Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

QuarkJets posted:

This may be another instance of "consistent heat is better than max heat". Pad Phet is a staple in our household and doesn't really benefit from a smoking pool of oil; that's a sign of using too much of the wrong oil or too much heat

Likewise we will make a curry such as Vindaloo in the wok and it also doesn't require tons of oil or insane heat; the traditional style is to use very high heat but it simply isn't necessary.

Never heard of using a wok for things other than stir-fry, though of course you don't need to have the really high heat all the time, just for certain things.

At least for traditional carbon steel woks, slow / wet / acidic cooking is not advised, as it'll eat off the carbonised non-stick coating and make your food taste of burnt. Source: Roommates GF once cooked a bolognaise in my wok, removed all the carbon, and it tasted vile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pad Phet is a stir fry dish; you basically make red curry but don't add coconut milk. Vindaloo is definitely just a curry but it works really well because Indian cooking usually requires even temperature, which woks provide in spades, and it's not really acidic enough to matter.

My wok is cast iron. It's heavy as gently caress but it feels amazing to cook with it. The heat distribution is basically perfect, even with an electric range (which we have). It distributes heat so well that I'd have to really start burning the poo poo out of everything in order to get much smoke

A friend of mine has a stainless steel wok with a propane burner that he treats as an outdoor grill, that can be fun to use sometimes

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Might as well get them covered in one of the meshes/whatever the protects leaves from accumulating in there, unless you live in Vegas 100 ft from the nearest tree or something.

I've got a farm (zoned agricultural) property in northern Illinois, there are 2 trees on one side of the house, which we might be taking down, and other than that, the closest trees are over 150' away. The mesh couldn't hurt, and is cheap enough, but it almost certainly isn't necessary.

H110Hawk posted:

Make sure you know which direction your property drains if you ever get ground soaking downpours. You will want to make sure you're funneling water that direction. See if someone will pay for you to install rain barrels or if it's super illegal.

Good call! I didn't even think of that. Rain barrels are not just legal but encouraged in my area, and there's some tax incentive programs.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Make sure they're properly sized based on how fast your roof sheds water. Maybe do a single piece then run it with a hose test.

Also a good call. Probably best to over estimate in this case.

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Grillchat, cont'd. The Weber Genesis is the sweet spot if you grill a lot. I grill probably 4 days a week in Spring/Summer/Fall. The only thing I'd change is that I'd get the one with the sear station. This is mine after 3 years, probably 50% of the time covered.

Other than a bit more size and a 50% increase in price, what does the genesis offer over the spirit? The weber site doesn't really do a great job of letting me know the diff.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
I'm in a condo with no externally vented hood, and no way to poke a hole to install one. There is a window right by the stove, though. Has anyone ever vented through a window?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Large Hardon Collider posted:

I'm in a condo with no externally vented hood, and no way to poke a hole to install one. There is a window right by the stove, though. Has anyone ever vented through a window?

If you have a window you have an outside wall - so yes, you do have someplace to vent properly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Motronic posted:

If you have a window you have an outside wall - so yes, you do have someplace to vent properly.

His condo association may not allow him to do it.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

metztli posted:

Other than a bit more size and a 50% increase in price, what does the genesis offer over the spirit? The weber site doesn't really do a great job of letting me know the diff.

It's been a while since I did my comparison shopping but here's what I remember. The Genesis has more BTUs. The Genesis is built from much heavier-gauge materials; Amazon says the shipping weight is 170 lbs vs. the Spirit's 128 lbs. I like the look of the Genesis more. Looking at the 3 burner Spirit vs the Genesis, the price difference is about $100 for all of that. If you ever grill for more than 2 people, you will be glad for the extra space that the Genesis offers. More space also means that the burners are separated from each other more, allowing a better temperature difference when doing any 2-zone grilling.

Any Weber grill should last a long time. I figured we'd be using this grill for at least 10 years, so I wanted to try to anticipate future needs. The thing is a tank and will easily last that long. I think we paid $600 for it- about half as much as we paid for the range in the kitchen. In the summer though, we use the grill way more often than the stove or oven.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Economic Sinkhole posted:

It's been a while since I did my comparison shopping but here's what I remember. The Genesis has more BTUs. The Genesis is built from much heavier-gauge materials; Amazon says the shipping weight is 170 lbs vs. the Spirit's 128 lbs. I like the look of the Genesis more. Looking at the 3 burner Spirit vs the Genesis, the price difference is about $100 for all of that. If you ever grill for more than 2 people, you will be glad for the extra space that the Genesis offers. More space also means that the burners are separated from each other more, allowing a better temperature difference when doing any 2-zone grilling.

