Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Follow my logic on this dad/grandad thing. Most of us here are in the age range to have kids, and some already have teenagers.

When my dad had me, he was 22. If I would have followed suit, I'd have had a kid around 2004-5 (yay deployment saving me from that fate). My musical taste falls around my age 13-25 music, so mid-90s to late 00s. If I had a kid and was a dad, dad music to that kid would be the poo poo I listen to, not the poo poo his grandfather listens to (which includes disco, horrible, terrible disco).

I get that we can't seem to have good music of our own in terms of generational bullshit, but that's our own drat fault, and we shouldn't have to rely on the music of the olds to carry us through. We just need a real good long dirty war to shake the good music from the bones of the millenials, but it would still suck because blaaaaaaah.

For what it's worth, my grandfather only ever listened to the farm report and npr. I never found anything musically related that man owned or liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Follow my logic on this dad/grandad thing. Most of us here are in the age range to have kids, and some already have teenagers.

When my dad had me, he was 22. If I would have followed suit, I'd have had a kid around 2004-5 (yay deployment saving me from that fate). My musical taste falls around my age 13-25 music, so mid-90s to late 00s. If I had a kid and was a dad, dad music to that kid would be the poo poo I listen to, not the poo poo his grandfather listens to (which includes disco, horrible, terrible disco).

I get that we can't seem to have good music of our own in terms of generational bullshit, but that's our own drat fault, and we shouldn't have to rely on the music of the olds to carry us through. We just need a real good long dirty war to shake the good music from the bones of the millenials, but it would still suck because blaaaaaaah.

For what it's worth, my grandfather only ever listened to the farm report and npr. I never found anything musically related that man owned or liked.

16 years of war didn't shake any musical greatness out of the Millenial generation, so I don't think war's the answer there.

Katy Perry notwithstanding, she's got great tatas.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Disco actually owns, what the gently caress is wrong with you

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
rock people were so excited to move from pure sex and drugs disco and on to.......loving Poison lmao get out of here with that poo poo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It might not be, but it's a catalyst in the process for many.

I just want the cleansing fire, alright? Then I won't have to care about music in any way, because we'll all be dead.

And in the end, isn't silence the only real thing a dad would want a lot of the time?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also IDK I always am open minded and try listening to new music and have discovered lots of cool stuff from all sorts of time periods and genres. If I only listend to stuff from my 13-25 range, well I think Coolio would be boring as gently caress by now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

rock people were so excited to move from pure sex and drugs disco and on to.......loving Poison lmao get out of here with that poo poo

80s didn't have a big long war with lots of casualties either. Neither did the 90s. And if they loved disco so greatly, why would they let it die so abruptly? Sure, diamonds in the disco rough and whanot (I was raised on beegees, how deep is your love, motherfucka?), but overall, garbage.

And no one was excited for poison until cocaine became the reason to go to a poison show.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

also IDK I always am open minded and try listening to new music and have discovered lots of cool stuff from all sorts of time periods and genres. If I only listend to stuff from my 13-25 range, well I think Coolio would be boring as gently caress by now.

I feel like you'd get a kick out of this site http://musicmap.info

I had to use it for a class I took over the summer and it's actually kind of neat.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
It only really died in the US :shobon:

and yeah there is a lot of lovely disco, lol, there's a lot of lovely everything. New Wave is where it was at tho

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Pesticide20 posted:

I feel like you'd get a kick out of this site http://musicmap.info

I had to use it for a class I took over the summer and it's actually kind of neat.

I was trying to figure out what was so special then I used my scroll wheel

edit: haha that's actually kinda neat how it actually lines up basically all my fave genres as being directly related, from new wave to new romantics and stuff. Nifty

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 5, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Disco actually owns, what the gently caress is wrong with you

Disco was for people too white or gay to appreciate funk.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Stultus Maximus posted:

Disco was for people too white or gay to appreciate funk.

harsh, but fair

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Alright, my MLB.tv account is up.

I don't watch baseball. So 5 of you lucky winners get access; cool cute GIPers only.

