Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

You are constantly wrong about history.

I haven't made any claims about history. Just how drunk are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

I haven't made any claims about history. Just how drunk are you?

You have stood by bad claims.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

CountFosco posted:

It's not wrong to talk about some brands of Christianity, but it is wrong to conflate certain brands of Christianity with the whole. Fundamentalist Christians are, globally, in the minority. They just seem like the biggest because they're relatively popular in america and they get a looooot of press. Squeaky wheel and all that. Roman Catholics are the single biggest denomination at 1.272 billion, and the Eastern Orthodox represent the second biggest unified denomination at approximately 270 million. Protestants are larger than that at 800 million, but within Protestantism the beliefs, doctrines, and ideas are so diverse that it's really difficult to know how many of those protestants are literalist fundamentalists. According to wiki, methodism represents at least 50 million protestants, and methodists are among the most progressive Christians out there.

I agree but when someone equates all religion to an understanding of the supernatural which then somehow leads to good things they don't get to complain when certain beliefs are brought up. The original claim was about specific events Christianity and Islam may have had an impact on but it was then taken to an absurd generalized point where religion in itself, regardless of the specific god(s), scripture, teachings etc., is assumed to be a force of good merely because it existed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

You have stood by bad claims.

Pot, meet Kettle.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

When have I been wrong about history except when I was being deliberately sarcastic because a bunch of you saying religion had done nothing but cause death while then praising the "secular" mongols.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

When have I been wrong about history except when I was being deliberately sarcastic because a bunch of you saying religion had done nothing but cause death while then praising the "secular" mongols.

Keep tilting at that windmill and arguing in bad faith after it's been pointed out that none of the groups you keep referencing were secular.

Also, continuing to apply the No True Scotsman fallacy to the American Religious Right isn't doing you any favors. There is a reason these horrible religious beliefs keep influencing public policy and it isn't because they are a minority.

It's like that nonsense about police brutality being a highly-publicized minority of "bad apples" even though the actual statistics on the matter are downright terrifying if you actually get a look at them.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Keep tilting at that windmill and arguing in bad faith after it's been pointed out that none of the groups you keep referencing were secular.

Also, continuing to apply the No True Scotsman fallacy to the American Religious Right isn't doing you any favors. There is a reason these horrible religious beliefs keep influencing public policy and it isn't because they are a minority.

It's like that nonsense about police brutality being a highly-publicized minority of "bad apples" even though the actual statistics on the matter are downright terrifying if you actually get a look at them.

I never did use the no true sctosmen fallacy on the religious right. In fact I am rather ashamed at their service to Capital. I mean I guess you can claim I am using NTS on Calvis. But thats because I see them as much Christian as I see Muslims as Christian. Also :lol: now Chrisitans are like the Ferguson police.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crowsbeak posted:

I never did use the no true sctosmen fallacy on the religious right. In fact I am rather ashamed at their service to Capital. I mean I guess you can claim I am using NTS on Calvis. But thats because I see them as much Christian as I see Muslims as Christian. Also :lol: now Chrisitans are like the Ferguson police.

You would probably be surprised at the overlap if you asked the Ferguson police about their religious beliefs.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Crowsbeak posted:

Do you know how ridiculous it is to split those hairs? Catholics and Calvinists and Lutherans and Methodists are all Christians, it's a massive NTS to claim otherwise.

If a theoretical physicist subscribed to string theory, it would be idiotic for him to call a quantum gravity physicist, "not a scientist." Same thing.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

Do you know how ridiculous it is to split those hairs? Catholics and Calvinists and Lutherans and Methodists are all Christians, it's a massive NTS to claim otherwise.

If a theoretical physicist subscribed to string theory, it would be idiotic for him to call a quantum gravity physicist, "not a scientist." Same thing.

Well it isn't when alot of people here ascribe Calvinist beliefs to all christians.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

Er, thre is a pretty massive difference between the various Christian denominations, about the only thing they have in common is that they think that Jesus was a pretty cool guy, and they believe that God exists.

Like you might as well say that Kant and Calvin are the same because both their concepts of ethics are deontological.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 4, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Well it isn't when alot of people here ascribe Calvinist beliefs to all christians.

As a category Christianity contains denominations that range from neo-platonists who know things with science to basically having no epistemology or real philosophy whatsoever. But they do love to pretend that we are all Calvinists for some reason. ..

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like for its entire history, Christianity has been a focal point for centuries upon centuries of philosophical thought, even before the Reformation led some of those groups to splinter off and form their own churches.

Saying it's all the same is just... mind blowingly absurd.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OwlFancier posted:

Like for its entire history, Christianity has been a focal point for centuries upon centuries of philosophical thought, even before the Reformation led some of those groups to splinter off and form their own churches.

Saying it's all the same is just... mind blowingly absurd.

Well, this thread is specifically about the American Religious Right (which is a specific subset of Christians that do in fact subscribe to the beliefs being criticized in this thread).

If you don't subscribe to the beliefs of the sect being criticized in this thread, why are you arguing about it?