Any Weber grill should last a long time. I figured we'd be using this grill for at least 10 years, so I wanted to try to anticipate future needs. The thing is a tank and will easily last that long. I think we paid $600 for it- about half as much as we paid for the range in the kitchen. In the summer though, we use the grill way more often than the stove or oven.

Very much appreciated! Looking in more depth it seems like the Genesis II LX e or s 340 will fit the bill nicely; a bit pricey but as you say, we will be using it for a long time, and we will also use it quite frequently, year round.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Genesis is definitely a more "heavy duty" grill than the Spirit. You can especially feel it in the weight of the lid.

The version I have is the "EP" series, which means I have the enamel exterior parts but upgraded stainless steel interior cooking surfaces. It's super easy to get my grates clean after or before every cook. I don't know if the latest version of the Genesis that just came out this year has this option or not, but something to consider.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

metztli posted:

I've got a farm (zoned agricultural) property in northern Illinois, there are 2 trees on one side of the house, which we might be taking down, and other than that, the closest trees are over 150' away. The mesh couldn't hurt, and is cheap enough, but it almost certainly isn't necessary.

100% get some sort of gutter guard now while it's being installed, you'll be glad you did later. I bought the black expanded metal screen type ones from home depot, and those work great, they just slide right on. Plus they were only like 10$ for 15'

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

My wok is cast iron. It's heavy as gently caress but it feels amazing to cook with it.

You should mention this whenever you talk about your wok cooking, because like 99% of people reading your post are going to think you're discussing a normal steel wok or possibly a nonstick/electric wok, and they are not going to get the same results as you.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

100% get some sort of gutter guard now while it's being installed, you'll be glad you did later. I bought the black expanded metal screen type ones from home depot, and those work great, they just slide right on. Plus they were only like 10$ for 15'

For sure - looking at it, it's a trivial expense for a reasonable benefit.

Now that I have the grill and the gutters handled, I've got to figure out the patio situation.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

HEY NONG MAN posted:

His condo association may not allow him to do it.

Yep, this.

I guess I can use a window fan. Won't help the grease, but it's only 2 feet to the left of the stove, so it should cut down on odors.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
One wonders how people managed to cook meat indoors for loving centuries without a vent hood. Y'all have had too cushy a life if you have never had to smell dinner cooking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

One wonders how people managed to cook meat indoors for loving centuries without a vent hood. Y'all have had too cushy a life if you have never had to smell dinner cooking.

How did people ever manage to survive without furnaces, or electric lights, or canned food, or any number of other conveniences of modern life? Answer: they spent more time and energy on accomplishing the same things, getting (generally) worse results for more effort.

And as has been noted time and again, the point isn't to keep the smell under control so much as it is to avoid having grease all over everything in your kitchen. Yeah, sure, you can scrub your entire kitchen down to clean up the grease...or you could just use a loving vent hood.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

therobit posted:

I like to use this exact same argument against electricity, plumbing, and horseless carriages.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

therobit posted:

If only our forbearers could have invented some kind of rectangular masonry structure designed to create draft to vent hot gasses and smoke from the structure.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 5, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Droo posted:

I like to use this exact same argument against electricity, plumbing, and horseless carriages.

Having to smell cooked food in a home does not seem quite on the same level. People act horrified at the idea.

Putting a splatter guard over your pans is a cheap way to deal with grease that I don't see mentioned much.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

therobit posted:

In the 19th century and earlier, if you were wealthy enough your kitchen wouldn't have even been connected to your house because of odor and fire risk. Until the 1950s, kitchens were closed off from the rest of the house precisely to contain smoke and odors. We didn't usually open kitchens to the rest of the home until climate control and vent hoods were common.

Splatter guards are p. great and everyone should use them, though they don't do much for odor or smoke.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Buca di Bepis posted:

Having to smell cooked food in a home does not seem quite on the same level. People act horrified at the idea.

If you've ever cooked bacon without using a vent hood, you'll know that the scent lingers for, like, days. And sure, it's bacon, bacon smells awesome, but that doesn't mean I want to be smelling it all the time.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

how the hell are you people cooking bacon?

I don't use a vent hood, make like 5 strips and don't get grease and poo poo everywhere and my house sure as poo poo doesn't reek of bacon the next day.

