Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The sound effect the giants make in Ringed City is the coolest sound effect FROM have ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHISHKABOB posted:

Dude the kiln of the first flame, this is like freakin end of evangelion.

It all returns to nothingdark
It all comes
tumbling down tumbling down tumbling down

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
every single spear of the church is using those new twin blades, and are very hard to beat

fromsoft didnt put much thought into balancing them i guess. the hurt box on the dash attack where they charge with both swords is insane

Relin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 5, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Relin posted:

every single spear of the church is using those new twin blades, and are very hard to beat

fromsoft didnt put much thought into balancing them i guess

Every spear of the church I met just rolled around trying to let the homing balls do the job.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Wait, was I supposed to get a soul from Midir?
Edit: and from the spear of the church fight?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nope, just demon prince and the last boss

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Raptor1033 posted:

Wait, was I supposed to get a soul from Midir?
Edit: and from the spear of the church fight?

Spear doesn't drop a soul (it drops a slab instead). Each of the other three bosses in this DLC drops a soul, and each of their souls can be transposed into two things.

e: Midir, in addition to his soul, also drops the spear covenant. Final boss also drops a plot thing that can be given to an NPC for dialogue but no practical reward.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love this DLC, it's really pretty and has some memorable boss fights and some cool new gear.

Spear fight: Don't people just run straight to Argo and kill him at the start? He just stands there like a dope.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Oh god Nier and Zelda have undone 7 years of muscle memory :negative:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Yeah the real boss is the spear. If you don't kill the biggy he just sinks into the ground

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Gave in and summoned Gael, was sick of the third phase's bullshit. I'm sorry Games.

Got twenty sunlight medals out of that boss alone, so there's that. :sigh:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

You'll know a fatal prism stone fall noise. It's a blood curdling death shriek, where the survivable falls are CLANG sounds.

'shriek' is a better descriptor, yes, but that's definitively the sound a prism stone makes when thrown before the final survivable fall down to earthen peak 2.0.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is there any way to make the shiv's damage less poo poo

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Tallgeese posted:

Well...

Funny thing about that...

Bans are loving temporary in DS3. And once the tempban is lifted it's like they forget to reban that account ever.

Are you sure? I was reading all over that the softban was irreversible, and it involved being moved to a special cheaters only server.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

AlternateNu posted:

• Reduced damage of "Exile Greatsword"

instant uninstall for me. on my main dude that's the weapon i have used literally since launch. what the gently caress

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
^^: I've been up long enough I can't tell if that's a joke or not but, that sword will probably still be really good on a quality build.

Blender time with the twin greatswords was fun while it lasted.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they specifically buffed the damage of curved greatsword on top of heavy/sharp infusions being made worth a poo poo so i don't think tuning back the damage on the exile greatsword a little will matter much. and i say this as someone who also uses the thing mainly. overall they're still way better than they used to be

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Anthing to do after I beat Slave Knight? Like the other dlc this just kind of runs out of poo poo to do. It doesnt end. I never wondered in previous games if I was done with a dlc. I spent 5 minutes running around the dunes and nothing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Better other infusions are good. I hope they're worthwhile now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Anyone know what the various pieces of armor are here? Besides the big hat, I mean. This is just a random fashion screenshot I liked.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The chest is vilhelm's armor and the legs might be dancers.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

CJacobs posted:

Anyone know what the various pieces of armor are here? Besides the big hat, I mean. This is just a random fashion screenshot I liked.

Vilhelm's legs and armor with jailer's gloves.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks, friendos. :respek:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Man, Gael just takes insane punishment on NG++. It takes me a 5 solid minutes just to get past the first phase, tried about a dozen +10 weapons now. Weapon buffs barely do anything, and he doesn't seem to bleed either. They're 5 incredibly fun minutes, but man that's a long run up to a - not even final - form that crunches me up real drat good.

Bombadilillo posted:

Anthing to do after I beat Slave Knight? Like the other dlc this just kind of runs out of poo poo to do. It doesnt end. I never wondered in previous games if I was done with a dlc. I spent 5 minutes running around the dunes and nothing.
Hilariously that's exactly how i and my friends felt after defeating Manus. And we liked that dlc as much as everyone else.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

There should be other things in that area to do. but yeah pvp, basically. If you didn't pass the dragon.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
What's a good mid-game spear? My stats are 21/40 (waiting for greatlance) and I've been using a Pike but the damage is pathetic with your charge and special. Is the Follower's Sabre still useful?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'd consider the Lothric Spear(technically a pike) to be pretty good, mainly because its R2 isn't a charging attack.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Gargoyle spear is the best but thats late game

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Ledo's hammer doesn't seem to get talked about much, but I've been trying it out and it's pretty fun. The weapon art is both a weapon buff (pretty sure? It gives some sort of buff icon) and also a double-hitting 360 spin attack that can combo into an overhead swing, though I'm not entirely sure if you can hitstun into it or maybe catch a roll, I feel like it's too slow to stun into, but it's also so slow that an immediate roll might result in coming out just in time to be smashed.

