don't have enough personnel to have people solely dedicated to being VC's.

We were in the turret sleep

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

They can stand in the turrets even with the RWS i dont see the issue here. You can also switch to a free gun in seconds if you want to rambo it. When we were rolling there was someone in all the hatches and the VC was scanning with the RWS. When we dismounted, 3 stayed in the truck. Driver, VC, and one additional guy in the back hatch to pull security. (I know this wont work for you because you are hilariously undermanned) The VC scans with the camera or stands out of the hatch depending on whatever is better.

Don't knock the RWS. In actual combat the camera is extremely useful and with the storm the 50 and mk19 are point point accurate well beyond what anyone manning the gun manually would be. It really extends the effective range of those guns.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
If you aren't a retard bitch the RWS is pretty drat good. Pray you have a VC/Gunner or however you assign it (I was the VC of my Stryker, and gunner) that is competent with the M2 or Mk19 along with the RWS. It's not that hard but then again it's the army and loving lol. Stay popped out of the hatch for close to medium range scanning, jump down and get on the RWS for long range scanning. Also yeah do the Rambo thing because who doesn't wanna be Rambo with a fiddy? Pussies, that's who :colbert:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The gunner should always be out of the hatch even with the RWS. Only time I dropped down was to shoot or put optics on something. Disengaging the RWS for manual fire is an emergency measure and is otherwise highly discouraged, though, because apparently it's a giant pain in the dick to recalibrate after (disclaimer: I have never done this). Strykers obviously aren't ideal against armor, but 3rd BDE (now 1st) did fairly well (relatively speaking) in conventional poo poo at NTC in 2011. "Fairly well" meaning "mostly held our own," because lol if anybody thinks they can actually beat 11th ACR at their own game.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Man I miss shooting heavy weapons :smith:

But not enough to want to be in the Army anymore so fuuuuuuuuck that, I'll just get a plane ticket to Knob Creek Kentucky and go to the machinegun shoot.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

The gunner should always be out of the hatch even with the RWS. Only time I dropped down was to shoot or put optics on something. Disengaging the RWS for manual fire is an emergency measure and is otherwise highly discouraged, though, because apparently it's a giant pain in the dick to recalibrate after (disclaimer: I have never done this). Strykers obviously aren't ideal against armor, but 3rd BDE (now 1st) did fairly well (relatively speaking) in conventional poo poo at NTC in 2011. "Fairly well" meaning "mostly held our own," because lol if anybody thinks they can actually beat 11th ACR at their own game.

Cite your FMs

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man yeah I'd like to shoot a .50, or even a 240 or saw even right about now

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm fairly certain I'll never shoot another automatic firearm at a person in my lifetime and that's depressing.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I'm fairly certain I'll never shoot another automatic firearm at a person in my lifetime and that's depressing.

maybe in the peoples revolution/post apocalyptic wasteland you'll find one to play with!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

maybe in the peoples revolution/post apocalyptic wasteland you'll find one to play with!

i can only hope

how you been dude? haven't seen you postin for a bit.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

i can only hope

how you been dude? haven't seen you postin for a bit.

took a week or two off, its good for the soul to pull myself away from reading about trump and just play videogames and jerk off and poo poo and try to not care like back int eh old days (last year lol)

I've been fine man I'm just a recluse and work on cooking and baking new things :) I made key lime bars the other week, that was fun. You have to squeeze a LOT of key limes for a cup and half of juice!

I think tomorrow i'm going to make eggrolls

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

TBeats posted:

Cite your FMs
lol

ST 3-20.983 is like a bible for scouts, though. Mustang, you should get your hands on a copy. There was some website that had been doing reprints, it's probably still out there.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
there's no point in learning FMs because someone that outranks will poo poo all over you if you try to actually follow them vs. whatever dumb throwaway line they heard in a 2 week course by a dumbass instructor/saw in a movie

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Yeah :smith:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Uh I didn't type the "at a person part"

Mods/IKs doing some fast post editing :tinfoil:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The only automatic weapon I'd really like to shoot again is the 240. That thing is my baby.

I got to shoot a few rounds out of a full auto MPX a couple months ago, and it just made me mad that my MP5K doesn't have a giggle switch.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks for the information comrades!

I feel like some of this stuff might be way too detailed for comedy forums purposes.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Uh I didn't type the "at a person part"

Mods/IKs doing some fast post editing :tinfoil:

:tinfoil: i quoted you within a minute and either they edited mine or what because I really don't remember seeing that part and also I'm drinking so who knows lol

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Naked Bear posted:

lol

is like a bible for scouts, though. Mustang, you should get your hands on a copy. There was some website that had been doing reprints, it's probably still out there.

Every time I go out into the field I have a copy of the Recon Handbook. Also the Recon PLT FM but I don't use it as much.

Weirdly I'm the only person I've seen bring a copy of the Recon Handbook anywhere.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The "at a person" part is why I quoted it.

Someone link that "killing people is cool" post.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
A lot of the FMs, TMs and all that are actually full of really good poo poo if you actually read any of them, I mean the army paid the best and the brightest for a lot of those. Leadership manual is actually really versatile to a lot of situations in the world, it probably seems common sense to you that are in like "providing purpose direction and motivation" but I've had to help my wife with a lot of her struggles in an academic setting and I no poo poo like find myself quoting or paraphrasing a lot of it and its like mind blowing to people. leadership training is one of those things thats lame as gently caress when you're in because it seems kinda dumb while you're in, but you're living its principals in some fashion or another 24/7 in the army, while in the real world man there really isn't an equivalent for the most part.

