Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Yup mega agreedo. Here's my full list

What kinda pleb rig is that? 32gb or gtfo. Also, m.2 supremacy. And with the ti out, surely regular 1080 is worth a little extra coin??!?

(Looks solid man. Nice)

Darchangel, that's just rough man. Glad you see the opening to do something to improve yourself instead of just raging. gently caress those dickwads.

Edit: poo poo, new page. loving life never seems to get less busy. I already never have time, but let's add the third kid because why not? :v:

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus loving Christ I've already lost 9lbs.

Tonight I stopped and bought so much goddamned fruit and super healthy wraps to replace bread in my diet.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I have overdraft protection and "privilege pay" on my checking account.

At least, I thought I did. I remember opting in, I have the paperwork in front of me saying they'll cover up to $800. I asked them to opt out debit card purchases, they confirmed they opted out debit card purchases.

Today my rent check bounced (by :10bux:) thanks to me forgetting about a bill on autopay :argh: - more frustrating was getting a text stating my paycheck had been deposited less than 30 minutes after I got the text about the bounced check.

Called them up.. they said I had opted out of privilege pay entirely. Pulled up the email trail (thank gently caress I did this online), read it to them, they said they'd have to forward this to a manager, and they'd call back by 6pm (... never happened).

Went to the branch I opened my account at. They showed me a copy of the paperwork I have, but said there's no way to opt out of having it not cover debit card transactions (at which point I picked up the paper, held it so we could both see it, and read the part of it out loud about being able to opt out of debit card coverage). She insisted I was misreading it and that there's no way to opt out of that. Reminded her of "Regulation E", she said it doesn't apply to credit unions (it does, and the paperwork she handed me even cites regulation E). Wouldn't even refund the NSF fee (after initially agreeing to).

So.. got a money order, got my rent paid, but now I'm out $250 between late fees and returned check fees (between my credit union and the apartment complex) - so far.

Thus ends my love affair with local credit unions. Opened an account with BBVA Compass from the parking lot of the CU (bonus: I don't have to go to the next county anytime I need to deposit cash now!). Going to let 2 more pay cycles go into this account, then switch my direct deposit over (it takes 2 full pay cycles to switch with Amazon... but we get paid twice a week, so basically I won't get paid one week).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Cleaning is a massive time sink but so worth it. I've been slowly listing all of my old tech stuff on eBay and I can't believe it's actually selling. Anyone want a Lenovo W520, HP Elitebook 8460W, or Lenovo X220 before I list them? My uber cheap $50 6-teir shelving units got here today. So far they don't look like they will turn completely potato-chiped with weight as long as I watch it. Once the computer junk is gone, it's on to car parts. Then maybe we'll start on the house... ugh.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 5, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

Cleaning is a massive time sink but so worth it. I've been slowly listing all of my old tech stuff on eBay and I can't believe it's actually selling. Anyone want a Lenovo W520, HP Elitebook, or Lenovo X220 before I list them? My uber cheap $50 6-teir shelving units got here today. So far they don't look like they will turn completely potato-chiped with weight as long as I watch it. Once the computer junk is gone, it's on to car parts. Then maybe we'll start on the house... ugh.

I feel your pain man. We're slogging through my mother's house right now. She's a major packrat and hates to part with anything but we've convinced her it's time to start parring down. We're hoping we can get the entire house worked over by the end of summer. There's just SO MUCH poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i cleaned out my office and sold a bunch of poo poo and made a grand, 10/10 would do again

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

Jesus loving Christ I've already lost 9lbs.

Tonight I stopped and bought so much goddamned fruit and super healthy wraps to replace bread in my diet.

My dinner tonight was chicken wings and a giant milkshake. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Went for a run, made chicken satay with peanut sauce and therefore today was a Good Day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mariooncrack posted:

Apple II is best Apple

:smug:

I agree, apple haven't made a good product in 40 years. An excellent post.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I made a bunch of chicken wraps so I have quick meals ready for the next couple of days. I have a new found love of red onions and loaded the wraps up with them.

This healthy poo poo ain't so bad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So you gonna share your chicken wrap secrets? :colbert:

So long as mayo isn't involved, I'm interested.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

I agree, apple haven't made a good product in 40 years. An excellent post.

You son of a bitch

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So you gonna share your chicken wrap secrets? :colbert:

So long as mayo isn't involved, I'm interested.

