Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think the point is that a dinky militia weapon is better than war aspect shrine gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
2" is a lovely range upgrade.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Finally getting Space Hulk painted, and am still pretty new to this whole business. How about some C&C for this WIP terminator?

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0K5oqs3qGQ11HR

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goatface posted:

2" is a lovely range upgrade.

It's a 5 point upgrade. Don't take it.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
good thing only Guardians can use regular catapults and only Dire Avengers can use Avenger shuriken catapults then!!!! it's almost like Guardians are shittier than Dire Avengers and you can't even stop them from loving "upgrading" their catapults when they come back from their stupid vision quest poo poo!!!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
making GBS threads on Slaanesh for another edition.

CSM marks:

– Khorne: Add 1 to the fighter’s Attacks characteristic.
Why not Frenzy, like the 2E this is based on?

– Tzeentch: The fighter has a 5+ invulnerable save.
Changed from 4+, but still pretty good.

– Nurgle: Add 1 to the fighter’s Toughness characteristic.
Why bother picking anything else?

– Slaanesh: Add 1 to the fighter’s Initiative characteristic.
FFS GW.

– Undivided: Add 1 to the fighter’s Leadership characteristic.
FFS GW.

Even if they're using the falling rules in this game, Initiative is a pretty lovely stat. Wished they'd at least give access to Noise Marine weapons.

In 2E the Marks had different points values. They're free in this, so unless you want to play a different Chaos god for fluff reasons, there's no reason not to take Nurgle and just laugh at any attempt to kill your CSM.

At least this means I can bust out some old school Harlequins and actually use them in a game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Phyresis posted:

good thing only Guardians can use regular catapults and only Dire Avengers can use Avenger shuriken catapults then!!!! it's almost like Guardians are shittier than Dire Avengers and you can't even stop them from loving "upgrading" their catapults when they come back from their stupid vision quest poo poo!!!

I am putting together an Eldar list right now, and I think that they are nasty enough where this isn't really a meaningful problem. The Weapons Platform being invincible and not requiring the gunner to have line of sight is amazing.

Torn between a diresword for stabbing action on the Exarch, or the ever stylish dual Avenger Shuriken Catapults.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

glitchkrieg posted:

CSM marks:

– Tzeentch: The fighter has a 5+ invulnerable save.
Changed from 4+, but still pretty good.

– Nurgle: Add 1 to the fighter’s Toughness characteristic.
Why bother picking anything else?

– Slaanesh: Add 1 to the fighter’s Initiative characteristic.
FFS GW.

– Undivided: Add 1 to the fighter’s Leadership characteristic.
FFS GW.

Even if they're using the falling rules in this game, Initiative is a pretty lovely stat. Wished they'd at least give access to Noise Marine weapons.

In 2E the Marks had different points values. They're free in this, so unless you want to play a different Chaos god for fluff reasons, there's no reason not to take Nurgle and just laugh at any attempt to kill your CSM.

At least this means I can bust out some old school Harlequins and actually use them in a game.

Initiative is so totally not a dump stat, it really winds me up that so many Necro players say this. It's great for: jumping from ledges, avoiding falling, escaping pinning, winning ties in combat, shooting fleeting targets on overwatch. I'd much rather have it than the Tzeentch save or the undivided mark... possibly even prefer it to the Khorne one to be honest given that this is mainly a shooting game.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Shadin posted:

Finally getting Space Hulk painted, and am still pretty new to this whole business. How about some C&C for this WIP terminator?

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0K5oqs3qGQ11HR

Looks good so far (but let me be the first to say: Drill your barrels! Or at least dot them on in black. Looks much better on the table that way). I like the shading on the armor; nice progression of tones from almost-purple to almost-orange, good strong contrast.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

ineptmule posted:

Initiative is so totally not a dump stat, it really winds me up that so many Necro players say this. It's great for: jumping from ledges, avoiding falling, escaping pinning, winning ties in combat, shooting fleeting targets on overwatch. I'd much rather have it than the Tzeentch save or the undivided mark... possibly even prefer it to the Khorne one to be honest given that this is mainly a shooting game.

Oh in NCE, it's certainly not a dump stat, but that's because they've tweaked things to make Initiative less useless.

I think Shadow War will be less shooty-focused than Necromunda, mainly because everybody has some form of armour, and half the "races" are toting S3 weapons for their line troops, so getting a MEQ into combat won't be all that difficult.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

glitchkrieg posted:

CSM marks:

Because Frenzy can be both a detriment and a bonus. With the Mark, you get the extra attack without having to worry about going berserk and losing Parry, or having to pay extra for someone who has no Psych modifiers. Frenzy might be something you can add later with Combat Stimms or something.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That and Frenzy would be the ideal rule to hold back for Khorne Berserker or daemon kill teams.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

glitchkrieg posted:

Oh in NCE, it's certainly not a dump stat, but that's because they've tweaked things to make Initiative less useless.

I think Shadow War will be less shooty-focused than Necromunda, mainly because everybody has some form of armour, and half the "races" are toting S3 weapons for their line troops, so getting a MEQ into combat won't be all that difficult.

