Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

On the draw: T1 land or green cantrip, T2 land Harnessed Lightning/Essence Scatter/Anticipate, T3 land Bird God leaves you 5 cards in hand. Draw up to 6, play land to 5. Activating his ability puts you at 7 to kill a Gideon, or leaves up a counterspell and stops your opponent from attacking.

This is a totally reasonable play pattern when a common opening from the opponent is turn 2 Heart of Kiran, turn 3 Thalia, turn 4 Gideon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

On the draw: T1 land or green cantrip, T2 land Harnessed Lightning/Essence Scatter/Anticipate, T3 land Bird God leaves you 5 cards in hand. Draw up to 6, play land to 5. Activating his ability puts you at 7 to kill a Gideon, or leaves up a counterspell and stops your opponent from attacking.

This is a totally reasonable play pattern when a common opening from the opponent is turn 2 Heart of Kiran, turn 3 Thalia, turn 4 Gideon.

I see the blue god as something you play on like turn eight with counterspell backup as a finisher for your hard control deck. Trying to swing with it on turn 4 might be more of a plan B for your bad matchups.

It obviously remains to be seen whether that kind of deck is worth playing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
In seeing the formation of a delerium/madness/counters kind deck. I'm going to have to start brainstorming it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk what's going on behind the scenes at Wizards, but both the design and development articles talk a whole lot about revolving door stuff with multiple staff getting yanked off Amonkhet for... some unspecified reason

Wizards going "oh god oh god fix it" and throwing more staff at the next block?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I hope they have something more exciting planned for the next couple days, because what we've been shown so far has been pretty unexciting. I wish they'd commit more to the new mechanics whenever they print them, but it always ends up being like 7 cards out of a 290 card set has one of the new keywords, never to be seen again in another set.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

In seeing the formation of a delerium/madness/counters kind deck. I'm going to have to start brainstorming it.

*thinking really hard* what if I cast a 2 mana 4/4 instead

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

*thinking really hard* what if I cast a 2 mana 4/4 instead

Do you want the 2-mana 4/4 with restrictive colour requirements that requires you to play bad cards to make it not just a 2/2, the new 2-mana 4/4 that wants you to kill a different one of your creatures otherwise it's just a 1/1, or the 2-mana 4/4 with flying and vigilance that only wants you to play the other best card in the format?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jabor posted:

Do you want the 2-mana 4/4 with restrictive colour requirements that requires you to play bad cards to make it not just a 2/2, the new 2-mana 4/4 that wants you to kill a different one of your creatures otherwise it's just a 1/1, or the 2-mana 4/4 with flying and vigilance that only wants you to play the other best card in the format?

Uhh, I'll just white weenies, I guess?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hey look, a card during spoiler season

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wonder what their rationale was for leading with so many draft cards. Are they just writing the set off for Constructed?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder what their rationale was for leading with so many draft cards.

Idk, was wondering the same. Maybe the want to try more of a rising or bell curve preview season?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I liked this card a lot more when it was one of the many better versions, starting with undo

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Rinkles posted:

man this is going to be a fun draft environment

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder what their rationale was for leading with so many draft cards. Are they just writing the set off for Constructed?

Maybe they're doing another early B&R update, and they're holding the constructed cards until after that. I mean, knowing whether or not copycat is still in the format is probably going to totally change the evaluation of a lot of cards.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Elyv posted:

I liked this card a lot more when it was one of the many better versions, starting with undo

Did Floodwaters really need to be double the cost of Undo just because of cycling?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
This has been a 4-5 mana effect for many years. It's still playable at 6 mana assuming there is a cycling matters theme in blue in limited.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Did Floodwaters really need to be double the cost of Undo just because of cycling?

They can't sell lunchboxes with it so why should it be a strong card?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

cycling is way better in expensive cards because it reduces the cost of putting them in your deck

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Into the Void was quite a strong uncommon in a couple different formats, I don't think you want that efficiency rate on this effect at common.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Onslaught split the difference

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

Onslaught split the difference

I would have liked this reprint but I guess they don't want 3-cost cycling.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

do u believe in marigolds posted:

It needed to be twice the cost of Undo because Undo was fuckin bonkers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I would have liked this reprint but I guess they don't want 3-cost cycling.

Why do you think that?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lone Goat posted:

It needed to be twice the cost of Undo because Undo was fuckin bonkers.

For real. I can't imagine how miserable a draft format would be with actual Undo in it. Into the Void was strong as an uncommon that cost more than undo and had no cycling.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Why do you think that?
Dumb dumb dumb.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 5, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ein Sexmonster posted:

So far all the cycling cards have had the basic (2) cost. Instead they've opted for more cycling-matters cards.\

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Oops.
Yea I guess they didn't like the flavor of the name for this set.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

Why do you think that?

Have we seen any ones like that? Besides the cycle in Alara Reborn which are three, and the Shards of Alara cycle where the cycling cost is doubled, every other cycler in Alara block was 2 or less. I am going to doubt we will have one that cost more than 2 in this set, maybe the next one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GoutPatrol posted:

Have we seen any ones like that? Besides the cycle in Alara Reborn which are three, and the Shards of Alara cycle where the cycling cost is doubled, every other cycler in Alara block was 2 or less. I am going to doubt we will have one that cost more than 2 in this set, maybe the next one.

Not yet, but Onslaught had a ton of Cycling 3 and some Cycling 2C cards, so why wouldn't Amonkhet?

They should reprint Complicate.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
wombo

add some Wharf Infiltrator for some more spice

moush fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 5, 2017

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I think Drake Haven is just the card to make Smuggler's Copter relevant in Standard again. I haven't seen it for months.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
That's kinda mana intensive, and you'll look like a chump if you don't draw the creation. I mean, there's some pretty explosive turns where you just poop out 5 2/2 flyers, but then before that you're kind of doing a lot of nothing.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Veyrall posted:

That's kinda mana intensive, and you'll look like a chump if you don't draw the creation. I mean, there's some pretty explosive turns where you just poop out 5 2/2 flyers, but then before that you're kind of doing a lot of nothing.

Well, it's not the only blue zombie in the SOI block. U/R Zombies is a thing.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I thought UR zombies was actually UR emerge though? And UR emerge really has no need for these cards.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Veyrall posted:

I thought UR zombies was actually UR emerge though? And UR emerge really has no need for these cards.

It plays tormenting voice and cathartic reunion.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Yeah, I think the format would have to slow for them to be usable, but UR emerge does pitch a lot of cards.

Actually, there might be a UW or Jeskai Zombie Emerge deck now. Huh.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of the format, when's the next B/R announcement?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Siivola posted:

Speaking of the format, when's the next B/R announcement?

It's scheduled for the 24th (just after the prerelease).

Which is a bit strange, given that last time they said

quote:

With the full set of Aether Revolt just revealed last Friday, we knew that the new cards would be evaluated in light of the current format, and players would spend a week brewing, creating decklists, and dreaming of what to do next. So, in the interest of giving players the time and context to evaluate Aether Revolt accurately, we moved the date up by a week.

You'd think they'd have scheduled this time a little earlier so they don't have this problem literally every time they think a ban is warranted.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Isn't Drake Haven just once per discard event, no matter how many cards are discarded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think Drake Haven is just the card to make Smuggler's Copter relevant in Standard again. I haven't seen it for months.

:qq: This hurts.

• Locked thread