Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wish there was a plugin that would stop those videos, but also send an email to the webmaster telling how terrible of a person they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

IUG posted:

I wish there was a plugin that would stop those videos, but also send an email to the webmaster telling how terrible of a person they are.

There isn't a plugin but you can enable something in the advanced menu. I had to google for it. Now I have to click to play any video. So much better. That's safari only of course.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Please elaborate

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Please elaborate
It's like the first Google result. Enable the Debug (not Developer) menu and it's in there.

http://macreports.com/disable-auto-play-videos-safari-macos/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thanks, sorry, phone posting and couldn't wait :circlefap:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On another note, does anyone here have an Apple TV (4th gen) that they have to reboot every single day in order to get it to reconnect to their iTunes?

I've been patiently waiting for them to fix this bug but tvOS 10.2 just dropped and it's the same crap as ever. Oh you're home? Hi, I'll wake up from sleep. You want "Computers"? TURN ON HOME SHARING IN ITUNES.

Restarting iTunes doesn't help. The only thing that does is rebooting the Apple TV. Every single day.

(Laptop connected via wifi, Apple TV via ethernet; but it doesn't matter, I've tried the laptop via ethernet on the same switch, doesn't make a difference, it just doesn't reconnect)

eames
May 9, 2009

Did one of the recent Safari updates move simple HTTP authentication boxes to the chrome instead of the old popup below the address bar? :tinfoil:

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's like the first Google result. Enable the Debug (not Developer) menu and it's in there.

http://macreports.com/disable-auto-play-videos-safari-macos/

I've seen several posts that recommend the "Disable Inline Video" option, but I've had better luck with "Video requires user action" (in the same menu).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Data Graham posted:

On another note, does anyone here have an Apple TV (4th gen) that they have to reboot every single day in order to get it to reconnect to their iTunes?
I have never had that happen, but I have an always-on (but almost always sleeping) iMac, not a laptop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vtlock posted:

I've seen several posts that recommend the "Disable Inline Video" option, but I've had better luck with "Video requires user action" (in the same menu).

The latter breaks videos on embedded tweets.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
This seems hopeless, but maybe one of the thread wizards has an idea I can pursue.

I just got a MBP at work to replace a Dell notebook. I'm not sure how or why it worked in the past, but I was able to sync my work calendar (Outlook/exchange I guess?) with my iPhone 6, then 7. On the Windows machine, when the phone was plugged in, in iTunes when I selected my phone, there was a dropdown list next to “Sync Calendars” in the Info tab. One of the choices was “Outlook.” Under that was the box with checkboxes for different Outlook calendars like Birthdays, Calendar, United States Holidays, etc, basically what I understand to be sub-calendars in my Outlook account.

So now that I have the Mac, I figured interoperability would be at least as good, if not better. No such luck, as the Calendars section of the Info window in iTunes has no dropdown directly to the right of “Sync Calendars,” and the list below is clogged up with all manner of calendars. I recognize the accounts associated with all of them, but didn't expect to see 22 or whatever. They all end in @apidata.googleusercontent.com or @p47-caldav.icloud.com.

To be clear, this is a work-provided computer and email account, and a personal phone. There's no official support for this, it's just good to be able to see what I've got coming up tomorrow or have teleconference numbers available in the notes sections of appointments. As far as I can tell I have the same iTunes version on both, everything is as updated as I can get it.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

uwaeve posted:

This seems hopeless, but maybe one of the thread wizards has an idea I can pursue.

I just got a MBP at work to replace a Dell notebook. I'm not sure how or why it worked in the past, but I was able to sync my work calendar (Outlook/exchange I guess?) with my iPhone 6, then 7. On the Windows machine, when the phone was plugged in, in iTunes when I selected my phone, there was a dropdown list next to “Sync Calendars” in the Info tab. One of the choices was “Outlook.” Under that was the box with checkboxes for different Outlook calendars like Birthdays, Calendar, United States Holidays, etc, basically what I understand to be sub-calendars in my Outlook account.

So now that I have the Mac, I figured interoperability would be at least as good, if not better. No such luck, as the Calendars section of the Info window in iTunes has no dropdown directly to the right of “Sync Calendars,” and the list below is clogged up with all manner of calendars. I recognize the accounts associated with all of them, but didn't expect to see 22 or whatever. They all end in @apidata.googleusercontent.com or @p47-caldav.icloud.com.

To be clear, this is a work-provided computer and email account, and a personal phone. There's no official support for this, it's just good to be able to see what I've got coming up tomorrow or have teleconference numbers available in the notes sections of appointments. As far as I can tell I have the same iTunes version on both, everything is as updated as I can get it.