Just rolling a Hit pins a fighter, so it will be just as shooty as NM. Armor only makes a difference on To Wound, so yeah, you'll have a better chance of getting to HTH.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

Because Frenzy can be both a detriment and a bonus. With the Mark, you get the extra attack without having to worry about going berserk and losing Parry, or having to pay extra for someone who has no Psych modifiers. Frenzy might be something you can add later with Combat Stimms or something.

Guess I'm too stuck in 2E ways and always think of "Khorne = Frenzy". I guess if you're going with the fluff, it makes more sense to have the +1A.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That and Frenzy would be the ideal rule to hold back for Khorne Berserker or daemon kill teams.

Hadn't thought of that - expansions with more troop choices would be quite nice. I'm surprised there aren't any Aberrants in the GC list but I'm assuming that's because they haven't been released separately from Kill Team.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Just rolling a Hit pins a fighter, so it will be just as shooty as NM. Armor only makes a difference on To Wound, so yeah, you'll have a better chance of getting to HTH.

I found that pinning really isn't that much of an issue if there's lots of cover on the table. Having 5+ or better armour on so many models will make a big difference to how it's played compared to NM.

I'm kinda surprised that GW didn't just take the rules for CSM from Outlanders, where Power Armour gave them a load of skills for free, including the one that meant you could test for pinning without having to worry about somebody being with 2".

hexa fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 4, 2017

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Looks good so far (but let me be the first to say: Drill your barrels! Or at least dot them on in black. Looks much better on the table that way). I like the shading on the armor; nice progression of tones from almost-purple to almost-orange, good strong contrast.

Thanks man. And yeah, I don't have a drill yet, haha. Since the front of the gun will be easy to touch up I'm gonna drill them out later. This is my first time using Army Painter stuff and so far I really like it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

glitchkrieg posted:

Guess I'm too stuck in 2E ways and always think of "Khorne = Frenzy". I guess if you're going with the fluff, it makes more sense to have the +1A.
Yeah, it took me a while to get on board with the "all Khorne worshipers are not Berzerkers" train too.

glitchkrieg posted:

I'm kinda surprised that GW didn't just take the rules for CSM from Outlanders, where Power Armour gave them a load of skills for free, including the one that meant you could test for pinning without having to worry about somebody being with 2".
But CSMs weren't in Outlanders? Outlanders complicated things (gently caress you, Spyrers) and I'll be happier if they just ignore most of it for ASW.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

But CSMs weren't in Outlanders? Outlanders complicated things (gently caress you, Spyrers) and I'll be happier if they just ignore most of it for ASW.

They were in the Arbitrator section, only really used if you had a "DM".

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

glitchkrieg posted:

Normal marines can break pinning like that thanks to And They Shall Know No Fear. They're also immune to Fear and Terror because of course they are.

Chaos Marines don't have that rule, they get marks instead. I see cultists playing an important role as meat shields and supporting the chaos marines so they can get out of pinning early.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

Normal marines can break pinning like that thanks to And They Shall Know No Fear. They're also immune to Fear and Terror because of course they are.

Chaos Marines don't have that rule, they get marks instead. I see cultists playing an important role as meat shields and supporting the chaos marines so they can get out of pinning early.

FFS GW.

*literally hangs out with daemons in their down-time*
*scared of a Harlequin*

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

glitchkrieg posted:

FFS GW.

*literally hangs out with daemons in their down-time*
*scared of a Harlequin*

I never got that either. Every Chaos Space has experienced horrors that have left them completely jaded beyond reason........but the loyalist #1 emperor's butt boy space marines are the ones that get the special leadership rules.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LordAbaddon posted:

I never got that either. Every Chaos Space has experienced horrors that have left them completely jaded beyond reason........but the loyalist #1 emperor's butt boy space marines are the ones that get the special leadership rules.

It's not being scared, it's self preservation - GW named the ATSKNF rule stupidly. HH-era Marines don't have the fanatical devotion that current SMs do. A CSM is more than willing to back away from a fight if it is in his best interest.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Supposedly CSM are always looking out for number 1 (themselves), so they are easier to convince that running away is great. Meanwhile, Space Marines see glorious death as an acceptable outcome in the service of the Emperor.

So a CSM will NOPE after seeing some monstrosity and will run away to win single combat against enemy hero some other day, while a Space Marine will charge it to either kill it for the Emperor or be immortalized as that dude that died trying to melee a titan for the Emperor.

Plus, in regular TT - the shittiest of TT - you have to give CSM some downsides/tradeoffs for all those demon gifts and years of experience. Of course, that was implemented before the marketing became focused on Marines.

Meanwhile, poor Guardsmen, back to 6+ armor :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's not being scared, it's self preservation - GW named the ATSKNF rule stupidly. HH-era Marines don't have the fanatical devotion that current SMs do. A CSM is more than willing to back away from a fight if it is in his best interest.

This is it precisely. It's a reflection of a breakdown in discipline.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is it plain 6+, or did then include the special flak rule where its' 5+ against template/blast weapons?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

At least loyalist Marines have faith that the Emperor will scoop up their souls when they die so as to shelter them from the horrors of the Warp to await the final war, from whence they will be summoned to defend humanity and the Imperium one last time...

