Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I deliberated over that self-destruct option for about half an hour when I first played. Should I leave it off? Is someone going to try and blow me up in the future and I need it to be off to not die? Or will circumstances call for another tactical suicide later, and I'll regret not being able to explode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

This is like that Arthur meme. "When the robo-boy you started getting emotional over doesn't remember you because he reverted to an earlier backup after your suicide pact."

Wonder why they break up this ongoing conflict in separate Wars. Do they have a go at, fail, take a break and go "Okay, let's call this Round 2?"

Probably cycling between high-intensity periods of conflict to seize ground/repel concentrated machine assaults and periods of lower intensityl raiding and skirmishing where both sides are rebuilding their forces for the next Big Push

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I deliberated over that self-destruct option for about half an hour when I first played. Should I leave it off? Is someone going to try and blow me up in the future and I need it to be off to not die? Or will circumstances call for another tactical suicide later, and I'll regret not being able to explode?

Me too, then I totally forgot about it like right after the next story beat :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

MarquiseMindfang posted:

These are the kind of over-analytical panics we force ourselves into when we know Yoko Taro is at the wheel :v:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

warhammer651 posted:

Probably cycling between high-intensity periods of conflict to seize ground/repel concentrated machine assaults and periods of lower intensityl raiding and skirmishing where both sides are rebuilding their forces for the next Big Push

Considering that humans have space stations and stuff, and the machines apparently don't or at least can't destroy them, I think they're really over-complicating the whole thing by sending androids down when they could just bomb the machines from orbit.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ah, humanity created another sapient humanoid species. Yay.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Considering that humans have space stations and stuff, and the machines apparently don't or at least can't destroy them, I think they're really over-complicating the whole thing by sending androids down when they could just bomb the machines from orbit.

But then we couldn't draw any religious parallels to our M.O., and if you don't do something in style, why even bother?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well also I assume the robots would figure it out and just go underground or something.

A space lazer can only do so many things.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Knowing them, they'd make it a bit too strong and it would turn their moon into a Death Star.

Which isn't great since they want to take Earth back, not take it down.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

I mean, they probably want the planet to still be livable when the war's over, which requires an intact biosphere, and WMD's have a tendency to gently caress those up so...

Regardless, I'm sure we'll learn why the humans haven't started harvesting the rest of the solar system for material in due time.

Or we can knock an order of magnitude off the dates for something just slightly more sane.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

warhammer651 posted:

Regardless, I'm sure we'll learn why the humans haven't started harvesting the rest of the solar system for material in due time.

The harvesting machines are rebelling, would you want to make a giant robot to harvest mars if the last time you made a thing to harvest grain it tried to punch you to death?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The harvesting machines are rebelling, would you want to make a giant robot to harvest mars if the last time you made a thing to harvest grain it tried to punch you to death?

no, the robots on the surface were created by aliens, pay attention.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Aliens invade Earth and makes "machine lifeforms" to fight humans, humans make and send scantly clad androids to fight machine lifeforms. Proxy war ahoy.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My first reaction to the year 12000 was "Humanity is loving dead, no way in hell they survived being up there longer than recorded human history." I have no clue whether or not this is true, but I'll buy a platinum account if anything is left of humanity at the end of this game.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 5, 2017

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I hadn't checked this sub-forum in a while and OH poo poo! I don't have a PS4 and my computer couldn't run this at all and every stream I've tried watching has been a painful mess. So this is the next best thing. :getin:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Nohman posted:

I hadn't checked this sub-forum in a while and OH poo poo! I don't have a PS4 and my computer couldn't run this at all and every stream I've tried watching has been a painful mess. So this is the next best thing. :getin:

Good choice friend, Glory to Mankind.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

warhammer651 posted:

no, the robots on the surface were created by aliens, pay attention.

They took over human factories and stuff though. That recorded dialogue that plays was from way before the aliens attacked, but the factory is pumping out little stubby machine lifeforms.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

But yes, self-destruct is essential function for this game. You'll see. You shall all see the genius of it.

After pod get petted.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Cheers, there's a new update!

That is an excellent emote, right up with the Mikhail :buddy: one. Also very appropriate; if the poor kid's still rolling around, he needs a drink badly!

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Nuebot posted:

They took over human factories and stuff though. That recorded dialogue that plays was from way before the aliens attacked, but the factory is pumping out little stubby machine lifeforms.

Sure, but that's just capturing a factory and converting it to make weapons, not an argument against using factories

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So how many of the endings are "blow yourself up on boss X"?

I'm not sure I really wanna know.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

warhammer651 posted:

I mean, they probably want the planet to still be livable when the war's over, which requires an intact biosphere, and WMD's have a tendency to gently caress those up so...

I'm not saying they have to glass the entire planet. But everything 2B did in that first level could have been accomplished by dropping a big rock on the facility from orbit. A really big rock. Or a nuclear warhead if you're feeling fancy. Which come to think of it is sort of equivalent to what 2B and 9S did in the end, except with a lot more trouble for no reason.