EDIT: And as far as American Christianity is concerned, yes, it really is all the same in any meaningful sense. Wasn't it Jesus that said you'd know a tree by the fruit it bears? When the gently caress does that start applying to Christianity?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 4, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This thread is about the American religious right in that the OP explicitly mentions his concern that other denominations are drowned out by the sects with the louder and more abrasive voice, yes.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Well, this thread is specifically about the American Religious Right (which is a specific subset of Christians that do in fact subscribe to the beliefs being criticized in this thread).

If you don't subscribe to the beliefs of the sect being criticized in this thread, why are you arguing about it?

WHen you explicetley make it not about that sect. Or when people start making up history. Like saying Turkey was never secular. :lol:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Adding in a post because the edit took too long to go through:

quote:

And as far as American Christianity is concerned, yes, it really is all the same in any meaningful sense. Wasn't it Jesus that said you'd know a tree by the fruit it bears? When the gently caress does that start applying to Christianity?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EDIT: And as far as American Christianity is concerned, yes, it really is all the same in any meaningful sense. Wasn't it Jesus that said you'd know a tree by the fruit it bears? When the gently caress does that start applying to Christianity?

Except the post in question literally said it applies to all Christian denominations, that is flat out stupid.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OwlFancier posted:

Except the post in question literally said it applies to all Christian denominations, that is flat out stupid.

Which part, specifically, is not applicable to all Christian denominations?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which part of what, specifically?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Whatever post you're talking about being incorrect without quoting it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did quote it, two posts above the one you apparently read.

Infinite Karma posted:

Saying that all Christian denominations are the same is stupid, and it is entirely reasonable for Christians of one to have serious doubts about whether the others are sufficiently akin to their concept of what Christianity is, to merit the label. This is even doctrinal in some of them as many denominations claim true succession from the early church over others.

Christianity has a long and storied history of slapfighting, with varying results from heresies being hunted down to theological and philosophical fights, to schisms and the formation of new churches which generally don't get along well with the old ones, to the point that the only real unifying thing is, as I said, that they all think Jesus was important, and they all think that God exists. And those two things do not a theology make.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 4, 2017

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

OwlFancier posted:

Saying that all Christian denominations are the same is stupid

That's fair, saying they're all the same is stupid. But they are all still Christian, and they have very similar beliefs in a vacuum, details notwithstanding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For an extremely broad and arguably, I think, non Christian definition of Christian.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay, but the post you quoted did not say all christian sects were the same. It said they are all within the broad classification of being christian.

You either aren't paying attention or you are doubling down on the NTS with a side of straw man.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

OwlFancier posted:

Saying that all Christian denominations are the same is stupid, and it is entirely reasonable for Christians of one to have serious doubts about whether the others are sufficiently akin to their concept of what Christianity is, to merit the label. This is even doctrinal in some of them as many denominations claim true succession from the early church over others.

Christianity has a long and storied history of slapfighting, with varying results from heresies being hunted down to theological and philosophical fights, to schisms and the formation of new churches which generally don't get along well with the old ones, to the point that the only real unifying thing is, as I said, that they all think Jesus was important, and they all think that God exists. And those two things do not a theology make.

Who gives a poo poo? It's not some vague philosophical distinction that matters, it's what people actually do. The US gives us a fairly reasonable metric for "evil" and that's "votes Republican".

Christians do that at an alarmingly high rate and if you bracket out racial minorities (racial minorities tend not to vote Republican irrespective of religious belief) then it becomes sky loving high. Evangelical Protestants are the worst, followed by Mainline Protestants, followed by Catholics. But all are well to the right of where they should be. Charitably, this suggests that Christianity is useless as a moral education. Less charitably, it suggests that Christianity is actively bad and deforming people's moral self-cultivation.

I'm not sure how going into depth on things like filoque or sola fide would really influence that discussion.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like defending the left wing cred of christianity on the basic of the catholic church of all things is beyond farcical to just about anyone who actually lives in catholic majority countries.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Didn't you hear? The new Pope is totes left wing. Sure, he fingered leftist priests for execution during the Dirty War. And he's pretty OK about child molestation. But he's mildly critical of the capitalist kleptocracy!

They are trying to meet us in the middle here people. We should just accept that "kills leftists and mildly criticizes rightists" is as far left as we're gonna get.

Wrap it up atheiailures.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrandorKP posted:

As a category Christianity contains denominations that range from neo-platonists who know things with science to basically having no epistemology or real philosophy whatsoever. But they do love to pretend that we are all Calvinists for some reason. ..
Tbh Plato is part of the problem here. He had things to say about democracy, that makes him valuable to people who argue against progressive causes, because it excuses oppression as There Is No Alternative.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Shut up Shbobdb

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Fine.

St. Augustine argued that laws existed for the damned since saved people would act in the correct manner without laws. Modern Christians are clearly in need of laws and damned, therefore we must destroy Christianity since it creates an alternative authority to the law whereby the damned are allowed free reign.

Is that a sufficiently historical argument presented in the language of Christianity?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wasn't it Jesus that said you'd know a tree by the fruit it bears? When the gently caress does that start applying to Christianity?

