Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright I made it on my first run this time, I was strapped pretty thin by the end and on the cusp of death a few times, but I made it.

Zore posted:

Also, although I have just met him, Yusuke is a huge creep and I already thoroughly dislike him.

I love him

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I was mad about that too, I'd barely used him before the game was forcing me to do a fusion that involved him. I know you can re-summon but ¥2000 is a lot of money at that point.

You get a very good cutscene for fusing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

Well, you don't get a chance to register him prior.

he's in by default, don't worry

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Morgana is like infinitely better than Teddy ever was

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

slev posted:

Morgana is like infinitely better than Teddy ever was

you are unBEARably wrong but Morgana is good yea

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really preferred punny fun times Teddie to endless horndogbear Teddie and I doubt Morgana is the type to get up to any of the latter nonsense.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oxxidation posted:

I really preferred punny fun times Teddie to endless horndogbear Teddie and I doubt Morgana is the type to get up to any of the latter nonsense.

Well, I have some bad news...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

How the gently caress do I make it to the end of the castle in a single run, I'm up to the tower but everyone has like 10SP left.
I have a Soma in reserve (probably from the free DLC) but it seems like a waste to use it for that.

Also I'm like level 9 and one of the tower enemies looked like a boss recolor but instead of doing the boss moves they used Mahakoun and instagibbed my entire party with no warning.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bewilderment posted:

How the gently caress do I make it to the end of the castle in a single run, I'm up to the tower but everyone has like 10SP left.
I have a Soma in reserve (probably from the free DLC) but it seems like a waste to use it for that.

Also I'm like level 9 and one of the tower enemies looked like a boss recolor but instead of doing the boss moves they used Mahakoun and instagibbed my entire party with no warning.

You're not really supposed to do it in a single run and check out enemies with Third Eye, if they're red stay far away.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

bewilderment posted:

The Soma sells for fifty thousand bucks.

I mean, it's your items, but...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How do you get the DLC? Just from the store?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heath posted:

How do you get the DLC? Just from the store?

It's a free download from the store, yeah. Just check under add-ons.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Who voices Morgana sounds super familiar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who voices Morgana sounds super familiar.

Cassandra Morris, she voiced Elphelt in Guilty Gear, Kyubey in Madoka, and Edea in Bravely Default.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Captain Baal posted:

You get a very good cutscene for fusing him

Yeah, I really loved that touch.

Also, I wanted to get Izanagi but didn't want to "cheat"/wreck the difficulty curve, so I took the 0 yen Izanagi personas and then immediately deleted them, and now they have proper prices in my compendium. They're still too strong for where I'm at, so I'll wait to buy each one until I get to the appropriate level, but it's nice that a solution to that issue exists.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Anyone know how to fuse Nekomata?

Is it Jack Frost x Someone?

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I got to say I love just how poo poo everything is so far, uncle gives you a poo poo room, get to school everyone treats you like poo poo, heard one student say "here's the trash bag" it's great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I WANT THE LADIES TO LOVE ME

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Perfect.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I managed to get the game earlier than most. There was something that felt off about some of the game, but I figured it was because I was coming from Nier Automata. I kinda hate that the TL was pointed out because now I am going to notice it from here on out :(

Anyway, question on a bit of dialog when Yusuke gets his nickname: Can someone explain the abura-age joke? I get that it is some sort of food pun

As an aside, I love the little monologues that the personas themselves have when they are first invoked. Makes them less a glorified Stand and more of a literal devil on their shoulder.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I want to make sure I don't waste a day. First dungeon spoilers: I went through the first dungeon to the treasure first night. I'm now working on making the lockpicks for the locked chests I passed. Will I be able to use these when I go after sending the calling card? Or do I need to spend a day to go and unlock them?

Also, will sending the calling card early lock me out of any side-quests?

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Anyway, question on a bit of dialog when Yusuke gets his nickname: Can someone explain the abura-age joke? I get that it is some sort of food pun

Abura-age is fried tofu. In Japan, certain foods topped with fried tofu are labeled with "kitsune" (kitsune udon, kitsune soba, etc) because it's thought that foxes like fried tofu. And since Yusuke's outfit theme is fox....

It's a pretty obtuse joke unless you know Japanese culture, so it's pretty silly that they didn't bother to localize the joke at all.

DontMindMe posted:

I want to make sure I don't waste a day. First dungeon spoilers: I went through the first dungeon to the treasure first night. I'm now working on making the lockpicks for the locked chests I passed. Will I be able to use these when I go after sending the calling card? Or do I need to spend a day to go and unlock them?

Also, will sending the calling card early lock me out of any side-quests?

You can still get the chests after sending out a calling card.

Also, you can make lockpicks and other tools in the evenings of the days you send out calling cards. It's actually the only activity the game lets you do, aside from immediately going to bed, so no need to waste an evening making tools.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I got no idea how people make it through the palace in one day. I did it in 2 and it was still kinda tight at the end.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm looking through the digital manual, and it says that a persona's St. stat is used for Melee Attacks, while Ma. is used for all skills. Does that mean that physical skills like cleave are governed by Ma.? That can't be right, can it?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm looking through the digital manual, and it says that a persona's St. stat is used for Melee Attacks, while Ma. is used for all skills. Does that mean that physical skills like cleave are governed by Ma.? That can't be right, can it?