I'm starting to think the whole YoRHa androids thing is just a millennia long scheme to funnel money into the pocket of some defense contractor on the moon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

warhammer651 posted:

Sure, but that's just capturing a factory and converting it to make weapons, not an argument against using factories

I'm just saying, if a grain harvester ever tried to murder me I would never trust a farm again.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

GeneX posted:

Ah, humanity created another sapient humanoid species. Yay.
Name one time that's ever turned out poorly for us.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Nuebot posted:

I'm just saying, if a grain harvester ever tried to murder me I would never trust a farm again.

Unfortunately for you, from what I understand all farm machinery consists of at least 75% spinning blades and exposed gears, and murdering farmers is second nature to those mechanical nightmares.

Do not trust farms.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not saying they have to glass the entire planet. But everything 2B did in that first level could have been accomplished by dropping a big rock on the facility from orbit. A really big rock. Or a nuclear warhead if you're feeling fancy. Which come to think of it is sort of equivalent to what 2B and 9S did in the end, except with a lot more trouble for no reason.

Not sure any projectile orbital bombardment would work very well when the enemy AA defense includes giant red laser cannons of doom.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Geez I didn't even think to fire the self-destruct in the bunker at all.

That was hilarious.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Geez I didn't even think to fire the self-destruct in the bunker at all.

That was hilarious.

Weird. After that encouragement it was first thing I did after saving the game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thisuck posted:

The android black boxes are fusion reactors, it would be pretty amazing if a space station didn't explode when a fusion bomb exploded inside.

I would say "this certainly doesn't have this effect elsewhere" but given that I wasn't aware self-destruct was literally a button you could hit as opposed to "cutscene fuel" for a looooong time, I'm becoming increasingly aware that I'm probably wrong.

What little temptation I had to find a guide to 100% has evaporated, though, because finding that out this is way more entertaining.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:yokotaro: man. Yoko Taro.

Somebody already said it, but really, what are the odds of humanity still being there and alive?
On the other hand, it may be too easy a twist for our Sith Lord now, so I guess if by lets say ending A* this twist hasn't triggered then humanity is still kicking. Somehow.

*defined as the first non game-over ending. I have no idea what its letter will actually be.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
But honestly, if the big reveal was "humanity was actually dead all along" would that be as surprising as the first Nier reveal (hopefully not repeated because that would be silly a second time around).

Maybe the real secret is that the moon-androids are ZAFT fighting against the Earth Alliance, and the showdown will be gundams vs cyborg androids.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Alavaria posted:

But honestly, if the big reveal was "humanity was actually dead all along" would that be as surprising as the first Nier reveal (hopefully not repeated because that would be silly a second time around).

Maybe the real secret is that the moon-androids are ZAFT fighting against the Earth Alliance, and the showdown will be gundams vs cyborg androids.

Now I want Yoko Taro to make a Gundam game. Maybe he could make Seed GOOD. Or at least less lovely.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My guess is that humanity are the aliens invading, changed after whatever fuckery they used to fuse Gestalt and Replicant, then going off to the stars because Earth was too messed up.

Speaking of which, what happened to the Sun? I seem to recall something in Nier about it never being seen or something. That said, if it's spoilery, just say so and I'll speak no more of it.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

CommissarMega posted:

Speaking of which, what happened to the Sun? I seem to recall something in Nier about it never being seen or something. That said, if it's spoilery, just say so and I'll speak no more of it.

The magic bullshit that Caim and Angelus brought over from the Drakengard universe hosed the world up so hard the sun stopped in the sky. This could mean anywhere from Earth no longer moving to the sun literally revolving in geostationary orbit around the earth. This would result in a hellbaked desert for the side with sun and an ice cube for the side that doesn't, but I suppose magic happened.

It's yet to be confirmed if that's the case still.

Materant fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 5, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Okay, so, I'm not GROUND FLOOR or anything, but...NEW ID LP YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :buddy:

Also seriously, Yoko Taro should be classified as Japan's National Treasure. I mean, the guy is just amazing. He also has a loving BLAST every time he shows up. There seems to be some correlation between Devs who are having fun and Good games being made. granted, not like Nier was SPECTACULAR, but you can tell he at least loving -tried- to make a good game, and on some levels (I saw, I haven't played it yet myself, just read Id's Nier LP which this LP is REALLY making me want to re-re-reread), he certainly succeeded.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Materant posted:

The magic bullshit that Caim and Angelus brought over from the Drakengard universe hosed the world up so hard the sun stopped in the sky. This could mean anywhere from Earth no longer moving to the sun literally revolving in geostationary orbit around the earth. This would result in a hellbaked desert for the side with sun and an ice cube for the side that doesn't, but I suppose magic happened.

It's yet to be confirmed if that's the case still.

I'm pretty sure the axis of the earth was moved, that that's what caused it?

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

Now I want Yoko Taro to make a Gundam game. Maybe he could make Seed GOOD. Or at least less lovely.
Well all of the kids in that series would end up getting the drakenguard treatment...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alavaria posted:

Well all of the kids in that series would end up getting the drakenguard treatment...

I think Bokurano is the closest we'll get to a Yoko Taro mecha series.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bokurano is the anime where like 20 kids gather to pilot a giant robot and each of them can only pilot it once because it kills them after they go, right? Yeah...that's about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
And then we'd get like the shinbone of the giant robot as a heavy weapon and that's the weapon story.

• Locked thread