(I still want a vent hood)

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

No Butt Stuff posted:

how the hell are you people cooking bacon?

I don't use a vent hood, make like 5 strips and don't get grease and poo poo everywhere and my house sure as poo poo doesn't reek of bacon the next day.

(I still want a vent hood)

They're goons, so I wouldn't be surprised if they fry up and eat several pigs' worth of bacon daily.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

well you see bacon has 0 carbs so
:goonsay:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The something awful internet comedy forums homeownership thread: Where a common kitchen accessory is controversial.

I own three metal spatulas, discuss.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I own none except the one for my grill because it will ruin the lovely nonstick pans I have.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
I hid all the metal spatulas last time we had a house guest.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Went ahead and ordered the Weber Spirit 310 today from Amazon. Excited to be able to cook all summer.

Will pick up a couple of propane tanks from Wally World in the next few days.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Will pick up a couple of propane tanks from Wally World in the next few days.

Check what your insurance says about tanks. Some policies have restrictions on storing (unconnected) tanks, so you might end up only being able to have one.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Subjunctive posted:

Check what your insurance says about tanks. Some policies have restrictions on storing (unconnected) tanks, so you might end up only being able to have one.

Oh interesting, maybe I'll just get a Blue Rhino then, because there's an exchange station at the gas station right up the street.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Get a prevaccumed tank from Walmart or wherever and get it filled at a local guy that uses a scale. Those blue Rhino tanks don't get filled up very much. I go all summer on the local hardware store tank, one month on the swap out tanks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

The something awful internet comedy forums homeownership thread: Where a common kitchen accessory is controversial.

I own three metal spatulas, discuss.

The presence of a range hood isn't what's controversial here, but rather the lack of one. Apparently. A lot of posters seem to think that kitchens without range hoods just reek of old meat all the time but that's only true if you're a messy cook

I own two metal spatulas and a couple of cast iron things (wok, pan, dutch oven) that use them, seems like a good combo

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

The presence of a range hood isn't what's controversial here, but rather the lack of one. Apparently. A lot of posters seem to think that kitchens without range hoods just reek of old meat all the time but that's only true if you're a messy cook

I own two metal spatulas and a couple of cast iron things (wok, pan, dutch oven) that use them, seems like a good combo

People are saying that if you cook lots of bacon without a range hood over a long period of time a greasy nasty residue will build up on all your kitchen cabinets and walls.

I bought a house with a range hood and this can apparently happen despite having a fancy vented hood with 3 blower speeds that vents directly outside. I have no idea how the previous owners managed it - I assume they didn't bother to turn the thing on. Cleaning grease off of cabinets is a pain in the rear end.

I now assume that everyone's house is covered in bacon grease and they are somehow unaware of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can cook bacon without spraying aerosolized grease everywhere by using a splatter shield and by using less heat (which prevents the drippings from smoking as much)

Or be a real pro and bake it

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Does torching steaks with a butane/propane torch cause less smoke than pan searing? We don't have a proper range hood :(

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

A lot of posters seem to think that kitchens without range hoods just reek of old meat all the time but that's only true if you're a messy cook

Teach the controversy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't know man, it just seems weird to me to treat spraying grease everywhere as a completely normal thing when it's so easy to not do that while cooking. Even professional kitchens use splatter guards despite having commercial ventilation, maybe consider getting one

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know man, it just seems weird to me to treat spraying grease everywhere as a completely normal thing when it's so easy to not do that while cooking. Even professional kitchens use splatter guards despite having commercial ventilation, maybe consider getting one

Hopefully something I won't have to deal with now that I've bought my new grill.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
This is what my kitchen looks like:

I've seen this exact same type of range/microwave combo in nearly every house listing with an "updated kitchen." It simply blows the smoke/grease right up into those cabinets and the ceiling. And that's only of what little it sucks in, if you are cooking on the front burners it doesn't bother with getting sucked up under the microwave, it just goes straight up to the ceiling.

Hopefully replacing the microwave with a real hood soon, to vent out the wall behind the cabinet. Still trying to figure out if there is any way to actually pick out a range hood and know if it's any good.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I just think it is an exaggeration ti say you can't cook without a hood vent and not spray grease everywhere or smoke uo rhe house. That said, I don't di a lot of deeo frying or cook a ton of fish either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Closed on my house today, picking up the keys on next Wednesday

Bonus it even came gift wrapped