The traitors know exactly what's waiting for them when they die, and they are scared of it. Most of them have no aspirations of becoming a champion or ascending to daemonhood, they just want to survive. They might hate the Empire and all of humanity but they are focused on survival first of all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Is it plain 6+, or did then include the special flak rule where its' 5+ against template/blast weapons?

I believe I saw that it's the 5+ against templates.

JcDent posted:

Meanwhile, poor Guardsmen, back to 6+ armor :(
Better than no save at all, trooper! Also, report to the Commissar for a morale boost.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
ATSKNF is the wrong rule name to apply to being able to escape from pinning. Recovering nerve and whatnot is more what it's about.

All marines should be able to break pinning, they are always portrayed as shrugging off small arms fire due to their armour.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LordAbaddon posted:

Don't forget the Orks have 'em too. If we outnumber you in models not downed, +1L. If it's by double, +2L. Mob rule best rule.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 5, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ineptmule posted:

ATSKNF is the wrong rule name to apply to being able to escape from pinning. Recovering nerve and whatnot is more what it's about.

All marines should be able to break pinning, they are always portrayed as shrugging off small arms fire due to their armour.

Pinning is about fear, tho. You are not knocked down by the impact; you are actually going OH poo poo and hugging the ground. That's why you have a pinning bubble: you see a buddy getting shot and you hug ground, too.

Does getting pinned affect cover? Can your miniature go from half to full cover since it's now down on the ground?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

glitchkrieg posted:

Wished they'd at least give access to Noise Marine weapons.

Yeah this makes me super sad, can only hope they'll update with more stuff later on.

For now I think I'll start painting up the Tallarn guys I picked up awhile back.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I will be doing Vostroyans for my first force.

Really looking forward to painting them.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

JcDent posted:

Pinning is about fear, tho. You are not knocked down by the impact; you are actually going OH poo poo and hugging the ground. That's why you have a pinning bubble: you see a buddy getting shot and you hug ground, too.

Does getting pinned affect cover? Can your miniature go from half to full cover since it's now down on the ground?

Well sorta. Not completely, that's what losing your nerve/being broken is for as well.

Basically a space marine, chaos flavoured or otherwise, should not be pinned by lasgun fire, however you want to frame it.

Edit: my suggestion would be that having Power or Terminator Armour confers the 'Juggernaut' Muscle skill if a successful armour save is made.

Edit 2: Okay so Juggernaut isn't in SW:A, but basically - pass a Strength test to avoid being pinned.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 5, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Terminator armor makes the wearer immune to pinning except for weapons S7 and above. Power armor should probably have done the same, but :shrug:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

Terminator armor makes the wearer immune to pinning except for weapons S7 and above. Power armor should probably have done the same, but :shrug:

This is good. I agree. Maybe PA should have the Strength limit be 5 or even 4 - mainly I think autoguns, lasguns etc. shouldn't pin PA marines. I can see the argument that Bolter fire would cause a marine to think twice before advancing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ineptmule posted:

This is good. I agree. Maybe PA should have the Strength limit be 5 or even 4 - mainly I think autoguns, lasguns etc. shouldn't pin PA marines. I can see the argument that Bolter fire would cause a marine to think twice before advancing.

Yeah a marine will still flinch at a bolter and seek some cover. Lasguns and s3 on the other hand should have some reduced effect or similar since marines are likely to charge through that poo poo.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Vostroyans on 25 or 32mm bases? I will be going with the Sector Imperialis bases.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How are you going to deal with their dearth of weapon options?

I'd say 25mm is Guardsman size, yeah.

Edit: Vostroyans are pro choice for Steel Legion branch carapce vets otherwise. Great minis - space cossacks - even if they are metal.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 5, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

They have snipers, flamers, grenade launchers and plasma guns available, which is enough.

I will paint them up and put them through a few games. I will have GS cult, space marine scouts, orks and other forces anyway. My GSC is almost completely painted but is just the stuff from overkill.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

JcDent posted:

If it affects the visibility to the model, that's how I've always played it. Means you can change Closest Target too.

ineptmule posted:

Well sorta. Not completely, that's what losing your nerve/being broken is for as well.

Basically a space marine, chaos flavoured or otherwise, should not be pinned by lasgun fire, however you want to frame it.

Edit: my suggestion would be that having Power or Terminator Armour confers the 'Juggernaut' Muscle skill if a successful armour save is made.

Edit 2: Okay so Juggernaut isn't in SW:A, but basically - pass a Strength test to avoid being pinned.

Yeah, the high impact idea (or your variations) would work well here.

These are the old NM rules for CSM.

I'm thinking of digging out some of the really old one-piece sculpts like the Slaanesh Champion and 80s as gently caress Noise Marine with a guitar - would work well for this month's oath too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Yeah, CSM needed some kind of Veterans of the Long War special rule to make 'em a bit grittier but I suspect that they lack such for balance reasons; the cheap cultist cannon fodder should more than make up for it

How exactly do pistols work in close combat? For example, a Dire Avenger Exarch with WS5 S3 I6 A2, armed with a shuriken pistol and a knife charges something.