Wheat wrap, lettuce, tomato, chicken (had to use lunch meat because reasons), cheese, onions, potatoes and some caesar dressing.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That's pretty much my routine. Make enough of whatever to last the week, usually things like stir fry/chili/stew/pasta sauce all loaded with vegetables and light on the meat. I dump way too much onion, garlic and spice into everything too, not like I'm gonna be kissing anyone anyway.

...and then on my days off I eat fried fish, steak and beer :yum:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I made a batch of chili and portioned it out so I have like 16 meals there. I got some shredded mini wheats and bagged those up for breakfast. Been eating a LOT of salads. I'm on day 26 of this health kick and like I said, down 9 pounds and I lost it faster than I expected. Decided to cut bread and carbs and see what happens.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

the spyder posted:

Cleaning is a massive time sink but so worth it. I've been slowly listing all of my old tech stuff on eBay and I can't believe it's actually selling. Anyone want a Lenovo W520, HP Elitebook 8460W, or Lenovo X220 before I list them? My uber cheap $50 6-teir shelving units got here today. So far they don't look like they will turn completely potato-chiped with weight as long as I watch it. Once the computer junk is gone, it's on to car parts. Then maybe we'll start on the house... ugh.

I should have done this annually for the last 10 years. I've pissed away so much money in letting old graphics cards and mobos and CPUs and CPU coolers and RAM molder on a shelves. And it's not even a "Maybe I'll put that in a second rig or a HTPC someday" it's straight up "I'm loving lazy."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rhyno posted:

I made a bunch of chicken wraps so I have quick meals ready for the next couple of days. I have a new found love of red onions and loaded the wraps up with them.

This healthy poo poo ain't so bad.

Boneless/skinless chicken thighs + Birds Eye protein blends. My spouse is a serious chef but she travels for work about half the time so when she's gone this is my go to for cheap/easy/quick/healthy.

This is the marinade I use and it is amazing.

http://www.food.com/recipe/amazing-chicken-marinade-29598

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Wheat wrap, lettuce, tomato, chicken (had to use lunch meat because reasons), cheese, onions, potatoes and some caesar dressing.

You had me until the potatoes. Those belong with steak or breakfast. :colbert:

I'd probably do light italian dressing instead of caesar personally, but that does sound pretty good. I have a chicken breast in the freezer, I'll throw it in the fridge to thaw before I go to bed, then cook it tomorrow night. Or maybe just go lazy mode and get a whole roasted chicken from Kroger. e: or maybe just grab a whole chicken from here, they're tasty. A bit more expensive, but taaaaaaasty. Just gotta brush up on my Spanglish a bit.

I have a batch of pinto beans in the fridge, along with half an avocado... I guess I could do a couple of chipotle style burritos too. Just need to find a decent salsa. As much as I hate on chipotle, their hot sauce is just right (in terms of flavor anyway.. not enough fire) for a burrito or bowl.

:swoon:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 5, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

beep-beep car is go posted:

Y'all haven't lived until you've had a Macoun during it's peak season, freshly picked from a tree. Or a Northern Spy, cut up with a little salt with your morning oatmeal. Don't bother with Empire apples, they get mealy hours after being picked. Any hybrid of a "red delicious" (a lie if there ever was one) is not worth your time. Arkansas Blacks are neat from a historical perspective, but they're more of a pie and/or storage apple. Some people swear by Baldwins, but I don't like them. Early in the season you can't go wrong with a good Cortland. If you can find them on the tree, Crispin/Mutsu's are fine, but I wouldn't bother if you see them in the store. If you like the Honeycrisp (honestly they have a bit of a kerosene undertaste that I don't like) try a Jonagold.

gently caress, I love apples.

Braeburns are my personal jam. Good sweet/tart balance, nice crisp bite, hold up well when cooked, and the keep forever in a cool cellar.

Rhyno posted:

I do something similar. Marinate some chicken breasts or thighs in buttermilk overnight, drain and dry the excess off (optinal). Hit 'em with garlic salt, celery seed, and cracked pepper and dredge in Frank's Gold, then grill or bake.