Why not set it up in your phone directly in Settings>Mail>Accounts? You can select whether you want to pull mail, contacts, calendar, reminders, and notes from your Exchange account there as well.

Or install Outlook.app (which is actually pretty good) on your phone.

I can't recall the last time I've ever used iTunes to sync that kind of data.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

uwaeve posted:

Stop syncing with iTunes. It's hot garbage on every OS. My dad managed to brick both his iPhone 7s last week trying to do an iTunes sync because his PC restarted mid update. Outlook for iOS is better than Mail imo but they're both good enough for Exchange servers. Set the Exchange account up in the settings app of your iDevice and it will just work.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any kind of iTunes sync has to be cloud-based; the software will destroy your computer and break your spirit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Theophany posted:

Stop syncing with iTunes. It's hot garbage on every OS. My dad managed to brick both his iPhone 7s last week trying to do an iTunes sync because his PC restarted mid update. Outlook for iOS is better than Mail imo but they're both good enough for Exchange servers. Set the Exchange account up in the settings app of your iDevice and it will just work.

He bricked them? They didn't just need a restore?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tuyop posted:

He bricked them? They didn't just need a restore?

Nope, totally bricked and in the mail back to Apple for warranty work. I reckon it was an unprompted Windows 10 update restart mid iOS update what done it. Either way, the phones throw up error 14 every time we tried restoring them, no matter what we tried and Apple suggested.

That kind of poo poo just doesn't happen when you do all your updates OTA.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

My mac is constantly 90-100% CPU and I'm going crazy because of how slow it becomes sometimes. These are the CPU core and CPU proximity temps:

Is it thermal throttling? What can I do to fix it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

My mac is constantly 90-100% CPU and I'm going crazy because of how slow it becomes sometimes. These are the CPU core and CPU proximity temps:

What does
code:
in terminal give you? Or Activity Monitor?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gmq posted:

Yes, it's almost certainly thermal throttling.

What is iStat Menu reporting regarding your fan speed? Because I've only seen those kind of temps in two situations: fan stops working or the heatsink has separated from the CPU and/or GPU.

EDIT: Wait, are those temps in F or C? Because I just checked in mine and it defaults the scale to local, so all mine is Fahrenheit.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 4, 2017

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

flosofl posted:

Yes, it's almost certainly thermal throttling.

What is iStat Menu reporting regarding your fan speed? Because I've only seen those kind of temps in two situations: fan stops working or the heatsink has separated from the CPU and/or GPU.

EDIT: Wait, are those temps in F or C? Because I just checked in mine and it defaults the scale to local, so all mine is Fahrenheit.

Fan speed: 6200
It's in Celsius.

Is there anything I can do? Would opening and cleaning it help? I'd need to buy those penta screwdrivers though. (It's a late 2013 13" macbook pro retina)

I rebooted after leaving it alone for a while so it seems to have calmed down for now but it always goes back to 90% after a couple of hours. The previous screenshots were with a bit more of a day of uptime.

tuyop posted:

What does
code:
in terminal give you? Or Activity Monitor?

Right now it's normal but sometimes kernel_task is going crazy but usually Chrome, electron apps or ruby/node are +100% depending on what I'm working on. I'd blame the software but they usually work fine until they just don't, even after restarting the processes.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 4, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's the status text for your battery when you click the icon?

eames
May 9, 2009

Open, clean, ideally reapply fresh "overclocking-grade" thermal paste. My mac mini had similarly mysterious problems and very high load averages, that fixed it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gmq posted:

Fan speed: 6200
It's in Celsius.

Is there anything I can do? Would opening and cleaning it help? I'd need to buy those penta screwdrivers though. (It's a late 2013 13" macbook pro retina)

Yeah, that's crazy high for the fan speed and the temp.

For instance I on my 15" 2016 rMBP I've got two VMs open, and RDP session and a few SSH sessions running (although the RDP and SSH shouldn't really have much of an impact). I'm seeing an average of 97 ℉ and my fans hovering around 2100rpm.

It sounds like the fan and the temp sensors are working because the fan sounds like it's maxed out speed-wise. I'd really look at the heatsink pulling free from the CPU. There should be some good tutorials on how to reapply the heat sink on YouTube for whatever your specific model is (sorry, if you said. I must have missed it if so)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

flosofl posted:

Yeah, that's crazy high for the fan speed and the temp.

For instance I on my 15" 2016 rMBP I've got two VMs open, and RDP session and a few SSH sessions running (although the RDP and SSH shouldn't really have much of an impact). I'm seeing an average of 97 ℉ and my fans hovering around 2100rpm.