Not in this thread, but that fig tree thing none of you seem to get... bookends the money changers in the temple, of course the tree metaphors apply to Christianity and corrupt religion.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

Tbh Plato is part of the problem here. He had things to say about democracy, that makes him valuable to people who argue against progressive causes, because it excuses oppression as There Is No Alternative.

I think we have a larger problem with the metaphors of King of Kings and monarchy of Christ...

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Shbobdb posted:

Who gives a poo poo? It's not some vague philosophical distinction that matters, it's what people actually do. The US gives us a fairly reasonable metric for "evil" and that's "votes Republican".

Christians do that at an alarmingly high rate and if you bracket out racial minorities (racial minorities tend not to vote Republican irrespective of religious belief) then it becomes sky loving high. Evangelical Protestants are the worst, followed by Mainline Protestants, followed by Catholics. But all are well to the right of where they should be. Charitably, this suggests that Christianity is useless as a moral education. Less charitably, it suggests that Christianity is actively bad and deforming people's moral self-cultivation.

I'm not sure how going into depth on things like filoque or sola fide would really influence that discussion.

To further your point, here's Gallup polls.

Gallup posted:

Bottom Line

The relationship between Americans' religiousness and their party preference is a persistent and well-documented social pattern that has remained extraordinarily stable over the last six and a half years. The basic nature of the relationship -- in which those who are the most religious are the most likely to identify as Republicans -- has changed little. With few exceptions, Americans' religiousness remains a major predictor of their political orientation.

This same pattern appears to apply globally where increased religiosity is connected with increased conservatism, regardless of the religion that is most common or how rich the country is.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

you're massively retarded. there is a wide range of Christian expression in the US. The Sanctuary Movement was supported by many on the religious right

furthermore, criticizing Jesus for what others do in His name is about as coherent as every single post you've made in this thread

hog fat fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 5, 2017

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Shbobdb posted:

another incredibly lovely post. I'm gonna argue at a level you have the capacity to understand: go volunteer literally anywhere, talk to your fellow volunteers then make a note of how many of them espouse Christian faith.

it's also well-documented that religious people on average donate far more money than non-religious people. go ahead and find that Atlantic article by Emma Green from a week back for proof, you lazy blockhead.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
Jesus Christ. Literally all of your arguments against Christianity proceed as follows:

"So and so said this. Where is your God now, idiot?"

Here's one: Tolstoy said literally nothing other than the Gospel matters. The Gospel can be summarized as such: do good to/love your fellow man, suspend judgement and abstain from indulgence. Almost every Christian I have ever met follows in this tradition whether they've read Tolstoy or not.

"Well, I don't know any Christians personally, so I will generalize based on the vocal minority my philistine friends quote on Facebook. I've seen Jesus Camp. On the off-chance I do know something about Christianity that isn't hearsay, I pretend that I am not just reacting to my own religious upbringing and embellish details about how much my dad, who refuses to talk to me because I'm a pig-man, hates gays."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hog fat posted:

Jesus Christ. Literally all of your arguments against Christianity proceed as follows:

Here's one: Tolstoy said literally nothing other than the Gospel matters. The Gospel can be summarized as such: do good to/love your fellow man, suspend judgement and abstain from indulgence. Almost every Christian I have ever met follows in this tradition whether they've read Tolstoy or not.

If you don't summarize the Gospel though (at least as it is understood in my country, John, Luke, Mark, Matthew), there is a lot of weird poo poo in it. Also literally no Christian I have ever met has suspended judgement or abstained from the particular indulgence they prefer. Myself included when I was one.

Again I don't think you need to suspend judgement or abstain from indulgence to be a good leftist so it doesn't matter to the point of the thread. There are Christians who have done far more for the left then anyone in this thread will ever do.

EDIT: Googled Gospel, it means the Good News in English too apparently (in my language it is just "the Good News"), you probably meant that sorry

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 5, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hog fat posted:

"Well, I don't know any Christians personally, so I will generalize based on the vocal minority my philistine friends quote on Facebook. I've seen Jesus Camp. On the off-chance I do know something about Christianity that isn't hearsay, I pretend that I am not just reacting to my own religious upbringing and embellish details about how much my dad, who refuses to talk to me because I'm a pig-man, hates gays."

It's more like "God said and did these extremely evil and destructive things. Those who worship such a god tend to be utterly fascistic, because God's message is unquestioning obedience. This can be borne out in how religious authorities tend to be reactionary."

Now you're going to handwave everything objectionable from God as 'metaphor'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

Panzeh posted:

It's more like "God said and did these extremely evil and destructive things. Those who worship such a god tend to be utterly fascistic, because God's message is unquestioning obedience. This can be borne out in how religious authorities tend to be reactionary."

Now you're going to handwave everything objectionable from God as 'metaphor'.

No I'm not, human being with a derivative Hitler avatar; I already said that the entire OT can be discarded. Christ himself did as much. But you wouldn't know that because you haven't read that which you have the gall to criticize.

Also laughing aloud if you think that the religious corner the market on fascism. One needn't look further than leftist identity/progressive politics for proof to the contrary.

hog fat fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 5, 2017

• Locked thread