Wheat wrap, lettuce, onion, diced chicken, little crumbled bleu cheese or light bleu cheese dressing, little shot of Frank's. Makes a good wrap and scratches my hot wing itch without a million calories of breading.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 5, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darchangel posted:

The hell of it is that while I've been *at* the place I was for 17 years, I've actually worked directly *for* a different company since 2010. First Wipro, then for the last 7 months my current company, because outsourcing. My old company, the host company, basically just threw away my experience with them for piss-ant reasons. It will save them exactly nothing, since the contracted price for my company's services remains the same. Oh, they might get a short term slight savings if my replacement screws up and causes penalties from not meeting SLA targets while attempting to get up to speed, but ultimately all they get is less experience.

Thanks. Ultimately, I did it to myself, or at least gave them the opening. That's something I need to improve in myself. Hopefully, I can do that.

Bollocks.

No good company fires someone with 17 years experience because they were once overheard saying a bad word.

This clearly isn't on you.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

spog posted:

Bollocks.

No good company fires someone with 17 years experience because they were once overheard saying a bad word.

This clearly isn't on you.

2nd unless you work in some sort of special snowflake type place.
It seems crazy that anyone would even be bugged by language (though I work in an engineering office so language does tend to be foul) but the proper thing to do would have had your manager pull you to one side and tell you to cool it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, as much as it's a problem in the immediate future, perhaps long term you're better elsewhere. Those "reasons" aren't even worthy of comment in a work environment, Jesus.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Unless he's not telling us about sleeping with the bosses wife or straight up knocking a bitch out :haw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Now that was just an accident, and it only happened twice.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I got myself a proper waffle iron for Belgian waffles (proper Liège waffles, not the fakes you Americans eat) and made my first batch yesterday, based on this recipe which is 1) in French, 2) literally called "the best recipe", and 3) is rated 5/5 stars with 154 ratings.

And holy poo poo they're the best waffles I have ever had in my life. Everything else completely pales in comparison. I'm not loving around here. They are so. loving. Good. They're better than pancakes. Better. Than. Pancakes.

If you have a proper waffle iron (heavy = good), you owe it to yourself to try this recipe. Plus they freeze well, and you can reheat them in a toaster.

Oh yeah, and I cooked hashbrowns in the iron as well, that worked great. I'm waffling mashed potatoes tonight.

Waffles, man. loving waffles :swoon:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Link to proper waffle iron pls.

I had them in Belgium once. They're ridiculous. Two fingers thick. Yeast dough, if I'm not mistaken, with enough sugar so the outside caramelizes. An excellent way to spend 3000 calories.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Spackle and paint makes me the carpenter I ain't.

I've been working on walling up a loft in our house, changing it into another bedroom. Everything has been going according to plan. Until a couple days ago. There is one wall that runs parallel to the roof rafters, so the county wanted me to install blocking at 24"OC. No problem. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, since I blew in another foot of insulation in the attic, so each step means having to dig through almost 2 feet of insulation to get a foot solidly on a rafter. Anyway, after mis-measuring a couple times (requiring separate trips back and forth across the attic), I got the blocking in and toenailed into the rafters.

Only to get down and see that my 3 1/2" nails were about 1/2" too long and the toenail fasteners blew through the ceiling. The 18' ceiling. :cry:

I just got done cutting the tips of the nails off with a cordless oscillating tool (Fein Multimaster saved a LOT of hassle) and giving a generous coat of spackle. Quick sand and a topping of ceiling white paint later on today and nobody will ever be the wiser.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

KozmoNaut posted:

I got myself a proper waffle iron for Belgian waffles (proper Liège waffles, not the fakes you Americans eat) and made my first batch yesterday, based on this recipe which is 1) in French, 2) literally called "the best recipe", and 3) is rated 5/5 stars with 154 ratings.

And holy poo poo they're the best waffles I have ever had in my life. Everything else completely pales in comparison. I'm not loving around here. They are so. loving. Good. They're better than pancakes. Better. Than. Pancakes.

If you have a proper waffle iron (heavy = good), you owe it to yourself to try this recipe. Plus they freeze well, and you can reheat them in a toaster.

Oh yeah, and I cooked hashbrowns in the iron as well, that worked great. I'm waffling mashed potatoes tonight.

Waffles, man. loving waffles :swoon:

gently caress you now I want waffles. I loving love waffles.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Link to proper waffle iron pls.

I had them in Belgium once. They're ridiculous. Two fingers thick. Yeast dough, if I'm not mistaken, with enough sugar so the outside caramelizes. An excellent way to spend 3000 calories.