It sounds like the fan and the temp sensors are working because the fan sounds like it's maxed out speed-wise. I'd really look at the heatsink pulling free from the CPU. There should be some good tutorials on how to reapply the heat sink on YouTube for whatever your specific model is (sorry, if you said. I must have missed it if so)

I changed the thermal paste and it feels faster even at high cpu loads but the temps don't seem to have dropped down that much.

The fan speed did drop down a bit though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gmq posted:

I changed the thermal paste and it feels faster even at high cpu loads but the temps don't seem to have dropped down that much.

The fan speed did drop down a bit though.

Your CPU is sill running a bit warm under load (also 90% utilization seems high, but I have no idea what you're doing), but that's a major drop in temp for your CPU at that utilization.

This should probably move over to the Mac Hardware thread, as well.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Instead of worrying about temps try and figure out what's dominating your CPU. Open a terminal, type "top" without the quotes and take a screenshot and post that.

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib
I'm trying to sell a few WD external hard drives on eBay.

Is there any application (not drive maker specific) that will give me some indication of drive usage and health beyond the very minimal information provided by disk utility?

I would like to provide that information in the auction.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GutBomb posted:

Instead of worrying about temps try and figure out what's dominating your CPU. Open a terminal, type "top" without the quotes and take a screenshot and post that.

gmq posted:

Right now it's normal but sometimes kernel_task is going crazy but usually Chrome, electron apps or ruby/node are +100% depending on what I'm working on. I'd blame the software but they usually work fine until they just don't, even after restarting the processes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

Cool, thanks; glad to know it's not just me.

Feels like chances are good someone at Apple will have noticed it too by this point..

Update on this—my bug report got flagged as a duplicate, so I'd wager a fix is coming.

(The bug that mine is a duplicate of has a higher ID number than mine, which has happened with like every single bug report I've ever put in :iiam: )

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Yeah I got that but that's not the whole story. That's one or two processes. The whole list is more useful. Also if he was using activity monitor and not top there's a chance it only showed processes for his user which is the default behavior so the problem process may have been hidden.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 5, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If you care, the Outlook iOS app does route all your mail thru Microsoft.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Data Graham posted:

Update on this—my bug report got flagged as a duplicate, so I'd wager a fix is coming.

(The bug that mine is a duplicate of has a higher ID number than mine, which has happened with like every single bug report I've ever put in :iiam: )

awesome. if you file a bug report and it gets closed out as duplicate, do you get any kind of updates if they post a fix? or will it just get rolled into an upcoming update and noted in the release notes?

either way, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled...this is a pain in the rear end.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GutBomb posted:

If it's throttling that won't be very helpful.

Install Intel Power Gadget to check. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Then clean out your fan(s).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

~Coxy posted:

If it's throttling that won't be very helpful.

Install Intel Power Gadget to check. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Then clean out your fan(s).

If a runaway process is taking CPU time that legit processes need it certainly is helpful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

qutius posted:

awesome. if you file a bug report and it gets closed out as duplicate, do you get any kind of updates if they post a fix? or will it just get rolled into an upcoming update and noted in the release notes?

either way, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled...this is a pain in the rear end.

It's usually the latter, with the exception of the "noted in the release notes" part.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Zoodpipe posted:

I'm trying to sell a few WD external hard drives on eBay.

Is there any application (not drive maker specific) that will give me some indication of drive usage and health beyond the very minimal information provided by disk utility?

I would like to provide that information in the auction.

Hardware question technically, but google SMART Utility Mac and you can download the demo which can provide hours used and SMART condition, and list amount of bad sectors if any, hope the WD enclosure passes SMART data though, not all enclosures do..

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GutBomb posted:

If a runaway process is taking CPU time that legit processes need it certainly is helpful.

It's already been discussed that it is no one process running away with things. So a single screenshot is not going to allow you or anyone else to help them.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

carry on then posted:

It's already been discussed that it is no one process running away with things. So a single screenshot is not going to allow you or anyone else to help them.

Yeah, top simply showed whatever I was running. The thing was that it was really really easy to hit 100% and 100% wasn't as powerful at it should have been.
I haven't changed anything about my workflow today (besides changing the thermal paste) and it's working a lot better. It's almost like having a new computer. :dance:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GutBomb posted:

The things is that if thermal throttling is limiting the CPU to 5% of its normal speed (or whatever the actual number is), any process could hit 100%.

It’s not a software problem. There simply aren’t enough CPU cycles to do the work that needs to be done.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Where do trashed files "live"? Like, say I trash a 1gb file in a dropbox synced folder. Does the space reserved for the file still get synced to dropbox or does it exist in a separate trashed folder on my system volume? What about a 600gb file on an external harddrive when my system volume is only 256gb?