Phys and gun skills were both controlled by Dx in SMT4, while St was only used for sword normal attacks, so there's precedent, at least.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

If that is the case, (and I'm still skeptical) then I also wonder what persona stat affects the gun? That's neither Melee Attack nor a skill.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Argh why do so many Confidants have to be gated behind social stats. They take so long to build up!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Man simply moving around and interacting with things in this game is more frustrating than maybe any third person game I've ever played

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

ajkalan posted:

Argh why do so many Confidants have to be gated behind social stats. They take so long to build up!

persona

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wish this game didn't just kinda arbitrarily decide you need to go to bed early when there's a plot scene the next day. I just rented some dvds but there's no opportunity to watch them because my cat kept forcing me to go to sleep. I couldn't even return them on time!!!

Also, oh my god so many social links require stats now. This sucks!! On the other hand the original party of 4 have a really good dynamic and I love them a lot. Good game so far.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think by having the S.Links require the lower levels of stats it encourages you to raise them constantly through the game, which is probably a good habit to have. Better than running face first into MAX KNOWLEDGE OR GTFO with Mitsuru, for instance.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man I got no idea how people make it through the palace in one day. I did it in 2 and it was still kinda tight at the end.

I did it in a day, but I did redeem Izanagi which let me save SP. Everyone ended up around LV15 by the boss so even at LV20 the advantage wasn't much.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I wasn't really feeling the music/vocalist for this game, until the nighttime vocal track showed up. That is superb.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dehry posted:

I did it in a day, but I did redeem Izanagi which let me save SP. Everyone ended up around LV15 by the boss so even at LV20 the advantage wasn't much.

15!? I beat it with everyone at 10, getting to 11 from the boss fight... And it took me an extra day too. I mean I didn't get a cheaty DLC Persona but surely it shouldn't make that much of a difference!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Infinity Gaia posted:

15!? I beat it with everyone at 10, getting to 11 from the boss fight... And it took me an extra day too. I mean I didn't get a cheaty DLC Persona but surely it shouldn't make that much of a difference!

I'm on safety mode. I don't know if that has an EXP modifier or not but I could easily dispatch demons with two regular attacks. The only issue was keeping them healed. It wasn't as concerning without a game over threat.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dehry posted:

I'm on safety mode. I don't know if that has an EXP modifier or not but I could easily dispatch demons with two regular attacks. The only issue was keeping them healed. It wasn't as concerning without a game over threat.

Oh well yeah if you're gonna play on Safety mode. Maybe mention that first, geez. I'm playing on literally the other end of the difficulty spectrum from you.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's how it went for me, it was funny to see all my allies hit 11 and get the exact abilities I needed for the fight (attack down and media) right after. Managed to tough it out with one of the big heal 100 to all items and lots of heal spamming, and I burned some probably precious blessed waters removing his attack buff. I'm playing on hard, so it took my 3 days total (one to get halfway, one to reach treasure, then send in the calling card and fight). Maybe four days since calling card seems to eat up two days?

I'm hoping that you can new game plus it with all your social stats carrying over, like you could in P4, so I'm not really sweating maxing out every confidant, though I'm drat sure min-maxing as much as I can and hope to be able to do the next palace in one day. One thing that greatly aids this:

I WON THE LOTTO FIRST WEEK! WOOO! 100k surprise windfall is going to help out quite a bit, now I just need to find places to buy more SP restoring items. Protip: play that lotto!

Loving the game so far, I'm hoping they come up with more ways to mix up the boss fights along the line. If there's a fight that makes you channel strength into a party member and turn them into a boss-level character, or transformation, and you just control one big force of nature vs. a giant boss I will lose my mind because I really want that to happen.

I'm torn on Ryuji because he's putting out real solid damage, but I of course need to fill up my team with as many female characters as possible and I love the painting guy even just from the brief glimpse of him I saw in the intro video. Cat's #1 on the chopping block though, just need other people to have media or other fine heals and he's out, sorry.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

First Persona game here.

Apparently this game is amount MANAGING TIME EFFECTIVELY.

9 hours in, only beat first boss.

gently caress.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Night Blade posted:

First Persona game here.

Apparently this game is amount MANAGING TIME EFFECTIVELY.

9 hours in, only beat first boss.

gently caress.
Good job, you're a tenth of the way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

To me a Persona game is about trying to manage time effectively, failing horribly, still getting a decent amount of S.Links and then using a guide for a second playthrough.

My ability to remember all the conditional special days for poo poo in this game is not good. The only ones that have stuck are: Always have 5000 yen and visit the Shibuya station on Sundays for a time slot free stat boost (but expensive monetarily), and that mondays and thursdays at night the bathhouse has that good herb poo poo going on and you get an extra charm point for going there. But there's like special meals and like half the goddamn places in the game have special poo poo going on if it's raining and you can only buy that loving YAKISOBA BREAD on Fridays and jesus christ goddamn it gently caress

By the way everyone should go and watch movies all the time forever they're great

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 5, 2017