I'm waiting on a friend to get back to me so it may be 4 spots, but sign up. If you do sign up, please read through this thread. Don't be a douche, don't ruin it for everyone else. Read about the VPNs and such in there. There's more information around on the internet.

Again, please don't gently caress it up for everyone. You guys can communicate amongst yourselves. I'm going out of my way to save y'all some cash here. I don't want to deal with the notices and such.

In. Did you get it for free via Tmobile or whatever, or are we splitting the cost?

Edit: NICE!

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 5, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Godholio posted:

In. Did you get it for free via Tmobile or whatever, or are we splitting the cost?

Free via tmobile

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

I was trying to figure out what was so special then I used my scroll wheel

edit: haha that's actually kinda neat how it actually lines up basically all my fave genres as being directly related, from new wave to new romantics and stuff. Nifty

its pretty cool that they have youtube playlists in the genre definitions

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm not gonna argue but man I could listen to the solo from tunnel of love for hours

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Two Finger posted:

I'm not gonna argue but man I could listen to the solo from tunnel of love for hours

So could I. I just like R&J that much more.

We all can agree that Dire Straits is criminally underrated though.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Rogue One is out on DVD. :getin:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Genocide Tendency posted:

So could I. I just like R&J that much more.

We all can agree that Dire Straits is criminally underrated though.

If you like the solo stuff Mark Knopfler put out, then it's totally worth trying to find some Richard Thompson albums. Mark pretty much ripped off his style.

For the record, I love knopfler and the Straits, man is a genius.

Fake Edit: I'm mobile so I'm not gonna figure out how to embed this, but here is the Richard Thompson tiny desk concert

https://youtu.be/1tcNmAuVU5A

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
want to hear walk life rn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=087Bv3p4KLQ

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That song owns bones big time

bengy81
May 8, 2010
George was the best Beatle right?

Right?

I'm glad we could agree on that.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
George>Lennon>McCartney/Starr

Starr has some great songs but they're mostly with Lennon and Harrison

IDK they're all pretty good tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvEexTomE1I

Good Ringo poo poo w/ Harrison

Goodnight Vienna is a pretty fun album too

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I would like to go on record saying AC/DC is the worst band ever.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

loving agreed, poo poo sounds like donald duck singing

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
some good 80s Harrison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGYYDvZnpg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Yup they are enormously overrated

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I think Harrison or Ringo would be the best ones to hang out with too, like Lennon you know would be a weird pretentious dick and McCartney you'd just keep staring at his turkey throat

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the best thing about AC/DC was the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack and actually it'd be fine without it.

It's kind of like the inverse of my favorite thing about Highlander is all the queen

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MjCqQoLLA

wish i could be one of the cool people in this video, namely the old dude with flowers on his sunglasses at 6.24

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

Rogue One is out on DVD. :getin:

too bad rogue one sucks poo poo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh poo poo also the best 5th beatle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuaG-TCpbtw

shameful that he isn't the first result on youtube and its some basketball dude

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I dislike happy endings so it was nice that everyone died in it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I disagree, but a lot better than The Force Awakens anyways

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to defend ACDC's song, it's holding up pretty well considering they've recorded it under different titles 9000 times.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Jaguars! posted:

I'd like to defend ACDC's song, it's holding up pretty well considering they've recorded it under different titles 9000 times.

lmao

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm just letting it autoplay here is some apparently granddad rock now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sB3Fjw3Uvc

edit: lmao my dad wouldn't have been 10 yet but I'm having a hard time imagining my grandpa listening to this kind of poo poo. Dude was die hard KKK and poo poo tho. My Grandparents were too old or whatever to get into this poo poo, parents a bit too young but I think in spirit they did. My Grandma bitched because my dad & brothers loved songs like Horse with no name back in the day. Eventually she pulled out the records they used to listen to and it was all the countdown singers versions :barf:

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 5, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Go back to Australia cobber

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

https://youtu.be/tIdIqbv7SPo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
protip when you copy a youtube link use ctrl-v instead of right click paste and it formats its correctly

edit if youre on a phone then idk

• Locked thread