This one: https://www.skousen.dk/koekkenudstyr/vaffeljern/product/cloer-cl1445-belgisk-vaffeljern/

Nice and heavy plates with awesome heat retention. The temperature adjustment could be better, but it works.

E: It is indeed a yeast dough, and to get the proper sugary goodness, you can't use Danish pearl sugar. It's simply the wrong kind. You need Swedish or Belgian pearl sugar, which is bigger and opaque white, you've probably seen it on top of the cinnamon buns they sell at Ikea.

You need this: http://www.bagetid.dk/sukkerkugler/3452-perlesukker-ekstra-stor-200-gram-8718531934900.html

In a pinch, you can crack sugar cubes into the appropriate size.

The sugar should be intact and not melted into the dough, that's how you get the crispy caramelized parts. Best. Breakfast. Ever.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 5, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm attempting to eat somewhat healthy these days and this isn't helping.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

E: It is indeed a yeast dough, and to get the proper sugary goodness, you can't use Danish pearl sugar. It's simply the wrong kind. You need Swedish or Belgian pearl sugar, which is bigger and opaque white, you've probably seen it on top of the cinnamon buns they sell at Ikea.

Finally, a use for my new Swedish boss!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm attempting to eat somewhat healthy these days and this isn't helping.

Waffles are worth it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Waffles are worth it.

And a good waffle pairs extremely well with a great sour beer, like a Flanders Red.

Now I want waffles too! Thankfully my wife previously ordered Belgian Pearl sugar from Amazon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just got a Ninja blender recently and it's awesome for smoothies. We have lots of Florida strawberries and peaches in the freezer, so equal parts those with a banana and some ice and holy crap best smoothie ever.

I've never eaten this much fruit in my life since going gluten free, but so far so good I've been feeling great and no meds! :)

[e] I just can't seem to quit the coffee tho dam u caffeine :argh:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 5, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just bought my dieting food and packed my gym bag for tomorrow

I knew I was putting on more weight than I should've, but working that wedding was an eye opener. All of my really nice dress clothes were fitted for my old 28" waist, my dress shirt was choking me, and my belly hung over my belt, which was being stretched too far to begin with... It was a little embarrassing to even get dressed, let alone meet all of those strangers like that

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Today my rent check bounced (by :10bux:) thanks to me forgetting about a bill on autopay :argh:

God drat STR you are your own worst enemy. Have you ever considered using a check register? At some point you may have to come to the realization that maybe it's not the bank(s).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I sat in a Ford GT today. It's not possible to look cool while getting in and out of that car.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

scrubs season six posted:

I should have done this annually for the last 10 years. I've pissed away so much money in letting old graphics cards and mobos and CPUs and CPU coolers and RAM molder on a shelves. And it's not even a "Maybe I'll put that in a second rig or a HTPC someday" it's straight up "I'm loving lazy."

I cringe how much money I could have recouped instead of tossing something in a closet just "because some day...". I just pulled my old NAS out. I spent $1800 four years ago on it, used it for 2 and then upgraded to a bigger Synology. It's maybe worth $500 if I'm lucky vs the $1200 two years ago when I stopped using it... Ugh.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Midniter posted:

God drat STR you are your own worst enemy. Have you ever considered using a check register? At some point you may have to come to the realization that maybe it's not the bank(s).

The other way (which I realize is simply not possible for someone in STR's position) is to simply not drain your checking account to near zero monthly. I make sure that after all my bills are paid for the month, I'll have at least a thousand left in the account so that I never get near the overdraft issue.

The trick is to manage to get to that point when your finances are already on a paycheck to paycheck basis, and then not spend the money that you know is there.

the spyder posted:

I cringe how much money I could have recouped instead of tossing something in a closet just "because some day...". I just pulled my old NAS out. I spent $1800 four years ago on it, used it for 2 and then upgraded to a bigger Synology. It's maybe worth $500 if I'm lucky vs the $1200 two years ago when I stopped using it... Ugh.

Yea, I would probably hate to know how much money I would have made over my life if I'd always sold stuff as soon as I stopped using it, instead of letting it sit for years until ending up in the trash bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Locator posted:

The other way (which I realize is simply not possible for someone in STR's position) is to simply not drain your checking account to near zero monthly.
I pay for everything on credit cards, and pay those off monthly. This limits the individual withdrawals from my bank account, so I don't have surprise charges on my actual funds.

Obviously this only works if you have the restraint to use revolving credit.

• Locked thread