The heavy attack is super telegraphed, so I'm not sure how much utility might be attained from it, but at least it looks cool. The R1s are the standard great mace types and those are solid.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

There should be other things in that area to do. but yeah pvp, basically. If you didn't pass the dragon.

Don't care about pvp and killt dat dragon so look guess I beat Dark Souls. Kind of a wet fart ending for the last content ever.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Tallgeese that was loving bullshit. Don't invade my boss arena you gently caress, you know how hard Midir is without some jackass coming in and ruining your run?

EDIT: I was extremely salty when typing the original post out, because I had finally summoned 3 people, which is very hard to do with Midir because summons keep getting snatched up, and I thought this might be the run (I already beat him on my paladin, but now I was on my quality build). Suddenly, some white phantom with two health bars pops in out of nowhere into the boss arena and kills us all off with Gael's Greatsword. I was pissed. I've beaten him now though so it's all good.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 5, 2017

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Your Computer posted:

DS3 completely eclipses the previous games, but I agree that DS2 was weaker. It had more.. "ambient" tracks? Kinda?

That said, tell me The Duke's Dear Freya doesn't loving sound like spiders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn8VM9c6RcM

that's a horror movie soundtrack if I ever heard one :magical:

I agree in general, but Nashandra into Aldia might be my favourite music in the series.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

My Spear of the Church fight was rather underwhelming. I initially ended up with Halflight, and promptly died. On my second attempt I was matched with a player who spent the majority of the fight running away from me while trying to heal from the remaining painting guardian. They never once used any of the special covenant items. Eventually, they died from a stray explosion that came from somewhere behind me, presumably from Unbreakable Patches, but he was engaged in melee at the time. I'm still puzzled by it, and a little annoyed that I missed out on interesting boss encounter.

basalt fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 5, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Gologle posted:

Tallgeese that was loving bullshit. Don't invade my boss arena you gently caress, you know how hard Midir is without some jackass coming in and ruining your run?

EDIT: I was extremely salty when typing the original post out, because I had finally summoned 3 people, which is very hard to do with Midir because summons keep getting snatched up, and I thought this might be the run (I already beat him on my paladin, but now I was on my quality build). Suddenly, some white phantom with two health bars pops in out of nowhere into the boss arena and kills us all off with Gael's Greatsword. I was pissed. I've beaten him now though so it's all good.

This owns.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

basalt posted:

My Spear of the Church fight was rather underwhelming. I initially ended up with Halflight, and promptly died. On my second attempt I was matched with a player who spent the majority of the fight running away from me while trying to heal from the remaining painting guardian. They never once used any of the special covenant items. Eventually, they died from a stray explosion that came from somewhere behind me, presumably from Unbreakable Patches, but he was engaged in melee at the time. I'm still puzzled by it, and a little annoyed that I missed out on interesting boss encounter.

Mine was an afker who I promptly one shot with a backstab :v:

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Kild posted:

Mine was an afker who I promptly one shot with a backstab :v:
It's fortunate that you can reset this boss, I suppose!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is Gael's Greatsword a good PvE weapon? I'm going to run through the first half or so of my NG++ with Exile's Curved Greatsword and then am thinking about doing a respec into a quality weapon. Haven't used any Greatswords in DkS3​. This one looks fun, but it feels like losing the ability to buff and infuse would hurt a lot in NG+ and beyond.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Its real cool they brought back fan favorite PvP boss fight.

Its real real cool they for the first time since best in class DS2 let you reset a boss.

Still can't but be disappointed at the last souls content. Don't know how they were gonna live up to it. Slave gael bounding over the ash plains was really freaky, but not a capstone.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bombadilillo posted:

Its real cool they brought back fan favorite PvP boss fight.

Its real real cool they for the first time since best in class DS2 let you reset a boss.

Still can't but be disappointed at the last souls content. Don't know how they were gonna live up to it. Slave gael bounding over the ash plains was really freaky, but not a capstone.

Just a shame they didn't bring back the bonfire ascetics as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Don't know how they were gonna live up to it.

That would've required a more emotionally resonant story, I think. Everything in the base game's simply too by-the-numbers to make you care enough for the Ringed City to matter. They really, really needed to sell the fact that this is the literal apocalypse - the end of the cycle of Fire and Dark, once and for all - and they didn't, which makes the final fight seem more like a side story than the culmination of everything the game's been leading up to.