It was so frustrating because in my CM unit I read a lot of the manuals and like, I swear to god I was extremely knowledgeable about poo poo an would constantly conflict with leadership on how a CBRN Recon platoon is supposed to function but I was just an E5 that didn't like combatives so I was poo poo so lets train in a way thats probably actually the complete opposite of what we need to do because no one understands how CM attacks work in "FULL SPECTRUM WARFARE" or whatever catchphrase they were hot on which essentially boiled down to doing stand to and digging foxholes

edit: Myopic is the word, but then again it was NBC, no body cares

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
drat HCT has an eye for the poo poo I never think about, but then I read his posts and it's like, holy gently caress. Yeah, that's the perfect way of putting it, re: leadership and crap. It's like if the military had a monopoly on using your dick, so everyone in uniform was totally over it, but civilians are walking around all day totally amazed at cock tricks and I should probably go to bed

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i liked the army for the most part it was just al lthe other people in it that made it so bad. half the really dumbass rules wouldn't exist if it wasnt for those people you know

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

i liked the army for the most part it was just al lthe other people in it that made it so bad. half the really dumbass rules wouldn't exist if it wasnt for those people you know

i've been out long enough that the idea of the army sort of seems cool, but i live near a base now and every so often i get reminded...oh yeah, soldiers.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Whenever I get nostalgic for the army I just remind myself about that dumb thought when I drive by Ft Lewis and then I just laugh and then sort of feel bad because Mustang is there and lol.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i liked getting paid enough to be hoodrich for really probably the loving easiest job. Like when it sucked it sucked but healthcare and 30 days leave that maybe I could take? thats so good compared to like 90% of america lmao. And now (hypothetically) i get paid for life? DOUBLELMAO

when I was recruiting, in Idaho, a very conservative place people would like anonymously buy us lunch and poo poo I hated that because like poo poo I knew I was probably better off than some old dude. It's really weird. On Veterans day or Memorial Day I don't remember I was locking up the office after having to run a kid to ship to basic, and some dude ran up and smashed $50 in my hand and told me to get dinner. I like refused it but I mean you know you can't after a point. Virtue signalling here but I took it and spent it groceries for some food drive because man what the gently caress. Don't give me money. I wish people would give a poo poo about something other than sucking military dick for facebook points or whatever they do. I kind of miss being "respectable" or whatever but gently caress man that poo poo broke my brain trying to deal with all the retardation.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
One time I was going ot the grocery attached to my office and I swear to god it was like bacon and a bunch of alcohol and some old lady wanted to pay and I'm like "Please ma'am no I'm fine" and she's like "MY HUSBAND DIED IN KOREA" or some poo poo and like what the gently caress do you say to that

i'm a fraud rear end piece of poo poo in todays army lol like jfc.

being in the military away from a military base is such a different experience, it's embarassing. it was also bad because as soon as you saw a dude in a vietnam hat you had to like runaway and avoid eye contact otherwise they'd regale you with STDH.txt / Platoon/Apocalypse Now Quotes or talk about their "brother" and their experiences for like 30 min

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
About the only time I felt it was genuine, "support are troops" was when I was flying back from leave to get back to Iraq. Some big storms or some poo poo cancelled a bunch of flights so I got stuck in Dallas for the weekend. These three old ladies were with a big group of people welcoming troops and all that poo poo. They took me and some other guys out to dinner so we weren't stuck in the hotel and bought us food and booze. Then they brought us to one of their houses and hung out with their family. They were really nice and genuinely gave a poo poo, not just empty platitudes. I kept in touch with them for a while on Facebook for years too. gently caress, even with my stupid family it's just empty platitudes, like I'm kind of cutting off contact with my family right now because of I'm just loving tired of their poo poo, I laid it all out to my aunt about all the poo poo, especially how my family didn't even bother to mail me letters or try to call me while I was deployed to see how I was doing, or bother being there for me once I got out and was dealing with all the crazy poo poo in my head. She just straight up went into this bullshit making it about her and how she was ashamed she wasn't there for me and she supports the troops and bla bla bla. gently caress, the only people that have been there for me are my girlfriend, my war buddies, you guys, and some little old ladies from Dallas.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah 99% of the goodwill I got here would have been loving transformed to literally making GBS threads on my face if I told them I was liberal or something lol

my family and I are like basically estranged at this point, not for anything bad just growing distant after a decade of the army and not taking enough leave to justify cross country trips and like IDK. I got really drunk and angry and burnt a bunch of bridges IDK. you got more going on than me right now as far as support lol, but I'm coming out of hte dark poo poo a bit on my own lately so IDK.

anyhow mike-o man please feel free to talk with me anytime, you can pm me or we could hangouts or something IDC, I like you and the poo poo you say so I promise I don't mean this in some feel good way dude like whatever man. i know you saw more poo poo than me but whatever man you're my homie

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Army Thread: I hurt myself today, to see if I could feel.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
really should go back to "these fuckers already dont give a gently caress about me" or whatever

Shim my man you don't know how good y'all had it in the USAF. I never heard anyoen in the army say they should've joined the USMC or USN but "I should have joined the USAF" was almost daily, ya'all lived the high life

probably helps being stripped of 200 years of "tradition"

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Army Thread: I hurt myself today, to see if I could feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
army wont allow cutters but every other branch will I think, makes u think